CAG NFL Season Discussion

I'm not sure why I should believe such vague details from Charlie Casserly's "source" when he literally offers no substantive details to what had been said before. Reading the article, more questions are asked than answered, so it's a poor report on the rumor. In fact, when there's some actual research put into it, this article pieces together a more logical timeline where the Browns inquired about trading for Bradford or Austin Davis and the talks went nowhere a month ago (before McCown was hired), so those talks not panning out and Brian Hoyer and his agent dropping talks about resigning with them lead to them settling on McCown for their starting QB choice for 2015. Jeff Fisher/St. Louis probably used that discussion to push Kelly/Philly to up their draft pick offerings in the trade and then Chip Kelly mentions it in his press conferences to try to make it sound like he's more of a genius than he really is after all of the criticism he received after the trade. It's a far cry from what everybody assumed had happened.

Cowboys actually signed Greg Hardy. Guess Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson might find teams after all.
You are comparing a 26 year old defensive stud to two old running backs. Rice won't get a job because he sucked in 13 but AP will.

I really hate how ESPN has made sports into tabloid garbage with their desire to compete with TMZ. If a player screws up let the legal system deal with him as long as the matter didn't take place on company time.

Pretty crazy how we as a society spent more time talking about Rice and AP then we did Hernandez and his actions. Hell he's on trial and no one at ESPN gives a damn.

Yeah but they didn't have to claim him.
You don't say? It's not difficult to understand why they claimed him. He is only 23, has shown flashes of talent, and cost them nothing to acquire. If it turns out that he is not good enough to make the final roster, who cares? Teams are allowed 90 players in camp.

Wow...about fucking time. I wish other sports would follow suit. Blackouts are so ignorant and archaic. Nobody is going to buy a ticket to the game just because they can't watch it on TV. That's not why people are in the seats...and it's not why people AREN'T in the seats. As a general rule, exposing your product to as many people as possible can only help your business.

I've been saying for years that the NFL should expand challenges. There are too many times where something obviously wrong happens and everyone watching knows it, but it's not challengeable. It's a joke that they straight up rejected all those proposals, but "table" a 9 point play proposal.

Also, probably seems minor, but linebackers wearing 40-49 just seems wrong to me.

Here’s the full list of rule proposals that passed:

Proposal No. 10, via Tennessee: Add review of the game clock on the final play of a half or overtime to the instant replay system. 

Proposal No. 16, via Baltimore: Prohibit players from pushing rushing teammates when the other team is punting, expanding the current rule in place on field goal and extra-point attempts to punts. 

Proposal No. 18, via Miami: Extend the prohibition of illegal “peel back” blocks to all offensive players. 

Proposal No. 19, via competition committee: Give an intended defenseless receiver protection in the immediate action following an interception. 

Proposal No. 20, via competition committee: Carry over unsportsmanlike conduct and taunting fouls committed at the end of a half or regulation to the ensuing kickoff. 

Proposal No. 21, via competition committee: Make it illegal for a running back to chop block a defenseless opponent outside of the tackle box. 

Proposal No. 22, via competition committee: Permit clubs to assign additional jersey numbers to linebackers. Add 40-49 as eligible numbers, in addition to 50-59 and 90-99. 

Proposal No. 23, via competition committee: Make it illegal for an offensive player with an eligible receiver’s number to report as ineligible and line up outside of the tackle box (like the Patriots did in the divisional playoffs).

Here are the proposals that were rejected:

Proposal No. 1, via New England: Coaches can challenge anything, except turnovers and scoring plays, which are already subject to automatic review. 

Proposal No. 2, via Detroit: Coaches can challenge all fouls. 

Proposal No. 3, via Tennessee: Coaches can challenge all personal fouls. 

Proposal No. 4, via Washington: All personal fouls are subject to official review (don’t need a coach’s challenge). 

Proposal No. 5, via Washington: All penalties that result in an automatic first down are subject to official review. 

Proposal No. 6, via Tennessee: Referees can enforce a foul for an illegal hit against a defenseless receiver when the on-field ruling is reversed from a catch/fumble to an incomplete pass. 

Proposal No. 7, via Indianapolis: All fouls on defenseless players are subject to official review.

Proposal No. 8, via Washington: Increase the number of coaches’ challenges from two to three. 

Proposal No. 9, via Kansas City: Expand automatic review to include plays that would result in a score or touchdown if the on-field ruling is reversed. 

Proposal No. 11, via Chicago: Add review of the play clock to determine whether or not the ball was snapped before it expired. 

Proposal No. 12, via New England: Place fixed cameras on all boundaries of the playing field (at every stadium) to get better angles for instant replay. 

Proposal No. 13, via Tennessee: Allow stadium-produced video to be used for instant replay reviews (not just the television tape). 

Proposal No. 17, via Chicago: Give both teams a possession in overtime, even if the first team with the ball scores a touchdown. 

Here are the proposals that were tabled:

Proposal No. 14, via New England: Move extra-point attempts from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line. 

Proposal No. 15, via Indianapolis: Allow for a ninth possible point on scores. After a touchdown, if a team is successful on a two-point conversion, they get to attempt a 50-yard extra point. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they should leave the extra point the way it is. Pretty much an automatic extra point but think of it this way, you got two team trading touchdowns then they head into overtime. But if they change the rules and the games ends 27-28 because one team missed a 50 yard extra point back in the second quarter then that would suck. Or a defensive game ending 6-8. You guys have played NFL Blitz right? Always going for 2 works because it's a high scoring game. You got teams in the NFL kicking field goals from the 1 because they don't want to miss getting points.

They should handle it they way NFL Blitz does, the extra point is given but you got to attempt the two point conversion if you want to go for two. Also the Colts must have been high when they suggested a 9 point possession.

