CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

For some reason I thought I did my last weigh in last Friday, not the 13th. Did my weigh in last night and was just under 209 (208.6-208.8) so I'll stick with 209 as my weight in number. Feels good so far, if I would be doing more cardio vs lifting I think that number would be lower but I'm not hung up on it. I tend to walk a lot, most days 4-5 miles, and I absolutely loathe running.

Hoping to be under 205 by next friday. I don't watch my diet as much as some of you guys, it's neat that you guys can live on a rigid schedule like that but it just isn't for me. I try to limit myself to junk food, usually every other day. No red meat for me, just personal preference/reasons. Maybe at some point I'll drop cookies/pizza, but for right now I don't mind a few cookies after my veggie snack lol.

Typed this on my phone, so if it looks stupid sorry.

Yeah, I don't know if I could do a strict diet regimen either. I try to stay away from processed foods as much as I can by eating a lot of fruit, but it's kinda hard to avoid. It's just so damned tasty!:D

[quote name='dohdough']Yeah, I don't know if I could do a strict diet regimen either. I try to stay away from processed foods as much as I can by eating a lot of fruit, but it's kinda hard to avoid. It's just so damned tasty!:D[/QUOTE]

I know right? My thoughts on the whole diet is this. My body doesn't need to get used to having xxxx amount of calories per day, coming from x, y, and z food, because at some point in time I am not just going to eat that food. At that point, I don't need my body to go into "food shock" because my diet changes and immediately gain weight. As long as I exercise regularly and don't eat a ton of crappy foods I feel like I'll be just fine.

For me, I can't even go all out on cheat meals. Ever since I moved to high protein and fat, carbs give me terrible diarrhea (to be blunt).

Sugar really hurts my stomach when I eat too much now. Like a bag of candy kills me.

[quote name='seanr1221']For me, I can't even go all out on cheat meals. Ever since I moved to high protein and fat, carbs give me terrible diarrhea (to be blunt).

Sugar really hurts my stomach when I eat too much now. Like a bag of candy kills me.[/QUOTE]

I can definitely see the candy killing you, any candy I eat makes me sick. And ya, thats what I'm trying to avoid. The whole body dependence on just one type of meal, though if it works for you it works for you don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to hate on what works for you.

[quote name='Javery']Awesome! Keep it going! What is 4-Hour Body? Is that another Insanity-type exercise routine? I saw some crazy infomercial this morning where some chick was basically dancing to lose weight![/QUOTE]

4-Hour Body is mostly dietary, a seeming blend of Paleo and Slow-Carb diet. Book author is Tim Ferriss, somewhat known for his self-experimenting.

Lost the 30+ pounds strictly through diet, and I ate like crazy. Cut out all fruit, all dairy, everything white (except cauliflower, sauerkraut and egg whites =), added slow carbs (beans and legumes), as well as healthy veggies, to meat, fish, eggs, etc. You get one cheat day a week, which I recommend, as it not only staves off cravings, but jolts the body into overdrive, especially once you're on 'the diet' again the next day.

Started working out a few months back and kicking it into high gear now. A lot easier when the excess weight is already gone.

Diets, eh? Well, I'm vegan. No issue sliding between vegan and vegetarianism, tho. Minus dairy. Not a fan. Or honey, come to think of it. And I'm not a fan of eggs— Hmm. But yeah, I try to consume as little sugar as possible and keep my salt intake down.

Like what Sean said, I can't eat things with high amounts of sugar without feeling ill. Recently, I discovered that I actually get ill at the smell of meat. I was out and said, "Eh, some meat won't kill me," and ordered some fish. Plopped that sucker into my mouth and became pretty nauseous. I spit it out and lost a few Man cards.

I GUESS I'M STUCK THIS WAY.

In regards to less rigid diets that work, I recommend the Dolce diet. Mike Dolce has apparently devised something that has helped a lot of fighters. Some people swear by it.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I don't watch my diet as much as some of you guys, it's neat that you guys can live on a rigid schedule like that but it just isn't for me.[/QUOTE]
fwiw, the stuff I eat (it doesn't change much) is stuff I like to eat, so it's easy to stick to my regimen, but I'm also not totally depriving myself. If the guys at work pick up some pizzas, I'll have a couple slices.

