CAG NFL Season Discussion

2 years ago the 49ers looked like they just needed a couple of minor pieces and a bit of luck to get a Lombardi Trophy. Now the team is almost stripped bare.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 years ago the 49ers looked like they just needed a couple of minor pieces and a bit of luck to get a Lombardi Trophy. Now the team is almost stripped bare.
honestly, people don't always understand how hard winning a Superbowl is compared to any other trophy out there. The league is on such an even playing field, that you can go from bad, to good, back to bad in a matter of 4 or 5 seasons. I know my Broncos got spanked in the superbowl last year, but any team would have loved to be there. It is because just that quickly you can go from relevant to nothing. Honestly it makes what the Pats have been able to do that much more amazing.

Seattle will see it soon once the details of Wilson's next contract and the full fledged details on Lynch's contract. Happens everytime. They have been this good because there QB has been playing on rookie earnings. The biggest way to get really good quick is to draft well. The 9ers had some amazing drafts, I mean look at their core when they went to the SB, Willis, Kap, Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Smith, bowman... the list goes on. People started to get paid but when Kap got paid, everything went downhill.

I understand it looks that way, but some of these losses aren't as big as they seem. Willis is my favorite player and an absolute beast, but having Borland softens the blow. He played great last year. Also Bowman is back.

The way bigger losses are Justin Smith retiring, and Iupati and/or Culliver leaving in free agency. I actually though Willis was a cut candidate with his salary and the play of Borland anyway. Even though I was hoping it wouldn't happen.

As far as contracts go, Willis, Bowman and Davis' contracts are far more impactful on the Niners cap situation. Kaepernick's contract is extremely team friendly. With Smith and Willis retiring they might be able to keep Iupati and they are signing Torrey Smith, who I would rather have than Crabtree anyway.

Amiibo topic started talking about the NFL/49ers so I thought I'd pop in here.  Yeah, bummed about Willis but Borland and Wilhoite did pretty well last season.  Plus we have some more cap space now.  Another tough loss was Ray McDonald's dumb ass getting arrested and subsequently cut.

Jeremy Maclin looks to be reuniting with Andy Reid in Kansas City.

Nice to finally have a good receiver. Now lets see if we can get a strong o-line for protection.

Johnson done in Houston but I could see Revis re-signing with New England unless the Jets or some other team overpays him.
which they will, Maxwell just got 9 mill a year.... Revis will get 12-15 mill a year, and will be looking for a ton of guarantee. i think it has been rumored he wants a 48 million deal with $40 million guaranteed. Belichik does not like to commit to players for a long time, no way they would guarantee him that. The Jets will...

John Clayton speculates Revis will get $16 million a year where ever he signs.

EDIT: 49ers G Mike Iupati will be joining the Cardinals.

While the other guys played well they aint Willis. It sucks to lose a top player and his leadership.

honestly, people don't always understand how hard winning a Superbowl is compared to any other trophy out there. The league is on such an even playing field, that you can go from bad, to good, back to bad in a matter of 4 or 5 seasons. I know my Broncos got spanked in the superbowl last year, but any team would have loved to be there. It is because just that quickly you can go from relevant to nothing. Honestly it makes what the Pats have been able to do that much more amazing.

Seattle will see it soon once the details of Wilson's next contract and the full fledged details on Lynch's contract. Happens everytime. They have been this good because there QB has been playing on rookie earnings. The biggest way to get really good quick is to draft well. The 9ers had some amazing drafts, I mean look at their core when they went to the SB, Willis, Kap, Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Smith, bowman... the list goes on. People started to get paid but when Kap got paid, everything went downhill.
Most of those players were drafted by Scot McCloughan.

Everything went downhill not with Kap's new contract but when Jed York decided he wanted to get rid of Harbaugh.

---

Steven Jackson needs you to do your part to help save this endangered species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMn2IAlqC4

Looking like Gore will probably go to the Colts instead of Philly. Thank God we might have a running back.
and it was AJ that helped convince him. A much better fit for Gore than Philly. I like what the Colts are doing. Making a push before Luck's rookie contract ends.

