CAG GTAIV Night: Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel[ 9/2 @ 10pm EST ]

It was constantly locking up on me and freezing last night :(

I got to play for about an hour....then it was just unusable. :( :( :(

Rofl yeah the race was awesome. I like Mafia work, but the missions are just too random. One game, none of the missions started near me, and by they time I got to them, the mission ended. :(

Oh yeah and the zombie.. pretty cool.. lol the first time I saw it, it reminded me of Joe Higashi from Fatal Fury games for some reason.

[quote name='smiggity']Ya the ranking system is messed up...Ive been a level 3 on four seperate occasions, and every time i start up again Im back @ level 2. Kind of pisses me off.[/quote]

Level 1 again for the second time today. :whistle2:x

[quote name='Zoglog']anyone up for playing tonite?

btw I got the zombie at lvl 1 so not sure what triggers it[/quote]

Do you mean Thursday night? I should be around after CSI (about 10pm EST).

EDIT: WTF was I thinking? Lost is on at 10:00! I'll be on after 11:00.

[quote name='metaly']Level 1 again for the second time today. :whistle2:x[/quote]

This is after the patch? I cant check and see if I went back to a level 2 until later, but I was hoping the patch would solve that problem!

[quote name='smiggity']This is after the patch? I cant check and see if I went back to a level 2 until later, but I was hoping the patch would solve that problem![/quote]

Sadly, yes. The stats still seem pretty unreliable at this point. I was checking the leaderboards last night and it didn't even have a listing for me for Turf War, which I've done on multiple occasions, so I guess I lost all the money earned from that and whatever other games didn't get recorded.

I'm not sweating it too much since it's not like CoD4 where levels actually affect the gameplay. I do want more outfits, though. :)

The weird thing is, every time I go back down a level, I still have all the gear unlocked. Hopefully they get this cleared up soon!

Kotaku (and apparently Rockstar) just posted some explanation for multiplayer that may offer some explanation about ranking up:

Game Mode Descriptions
• Player Match – Results here do not count towards your GTA IV multiplayer ranking. There are separate leader boards for these modes. With Custom Matches, players can host matches where they can reserve spots for friends. Players can be invited into games in progress.
• Ranked – In ranked games, the more player cash a player wins, the higher their rank increases. After gaining a rank, the player unlocks more clothing options for their character. Players cannot invite friends into ranked games.
I can't remember seeing "Ranked" anywhere, just Quick, Custom, and Party. If it's true you can't play ranked games with friends, then that's pretty lame.

Anyway, a couple more points I found interesting:

• You can talk to your friends on headsets during the modes. You can even have a one to one conversation with a friend by calling him/her through your in-game mobile phone.
I started getting a call from StrandedBrit in one game and couldn't figure out what was going on. :) Not sure how useful this will end up being outside of public games, especially if you have to keep the phone out.

• A player’s gamertag will disappear whenever that player crouches or uses cover.
That explains why my teammates kept shooting at me while playing Bomb da Base. :bomb:

[quote name='metaly']Kotaku (and apparently Rockstar) just posted some explanation for multiplayer that may offer some explanation about ranking up:

I can't remember seeing "Ranked" anywhere, just Quick, Custom, and Party. If it's true you can't play ranked games with friends, then that's pretty lame.

Anyway, a couple more points I found interesting:

I started getting a call from StrandedBrit in one game and couldn't figure out what was going on. :) Not sure how useful this will end up being outside of public games, especially if you have to keep the phone out.

That explains why my teammates kept shooting at me while playing Bomb da Base. :bomb:[/quote]

My brother has a (gasp!) xbot360 and the phone is set up like player and ranked, so that was for the Xbot version. Nice to have the private chat feature when someone on ur team has a really annoying mic or something, and NO the phone does not have to stay out for the call to continue. I really like that feature. Its better than muting everyone.

Edit-Just logged on to check my rank and sure enough, back to level 2.

[quote name='metaly']Kotaku (and apparently Rockstar) just posted some explanation for multiplayer that may offer some explanation about ranking up:[/quote]

Where is the PDF file that Kotaku mentioned? I can't seem to find it.

