CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

[quote name='enufs8d']youre not that bad. i ran into a golden eagle 2 days ago. he was either 25 or 50... on the ps3!![/QUOTE]

Yeah...seeing those all around...it's kind'a scary how many hours ppl have put in.

Just a heads up, i'm loading up the ps3 version for a while today.

Edit: I probably won't be playing the ps3 version again. I played for well over an hour with several games being top of the board or having a 3.0+ KDR, and it's not because I'm good. I can see how the game holds one back on consoles. I was prepared for the insane battles like on PC and I guess I kept catching people off-guard or the slowness of the controls limits people. My friend's going to borrow the game. Here's to hoping there's another game coming out soon that I can join you guys in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I actually have went back to Confrontation the last 2 nights. Im not quite achieving 3-1 KDR in Battlefield, but I see what you are saying. Im just about done with it, especially playing solo. With friends its okay but rarely do I play with anyone and if so the mics dont work. Like I said, back on Con these last 2 nights. There were about 2k logged on and it was a little tough to find a 8v8 SC Medley but I found one. Did not see one cheater or lag switcher. It was awesome and I had more fun playing that than I have any game since. Ill be on tomorrow if anyone wants to play BF3 or Confrontation

Con is still going strong guys. Ive been playing a lot this past 10 days and have only ran into one serious cheater. Even hopped on with Goldbug last night and played a few games. Its great just a bit hard to find a 8v8 Medley with space open

There were a few 4x4 demo rooms that had three in it waiting, but I wasn't sure if you'd want to play the small game. Once we did find a 8x8 it was great. I still love all the original maps and getting to play breech at the end of the night was sweet.

Good playing with you guys last night. Pushing down that alley on Bazaar has got to be one of the best moments in my BF3 career. What a bunch of pros.

I'm pretty worthless with a controller, though. Jumping in a tank helped a little. What sensitivity are you guys set at?

[quote name='metaly']Good playing with you guys last night. Pushing down that alley on Bazaar has got to be one of the best moments in my BF3 career. What a bunch of pros.

I'm pretty worthless with a controller, though. Jumping in a tank helped a little. What sensitivity are you guys set at?[/QUOTE]

I've got my sensitivity set super low, but that could be because I suck. I used to use the lowest setting in Socom as well, when everyone else had it cranked to the max.

[quote name='metaly']Good playing with you guys last night. Pushing down that alley on Bazaar has got to be one of the best moments in my BF3 career. What a bunch of pros.

I'm pretty worthless with a controller, though. Jumping in a tank helped a little. What sensitivity are you guys set at?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cigarl']I've got my sensitivity set super low, but that could be because I suck. I used to use the lowest setting in Socom as well, when everyone else had it cranked to the max.[/QUOTE]

I have it set up around 1/3 in BF3. Anyone want to play something tonight?

I've been playing the demo for Mass Effect 3 and the multiplayer is pretty fun. It's somewhat clunky at first but I like it, something of a mix of Socom 4 and Lost Planet 2. Just a heads up, it's easily a perfect time filler until the next decent TPS comes by.

Yeah it was a good time! Whenever any of you guys want to play, send me a message. I'm done playing it alone, but its great with friends.

[quote name='Cigarl']I've got my sensitivity set super low, but that could be because I suck. I used to use the lowest setting in Socom as well, when everyone else had it cranked to the max.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MisterBee']I have it set up around 1/3 in BF3. Anyone want to play something tonight?[/QUOTE]

Got my sensitivity maxed out of course! But I rarely spend time in vehicles so I need it. I am almost always out on Sunday. You guys down for any other days? Con of BF

[quote name='Mad39er']I've been playing the demo for Mass Effect 3 and the multiplayer is pretty fun. It's somewhat clunky at first but I like it, something of a mix of Socom 4 and Lost Planet 2. Just a heads up, it's easily a perfect time filler until the next decent TPS comes by.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried it out. It was quite slow and kind of felt like RE5 with how slow the turning was. Is there any Competitive MP or just coop? I am to the point now where Ghost Recon looks like a good game. Its sad how far online MP has fallen :(

I am going to cop Twisted Metal this week though(finally dumping this S4 crap I haven't payed since probably October) so if any of you guys have that we could try it as well

Zipper is reportedly being SHUT DOWN BY SONY!! Honestly it serves them right for alienating their fanbase and making one of the worst games on the PS3. Hopefully this does not derail the plans for a Socom remake, which would be done by another studio anyways. Hate to see people lose their jobs but you really cannot do any worse than Zipper has the last 6 years

