CAG Niche Backloggers Anonymous (Monster Hunter World!) [February]

Is anyone interested in grinding the gold crowns for the Rotten Vale event thing together? I wanted to get the crowns for those monsters, and thought it would be faster teaming up with some others. Hit me up on PSN, or reply here and we can set up a time. Thanks!

It was in beta like a month or two ago. Early access began last week for those that bought founder's pack. For everyone else it's out April 3rd.

Had no idea Tera was coming out on consoles. Seemed neat but still have no interest in the MMO. Guild Wars 2 was really all I needed to see in that regard lol.

I'm enjoying it so far. I never played the PC version so I'm going in blind. My only complaint is the framerate drops. It makes some areas nearly unplayable so I hope that gets patched soon. Other than that it's pretty good for being free.

I finished playing through Nier: Automata again. I had to go back to it because I wasn't able to enjoy my next game while still wanting to play Nier: Automata. It's not just my favorite game from last year. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

My save file has 16 letter endings and the dlc ending. In this second playthrough I left four side quests incomplete. I missed the same four as my first run. Two were collect a lot of stuff, so I didn't mind leaving those for post-game. One of the others I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to be done, and the last I'm not sure where it even begins.

I cleared all the S ranks in the dlc, but I haven't beat the super hard ranks yet. I'll be leveling up for those ranks while trying to finish the remaining side quests. Now I'm kind of upset I always sold or destroyed the bonus exp plugs. But I needed the room for cooler plugs.

I've been playing Etrian Odyssey V because I didn't realize I didn't beat it. I finally did, a week or so ago, and have been going through Stratum VI.

I really really really hate that they made XP and money grinding 10 times worse to sell their XP and money DLCs.

In past games, you can go back and kill bosses and FOEs and level up relatively fast. Now, the xp requirement grew like 10x. And weapons are like 10x the cost too. It's annoying AF.

On floor 28, and I'm wondering if I should play Secret of Mana or something in between.

For those playing MH, almost all the events are available again. This includes the increased chance for crown events with the addition of the Elder Recess monsters . If going for the platinum, then all you will need are the Elder Dragons and Black Diablos crowns once you complete those. 

As for me, I'm going through Shining Resonance Refrain since my DX packs arrived recently. 

For those playing MH, almost all the events are available again. This includes the increased chance for crown events with the addition of the Elder Recess monsters . If going for the platinum, then all you will need are the Elder Dragons and Black Diablos crowns once you complete those.

As for me, I'm going through Shining Resonance Refrain since my DX packs arrived recently.
What are the chances of getting those Elder Dragon crowns. I must've hunted Vaal Hazak 50 times and only recently got it. But I did get them both from Tempered versions which I did later on.

Also, I remembered you said you got all the crowns in like 8 runs for the first event, but I did it like 20 times for the Rotten Vale and still didn't get them all.

What are the chances of getting those Elder Dragon crowns. I must've hunted Vaal Hazak 50 times and only recently got it. But I did get them both from Tempered versions which I did later on.

Also, I remembered you said you got all the crowns in like 8 runs for the first event, but I did it like 20 times for the Rotten Vale and still didn't get them all.
It's all complete RNG. I had to kill Vaal 87 times to get both of it's crowns, but it took me less than 10 for Teostra. The others were around the 15-35 range. :joystick:

As for the events, same thing. You are just at the mercy of RNG despite the increased chances. It's still certainly a lot better than investigations. You can save yourself more time by knowing what you need and then return from quest after slaying/capturing the monster.

Ex) If you just need Great Girros large, just go straight for it. If it looks huge then attack and if not then abandon quest > return to camp to restart the quest. Once you think it's a large Girros then kill it and then return from quest to see if it was a crown. No need to fight all the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Far Cry 5 has been disappointing, especially as a co-op game in that playing one save file only progresses things for that player, while the other only gets credit for perk points. The things they changed have been mostly for the worse and we keep hitting quest issues that require us dying to reset and fix. It's pretty clear the game was rushed out the door since there's so many bugs this time, which is odd since Far Cry is usually pretty solid in that department.

Pretty mediocre 2/3rds of the game so far, since we keep switching saves back and forth so neither of us is too far ahead. Really waiting for the FC3 remaster and these DLC expansions coming later.

There's also videos on YT that shows you how to measure using your character. I've been using them myself to get an idea of what I'm looking for since some of them are hard to tell.

General rule of thumb for a good number of monsters is the height of your character will be about as tall as the bend in a monster's leg (the first joint above the ankle portion) for a normal sized mon. Anything greater or less than that by about a heads' difference is gold crown material.

