CAG NFL Season Discussion

Damn the local radio guy here nailed the pick. Since the Broncos didn't have a glaring need, they could take a chance on a character guy

Damn the local radio guy here nailed the pick. Since the Broncos didn't have a glaring need, they could take a chance on a character guy
I think Roby's character is fine. He was arrested for trying to break up a fight. He ran a 4.34 40, very physical for his size and is very experienced as he started for 3 years in a row. He just needs to learn how to tackle better.

I'm not very comfortable with Nate Irving at the inside. I would prefer if they went after one or two of these four, Max Bullough, Kyle Van Noy he plays outside but has the size to play inside, Chris Borland or Shayne Skov. I would really like to have Bullough on the team to bring some heavy run stopping on first and second down.

Great Browns draft, consensus #1 CB, many had Manziel as their #1, and the Browns fleece the Bills for the 1st and 4th next year for only moving down five spots.

I don't know too much about Kelvin Benjamin other than he caught the game winning TD in the BCS Championship game, but he's 6'5" so hopefully Cam can't overthrow him (too much). Any Florida State fans that can chime in and give me some info?

KB has many comparisons to Brandon Marshall, which really can't be all that bad. I was hoping Tampa would trade down to get him, but I'm perfectly happy with Mike Evans for the time being.

Holy shit. Shaun King is one big fat fuck now. I hadn't seen him for a few years until just a few minutes ago when one of those annoying autoplay videos started on Yahoo Sports.

I don't know too much about Kelvin Benjamin other than he caught the game winning TD in the BCS Championship game, but he's 6'5" so hopefully Cam can't overthrow him (too much). Any Florida State fans that can chime in and give me some info?
I'm not an FSU fan, but watched him play a lot due to him being in the ACC playing against my Hurricanes. He is very good, raw, but very good. Just a month ago he was going in the top 15 in mocks, but he slid further than I expected. I was talking to my brother about him before the draft and he agreed about him dropping so far. He is pretty much the same as Mike Evans, both former basketball players, pretty much all the same stats from the combine and both are short on experience. I think that is what the Panthers needed, Cam loves to throw to Greg Olsen and he is 6'5" as well. He is not the most accurate passer, so having another big WR will help a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevie Johnson has been traded to the 49ers for a 2015 4th round pick that can turn into a 3rd rounder depending on what he does this season.
God damn Buffalo is a horrible franchise. First they get fleeced by the Browns yesterday...and now the 49ers today. That team is never going to win anything.

I always liked Stevie, when he had Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball, 1000 yd WR three years in a row. Its a great move by the 49ers, they have a very solid group of WRs now. Plus they want to trade up and get another one like Marquise Lee.  

Looks like the Browns will be going for a WR now with Josh Gordon suspended for the season after testing positive for weed. Man what a blow, I talked him up so much last season and he delivered. Oh well.

Man, how does the league's substance policy even work anymore? I mean, can the league universally ban a substance that is legal in some states? (though, obviously, not Ohio) I can't imagine Broncos and Seahawks players are allowed to smoke up though. At what point does it bear a resemblance to disallowing alcohol?

It's time for the NFL to take weed off the drug list.

"Marijuana is not a drug" -Danny Tanner in Half Baked.

Houston decided to skip Derek Carr, likely because of him being David Carr's bro. He went to the Raiders instead.

Who's going to QB the Texans again?

The NFL's rules don't have to mirror US laws.
Yeah, I'm just trying to think of another example of an employer forbidding its employees to use a legal "product" (which is what it now is in Colorado and Washington) on their own personal time. Like I said, for Broncos and Seahawks players, that's like telling them they can't drink alcohol when they're in their home. It just makes for a very mixed up policy right now.

I guess the ONLY argument I could see is equating failing a test to being "intoxicated at work". If they want to claim that Gordon was high while on the job, then that's reasonable I guess. They probably need a better method of testing though if that's going to be their argument. I'm curious how the NFLPA would feel if it happened to a Bronco or Seahawk.

Many players have clauses in their contracts forbidding them from doing certain legal activities, like riding motorcycles, playing other sports, using legal drugs/medicine and drinking alcohol. The players agree to those terms when they join the league and sign the contracts, so it's not like they're retroactively banned from doing that stuff.

WR and TE for the first two Bucs' picks? I'll allow it! Two good receiving threats at TE as well as two big targets on the outside in Jackson/Evans, and the return of Doug Martin has me a little excited for the offense. The only question mark is QB -- can Glennon take that next step and be reliable enough to get this team back into respectability?

After missing out on Manziel and Bridgewater, Lovie Smith apparently "loves" Mike Glennon. Interesting.

I think there have been more commercials than actual footage of the draft so far today on ESPN.

The Patriots take QB Jimmy Garopplo. There's a new future successor to Tom Brady in 2020.

WR and TE for the first two Bucs' picks? I'll allow it! Two good receiving threats at TE as well as two big targets on the outside in Jackson/Evans, and the return of Doug Martin has me a little excited for the offense. The only question mark is QB -- can Glennon take that next step and be reliable enough to get this team back into respectability?

After missing out on Manziel and Bridgewater, Lovie Smith apparently "loves" Mike Glennon. Interesting.
You don't think they'll start McCown this season?

You don't think they'll start McCown this season?
Lovie came out and said Glennon is "their QB of the future". Glennon will likely win the job in preseason/training camp.

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/lovie-smith-mike-glennon-is-our-quarterback-of-the-future

About 48 hours before the NFL Draft kicked off Thursday night, rumors began to spread like wildfire that Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon, who was recently ousted in favor of veteran Josh McCown for the starting job, was on the trade block.