Rumor: SOCOM Creators Being Shut Down by Sony

Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOM series and PS3 shooter MAG, is in the process of being shut down, according to Kotaku sources.
Sony has repeatedly declined to comment on the matter to Kotaku this week, citing their policy not to discuss rumor or speculation.
But we've heard chatter for several days that Zipper was in the process of being hit with layoffs and a project cancellation. The scope of the layoffs appears to indicate a studio shutdown.
Zipper has been in the business since 1996, with fan favourites like Mechwarrior 3 and Crimson Skies to its name before it was bought by Sony in 2006 to focus on the console business. The studio's last game was third-person shooter Unit 13 for the PlayStation Vita.
Once seen as one of Sony's most important studios, especially in the days of the PS2, Zipper has seen its titles struggle to find the same level of success in the PS3 era, with MAG never really catching on with players and the latest SOCOM title having the misfortune of being released right in the middle of 2011's great PS3 downtime.
Without official confirmation, there is still the possibility that Zipper will remain open in a nominal fashion but the extent of layoffs that we're hearing about appears to indicate studio closure.
We've again reached out to Sony for comment and will update this story if we hear back.

What asshole came in here and downrated our thread to 3 stars? So many people here get butt hurt way too easily.

You guys gonna get GRAW? Ive been watching videos and it looks like a souped up version of MGO which was awesome

[quote name='smiggity']Zipper is reportedly being SHUT DOWN BY SONY!! Honestly it serves them right for alienating their fanbase and making one of the worst games on the PS3. [/QUOTE]To be honest... I think you're being a little harsh on them.

Now, I'm not a big fan of their work, in fact I've never really played any of their great games of old and SOCOM 4, the title I spent the most time with, was a freaking train wreck... but they are owned purely by Sony and can only do what Sony tells them to do... and I think allot of what was done was Sony's fault.

SOCOM 4 in all honesty could have been a good game... but Sony wanted it shipped and wouldn't let them delay it again.

Again, not in the know... but I don't think I'm far from the truth... and its just crazy that a PS2 powerhouse developer is (reportedly) gone.

[quote name='smiggity']Zipper is reportedly being SHUT DOWN BY SONY!! Honestly it serves them right for alienating their fanbase and making one of the worst games on the PS3. Hopefully this does not derail the plans for a Socom remake, which would be done by another studio anyways. Hate to see people lose their jobs but you really cannot do any worse than Zipper has the last 6 years

Rumor: SOCOM Creators Being Shut Down by Sony

Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOM series and PS3 shooter MAG, is in the process of being shut down, according to Kotaku sources.
Sony has repeatedly declined to comment on the matter to Kotaku this week, citing their policy not to discuss rumor or speculation.
But we've heard chatter for several days that Zipper was in the process of being hit with layoffs and a project cancellation. The scope of the layoffs appears to indicate a studio shutdown.
Zipper has been in the business since 1996, with fan favourites like Mechwarrior 3 and Crimson Skies to its name before it was bought by Sony in 2006 to focus on the console business. The studio's last game was third-person shooter Unit 13 for the PlayStation Vita.
Once seen as one of Sony's most important studios, especially in the days of the PS2, Zipper has seen its titles struggle to find the same level of success in the PS3 era, with MAG never really catching on with players and the latest SOCOM title having the misfortune of being released right in the middle of 2011's great PS3 downtime.
Without official confirmation, there is still the possibility that Zipper will remain open in a nominal fashion but the extent of layoffs that we're hearing about appears to indicate studio closure.
We've again reached out to Sony for comment and will update this story if we hear back.[/QUOTE]

It's whinny little "fans" like you who led to the demise of Zipper. Trying to balance catering to the old fans while still trying to catch up to the "new" and "now" fans. As far a Zipper, their lack of innovation/ability to at least keep up with the current players is ultimately why they'll be shut down...but perhaps had their fans of the past been a bit more understanding, maybe they would have had a better goal in mind.

SynGamer do some research before spouting off rhetoric in my thread. Everything you stated is bullshit conjecture. Ive been following this series for 8 years, its been one of the only games I play. Zipper turned their back on the Socom fans, bottom line. Everyone was clamoring for a Socom style experience. Instead, they made a 3rd person COD, and when Socom fans (the people that got Zipper to where they were) went apeshit they added a tacked on "classic" mode.

