CAG in the Press/Media

I was playing Halo the other day and someone saw the clan name - he exclaimed to his buddy 'Dude, he goes to cheapassgamers.com!' :)

Didn't necessarily think this tidbit needed it's own thread (though I'm sure one will pop up anyways when the resident PA freaks see it), but Tycho linked to amusedtoe's DS Lite thread on Penny Arcade's front page. Heeeeeello server strain!

[quote name='Tycho']Someone over at Cheap Ass Gamer picked one up at about the same time, and there's a thread full of photos where he answers reader questions. It is so thorough that I hardly know what to add. To my mind, this is the actual DS and the other one is a ragged impostor - I feel like that strikes the proper tone. I can tell you something I haven't seen elsewhere though, something that will be important to you if you decide to replace yours after the US launch or for any other reason. Your online identity is tied to your specific DS, and I know how to transfer that identity to a new piece of hardware. I thought the mechanism they used was kind of clever, or else I wouldn't make a specific point of it.[/QUOTE]

Edit: Sunuvabitch, beaten by 23 minutes. He even made the same joke.

The latest copy of Video Business mentioned CAG in their Grey Market for 360 article.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6357370.html

I can't remember if the article required login or not, so here's the whole thing:

Grey market for Xbox 360 games
Asian versions without region-locking creates cheaper U.S. option
By George T. Chronis 7/28/2006

JULY 28 | Many third-party publishers are distributing their Xbox 360 games in Asian territories such as Taiwan and Singapore without region-locking, creating a source of relatively inexpensive inventory for the U.S. market.

The titles retain English-language soundtracks and menus and are playable on U.S. Xbox 360s without modification to the hardware. What’s more, the games sell for $20 less than the $59.95 U.S. MSRP and can be shipped to the U.S. for as little as $3, presenting online shoppers a greater savings than the traditional 25% wholesale discount of $15 available to retailers.

There are currently 12 such titles distributed in Asia, although there is little data on their impact in the U.S. market. Four of the titles have U.S. versions that were on NPD Funworld’s June Top 20 bestseller list (Hitman: Blood Money, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Moto GP ’06 and Call of Duty 2). Two other titles that also can be purchased in Asia, X-Men: The Official Game and Tomb Raider: Legend, were on May’s Top 20 list.

Savvy gamers are aware of the unlocked Asian versions thanks to Web sites such as CheapAssGamer.com.

Microsoft said “market conditions” have led the company to price Xbox 360 titles sold in Asia at $40. Although its own first-party games are region-locked to deter sales of these lower-priced titles in the U.S or Europe, Microsoft does not force third-party publishers to region-lock their games or prevent them from selling below $40 if they choose.

Activision and Ubisoft publish eight of the unlocked Asian Xbox 360 games combined. Executives at the two companies were unavailable to comment on U.S. sales of the Asian versions.

American retailers might be at a price disadvantage on these 12 titles, but Michael Pachter, managing director of research at Wedbush Morgan Securities, says dealers have little to worry about for now.
“I think that the impact will be small, mostly because the installed base of Xbox 360 hardware in Asia is so small. Thus, it’s unlikely that more than a small number of these software units will be imported,” Pachter said.

Cheap Ass Gamer was mentioned in the magazine Games For Windows - Issue 08 - July 2007, page 44.

The article is called "Free Play" and the columnist, The Freeloader, references CAG. Here's a scan:

CAG got a nod on the latest (7/31) show of GameSpot's "The HotSpot" referring to the PS3 price drop that speedy leaked, as well as the 360 price drop.

It can be heard at 1:55 to 2:30.

Just saw a mention of CheapyD on "Inside XBOX - Pick Up & Play" (May 19)!

(It's the in the Inside Xbox tab at the dashboard)

Yep. It was mentioned on the latest CAGcast. As Shipwreck said, it is like an advertisement for CAG. Very neat stuff.

bread's done
Back