Thankfully this event period has been helping a lot in progressing my crown hunting. Only have 8 total left including one for deviljho, but probably not gonna bother with it so long as I get the plat without it.

I got the platinum for Nier: Automata. I used a guide to complete three of the side missions and about ten letter endings.

The last trophy I needed was the one needing all the endings. I was going to hold off getting it until I beat all the special rank dlc challenges, but after reading one of the rewards more closely I lost interest in those challenges. I wanted the reward that resets your level so I could replay the game with the dlc cosmetics unlocked from the beginning. The problem is it doesn't reset the side missions, so even though you start the game at the beginning at level 1 you won't have the side missions. That sucks.

The one thing I don't like about the dlc is by the time you are leveled up enough to beat some of the challenges that have the costumes as rewards you are pretty close to finishing the game.

Hmmm... I just thought of a decent solution. On a fresh playthrough complete the game without doing any of the side missions. Grind levels (and chips) to be able to beat the special rank challenge with the de-leveling reward. Save.

Whenever you want to start the game fresh but with certain cosmetics unlocked load that save file, de-level and delete your inventory, then via chapter select start at the beginning. Save all your progress on a different save slot.

Yeah. Unfortunately there are a couple flaws to my plan. You can't reset your increased chipset size. Playing through the game without increasing my chipset size is probably doable, but I wouldn't be able to beat the special rank battle with a minimal chipset. And I'd probably have to upgrade at least two weapons to take into that battle. Maybe even pick up some pod programs.

I was starting a third playthrough, but once I got to the camp it dawned on me how much wouldn't work. Now I'm ready to move on to another game. The funny thing is the last thing I did in the game, not counting the third playthrough attempt, was get the letter ending called Time To Relax.

My April Update:

Shining Resonance Refrain - 
rsz_1rsz_1150800277959946.png

Metal Gear Survive - 

Code: Realize Future Blessings - 

I'm currently working on non-niche stuff and getting my Comrades character in FFXV prepped for the future raid content.

Additionally, Amazon UK messed up an order of mine recently in a good way when I bought  :ps4: Rabi-Ribi. When I opened the box, besides Rabi-Ribi, there was a free copy of  :vita: God Eater 2, :ps4: CDN: 4 Goddesses Online, and :ps4: Warriors: All-Stars in it.  :D/ At least Warriors and 4 Goddesses have separate trophy lists.

It's all complete RNG. I had to kill Vaal 87 times to get both of it's crowns, but it took me less than 10 for Teostra. The others were around the 15-35 range. :joystick:

As for the events, same thing. You are just at the mercy of RNG despite the increased chances. It's still certainly a lot better than investigations. You can save yourself more time by knowing what you need and then return from quest after slaying/capturing the monster.

Ex) If you just need Great Girros large, just go straight for it. If it looks huge then attack and if not then abandon quest > return to camp to restart the quest. Once you think it's a large Girros then kill it and then return from quest to see if it was a crown. No need to fight all the others.
Thanks, but for some reason this doesn't work for Rathalos, which doesn't spawn in the beginning it seems. Any way to trigger him to spawn? I've walked around the entire map but can't find it anywhere.

Thanks, but for some reason this doesn't work for Rathalos, which doesn't spawn in the beginning it seems. Any way to trigger him to spawn? I've walked around the entire map but can't find it anywhere.
There can only be three monsters on the map at a time. So if Rathalos isn't there, you need to kill/capture a random monster to free up a slot until it shows up.

Damn. After finishing all the character story missions in Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus I found out I can't get the platinum trophy because I'm playing on a Playstation TV. One of the trophies requires the Vita's motion controls, and the Playstation TV has no way to emulate that. That's a shame. I got the platinums for Estival Versus and Bon Appetit. I would have liked to have gotten this one too.

I have Peach Beach Splash, but it's a few games back into my queue of games I want to play next.

Well, I wasn't planning on playing God of War but since my friend seems to have bought it digitally, it was pre-loaded onto my console. Just glad it's not another Arkham Asylum style brawler nor a hack'n'slash action game or else I probably wouldn't be playing it. I find it better than the older style God of War games. Much more like Tomb Raider in design with more confrontational melee combat. Plus if you've watched enough Marvel movies that deal with Thor and Asgard, then you'll probably know a lot of these words as it takes place in Norse mythology.

