CAG Killzone 2 Game Night [Currently Inactive]

Sorry for not playing for a couple weeks guys been hella busy at the moment, i'll be in for Saturday night this week.

I'm not much into this game. The online portion of Killzone 2 was supposed to be a sort of cross between Call of Duty and Team Fortress 2, so naturally it was a day-1 buy for me (and I'm a total CAG). I was expecting my new lover to arrive in the mail, beautiful and pure, but instead I found an abomination that reeked of stale gameplay and didn't even seem to notice I was there.

Firstly, I defy any game that forces you to play for hours and hours just to be on an even level with everyone else. The first five hours (possibly more) of multiplayer are hell, because everyone else has extra abilities and weapons, where you're just a grunt. Target practice. Target practice in a game with auto-aim. You stand absolutely no chance, and not only does that mean KZ2 is as far from a competitive game as can be, it also means it's not fun. Even more than that, it's unfun. Painful.

Even when you get the classes, they're boring. They're not dynamic, they don't play off each other as in Team Fortress. There's an overpowered sniper, a tank with rockets or grenades for the first minute of his life (the online FPS version of premature ejaculation), and a lot of guys with rapid-fire assault rifles. These aren't classes -- you scarcely play a different role on the battlefield whether you're a medic or a tactician. You just run around and shoot people. No strategy, no depth, just constant shooting.

Killzone 2 does nothing revolutionary, or to move FPSes forward. And that’s fine and everything, I preordered it knowing that. Games like Quake, Unreal, and Call of Duty thrive by just doing what other games do very well. Killzone 2 just didn't turn out to be one of those games.

I stopped playing Killzone 2 a couple weeks after getting it because the multiplayer mode was a sham. The classes are boring and most of them are useless, there’s no concept of territory, and all in all it’s just a mindless fragfest. The first five hours it took to earn the medic badge were draining enough, but once I got that I played this orgasmic match running around healing and killing. Unfortunately, it seems only about one in five matches are that fun, making K2 online severely inconsistent. Multiple modes in one game is a cool feature, but overall it just tells players to run around the map randomly more since there isn’t a singular objective. Grenade spam (find a repaired ammo box and let loose, you get tons of kills) and one-shot-kill headshots are a big damper, too.

Have you tried to set the settings so you only end up with people your rank? The other weapons and abilities don't give that much of an advantage. I actually think the best weapon is the ISA rifle. Great range and plenty of ammo. You're probably still just getting use to the controls.

I've got a problem with Killzone 2, isn't this game a first person shooter? Everytime I pull the trigger I throw the grenade and when I go to look down the scope I crouch. What kind of shooter doesn't even let you shoot!?!? Oh, and the online sucks cause when I go online I ask people through my headset if this is Call of Duty or Team Fortress, they just shoot me. I stopped playing Killzone 2 a couple weeks after getting it because the multiplayer mode was a sham.

Anyways, looking forward to next week's game. Hopefully we get a good attendance number.

I do have to admit I'm getting tired of public multiplayer matches. It seems like at least 50% of every game is filled with one team camping the shit out of the other. Not only are they camping around spawn grenades, but the home spawn point as well. Clan games never get tiring though. Can't wait till the next clan night.
If anyone is interested in getting ribbons, I'm open. I'm 3 assassination defends and 7 search and retrieve ribbons away until I've collected all my online trophies. Going for Platinum :)

@godly: hahahahaha

@invin: ya ive never been a pub fan, always liked playing with cags more since they know if they do something stupid, everyone will talk crap about em on the forum :D do you mean u want to ribbon-whore? or just try for ribbons in the next game. to ribbon-whore i think youd need at least 4 people. id be up for whoring the melee ribbons since ill never get that one normally :p

I'd be up for ribbon-whore sessions too.
My K2 report card says that, although I'm an A+ student in all things medic, seems like I have to go to summer school for the Engineer class. I can't seem to ever get 5 kills with turrets even after reading whoever it wrote it's blog about class tips. :oops:

Yeah ribbon whore sessions!
hm.. I thought the Engineer class would be easier now since the patch. So many people are Tacticians and sending out airbots. It's always a race in the beginning to get your bot out before the other people on your team do. Just set a turret in a good location and mow down them bots.

I thought the airbots were practically invincible to turrets now after the patch and people are not dumb enough to get killed by turrets now that the game's been out so long.

This is prob. a dumb question, but do you have to join one of the CAG clans to play in game night? because i would love to play but i have my own clan

[quote name='gocolts18']This is prob. a dumb question, but do you have to join one of the CAG clans to play in game night? because i would love to play but i have my own clan[/QUOTE]
Nope, you can still join. It's easier if you have a few clan members on your friends list to find the game. After you find the game, just enter the password (shaqfu) to join.

Clan matches are different, obviously.

This is such an amazing game. I can't believe how there are only several of us still around despite the game being released not even half a year ago. :whistle2:(

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I need to play this... I think it's been a month since I have... too much other things to play.[/QUOTE]

lol same here except no play at other games
i've been working too much

So what's the deal? Is this night still going on on Thursdays? I'm hopping back in to KZ2 and want to play every week now.

I'm willing to show up every Thursday. We still haven't had a clan night with the new maps. Still wondering where Salton disappeared to..

I'd like to host, but Thursday nights are bad for me. I am going to start running a regular Map Pack room, though:

CAG-MAP PACK 1&2

I'll turn off the "same rank" requirement when I run it, so all CAGs will be able to see it.

It'd probably be more likely that the clan match happen next week, given that many people will be out of town for the holiday. So I'll tentatively schedule the next clan match for next Thursday.

Can someone please host?

ya, press X in the factions tab.

oh, did you ask "how'd you switch?" i thought i heard "why'd you switch?" mah bad.

lets try again next week. i know there are a lot of people with kz2 out there, there has just been so many broken clan night dates thats they probably dont bother anymore. weve got to get people interested again.

Arg.. That was pretty disappointing. Glad you guys got on. Sorry for the wasted time. If anyone has ideas on how to make this more successful, please post!

I updated the OP. We just need to keep this thread active and people will start to come back. Couple consistency with the new PS3 owners from the Best Buy bundle and we should have some new blood coming in as well.

Thanks for everyone who showed up!

Alright. I'll be showing up every Thursday. I'll host again if no one else wants to do it. I'm guessing I should only put the smaller maps (Radec, Tharsis..) into the rotation.

bread's done
Back