CAG Gran Turismo 5 [CAG Race Night - Now Sundays at 6PM PST!]

Whoever it was I rammed off of Monza into the sand I apologize. You swooped in front of me and slammed on the brakes and I don't have to brake for that turn.

That was probably me. I have to break and was hoping to dive in a bit further and power it off, but it clearly didn't work :p Great races tonight guys! We'll be having an impromptu meet-up Thursday night at about 8:30 EDT (East Coast) to test out some track/car combos. The more the merrier :)

[quote name='SynGamer']As a Mod for the F1 forum, I'll most likely be getting a free copy...even if I don't, I will be buying this game. It looks amazing :D[/QUOTE]

Linky please to that F1 forum and Thursday will be dependent on my conditioning schedule.

[quote name='j-cart']Great racing. The touring cars were fun to race with. Should be available for next week as well.

Just to throw it out there, anyone planning on picking up F1 2011?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I will probably wait for reviews. I love F1, but I found 2010 kinda boring. It was tough to find a good balance in the settings between arcade and sim and considering the license seems to restrict them from anything creative (shuffled seasons, historic cars, historic tracks, etc.) I wish they would make whats there a bit stronger. The lack of safety car was a pretty big omission and the fact they left out the F-Duct makes me wonder how they will handle the DRS system, KERS and the new Pirellis. I think I also mentioned to Syn that I dislike the online community for F1. They take themselves a bit too seriously. Let me know if you all pick it up though as having some familiars to race against may make it worth a purchase.

[quote name='j-cart']Linky please to that F1 forum and Thursday will be dependent on my conditioning schedule.[/QUOTE]

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2011-general-discussion-1403

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I don't know, I will probably wait for reviews. I love F1, but I found 2010 kinda boring. It was tough to find a good balance in the settings between arcade and sim and considering the license seems to restrict them from anything creative (shuffled seasons, historic cars, historic tracks, etc.) I wish they would make whats there a bit stronger. The lack of safety car was a pretty big omission and the fact they left out the F-Duct makes me wonder how they will handle the DRS system, KERS and the new Pirellis. I think I also mentioned to Syn that I dislike the online community for F1. They take themselves a bit too seriously. Let me know if you all pick it up though as having some familiars to race against may make it worth a purchase.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much everything have been improved in F1 2011. I would highly suggest checking out some previews that recently came out :)

i158767_TsukubaCircuit.jpg

I forgot to look who was where. This is on the final lap. I'm on the inside of the turn. Natural Defect is the blue car in the back(I think) and J-cart is way behind us and not pictured.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bearhawk72']
i158767_TsukubaCircuit.jpg

I forgot to look who was where. This is on the final lap. I'm on the inside of the turn. Natural Defect is the blue car in the back(I think) and J-cart is way behind us and not pictured.[/QUOTE]

First, use flickr or imageshack. Second, I was so far behind because in actual reality I was about to lap you guys ;)
Or rather that is how I wish I could play that back

Thanks for the thumbnail pic tip. I kept using the enzo on the 4 minute race then nets you a half million today and i bough the ferrari f2007. I hated the formula turismo, still haven't done that championship and the ferrari isn't much better. Oh well at least it looks cool but i should have just got that bentley or saved up for the mark IV. I hope they update the online store soon and keep this money bonus thing going since i just found out about it.

[quote name='Mr. 420']Thanks for the thumbnail pic tip. I kept using the enzo on the 4 minute race then nets you a half million today and i bough the ferrari f2007. I hated the formula turismo, still haven't done that championship and the ferrari isn't much better. Oh well at least it looks cool but i should have just got that bentley or saved up for the mark IV. I hope they update the online store soon and keep this money bonus thing going since i just found out about it.[/QUOTE]

Have you tuned your Enzo's suspension in any way? I can't seem to get the thing to turn. It seems like trying to take turns at anything over 60 just leads to understeer.

The F1 cars are probably the most temperamental you will drive and there isnt really a way around it. If youre using the DS3 you should practice in the carts because the key is smooth throttle and brake control and the carts are good for picking up the habit. You basically want to roll on and off the buttons to give gradual application. It may help to get some of those triggers that people get for shooters because it gives you finer control over pedal application, but its not absolutely necessary.

I think bought all the upgrades for my enzo, and definately racing softs. I play with no traction control and steer recovery on 1. If you cut a couple of corners properly on that one lap race you can make a half million in under 3:45 which is pretty crazy.
edit
I usually don't like to buy weight reductions and engine level upgrades but the enzo was one of my first 30 cars and i might have bought those silly upgrades that can't be undone. Cool thing about when i switched my harddrive and used the cloud storage my Mcclaren F1 stealth model lost its upgrades and now i don't have those stupid upgrades that can't be undone on it. I need to buy myself a stock enzo and a stock lambo super volce, but the upgraded lambo super is beast in bright green.