I just got this and want to play tonight, I'm on a few people's friend list from Warhawk, but anyone else feel free to add me.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']So how many are thinking about playing tonight?[/quote]

Me:bouncy:, even though I'm not that used to the controls yet.

I've never done multiplayer with this game, let me see if I have this right, all I have to do is be playing and someone will "call" me in game to invite me?

[quote name='mguiddy']I've never done multiplayer with this game, let me see if I have this right, all I have to do is be playing and someone will "call" me in game to invite me?[/quote]

Yep.
The phone comes up in the corner of your screen and you either accept or deny it!

200th post!

[quote name='mguiddy']I've never done multiplayer with this game, let me see if I have this right, all I have to do is be playing and someone will "call" me in game to invite me?[/quote]

Yup. You'll hear a beep and see "invite received" above the map on the left of your screen. Then, go to the cell phone and to "multiplayer" and under "invites" will have whoever invited you. Just click on that.

Yeah, usually the host or someone in the same server will send you an invite to join... Would you happen to know who's hosting tonight?

I'll host. But it really doesn't matter who does it. If anyone is on and wants to start hosting I say have at it. Everyone is on someones buddy list ...

I got an invite from xxx but then it said something like "server unavailable" or something...

If anyone sees this send me another invite.

well right now its only me and strandedbrit, anyone else out there waiting to join and needs an invite? i guess i should add more people to my friends list from here

What ports do you guys have open?

I managed to play by putting my PS3 in the DMZ.

Next week we need to do more actual games, instead of just messing around. Which is fun, but gets boring after a while.

Yeah we didn't really do a lot of games, because really in the first hour we only had 3/4 people and people kept coming and going. Oh well.

Tuesday night we should have a better turn out and we'll do more game types.

Actually just lucked into a pair of tickets to see Tiger Army tomorrow night, so I won't be around. Dang...I was looking forward to it, too.

Yea, guess we were preoccupied with finding helicopters last night. Next time someone speak up! But, I guess they made a damn fine game if you can just run around a city for 3 hours doing basically nothing and enjoy it.

Ghost_Face were you having problems connecting last night to the party or were you trying to get me to join a game you already had going? Seems like we sent invites back and forth like 10 times.

[quote name='mguiddy']:wall::wall::wall::wall:
"This game session no longer exists."
:wall::wall::wall::wall:[/quote]

If anyone is having this problem, try putting your PS3 into the DMZ in your router. It either worked for me or the problem fixed itself right after I did it.

To me it seems that GTAIV uses non-standard ports (for the PS3) and Rockstar didn't bother to tell anyone.:roll: That and/or UPnP is messed up (or missing) in the game.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Yea, guess we were preoccupied with finding helicopters last night. Next time someone speak up! But, I guess they made a damn fine game if you can just run around a city for 3 hours doing basically nothing and enjoy it.

Ghost_Face were you having problems connecting last night to the party or were you trying to get me to join a game you already had going? Seems like we sent invites back and forth like 10 times.[/quote]
By the time I was getting board people started leaving... so I figured why say "Hey, lets play a real game."
But yeah, speeding down the highway to the airport to check for helicopters was awesome.

Alright, game on tonight for 10pm EST.

We'll try some different game modes but it all depends on turnout.

If we are 8 peeps or under we'll go against others on the main servers.

If we get over 8 we'll just do one big CAG night.

I'll start a free roaming game a little before 10 and have it run for 15 mins. After that we'll start the different game types.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Yea, guess we were preoccupied with finding helicopters last night. Next time someone speak up! But, I guess they made a damn fine game if you can just run around a city for 3 hours doing basically nothing and enjoy it.

Ghost_Face were you having problems connecting last night to the party or were you trying to get me to join a game you already had going? Seems like we sent invites back and forth like 10 times.[/QUOTE]

I was hosting matches, and playing with some people I work with. I was trying to invite you guys to play. I like hosting matches, because most people don't seem to even change maps, settings etc. One example I can think of is in a deathmatch with like 4 people, the host left the map on for the whole city instead of switching to a smaller map.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']probably wont be there right at 10, but i should be on later. most likely around 1130 or after[/QUOTE]
Same here.

I'll give people 15 mins to join up. Doesn't look like a decent turnout in which case I'll late the late birds form up closer to midnight seeing as I won't be up then.

bread's done
Back