Bucs head coach Lovie Smith put those rumors to bed just after the Bucs selected, not a quarterback with the seventh overall pick in the first round but a wide receiver, passing on both Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater.

“Mike Glennon is our quarterback of the future here. Why would we want to add a third quarterback to the mix?” Smith asked.

“You know how much I like Josh McCown as our starter here, but I love Mike Glennon.” Both Manziel and Bridgewater had visits with the team in Tampa. The Bucs also hosted Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr and Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Garoppolo.

“Our quarterback position is as strong as, to me, any quarterback position I’ve had when I’ve been a head coach.”

Multiple reports indicated that the Bucs were seeking anywhere from a second to third-round pick in exchange for Glennon, who was taken in the third round of last year’s draft and became a starter shortly after the season began.
The QB position being his strongest? Wow. Uh. Do you realize you are coaching in Tampa nowadays, Lovie?

Houston decided to skip Derek Carr, likely because of him being David Carr's bro. He went to the Raiders instead.

Who's going to QB the Texans again?
Bill O'Brien has made it known in house he wants Ryan Mallet to be he starter. With New England taking Brady's heir apparent last night, I don't see why they wouldn't trade Mallet now even though the reports were he wasn't available.

Lovie came out and said Glennon is "their QB of the future". Glennon will likely win the job in preseason/training camp.
Except they basically told McCown he would start to get him to sign there and announced him as the starter already.

And Jay Glazer reported before the draft Lovie liked Glennon and wasn't going to draft one of the top QBs.

As far as Josh Gordon goes. I think the weed law in the NFL is incredibly stupid. You have guys killing people drunk driving, you have all the things Aldon Smith has done, and who gets the most time? Gordon, for smoking pot. It's ridiculous. Guys are surely skating the PED laws but getting high is going to ban Gordon.

That said, he should know better at this point. He can blaze up everyday in 12 years. He's a top-5 WR in the National Football League. What are you doing.

And it's not a season long ban, he'll be banned from the league entirely and then have to apply for reinstatement next year. According to Browns beat writers on Twitter.

The Browns had a good draft addressing many of their most necessary weaknesses, which WR being the only untouched position of need. They got a potential franchise QB, some RB depth, a Guard to challenge for either spot, an ILB with good coverage skills, and two promising CBs to give them more depth on that secondary so that Buster Skrine can be the great nickel CB that he is. They've already pounced on some WRs now that the draft is over, so I hope they find a few gems there.

I think the Redskins Draft was better than most would say, but they need a lot of fixing.  I'm not too keen on the Kicker pick, though.  Then again, the Redskins haven't had a good kicker since Chip Lohmiller >_>

Except they basically told McCown he would start to get him to sign there and announced him as the starter already.

And Jay Glazer reported before the draft Lovie liked Glennon and wasn't going to draft one of the top QBs.
At least one team does this every year to challenge/amp up whatever young QB they have on the roster to try and get them to step up and take the job.

I'd say it works maybe 40% of the time, but whatever.

Yeah but usually they don't announce anyone as a starter before that camp competition happens.

The Giants somehow managed to avoid drafting a TE... much to my chagrin. At least they signed Xavier Gimble from USC but our TEs will suck this year unless we pick someone up after training camp.

I'm not an FSU fan, but watched him play a lot due to him being in the ACC playing against my Hurricanes. He is very good, raw, but very good. Just a month ago he was going in the top 15 in mocks, but he slid further than I expected. I was talking to my brother about him before the draft and he agreed about him dropping so far. He is pretty much the same as Mike Evans, both former basketball players, pretty much all the same stats from the combine and both are short on experience. I think that is what the Panthers needed, Cam loves to throw to Greg Olsen and he is 6'5" as well. He is not the most accurate passer, so having another big WR will help a lot.
Thanks for the info. From everything I read since the pick, I'm getting excited to see him out on the field.

I think the Panthers had a pretty good draft. Grabbed Kelvin and also got Kony Early to add to that monster D. The only pick I'm puzzled on is the Gaffney selection given that we have a crowded backfield already. I'm assuming it was a best player available pick.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/5/15/5721320/cleveland-browns-sign-wr-miles-austin-wr-earl-bennett-soon

The Browns signed WRs Miles Austin and Earl Bennett to hopefully fill their holes in the WR group. If Austin can stay healthy and get close to his former level of play, that would be a nice pick-up for them. Earl Bennett has never seemed like more than a solid WR that never broke out beyond decent numbers, but he should be better and more reliable than crazy Davone Bess.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/467333472277643265

I hope Austin pans out for the sake of Browns' fans' sanity (I'm aware most fans lost this a long time ago) but at this point in his career he is clearly cashing in paychecks, and that's about it.

Smart move to sign Haden though. Kudos.

I hope Austin pans out for the sake of Browns' fans' sanity (I'm aware most fans lost this a long time ago) but at this point in his career he is clearly cashing in paychecks, and that's about it.

Smart move to sign Haden though. Kudos.
Come on. It's not like he's Jerry Rice at 40+ playing for Seattle. He's only 29, and was hurting much of last season.

Come on. It's not like he's Jerry Rice at 40+ playing for Seattle. He's only 29, and was hurting much of last season.
30 is the new 40 in the NFL. Been that way for years now. A guy plagued by hamstring issues will not do much in Cleveland -- I hope he does, for the sake of many-a-Browns' fans' sanity .. but I guess they lost most of that over the years to begin with. ;)

how stupid is he if that is actually true?  as a player in the NFL your body is your paycheck, don't put anything into it unless you know exactly what it is and if the medication is banned or not.  stupid hurts.

Ray Rice was obviously a piece of shit before today, but he needs to fire his PR team after that press conference. And I can't believe the Ravens are tweeting some of his comments, like it's a positive thing.

bread's done
Back