Batman actually spoiled all games in that department for me. God of War is good, the combat flows ok enough but it's still clunky in certain situations, such as being cornered without a CD. I guess, I'm just not feeling a rhythm with it yet and reminds me why I started to not like old GoW combat because it felt like you start to have too many options for attacks and doesn't quite combo nicely. That's my only real complaint with the game though; everything else is just knocking it out of the park. It's a really well crafted game and maybe the combat will come together once things are unlocked (it would be great to have a gap closer or something to keep a combo flowing).

I also don't understand if enemies have glowing weak spots or not. Fighting the first mini-bosses seem to have one on their leg and arm, but there's no feedback to tell me if I'm doing something good or not at all.

If there's a weak point, the reticle usually turns a darker red I believe. Often when you hit those points, the enemies stagger briefly I want to say. Weaker enemies are a bit different in that you can throw your axe at their legs to trip them or if they're next to a wall, you can pin them against the wall by throwing your axe. Alternatively you can throw the axe and leave it in them and they'll freeze for a period of time.

I've unlocked just about everything for the boy except for the final tier I haven't unlocked for him. For Kratos though, I only have Block Break and Countering Blast unlocked for shields. I have his entire Rage tree unlocked. Most of his ranged combat and about half of Close Combat unlocked as well.

Since unlocking all that, combat hasn't changed a whole lot even after unlocking all that. I use the shield skills a lot even though I've only unlocked two. Outside of that the only thing that has changed is how I approach combat depending on the enemy after learning how to fight them solo or in groups of enemies. Mostly I make use of the boy and his various arrow types depending on the need. Usually I stay with arrows that stun on him.

Ah, yeah I haven't been using shield like at all; I just wanna smash and dodge. The tutorial moves too fast and they show you things once ever so I never understood how to use the shield properly. I'd get all these slow-mos after blocking and would try different buttons with nothing working. Been too lazy to look it up. :lol:

I played through the first two chapters of Drakengard 3. The frame rate is kind of rough, but I'm still enjoying the game.

I see it has a story dlc bundle for $30. In four years it's never gone on sale. Nier: Automata and it's dlc is on sale in week 1 of the Golden Week sale. Maybe Drakengard 3 and it's dlc will show up in week 2. If not I might buy it the next time a 20% off code goes out. It's four times what I paid for the game, but there are six prologues in the bundle. They average out to the same amount I spent on the Final Fantasy XV character episodes.

I'm playing with a dualshock 4 and custom controls through a cronusmax. It's good for more than just getting all the Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 swimsuits.

I beat Drakengard 3. I liked it. It makes me want to check out Nier as well. I don't have a PS2 or original PS3, so I don't have access to the first two Drakengards.

I guess I'll go for the platinum. Grinding gold for weapon upgrades is going to be boring, but I only have two trophies left. And once I upgrade all the weapons the last trophy will be easy to get. Plus, I'm two platinums away from getting 1000 Sony Rewards points.

For the rhythm game section I played along to a youtube video that had the notes charted. I also switched to using an arcade stick. Hitting all the notes as if they were combo strings made it easier.

Also, started playing some Yakuza 0, definitely not as impressed as I thought I would be. The game severely lacks polish, and feels too wonky. Maybe I've been too spoiled by games like GTA, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs...

I missed the Gold event too, but good thing events return. Been grinding the DMC one though then I'll do the Street Fighter one.

Also, I've never played a Dragon Quest game before but the new one looks good. I don't know what I'm getting into, but I can't wait.

Also, I've never played a Dragon Quest game before but the new one looks good. I don't know what I'm getting into, but I can't wait.
Just a fair bit of warning, the series is very old school in a lot of ways. So while the production values may be good, there are plenty of people who can't get into it because it can be slow or grindy at times, depending on how you tend to go through games.

I agree, in all the yakuza games you start off kinda blocky and underpowered.
I try and pick off guys 1on1 or jump kick groups than run away n try to separate them to fight.
After unlocking 4 or 5 moves you'll start fighting silky smooth.
Try to start out using the quicker fighting styles.

Wow, while the combat is really clunky in Yakuza 0, the story is pretty captivating. They definitely mastered a style of storytelling that western games haven't yet, with the whole build up, chapters, and cliffhangers. There's a lot of dialogue and slow-paced scenes that really make it seem like a long movie or a television show at times.

Most other games usually have story as short breaks in between gameplay, but this one really focuses on storytelling first, with large segments of exposition at a time, interrupted by short periods of free roaming/combat. Very interesting indeed.

Can anyone recommend me some good strategy RPG games/series for any PS system?

Something like FF Tactics would be ideal. Also wouldn't mind something like Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM. I haven't really played any other strategy RPGs other than those mentioned.