[quote name='Allnatural']fwiw, the stuff I eat (it doesn't change much) is stuff I like to eat, so it's easy to stick to my regimen, but I'm also not totally depriving myself. If the guys at work pick up some pizzas, I'll have a couple slices.[/QUOTE]

Same. I like my diet routine. Also, it is unrealistic to think I'll never eat bad food at some point. I'm strict most of the time but I'll go off the routine a few times a week. It works for me.

[quote name='Allnatural']fwiw, the stuff I eat (it doesn't change much) is stuff I like to eat, so it's easy to stick to my regimen, but I'm also not totally depriving myself. If the guys at work pick up some pizzas, I'll have a couple slices.[/QUOTE]

Definitely had to look up what fwiw on urban dictionary but I know what you mean. Sticking to similar routines makes paying attention to the amount of fats/sugars/salts that you eat. If I could have pizza everyday I would, but it is absolutely awful for you lol.

Chase, I've always thought about cutting more meat products out of my life bit just haven't made the jump. The one thing I have done is cut out red meat, but I can't give up chicken/turkey. Dairy is a huge part of my life (I'm living in Wisconsin, if there isn't multiple meals in a week that don't involve cheese you're doing it wrong). Very cool that you made the jump. How long have you been vegan?

If you've found something that works, stick with it. :) That's why there are so many legit diets out there. Some work. Some don't work as well. Everyone's different. I'm pretty rigid with my diet so when I go out to eat with friends, or on dates, I have to know exactly what I'm putting into my body. Definitely bothersome sometimes. Sometimes, amusing for others.

Hey, Troy. I've been vegan off-and-on throughout my adult life. This latest stretch has been eight months. :) When I'm not vegan, I just go the vegetarian route. My vegetarianism started way back at the beginning of college. I was a fat kid and did some awful things to my body to get where I am today.

And I imagine cutting out dairy in Wisconsin is a crime punishable by up to a year of jail time and 48-hours of mandatory cheese-eating. ;) In my head, it's easy to keep in my vegan pocket because a.) meat now causes nausea, b.) I remember eating turkey/chicken, discovering hard lumps while chewing and being grossed out, c.) there are plenty of options for protein and nutrients. Nutrition has come a long, long way since I was a kid. Seitan and various beans pack a lot of protein. I drink soy milk for calcium, vitamins, and extra protein. I take Animal Pak for most of my vitamins. In general, meat isn't exactly suited for humans, and there's just a lot of ways to fortify my system without it.

Tuesday Weigh-In

Height: 6'0
Starting Weight (1/1): 250.6 lbs
Last week's Weigh-in: 217.8 lbs
This week's Weigh-in: 214.0 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost this week: -3.8 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost total: -36.6 lbs
Goal weight (200 lbs): 14.0 lbs to go

I have to admit, I'm shocked I was able to drop as much weight this week that I did. I missed out on 2 workout days due to work and the holiday yesterday. Not to mention, I've been eating a little more foods from the snack aisle, than regular food. I'm still staying within my WW points (one of the reasons I like Weight Watchers) but they definately are not as filling, which makes it a little tough on the family members...I tend to get crabby when I'm hungry. This week, I'm staying away from that stuff.

I'm shooting to be under 210 this week...I think I can.

83 - you must feel awesome. You could be under 200 by the end of March - there's no better feeling that seeing the scale say 1XX lbs. after working so hard. Keep it up!

[quote name='DestroVega']83, 36 pounds in 7 weeks? Is that right?? I think it says you started 1/1[/QUOTE]

Yup, I lost 15 of them in the first 10 days, and then I've been averaging between 2-4 per since. I think it was because I was consuming so many calories before, that when I started my Weight Watchers and cardio exercise, it was such a shock to my system it reignited my metabolism.

I fully expect to plateau any day now, at which point I'll need to run a marathon or eat a piece of chocolate cake or something to confuse the hell out of my body...I'm leaning towards the cake. ;)

[quote name='Number83']Yup, I lost 15 of them in the first 10 days, and then I've been averaging between 2-4 per since. I think it was because I was consuming so many calories before, that when I started my Weight Watchers and cardio exercise, it was such a shock to my system it reignited my metabolism.