There are some really helpful adjustments to be made on the formula turismo that i got from gt planet and although its the only a spec event i don't have a gold in i can't bring myself to do 120 laps for a championship in a car i don't like to drive. I guess we can save midway through the championship now but i don't know, can you save multiple times during the championship or only once.

[quote name='Mr. 420']There are some really helpful adjustments to be made on the formula turismo that i got from gt planet and although its the only a spec event i don't have a gold in i can't bring myself to do 120 laps for a championship in a car i don't like to drive. I guess we can save midway through the championship now but i don't know, can you save multiple times during the championship or only once.[/QUOTE]

You can save multiple times, but watch out because its more a suspension than a save. It actually forces you to quit the game and then the next time you start it up, you have to continue the championship or lose the progress. So dont begin it unless you are prepared to play no other GT5 until you complete it.

Why do you consider the weight and engine mods a waste? Weight mods are among the first things I do.

I'm still around, been grinding out Resonance of Fate because I got Leanne in her little pantsu skirt. That is all. Working in the heat sucks but I don't even notice it's 92 degrees anymore.

On Thursday do you think we could try going with a heavyweight race? I was thinking something 1850kg and up (over 4000lbs). I was hoping for an excuse to use the Tank Car, but that may be a bit of a stretch. Also, it is the German GP this weekend and this year its at Nurburg so perhaps we could run an F1 race if people have at least the FGT.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']On Thursday do you think we could try going with a heavyweight race? I was thinking something 1850kg and up (over 4000lbs). I was hoping for an excuse to use the Tank Car, but that may be a bit of a stretch. Also, it is the German GP this weekend and this year its at Nurburg so perhaps we could run an F1 race if people have at least the FGT.[/QUOTE]

Yes this weekend is the German GP at Nurburg. I would love to do an F1 race on that track with the FGT. Last time I was trying to do the German cars on that track to get me pumped for the F1 race.

I'm DEFINITELY up for a Formula GT race on the G/P track. We'll have to test it out tonight to see what the laptimes are and how many laps would be ideal. One of these nights we should do a few longer races; instead of our usual 5, perhaps 3 races of 7-10 laps?

I don't like buying upgrades that can't be undone, and yes i will put traction control on cars like the formula gt, but its still so garbage that you have to have a custom setup for it.

I dunno...ask most of the guys we race with and I almost always race my cars without custom setups...some cars just need some extra laps of practice ;)

That said, I'm looking forward to some testing tonight at about 8:30 EDT.

I won't be able to make it till around 9 tonight. Stuck unloading stuff at the new house, interwebs not connected there yet.

Alright, some great results tonight. FTG cars on GD/P = patience needed! We'll save that for another night. We tested out some 500PP American Muscle cars on Grand Valley East(?) and it was pretty fun. A bit more tuning is in order but that will definitely be on our list for Sunday. 5 laps seemed appropriate.

[quote name='bearhawk72']Did someone really run a 1:08 in the FGT? The closest I could get was 1:12[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I had TC on 1, Skid Recovery ON, Active Steering on MILD, and ABS on 4.

[quote name='bearhawk72']Did someone really run a 1:08 in the FGT? The closest I could get was 1:12[/QUOTE]

My laps were consistently in the 1:12 range, with my best time being just under 1:10.

On a side note, I flipped a Lotus while messing around on the Tsukuba Circuit.
Y8azRp8rxO93vS7cAXV_0.jpg

eP20bm0zanSTvsAIMwH_0.jpg

JdSTan4FPy3vzAQFFA_0.jpg

Also, does anyone remember what event you have to complete for Grand Valley East to show up in the practice section? Grand Valley East Reverse is there, but no GVE.

[quote name='Ace_Defective']My laps were consistently in the 1:12 range, with my best time being just under 1:10.

On a side note, I flipped a lotus while messing around on the Tsukuba Circuit.

Y8azRp8rxO93vS7cAXV_0.jpg

eP20bm0zanSTvsAIMwH_0.jpg

JdSTan4FPy3vzAQFFA_0.jpg

Also, does anyone remember what event you have to complete for Grand Valley East to show up in the practice section? Grand Valley East Reverse is there, but no GVE.[/QUOTE]
A quick look at the unlocks list doesn't list it. I don't think you have to unlock it.