What the hell is Seattle doing?! They do realize That Wilson's deal is almost up and his agent is looking for the richest contract ever???
He could look for the richest contract ever but we all know that team is all defense and Lynch. He can be replaced with the way that team is built.

Maybe the reason the team doesn't mind spending the money now is because they are making sure they keep the team loaded while Lynch is still there.

He could look for the richest contract ever but we all know that team is all defense and Lynch. He can be replaced with the way that team is built.

Maybe the reason the team doesn't mind spending the money now is because they are making sure they keep the team loaded while Lynch is still there.
For next year it is an amazing move... Guaranteed Graham would have made the catch on the 1 in the SB.... They are going all out to win next year, I'll give them that.. just confused if they were looking long term.

I'm all for Seattle getting into Cap Hell but I agree. Wilson is good but probably just below the upper tier so he is replaceable. While that final Super Bowl play call was definitely questionable, Wilson would have probably done himself a favor if he made a better decision and better throw with that pass.

Sounds like the Eagles aren't as dumb as people are saying, they may have gotten the 10th pick in the bradford deal...  Meaning they are making a push to move up for Mariota still.

Ravens traded Ngata to Lions. Well shit.
Sucks losing Ngata, but he was too expensive to keep.
Yeah, it sucks, but at least they got some picks in return and didn't just release him with no compensation, which is what I was afraid would happen. They now have cap space and some more ammo to trade up somewhere in the draft if they want to.

I was hoping the Ravens would have a chance to get Andre Johnson, but it looks like he is going to Indy with Gore.

I'm glad for the cap space and the Ravens have a good track record of not keeping players too long for the most part.

As the mantra this time of year goes "Keep Calm and Trust Ozzie"

Retiring before 30 after working only 3 years, must be tough...
Get it straight...he's 26 and it was 4 years...having never played in more than 11 games in any of them, lol ;)

Unreal. I'm sorry, but that speaks volumes about his desire to be a professional quarterback, which I really questioned this past season when a minor hand injury kept him out for like 5 weeks. You see other guys playing through broken bones and stuff, and a muscle strain kept Locker on the sideline. All X-rays kept coming back negative, but he kept saying he "just didn't feel right". No toughness. Maybe he can join Tebow in the booth.

Hell, if he isn't stupid with his money he really doesn't have to work ever again and still live a comfortable life. If I had $12 million (well probably more like $6 or 8 after taxes but still) I'd definitely retire too. Even a conservative 5% return rate on investing his money puts him at $300-400k a year. One could easily live pretty comfortably on that kind of money.

Eagles get a 3rd round pick from Rams if Bradford gets injured.

"The Eagles have announced the deal, which consists of Bradford for Nick Foles plus three draft picks.  The Eagles get from St. Louis a 2015 fifth-round pick, and the Rams get from Philadelphia a 2015 fourth-round pick and a 2016 second-round pick.

While the announcement doesn’t mention any other terms, Albert Breer of NFL Media reports that, if Bradford doesn’t start eight games, the Eagles get a fourth-round pick back from the Rams.  Likewise, if Bradford is injured, the Eagles get a third-round pick from the Rams.  (The trigger for the “injury” condition isn’t known.  Possibly, the third-round pick becomes and issue only if Bradford suffers a season ending injury before Week One.)"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/eagles-give-up-2016-second-rounder-for-bradford-too/

Florio also throws this at the end

"Many wondered whether the acquisition of Bradford would be a stepping stone toward a move to get in position to draft quarterback Marcus Mariota.  The decision to give up a second-round pick in 2016 along with a fourth-round pick in 2015 for Bradford and a fifth-round draft pick arguably cuts against that theory.

Unless, of course, a team like the Bucs at No. 1 or the Titans at No. 2 made it clear to the Eagles that a package including Bradford would be critical to getting a deal done — or, possibly, that the 49ers wanted Bradford in exchange for Colin Kaepernick.

Whatever the outcome, the idea that a guy with a twice-torn ACL will waltz in and become the starting quarterback for the Eagles currently doesn’t make much sense."

I don't know where that 49ers speculation is coming from but I think I'd burn all my Niners gear if they traded Kap for Bradford.