I fully expect to plateau any day now, at which point I'll need to run a marathon or eat a piece of chocolate cake or something to confuse the hell out of my body...I'm leaning towards the cake. ;)[/QUOTE]

FWIW, you are going about this exactly the right way. 2-2.5 lbs. per week is a great pace. It may not seem like much but if you look ahead and said by Memorial Day you would be in the mid 180s you'd take that in a heartbeat.

One thing I've noticed since focusing on eating better/working out is I've been sleeping much better. Usually would wake up 2-3 times per night, but I've been sleeping like a baby lately. It isn't that I am tired during the day, but once 10:30-10:45 hits I feel like I got hit by a bus full of tired pills.

[quote name='perdition(troy']One thing I've noticed since focusing on eating better/working out is I've been sleeping much better. Usually would wake up 2-3 times per night, but I've been sleeping like a baby lately. It isn't that I am tired during the day, but once 10:30-10:45 hits I feel like I got hit by a bus full of tired pills.[/QUOTE]

This is true for me too. Everything feels better when your body is healthy. As much as I work out, I actually have more energy during the day (until about 10 p.m. when I hit the wall and can't even think straight) and I seem to be more motivated to get shit done in general.

Great job Number 83! You will hit your goal in no time.

I had a great day today at the gym. Set 3 personal best records today:

400 lb. leg press - Managed 4x5, couldn't do it on the first rep of the 5th set.
325 lb. dead lift - Took sean's advice and did 1x5 and moved it to my leg workout day.
500 meter breaststroke - 12 minutes even.

Pretty happy about the leg press since I've been trying to get to 400 lbs. for a couple weeks now.

Also, I clocked in at 190.9 lbs. this morning. Here I come 180's :).

Yeah definitely keep the deadlift at a 1x5. I do a 2x5 of 135 as warmup to make sure everything feels good. Congrats on the personal record.

I'm happy to say that in week 7 of strong lifts I've overcome all my previous plateaus.

Squat 195 (was 135)
Deadlift 200 (was 185)
Overhead press 80 (never used to do these)
Bench 150 (was 135)
Row 130 (was 100)

Not to mention my isolated and pulley exercises went up and I wasn't even focusing on them!

Standing bicep curl 50 (was 35)
Tri rope pull down 60 (was 40)
Seated rows 160 (was 120)
Skull crusher 70 (was 40)
Etc.

Really liking this program.

Impressive stuff, Blindinglights and Sean. I have been using two 50-pound dumbbells for my dumbbell bicep curls for a while. I need another Olympic bar. Less chance for injury with the bar. :)

I don't have any facts about swim records, but 12 minutes for the 500-meter breaststroke sounds really good.

About to attack (see: drag through) a workout before work.

It'll be this minus the tire 'cause I'm just not in the mood to do that in the morning.

http://youtu.be/bTXNghcezC0

Short, simple, and effective.

So still 198lbs from my first post in Sept., but haven't really got off my lazy ass since then either.
Been to the gym 3 times this week, so hoping to keep up the momentum.

[quote name='perdition(troy']It's the first 2-3 weeks of regularly working out that are the hardest for me, but after that it is easy to get back into the rhythm.[/QUOTE]

I also hit a wall after 7 or 8 months. Not sure why but it always happens. It's really strange. I'm going on 1 full year with no breaks other than one week in the summer for vacation (but I ran on the beach) and one week at Christmas where I was lazy (and traveling so no gym access) - this is a good run for me.

Just got back from the bar (drank water, no liquid carbs lol) and had my first burger in 3 weeks and feel like crap. Same thing happened the last time I had a burger. Guess my body is now rejecting red meat lol

That will do it. I haven't had a burger in ages. In about a month I'll be having my annual fantasy baseball draft in AC and I'm dreading it at this point. I mean, I can't wait for the trip because it is awesome but I'm not sure my body will be able to handle it. The first night we go out to Morton's or something and spend like $1,200 on a crazy dinner. I have to order some sort of steak - I refuse to split a check and eat the salmon. Maybe the filet won't kill me. Then there's all the drunkenness. I'm dry in 2012 so far.... and I'm not sure I can go crazy anymore.