-Socom has never, ever had ranked respawn. Not all of a sudden its the standard mode? WTF
-Socom 4 got rid of EVERY SINGLE GAME MODE FROM S1-S:CA, and replaced them with generic A,B,C point capture type garbage.
-Free leaning- gone in Socom4
-Cover System- Introduced in S4, massive failure
-XP rank up garbage- Introduced in S4, Socom has always been about a level playing field, so much for that.
-Worst maps Ive ever played.
-The list goes on and on

Seth Luisi has stated that most of the decisions are up to him, the only thing forced on them by Sony was the Sharpshooter. Zipper honestly thought this game was great and would sell like hotcakes. Hence the reason they are not in business anymore, ignoring the consumer. We told them S4 would fail hard, and when Zipper invited 18 old Socom fans up to Washington to play S4, most of the 18 told them the game would be received poorly.

You sir are an idiot if you think a company can continuously put out crap products, ignore their fans/customers, yet stay profitable and in business. Put down the controller for a minute and pick up a book, it might do you some good.

Your blindness astounds me at times. I never said they could put out crap and still stay relevant. I said "Trying to balance catering to the old fans while still trying to catch up to the "new" and "now" fans." is "... ultimately why they'll be shut down". I still firmly believe it's the "fans" who ruined Zipper. They constantly ask for the old-style SOCOM 2 to be brought to the PS3 but with HD graphics. As a developer, surely they want to do something different, while still trying to please the "fans".

Well, clearly they didn't do either, but I've found the SOCOM "community" to be some of the biggest elitist douchebags I've ever met in gaming. The holier than thou attitude towards newcomers is completely off-putting and I'm glad the SOCOM series, for now, is dead. Far better games out there to play, no reason to bitch and moan about wanting S2 on the PS3.

SOCOM confrontation was like an early ps2 demo that was somehow transformed into a ps3 game. I got it just because the bundle was free on a BB glitch when you sandwiched it in the middle of 2 cheap games. Honestly its the only game i have worse than MW2 and its not good enough to be a coaster. How tards could play that game i will never know. Don't even get me started on douches that play it exclusively. I would rather read a book about Hillary Clinton than ever play any socom game lol.

@SynGamer Zipper did drop the ball on Socom 4 terribly so. They made a game that was fun to play at launch and nerfed the piss out of it from sensitivity to general cheesiness, it wasn't really fun to play even clan vs clan because of the the mistakes Zipper made.Zipper deliberately ignored their own community's requests and then charged for extra DLC content that was basically supposed to be included with being Socom Pro. They then shit on the early adopters by including the DLC in the second printing of Socom 4.

Was S4 hurt by the 1 month PSN blackout? Yep, but right after it resumed they shit the bed on everything else. I don't agree with the attitude of burn Zipper to the ground but there is a lot of feedback that was ignored, a lot of good players burned because Zipper chose to cater to the masses of idiots rather than the hardcore killers. D-truk and I stopped playing it for the same reason, it got nerfed to where even our skill levels didn't matter, we were being handicapped on purpose to be made mediocre for everybody else.

[quote name='smiggity']
You guys gonna get GRAW? Ive been watching videos and it looks like a souped up version of MGO which was awesome[/QUOTE]

I plan on getting it. I still have a bunch of credit at Game Stop and they upgrade the game if you pre-order it. I hope it's fun. I'd love to see D-Truck, Mr.B, you, md and some of the other Socom vets playing it. If not...I think I have about 135 hours to go in Skyrim.

[quote name='SynGamer']Your blindness astounds me at times. I never said they could put out crap and still stay relevant. I said "Trying to balance catering to the old fans while still trying to catch up to the "new" and "now" fans." is "... ultimately why they'll be shut down". I still firmly believe it's the "fans" who ruined Zipper. They constantly ask for the old-style SOCOM 2 to be brought to the PS3 but with HD graphics. As a developer, surely they want to do something different, while still trying to please the "fans".

Well, clearly they didn't do either, but I've found the SOCOM "community" to be some of the biggest elitist douchebags I've ever met in gaming. The holier than thou attitude towards newcomers is completely off-putting and I'm glad the SOCOM series, for now, is dead. Far better games out there to play, no reason to bitch and moan about wanting S2 on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, Socom was unique. Name another TPS round based tactical/realistic shooter? You cant. Zipper tried to go after what you call the "new" fans (COD players) when they could have improved on their formula and kept gaining more of the hardcore crowd. As a developer they should want to make money, and doing a REAL Socom would have made them a fuck ton of loot. The Socom series is not dead, its owned by Sony and has been worked on by other companies and will continue to be. You say there are far better games out there to play? Point me in the direction of a TPS round based shooter and id be all over it. There is nothing better than Socom, it is the only shooter that takes skill to be good at. And a level playing field has a lot to do with that.