Can anyone recommend me some good strategy RPG games/series for any PS system?
My recommendations:
PS4
====
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Nobunaga's Ambition series
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
Grand Kingdom

PS3
====
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
Eiyuu Senki: The World Conquest

Something like FF Tactics would be ideal. Also wouldn't mind something like Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM. I haven't really played any other strategy RPGs other than those mentioned.
The only one that really fits what you want is the Disgaea series. It involves a ton of grinding though.

My recommendations:
PS4
====
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Nobunaga's Ambition series
Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
Grand Kingdom

PS3
====
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord
Eiyuu Senki: The World Conquest

The only one that really fits what you want is the Disgaea series. It involves a ton of grinding though.
Thanks. Some of those look like Total War games. Those are some of my favorite games on PC. How well do they play on console since seem like it might be harder to micromanage the battlefield?

I know about Disgaea but have yet to play one. I'm thinking of getting the remaster when it comes out later this year.

I was hoping there were more games like that though.

If you don't mind PSP games, there's much more.

Jeanne d'Arc

Gungnir

Tactics Ogre

Ragnarok Tactics

Riviera
Thanks. I don't mind PSP games or classics as long as I can play them on the VITA or console. Some of those look really good.

Thanks. Some of those look like Total War games. Those are some of my favorite games on PC. How well do they play on console since seem like it might be harder to micromanage the battlefield?
Shadow Tactics is fine with a controller since the developers made the game with it in mind.

As for Nobunaga and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, not so much because there are a lot of clicks to go through. Koei did allow great use of the PS4 touchpad for faster, more accurate responses, and it does really help. Overall, I still say the controls could have been a lot better.

Well, I finally finished Yakuza 0. Holy crap, what a game! I take back most of what I said, still think the combat is a little frustrating at times, but the story really does make up for it. It is probably the best video game story, in terms of plot and story telling, I have ever experienced. It makes me wanna play the entire Yakuza series now, and I will probably start Kiwami pretty soon. But holy shit, that damn ending was incredible, can't believe this game doesn't have more recognition. 

can't believe this game doesn't have more recognition.
I say the same thing all the time about the Trails series all the time. I tell my friend about it all the time too, but he never gets around to it even though he owns pretty much all the games.

Also the Utawarerumono games on the PS4 as I've heard pretty much nobody mention them. My friend did however play these two games and enjoyed them even though he doesn't really play heavier Visual Novels much like me.

I finished Prey, and I started playing Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash. I played through Gessen's story mode, and the gameplay isn't that engaging. Though I haven't played around with the loadouts or leveling up yet. I like the story scenes in the Senran Kagura series, and collecting cards is kind of neat.

The training missions were oddly funny. My attention was split between reading how to play the game and reading what the characters were saying.

I knew the VR diorama mode was limited to three characters instead of five, but I didn't know you couldn't change the characters into outfits other than the default swimsuits. You can change their outfits in a VR model viewer mode, but that's limited to one character.

Supplice told me Kulve Taroth (Golden Dragon event in MHW) will be coming back next week. I missed it last time. Anyone interested in grinding this one out?

I finished Prey, and I started playing Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash. I played through Gessen's story mode, and the gameplay isn't that engaging. Though I haven't played around with the loadouts or leveling up yet. I like the story scenes in the Senran Kagura series, and collecting cards is kind of neat.
I forgot how far I got in the story, I might've beaten it but yeah I enjoyed it a bit. It was kinda tiring the schools having the same general story, but there were funny bits.

Gameplay is a lot more bearable once you upgrade your character/weapons, and have some OP cards. That way, the flow of the battle is faster and matches go by quicker. I find it most enjoyable switching between different weapons as often as possible, and my favorite is the revolver and dual pistols.

The online is dead, not sure if it was ever alive to begin with, but I wouldn't mind playing some survival if you want, and I found it really fun the one time I found someone else to play that with online. I play on PS4 though.

What are your thoughts on Prey? It's near the top of my backlog rn and I want to dive into now that I don't have a high profile game to really occupy my time anymore after platting MHW and GoW. Also forgot I had SK:pBS, so I might be up to join you guys in a few matches here and there since I've heard good things about it from BRW.

Supplice told me Kulve Taroth (Golden Dragon event in MHW) will be coming back next week. I missed it last time. Anyone interested in grinding this one out?
I wouldn't mind tackling it again a little bit since I never got any weapon I really wanted from the event. It will take 2-3 runs to beat if we only have one team going at it. Set it up!

bread's done
Back