Anyway, weigh-in was this morning and I'm STILL 180.4 lbs. It's nuts. I haven't deviated from that in ages. I've been lifting a little more and I'm still doing the Insanity workouts so I think I'm toning up but still. I think I might need to crank it up in March so I'm jacked by AC. Not sure how to do that though - my gym time is maxed out right now.

Thanks for the comments Chase.

You said you were getting ready to drag through a workout... It always seems like the days I dread going end up being the best workouts after I kick my own ass all the way to the gym.

[quote name='Javery']Anyway, weigh-in was this morning and I'm STILL 180.4 lbs. It's nuts. I haven't deviated from that in ages. I've been lifting a little more and I'm still doing the Insanity workouts so I think I'm toning up but still. I think I might need to crank it up in March so I'm jacked by AC. Not sure how to do that though - my gym time is maxed out right now.[/QUOTE]

I think you just get to a point where you start seeing the results in the mirror but not on the scale.

I was stuck at 192 for weeks, but I could see the improvement in the mirror and in how my clothes fit.

Speaking of clothes, I think I might have to do a wardrobe replacement for a third time #-o.

[quote name='blindinglights']I think you just get to a point where you start seeing the results in the mirror but not on the scale.

I was stuck at 192 for weeks, but I could see the improvement in the mirror and in how my clothes fit.

Speaking of clothes, I think I might have to do a wardrobe replacement for a third time #-o.[/QUOTE]

I think this is probably true. I do see small improvements in the mirror but not on the scale - I'm fine with that.

I'm with you on the wardrobe thing - I've been rocking the same 2 pairs of pants at work for over a month just alternating every day. It's gross but I don't care - I'm not here to impress anyone. Nothing else even remotely fits. My shirts are all baggy too - I look like MC Hammer. I don't have the money to spend on new clothes right now though so it will have to wait.

I feel ya, Troy. I dunno what's been going on with my body, lately, but I went out a few days ago, and the smell of cooked beef is like the foulest body odor in my nose. Chicken isn't too offensive. Not yet, at least.

Perhaps a change in diet may help, Javery. Even a minor one. I can't remember your exact diet. But, wasn't it somewhere between a flexible "eat mostly everything" diet and a more-controlled/rigid "I monitor everything" diet? Or perhaps you could switch up your routine. Introduce some new elements so your muscles lose the efficacy associated with using the same routine for long periods of time. Make those muscles work harder.

Yeah, Blindinglights, yesterday went pretty smoothly despite getting only half my usual hours of sleep. When I began stretching, my body was like "Okay, this is going to be good. Cheer up, buttercup." Hahaha...

I skipped this morning's workout. It's come to the point where I sometimes need to use my left hand to detach my right hand from heavier weights. I'm giving my tennis elbow the morning to heal. It heals or it gets the paddle! Err, wait—

Grandpa died over the weekend and all the family came home (most moved down to Tennessee), so of course there went eating healthy for the weekend lol. Gonna have one of those you don't want to move workouts today, because I know the next few days are going to be more of the same. Feeling much better weight wise lately, jeans are getting more loose which is nice.

Sorry about your grandpa - I know what that's like and it sucks.

I'm battling a cold right now and I actually skipped the gym this morning opting for sleep instead. I feel like ass but I can't tell if it is because I didn't work out or because I'm legitimately sick. It's also one of those colds where I only feel good when I'm eating so I ate like shit all weekend. I'm back to the routine today but without the workout I feel off. I'm going to try and sneak one in tomorrow though (Tuesday is my day off from the gym usually).

Sorry to hear about your loss troy.

Javery, I'm kind of the same when I get sick. I just stay hungry all the time and eat like a bottomless pit.

Also, figured I'd do an official one of these since I haven't in quite a while:

Weekly Weigh-In

Height: 6'4"
CAG Weight Loss Challenge Starting Weight: 223.8 lbs.

Last Week: 190.9 lbs.
This Week: 189.6 lbs.

CAG Weight Loss Challenge, total lost: 34.2 lbs.