Wow...about fucking time. I wish other sports would follow suit. Blackouts are so ignorant and archaic. Nobody is going to buy a ticket to the game just because they can't watch it on TV. That's not why people are in the seats...and it's not why people AREN'T in the seats. As a general rule, exposing your product to as many people as possible can only help your business.
All it took was a little pressure from the Senate for this change. Dan Patrick had a good theory on this change. He said the NFL teams that move to LA will have to play a bit in the college stadiums (rose bowl and LA Coliseum) that have 90,000+ seats and this move is in preparation of those stadiums that might face blackouts.

Go Niners (even though this offseason was murder)!!! hope the draft cures some problems.
Draft won't help the Yorks acting like they are the smartest men in the room and that's the big problem.

I like how many of the rejected changes involve expanding what can be challenged.

I still don't get how they don't have fixed cameras on the endzone line and such, because the TV cameras are always just off enough to make replays/challenges harder to judge.

Didn't know they actually punished teams for that, always assumed they should've. Never saw any sanctions against the Colts for their RCA Dome shenanigans.

Atlanta: Fined $350,000 and will forfeit 2016 5th round pick

Cleveland: Fined $250,000 and GM Ray Farmer suspended for first four 2015 games.

Meanwhile, in New England....

Atlanta: Fined $350,000 and will forfeit 2016 5th round pick

Cleveland: Fined $250,000 and GM Ray Farmer suspended for first four 2015 games.

Meanwhile, in New England....
Actually they are expecting much harsher penalties for New England, all because Atlanta and Cleveland admitted to wrong doings. With New England forcing the NFL to hire investigators, it may get worse. Sounds like they are getting closer to a conclusion on New England

Actually they are expecting much harsher penalties for New England, all because Atlanta and Cleveland admitted to wrong doings. With New England forcing the NFL to hire investigators, it may get worse. Sounds like they are getting closer to a conclusion on New England
My point was that it has taken for-ever.

The real fine was letting Farmer still draft.
OG Joel Bitonio was a serious candidate for Rookie of the Year, Pro Bowl, and the All-Pro team. Christian Kirksey played really well as a reserve ILB and pushed Craig Robertson to step his game up big time. Terrence West did well in the running game when Ben Tate failed to perform. Pierre Desir made great progress late in the season to earn a bigger role for this season. Then there are the undrafted rookies that played well (Isaiah Crowell, K'Waun Williams, and Taylor Gabriel). The first two picks didn't get off to a great start when they played, but the rest of the rookie class did quite well.

OG Joel Bitonio was a serious candidate for Rookie of the Year
He was really good last season, but he was not a serious candidate for that award. Zack Martin got a lot of press and nobody would shut up about how great the Cowboys offensive line was and he was still blown out in the voting. Odell Beckham Jr got 42 votes compared to Martin's 7 votes. Mike Evans was the only other player to get a vote and he only got 1.

He was really good last season, but he was not a serious candidate for that award. Zack Martin got a lot of press and nobody would shut up about how great the Cowboys offensive line was and he was still blown out in the voting. Odell Beckham Jr got 42 votes compared to Martin's 7 votes. Mike Evans was the only other player to get a vote and he only got 1.
He was consistently in the discussion about outstanding rookies throughout the season. The voting for the award at the end of the year doesn't mean that never happened.

He was consistently in the discussion about outstanding rookies throughout the season.
I'm not debating whether he was good or not, I already said he was. I don't completely disagree about the Pro Bowl or All-Pro comment either. He was in the discussion for both of those. Bitonio actually made Pro Football Focus All-Pro team and came in second in their ROTY voting, but that's not what were talking about.

An offensive lineman has never won OROTY and probably never will. It would be like me arguing that Joe Thomas, considered by many to be the best OL in football, was a serious candidate for Offensive Player of the Year or MVP. That's simply not true. Offensive lineman don't win these awards no matter how well they play, so how can any of them be "serious candidates"? If any guard was a serious OROTY candidate at any point, it was Zack Martin, who did make 1st team All-Pro and Pro Bowl. In the end, he was a very distant 2nd place for the award even though he had a lot of factors in his favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not debating whether he was good or not, I already said he was. I don't completely disagree about the Pro Bowl or All-Pro comment either. He was in the discussion for both of those. Bitonio actually made Pro Football Focus All-Pro team and came in second in their ROTY voting, but that's not what were talking about.

An offensive lineman has never won OROTY and probably never will. It would be like me arguing that Joe Thomas, considered by many to be the best OL in football, was a serious candidate for Offensive Player of the Year or MVP. That's simply not true. Offensive lineman don't win these awards no matter how well they play, so how can any of them be "serious candidates"? If any guard was a serious OROTY candidate at any point, it was Zack Martin, who did make 1st team All-Pro and Pro Bowl. In the end, he was a very distant 2nd place for the award even though he had a lot of factors in his favor.
Of course no lineman will win any sort of NFL Rookie of the Year award since there are no sexy stats tied to the positions and there's actual effort required to watch and judge their performance for most analysts.

But fine, I'll take "serious" off of the description because it seems to bug you so much that I wanted to distinguish between a joke candidate and somebody people actually discussed often. Joel Bitonio was a candidate thrown around as a potential Rookie of the Year candidate throughout the season due to his surprisingly great performance.

I mean, I think it's fair to say that Bitonio was as much of a candidate for ROTY as Vermin Supreme is for POTUS in 2016. :lol:

tumblr_m8g144h1AY1qzbiclo1_500.gif

well onto other news aaron hernandez going to the booty barn for life without the possibility of parole. as a gator football fan, its so sad to see how he threw away his life (he had it all).

No, just no. Why must Chip bring that assclown back into NFL attention? He didn't work, wont work, let it die already.

bread's done
Back