The fact that you are happy to see a franchise dead b/c you don't like their fans is immature and extremely petty of you. The best thing about Socom? YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY IT! What a novel idea!

Let us have Socom, you can have all the Battlefields and Call of Duty and Medal of Honor and all those games thagt are damn near the exact same. I like my games to be challenging, rewarding and unique. Thats why Socom players are better than you. You play checkers we play chess. Socom will always be there for when someone wants to step up to the big leagues.

[quote name='Mad39er']@SynGamer Zipper did drop the ball on Socom 4 terribly so. They made a game that was fun to play at launch and nerfed the piss out of it from sensitivity to general cheesiness, it wasn't really fun to play even clan vs clan because of the the mistakes Zipper made.Zipper deliberately ignored their own community's requests and then charged for extra DLC content that was basically supposed to be included with being Socom Pro. They then shit on the early adopters by including the DLC in the second printing of Socom 4.

Was S4 hurt by the 1 month PSN blackout? Yep, but right after it resumed they shit the bed on everything else. I don't agree with the attitude of burn Zipper to the ground but there is a lot of feedback that was ignored, a lot of good players burned because Zipper chose to cater to the masses of idiots rather than the hardcore killers. D-truk and I stopped playing it for the same reason, it got nerfed to where even our skill levels didn't matter, we were being handicapped on purpose to be made mediocre for everybody else.[/QUOTE]

Dude, they stripped all the skill out of Socom4 before it even shipped. It was handicapped day 1 of the beta. The game was garbage and didnt support skilled players at all. AUTO AIM. ADS. ONE BUTTON NADES. PRE LINE UP SHOTS FROM COVER. ZERO RECOIL. RANDOM BULLET SPRAY. TERRIBLE GUNS. HEADSHOT HITBOX 2x SIZE OF HEAD. DUAL PRIMARIES. The game was never fun, it was stripped of all its personality the day they put the beta out. The gamemodes were all carbon copies of the other. Simply put, it was "SoCOD" for the ADD crowd. An insult to the name Socom and should have been a spinoff like BF:Bad Company. However, you are spot on with the rest of your paragraph. They shit on the old fans and are paying the price. I urge anyone who fails to see what I am saying to go play Confrontation for one game. Its as close to real Socom we will get until Socom HD. Then you will realize what absolute garbage S4 is.

I've been meaning to stop saying the word garbage and this muppet Smiggity has just a long way in making it easier.:applause:
thank you

"Muppet"? Sorry Im actually informed and passionate about a topic. I remember when I was 14 and thought names like Mr 420 were cool. Then I grew up.

Why are you even posting in here? If you think Con was the worst PS3 game, then you need to be introduced to S4.

Confrontation, with a return the Socom2 style gameplay, without ANY SP mode, still sold 1.5 million. Socom 4 barely broke 500k with full SP, Full Coop and Online. Plus it was in development for 4 years and Confrontation got 2 years and half the budget.

Socom 4 was made for the simple minded folks, so enjoy it!

i miss our clan nights. it was a good 3 years. socom4 was a travesty. socom died a long time ago and its not coming back

Ghost recon beta is up. Socom forums have easy directions to grab a code if you need one. Played one game so far, seems to be pretty tight. The customization is off the charts

I thought I traded in Socom 4 but somehow I found it in a cubby, under another game. Is my copy of S4 cursed/haunted?

Yes, along with all other 600k that somehow made it out of zippers studio. They got shutdown b/c of that haunted game. Now I'm expecting to find mine under the couch in a couple months.

I'm really liking this ghost recon. Disciple said they have demo in the full game, hopefully its no respawn to go along with the other no respawn mode. Again, the gunsmith stuff is awesome. See you guys on there!

im not too happy with the future soldier beta. its not a tom clancy game. and its dumbed down, the trend of this gen. sigh :(

You want to play something tonight? I know I haven't been on much, but DOTA2 and FIFA 12 have been all I have played for like the last month

[quote name='smiggity']
I'm really liking this ghost recon. Disciple said they have demo in the full game, hopefully its no respawn to go along with the other no respawn mode. Again, the gunsmith stuff is awesome. See you guys on there![/QUOTE]

I played the Ghost Recon beta last night and I'm totally in on that game. I had a lot of fun with it. Some of the stuff that allows you to see outlines of other players and stuff could be a little lame, but I could see having a lot of fun, especially if you had a squad of 4 or 8 that were all communicating. It felt a bit like a 3rd person battlefield to me. The quick switch to move your gun from shoulder to shoulder was nice and you can drop to prone like you used to be able to in Confrontation until they "fixed" that feature by making it slower.