One has to wonder how fuck ed up the Titans are that Locker would rather retire than play for them.

As for Ngata, it is sad, but the Ravens have a good track record for defense and will likely replace him in the upcoming draft. And since they will get a bunch of comp picks soon, this gives the team a crap ton of picks in the draft. Nyce.

EDIT: Revis is a Jet again.

As for Ngata, it is sad, but the Ravens have a good track record for defense and will likely replace him in the upcoming draft.
They drafted Timmy Jernigan to be his replacement to some extent. Ngata is obviously a unique player and not easily replaced. Danny Shelton in this years draft has drawn a lot of comparisons to him, but he is expected to be a top 10 pick.

One has to wonder how fuck ed up the Titans are that Locker would rather retire than play for them.

As for Ngata, it is sad, but the Ravens have a good track record for defense and will likely replace him in the upcoming draft. And since they will get a bunch of comp picks soon, this gives the team a crap ton of picks in the draft. Nyce.

You have to wonder if the Titans will go after Mariota now?

Locker was a free agent and the Titans weren't bringing him back anyway. Even when he was finally healthy toward the end of last year they replaced him with Mettenberger...until he also got hurt...and then they brought Locker back...until he got hurt again and finished the year on IR (coincidentally, the team got rid of both starting tackles from last season). But Locker's deal was done.

My guess is Locker decided that retiring with the money he has made was a more appealing option than having to prove himself all over again, possibly working as a backup, and ultimately, rehabbing further (inevitable) injuries. I actually still believe the guy has some skills and some decent instincts...but 4 injuries in 2 seasons can't be denied. I really wouldn't be surprised if we hear about him making a comeback in a year or two though.

It's honestly a very similar situation to Bradford. But it at least seems like Bradford still wants to be an NFL QB...for now. I'll be dumbfounded if the Titans trade for him though. I could see signing the guy as a free agent flier type of move (what I figured teams would do with Locker), but giving up anything for an injury prone QB just seems silly.

What he needs to do is become the backup to somebody like Luck or Flacco. Then you can just lounge around all day and get paid for it.

I feel a little bad for Locker but that team has been so bad the last few years. Too many hits and not enough protection by his line. Oh well....

Eagles get a 3rd round pick from Rams if Bradford gets injured.

"The Eagles have announced the deal, which consists of Bradford for Nick Foles plus three draft picks. The Eagles get from St. Louis a 2015 fifth-round pick, and the Rams get from Philadelphia a 2015 fourth-round pick and a 2016 second-round pick.

While the announcement doesn’t mention any other terms, Albert Breer of NFL Media reports that, if Bradford doesn’t start eight games, the Eagles get a fourth-round pick back from the Rams. Likewise, if Bradford is injured, the Eagles get a third-round pick from the Rams. (The trigger for the “injury” condition isn’t known. Possibly, the third-round pick becomes and issue only if Bradford suffers a season ending injury before Week One.)"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/eagles-give-up-2016-second-rounder-for-bradford-too/

Florio also throws this at the end

"Many wondered whether the acquisition of Bradford would be a stepping stone toward a move to get in position to draft quarterback Marcus Mariota. The decision to give up a second-round pick in 2016 along with a fourth-round pick in 2015 for Bradford and a fifth-round draft pick arguably cuts against that theory.

Unless, of course, a team like the Bucs at No. 1 or the Titans at No. 2 made it clear to the Eagles that a package including Bradford would be critical to getting a deal done — or, possibly, that the 49ers wanted Bradford in exchange for Colin Kaepernick.

Whatever the outcome, the idea that a guy with a twice-torn ACL will waltz in and become the starting quarterback for the Eagles currently doesn’t make much sense."