Total weight lost since I started (@ 273 lbs): 83.4 lbs. :)

Definition is really starting to show now all over. I can't make out the individual abs yet, but the outline down the sides is visible now. My quads and calves are starting to look pretty cut, and my back is looking great too.

It's weird getting used to seeing veins popping out of my arms all the time. Also, I have one on each side of my forehead which is still strange to me every time I see them in the mirror. Oh well, I guess it's better than being fat and on track to getting the diabeetus :lol:.

Dude awesome progress - 6'4" and 190 sounds pretty freaking great to me. I'm 180 but only 6' and there's almost nothing left to lose!

Sorry for your loss Troy...Hang in there!
___

Reading all of the other comments, all I have to say is nice job everyone! Keep up the great work!

___

Tuesday Weigh-In

Height: 6'0
Starting Weight (1/1): 250.6 lbs
Last week's Weigh-in: 214.0 lbs
This week's Weigh-in: 206.2 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost this week: -7.8 lbs
Pounds Gained/Lost total: -44.4 lbs
Goal weight (200 lbs): 6.2 lbs to go

Inspiried by all the positive comments (Thanks, Everyone!), and by seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I decided to hit the gym hard this week. I still did 40 minutes of cardio, but I made it a point not to take walking breaks mid-run like I normally do and just do sprints and slow jogs to rest. Not only did I increase my miles run, but I think it sped up my metabolism even further (either that or it was the chicken nuggets on Saturday ;)). I cannot beleive I dropped almost 8 lbs this far into my diet. I may have to worry about rebound this week.

Speaking of rebound, all of this weight loss has seriously screwed up my basketball game...I can't make 3-pointers like I used (heck, it seems like I can't make anything anymore). My mechanics are all screwed up trying to adjust to my new dimensions ;). The only thing I have going is my endurance, so I tend to run out on the break ahead of the defense...I still miss the layups though :D.

I think I am going to adjust my goal to 190, sticking to the gym routine but letting up on the diet somewhat. However, I such a food addict, I'm afraid to do that. Another thought I had was to get to 190 and then put 10 lbs of muscle on...however I hate lifting weights. Will think about that next week...

Good luck everyone...as I said before, keep it up!

Since I started doing "2 a days" last week. (I go to bootcamp class in the morning, gym later in the evening or straight after bootcamp), I noticed a significant increase in my endurance. Usually for warm-up for bootcamp, we run around the building for 5 minutes. I usually start walking after 2 minutes but this morning, I ran the whole building without stopping.

Some of you are on weight watchers and right now, I'm on nutrisystem. I haven't weighed in since I threw away my POS scale at Wal-Mart. I'm gonna buy one of those temper-glass digital ones tonight and then I'll record my weigh-in.

I was really down to 190 3 1/2 years ago and then something happened which I almost went back to my original weight. Now I'm starting over again. Last time I weighed myself, I think I'm around 246 but I'll double check once I buy the scale and enroll in Lose It tonight.

Sorry for your loss, Troy. :whistle2:( And feel better soon, Javery.

Truly inspiring stuff to see such excellent progress, 83 and Blindinglights. Visible veins and endurance is a sign of hard work. Well done, sirs.

VLV, I know people who have said Nutrisystem and Weight Watchers helps. Those tempered glass scales are great, by the way. Good luck to you and welcome.

I've cut my workouts to 90-120 minutes. Saw my physician yesterday. Had a good discussion about my history. Tennis elbow is actually arthritis. Starting testosterone therapy soon. I'm excited. I wonder how much progress I can make when I'm actually 100-percent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Height: 6'1"
Starting weight: 268.0 lbs
Current weight: 253.0 lbs
Goal weight: 220.0 lbs

Hey guys, it's been about a month or so and I've dropped down 15 pounds. It's been very tough but I think I finally found a system of diet/exercise that works around my 70~ hour work week.

Keep up the work guys!! Us gamers need to look good on the beach this summer.

Nice work Alleran - the key is finding what works for you and sticking to it.

This morning I had to do TWO of the Insanity workouts and I thought I was going to vomit. The second one was the Cardio Abs routine and I think I did about 1/2 of it. I mean I did the whole video but could only do about 1/2 of what was being shown. Just sitting in the sit-up position was difficult... I wonder if I'll ever be able to keep up the whole time. I skipped my weekly weigh-in because I was running late. Maybe tomorrow but I know I'm exactly the same as last week...