I must have just been really tired last night(after all I did flip a car in the middle of the track). I had no problem finding GVE this afternoon, thanks anyway bear.

Nice flip, is that the last turn? How did you even manage that?

Ive only flipped two cars so far. The first time was an accident in the Cappuccino Race Car on Madrid when I cut a corner too close and the second time was intentional in a the Gallardo on Trial Mountain. I was trying to pull off a barrel roll but could get the full rotation.

It's the first turn after the start finish line.
I have noticed that if you are too aggressive with the throttle in the hairpins with that little car, the inside wheels tip up off of the ground. This time I decided to not let up on the gas, and this was the result.:cool:

[quote name='Ace_Defective']It's the first turn after the start finish line.
I have noticed that if you are too aggressive with the throttle in the hairpins with that little car, the inside wheels tip up off of the ground. This time I decided to not let up on the gas, and this was the result.:cool:[/QUOTE]

Wow, so you didnt even hit a curb? Thats just straight asking too much from the tires? I wonder if you could get it up on two wheels and drive it that way.

Daytona Rod is good for a barrel roll. Get a fast car (Vette RM worked for me), get one lap at speed. Go full throttle down the straight and don't let off going into the first chicane. Srape the wall at speed and you'll catch the barrier, which will send you seriously skyward.

Initial race line-up for tonight:

490PP Touring Cars (TC must be in the car title) - Tsukuba Circuit Reverse (5 laps)
500PP American Muscle (any year) - Grand Valley East (5 laps)
550PP FR (any car) - Nürburgring GP/D (4 laps)

Other races will be determined later tonight.

Good racing! Natty's LFA is SICK SICK SICK!

Official scores would be:

Natural D - 0+1+0 = 1
smthng - 1+0+1 = 2
Bearhawk - 2+2+2 = 6
Syngamer - 3+3+3 = 9

The scores include the first race on Nurburgring. Even with the rematch, the end scores wouldn't have made anyone change places.

Sorry about the bumping and grinding on the Muscle Car race, Bear... Every time I had a clean pass in a corner, you'd cut down in front of me. Our cars were on completely different lines due to the weight and handling.

If anyone wants to see a proper flip i flipped a Bugatti about 7 or 8 times and saved my replay from the Indy 500 course.

The online dealership just flipped and is loaded up with lots of cool classics. I highly recommend buying pretty much the entire first page at a minimum... I sense a "small classic car" race in our near future. :)

Races tomorrow night, 9pm EST!

• Karts - custom track, shared.
  • Mini Marcos - 425pp max, sport soft tires - Eiger Norwand Short track, 4 laps (the Marcos is in the online dealer now for cheap, snag one).
  • 450pp FR, sport soft, minimum 1400kg weight - Cape Ring Inside - 4 laps. If we have 6 or more racers, this will be a "grudge match"... No rules... Get around the track any way you can as long as the game counts it as a complete lap... Feel free to plow into others, cut corners, ride walls, etc. Damage will be set for light.

Boost will be high for all tracks!

To download custom track for cart race...
Go to Community - click on me (smthng) - go down and click on the course icon - click on my course (CAGkart July 21) - press X to open it, then press X on the download button. Once complete, you have the course. I've found that I can only practice it by creating my own lounge and selecting it under My Courses, but there may be an easier method I don't know of yet.

I' going to be late, 9:30 at the earliest. Got held up by parental units. Syn, plz snag my track beforre trying to host, you can't download from inside the lobby.

If no one else shows up by 9'15 I'm going to close the room for the night. So far it's only Bear and myself...

EDIT: Signed off. Hopefully next week we can get more people on. This at least gives us more time to work on some race combos.

Just got home... Sorry I missed you guys, but I probably would have voted to cancel as well.

I cut my parents off and did a two hour drive back to make it. Had I known it was a no show, i would have finished emptying out my storage unit so I wouldn't have to do the trip again. Each trip with my Jeep and trailer is about $100 in gas. Sorry, but for future races, I'm going to have to assume that only peeps who reply and say "I'll be there" will actually show. I can't blow the time it takes to make it hoping we'll have a decent showing. Syn and I actually spent a fair bit of time trying to come up with some interesting combos to try to get some decent races. If you don't like them, post up suggestions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed at anyone or anything, I just don't want to waste my time and effort for an empty race.

BTW, if anyone has any suggestions for where to find other regular races, PM me. I like the game but it's a whole lot more fun with 8 or more regular racers.

Syn, sorry I couldn't make it on time, but I doubt it would have mattered.

bread's done
Back