I don't know where that 49ers speculation is coming from but I think I'd burn all my Niners gear if they traded Kap for Bradford.
Interesting contingency agreement on Bradford. Hopefully Foles does well for the Rams

Gore going to the Colts. Will he do better then a healthy Bradshaw, maybe? Gore is getting a little slow and showing his age these days. Who knows, I felt SF didnt really use him to his potential last year and Im sure he will do better than Richardson

Gore going to the Colts. Will be do better then a Healthy Bradshaw, maybe? Gore is getting a little slow these days. He'll do better than Richardson

What he needs to do is become the backup to somebody like Luck or Flacco. Then you can just lounge around all day and get paid for it.
Haha, really. It's weird that he would rather retire than be a backup. That I don't get.

I feel a little bad for Locker but that team has been so bad the last few years. Too many hits and not enough protection by his line. Oh well....
Seriously. Tennessee spent 3 draft picks (Warmack, Schwenke, Lewan) and 2 free agent signings (Levitre, Oher) the past 2 years on the offensive line, and they still couldn't block for shit. Oher was cut (he's Carolina's problem now), Roos retired, and it's now on Lewan to prove himself. Warmack and Levitre have underwhelmed, and Schwenke is probably nothing special.

It's just crazy to put that much focus into one facet of your team and still come up empty. When you have to redraft positions you just drafted less than 5 years ago, the team is going to majorly regress.

I actually hope they don't waste the #2 pick on Mariotta or Winston. They'd be smarter to shore up the defense, and try to get by with Mettenberger. Plenty of good defensive teams have won with mediocre QBs. Unless you know you're getting an Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning, you're better off not rolling the dice. Teams whiff on 1st round QBs way more than not.

and it was AJ that helped convince him. A much better fit for Gore than Philly. I like what the Colts are doing. Making a push before Luck's rookie contract ends.
And the free agent pick ups are solid short term veterans that should still have a good 2 years or so left. I imagine most of the guarantees are for this year and next year. Leaving more cap space for when most of the upcoming current rookie contacts like hilton and luck expire. Now we really need to draft well. And picking up Johnson today wouldn't hurt.

It's a day late but I didn't have the time to chime in until now about P. Willis -

His retirement is certainly a sad day for me. He was one of the players I truly rooted for. I root for the team but certain guys I really pull especially hard for. Patrick was one of them. A little Gamestop story with Mr. Willis:

A couple of years ago I was picking up something at a local GS store. While in line, I noticed a guy ahead of me was buying a 2 year old Madden game. The general associate and the customer chatted a bit about the most recent changes to Madden as they were finishing their transaction and the customer was leaving. I was up next in line so I continued the conversation with the GA and I commented how I was surprised people were interested in a broken old Madden game. The GA goes on to say, "you'd be surprised. We get a lot of folks picking up old games that aren't even supported anymore. Actually, one story that comes to mind was there was this one kid that wanted to buy a really old copy of Madden and he didn't have enough money. I felt bad for him as he got really sad as he started walking out the door. At the very last second, a guy walks right up to him and stops the kid and asks him what system he had. Kid says, 'a PS3' and the guy walks right up to me and asks to buy the newest Madden available on the PS3. It's Patrick Willis. Rang him up and he hands the kid the brand new game and the kid looked so happy he was near about to cry and hugs Patrick and leaves. That sticks out as one of the coolest stories I've ever had to share from my time working here. I'm actually a Raiders fan and I hate the 49ers but ever since then I couldn't hate the 49ers anymore because I'm a big Patrick Willis fan. Dude is a really cool guy."

Stories like that just really make me love the player more and watching him go was a sad thing. Much respect to Mr. Willis.

As for the team, they will be having to refocus their efforts on inside linebacker once again. Bowman was able to ascend and it covered up Patrick losing his step due to his chronic foot problems. However, Bowman's knee injury was so severe that I'm not optimistic about him coming back. ACL injuries are able to be overcome but the multi-ligament tears are the real career changers and that's what happened to Bowman. He had some knee discomfort at the end of last season when he was trying to continue his rehab. I'm very concerned for Bowman. As for Patrick's replacement, Borland is the most logical choice. However, Borland is not the three down linebacker that Patrick was. On passing downs, Borland has had some difficulty in coverage. He's a shorter linebacker so that isn't going to help when they play nickel in terms of matchups. With Fangio now gone, I have no idea if this team will even be competitive next season. When it rains, it pours.

bread's done
Back