I'm interested to see if you finally get under 180, sir. I like to think your hard work has to pay off one of these days. :)

I forgot to mention some minor things in my last post. I'm at 181, right now. Body fat holding strong at 9-percent. It's crazy 'cause the only place on my body with fat is this layer on my abdomen. I'll have to find new ab-specific exercises—despite the fact that I own and use a Weider Power Tower and Roman chair. On the plus side, with testosterone therapy, I look forward to losing that fat and putting on at least 8 solid pounds of lean muscle. I had the goods imported. Waiting for it to arrive.

Height: 5'5"
Starting weight: 245.6 lbs
Goal weight: 205.0 lbs

Sucks being Asian. Too damn short :lol:

Bootcamp kicks my ass at times. I can't even keep up with the other vets. I'm a vet since I started late July last year. I shed off about 30 seconds off my mile assessment but of course it's not 6-7 minutes average. I'm 13:30/mile person.

I mastered my breathing when running but my soles on both feet feels like burning and then I start walking.

Is it my shoes or me being flat footed?

Edit- For almost the past hour, I've been stressing out over some stuff. Whenever I stress, I usually lead myself into eating...which pretty much makes me cheat out of my own Nutrisystem diet. I defeated that "demon" (and saved $)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']I'm interested to see if you finally get under 180, sir. I like to think your hard work has to pay off one of these days. :)

I forgot to mention some minor things in my last post. I'm at 181, right now. Body fat holding strong at 9-percent. It's crazy 'cause the only place on my body with fat is this layer on my abdomen. I'll have to find new ab-specific exercises—despite the fact that I own and use a Weider Power Tower and Roman chair. On the plus side, with testosterone therapy, I look forward to losing that fat and putting on at least 8 solid pounds of lean muscle. I had the goods imported. Waiting for it to arrive.[/QUOTE]

We sound identical - 181 with only a layer of fat on my belly. I can see the lines on the sides and the top 2 abs pretty good but this little layer of fat seems impossible to get rid of!

I'm very curious to see if your testosterone therapy works. I haven't gotten into any science yet with my workouts other than a protein shake in the afternoon. I'm sure if I knew what I was doing there is some cocktail of powders that would get me to my goal...

[quote name='vlv723']Age: 28
Starting weight: 245.6 lbs
Goal weight: 205.0 lbs

Sucks being Asian. Too damn short :lol:

Bootcamp kicks my ass at times. I can't even keep up with the other vets. I'm a vet since I started late July last year. I shed off about 30 seconds off my mile assessment but of course it's not 6-7 minutes average. I'm 13:30/mile person.

I mastered my breathing when running but my soles on both feet feels like burning and then I start walking.

Is it my shoes or me being flat footed?

Edit- For almost the past hour, I've been stressing out over some stuff. Whenever I stress, I usually lead myself into eating...which pretty much makes me cheat out of my own Nutrisystem diet. I defeated that "demon" (and saved $)[/QUOTE]

How old are your shoes? If you are active (running 3+ times per week) you should be getting new shoes every 6 months. If I were you I'd make an interim goal of about 225lbs. If you break your long term goal up you will feel like you are getting results without getting down about it. That's my thinking at least...

As for the eating when stressed, I think that's normal - everyone I know does that (myself included). You just need to exert some willpower. I'm stressed pretty much all the time but whenever I'm hungry I drink a glass of water and then wait 10 minutes and the feeling usually goes away.

Keep it up!

Starting weight: 145 lbs
Goal weight: 135 lbs

Although I'm within a healthy weight for my height, I'm beginning to see the start of a beer belly look creeping up on me. I already walk around 2 miles a day from walking my puppy. I plan on getting healthier with a better diet and starting to incorporate sit-ups, push-ups, and weight lifting again.

About 3 years ago I did the original P-90X program for a month and had great results with that. I used to do that before work, but now I work a 6 a.m. - 3 p.m. shift, so I can't really get up any earlier than I do already. Might have to start setting aside a block of time when I get home after walking the dog for a mile. :)

As for shoes, I really like wearing my Vans. I walk with a limp anyway (mild physical disability), but still enjoy the act of walking very much.