Id be down to play some tonight if you want. I can actually live with the cover system in GRFS. The speed is nice too Mr B you playing Fifa on PC or PS3?

I won't be able to get on until around 10est because I'm coaching golf again, so if your on around that time, I'll definitely join in. It would be great to see
md on again someday.

Good games last night Smog. If they fix the length of the demo games or add rounds it will be even more fun. I know Player is feeling it doesn't feel like a Ghost Recon game, but having never played one before, I think it plays pretty well. The speed of the game is good and I think the amount of damage you take and give seems to be pretty well balanced. It's not too difficult to take someone down when you see them, yet when you are getting shot you usually have a chance to get out of the situation. That part feels a lot like Confrontation did (plus when we were in that one game with those guys that were really good I could still die in under 3 seconds which really felt like the old days in Confrontation). The intel stealing from dead bodies also adds a cool twist, although I think the camera mounts that highlight you red could get old.

Guys! Listen up! Slant Six has been tweeting about Socom (since deleted) and are interacting with Socom fans on twitter about what their favorite map of all time is. Word on the forums is that we are going to get a Confrontation 2 or Socom 2 HD announcement at E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically /6 only has like 2k followers and they clearly know that they are all Socom fans, so hopefully they are teasing something.

SOCOM will never die! I am super excited and it would make my year if they come out with either a Con2 or S2HD in 2012

[quote name='smiggity']Guys! Listen up! Slant Six has been tweeting about Socom (since deleted) and are interacting with Socom fans on twitter about what their favorite map of all time is. Word on the forums is that we are going to get a Confrontation 2 or Socom 2 HD announcement at E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Basically /6 only has like 2k followers and they clearly know that they are all Socom fans, so hopefully they are teasing something.

SOCOM will never die! I am super excited and it would make my year if they come out with either a Con2 or S2HD in 2012[/QUOTE]

BUT BUT BUT you hate twitter :lol: FYI still best way to yell at me to play games

anything slant 6 touches turns to shit so i hope that isnt true. get a legit developer for socom2 hd.

Some recent developments tonight have me wondering why Slant 6 Games is so interested in SOCOM fans right now…

Last month, Slant Six Games released Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City (REORC) and has been rather busy with PR and post-launch support. For those of you that are not familiar with Slant 6′s previous work, they cut their teeth as a PlayStation exclusive developer for SOCOM: Tactical Strike and SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3 for the PSP, and SOCOM: Confrontation for the PS3. It wasn’t until REORC this year that Slant 6 developed a multi-platform title that included Xbox and PC releases with some help from Capcom. That being said, I personally find it rather interesting that Slant 6 has recently been showing a renewed interest in SOCOM fans on Twitter. Here are a few recent excerpts:
6:18 PM – 26 Apr 12 via Twitter
@Vigilant_ writes:
@SlantSixGames going great !! Be better if there was a true Socom/ Con 2 !!
@SlantSixGames replies:
@Vigilant_ So we keep hearing from the fans in our info@! What kind of features would you be looking for in your dream tactical shooter?
After a few retweets, the floodgates are open and SOCOM fans are feverishly tweeting as we speak. I also found it interesting that Slant 6 responded to one of my tweets personally when asking my followers which game they wanted me to livestream tonight at the TheRealSOCOM.com forums. SOCOM: Confrontation was one of the list of options I offered, and Slant 6 responded with their obvious choice. After checking out my recent activity, I noticed a little further down the feed that I was added to a new Twitter List (public) entitled “SOCOM Fans”. I immediately scrolled through their list feed and found April 10, 2012 to be their oldest tweet. They are slowly but surely acquiring more and more SOCOM fans on twitter, and will probably have their hands full very soon with the responses. (click here to see the “SOCOM Fans” Twitter List)
UPDATE: Shortly after the release of this article, the “SOCOM Fans” Twitter List mysteriously disappeared, adding even more fuel to the speculation.
I find this very interesting. I don’t think this is direct evidence of a “SOCOM: Confrontation 2″ currently in the works, but it at least points in a direction that Slant 6 is aware and asking SOCOM fans “What kind of features would you be looking for in your dream tactical shooter?”

bread's done
Back