Here's a funny gym story for you guys:

I left the workout center to refill my water bottle after my weightlifting routine and as I was coming back in this goofy looking white guy goes in the door ahead of me. He's either in his late teens or early twenties and he is wearing black jeans, a tight black tee (which he wasn't in shape enough to wear), a leather jacket, and a fedora that is entirely too small for his head and tilted forward and sideways at the same time.

He had his earbuds in and he was bobbing his head while he strutted towards the weight lifting equipment. I'm not exaggerating at all by the way, he was seriously pimp walking. By now I'm running on the treadmill and I have a clear view of the hilarity that is about to ensue. He walks up to the cable pull-down machine and throws his jacket and hat down on the ground next to the machine in an overly dramatic fashion. He sat down on the machine backwards, so his legs weren't locked in, and starts straining to pull the bar down. He's struggling with 90 pounds so much that the bar is wobbling side to side like a seesaw.

After cranking out three reps, he gets up and walks over to the dumbbell rack. He picks up a pair of 15 pound dumbbells and sits down on one of the benches. This guy starts doing curls and he is seriously checking his biceps out while doing them and nodding his head like he's some kind of bad ass. I notice some other young guys working on their bench press have stopped working out to watch and laugh at Mr. Fedora. He does one set of maybe six reps and puts the weights back. He picks up a 25 pound dumbbell and starts doing bent over rows with his right arm. While he's doing this, he is eyeballing this old guy (well over 80 years old) like he's going to fight him.

At this point, I'm ready for the What Would You Do camera crew to roll into the gym and everyone to start laughing. It didn't happen. He finishes five reps and puts the weight back, not even bothering with the other arm. He swings his jacket over head his to put it back on in another dramatic display. Then he puts his hat back on and starts strutting again towards the door. About halfway there, he starts shadowboxing and weaving his head side to side. At this point I'm laughing out loud and I look down to the weight lifting area and the guys down there are cracking up.

His extreme weight training program lasted a staggering five minutes. A few minutes later I see him walk by the door again but now he has a basketball and is headed towards the indoor courts. He is awkwardly moving the ball from hand to hand as if he is faking out someone while walking down the hall.

Later on when I finished my run I walked by the courts on the way to the locker rooms and noticed he had joined a pickup game with the guys in the gym. You could tell he didn't belong, the guys looked like they'd rather be playing 3 on 2 than having him "play". He was basically walking down the court and standing underneath the basket making the worst attempt at a rebound I'd ever seen.

I'm wondering if he'll show up again next week and show everyone up in the weight room again with his epic workout. :lol:

Haha - I love people like that. Here's one for you:

Some guy I never saw before came into the gym one day - he was like 5'3" maybe and no more than 120lbs wearing jeans and a wife beater. He goes straight for the bench and loads it up with 245lbs. Pretty much everyone in the room stopped to watch (he didn't have a spot). He lays down and proceeds to bang out 20 reps without struggling at all. I couldn't believe it. I asked him how the hell he got so strong and without missing a beat he says "the power of Jesus" and whips out a pamphlet from his back pocket, hands it to me and says "think about it" and he walked out never to be seen again. People are crazy.

I shall let you know of the results, Javery. My layer of fat has been a reminder of how I weighed a fat 205 in my late-teens. Just a thorn in my side, even when I was unhealthy at 135, a cardio fiend at 155, and a healthy 170 pounds. These days, I have been working out to get myself in fight shape. My diet is top-notch. My strength and cardio are at all-time highs. And while that layer is dissipating, it's still a thorn in my side. I'm amused that at 185 I don't have love handles, like I did at lighter weights, yet I still can't finally rid myself of my ol' archnemesis.

The main purpose of my testosterone therapy is to raise my test levels back to normal. In the process, it should shake the arthritis that is starting in my elbows, and, in the long-term, prevent osteoporosis. All good things.

Good luck with your goals, Milkshake. :) P90X is a solid program.

Blindinglights, that is hilarious and a little sad. :lol: Equally as interesting a story, Javery.

bread's done
Back