CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

[quote name='AJVtony831']What are the Socom games like? Never played any but knowing it's the U.S. navy and the bundle that they have for $150 with the move, I'm tempted to pick this up. I'm also getting tired of black ops and Homefront disappointed me.[/QUOTE]

us navy? not no more, now its a lil rag tag multi national group of spec ops. game shouldnt have socom as a title not for its gameplay or even the reasoning behind naming it. :bomb:

I signed up for the 3 month trial of PSN+ I downloaded SOCOM beta last week and hated it... I used to love this game on PS2. I wanted to love it again but i've moved on. Oh well it'll always hold fond memories of part 1 and 2 and all the weekends me and my buddy sunk into this damn game multiple tvs set up in my living room playing... RIP SOCOM you used to be fun... Rip me all you will but CoD is so far superior as is Battlefield.

That said now a little positive! I have 2 codes for the Killzone 3 beta period.

PLEASE post when used to save others from trying:
6KR2-EHN3-7T8L

B4M8-6ENP-NRBP

EDIT: PMed the unposted 3rd code to: asthmatic I'm out of codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have PSN+ and will downloading the beta later today. I have a KZ3 code to any of the regulars who don't have a code. PM me if you need one for next week. And yes I will be checking with a few of the regulars to verify how often you play! :)

They need to tweak the consistency of hip fire and hard aim(not ADS)

And they also need to give us a higher sensitivity option because even at the highest setting the sensitivity still feels stiff.

Better maps that don't provoke heavy camping would be appreciated also

Just tried the beta. Still have no idea what I'm doing. The game looks nice though it does feel like another MAG. Right now it just seems like any other shooter out there. There's really nothing to make it stand out above the rest besides the Socom name and the third person.

I'm totally ready to start playing this next week. I think the number one thing that made Socom Confrontation my favorite game if all time was the CAG clan. I'm hopeful that this game will be able to promote a level of teamwork.

OH lol I posted my 2 codes and PMed another thinking the KZ3 beta was this week...

Well the 2 codes I posted above will be hot up for grabs whenever redemption times open so bookmark this post and good luck! :)

KZ3 beta codes
6KR2-EHN3-7T8L

B4M8-6ENP-NRBP

[quote name='Brainberry']They need to tweak the consistency of hip fire and hard aim(not ADS)

And they also need to give us a higher sensitivity option because even at the highest setting the sensitivity still feels stiff.

Better maps that don't provoke heavy camping would be appreciated also[/QUOTE]

i agree with you on the aim sensitivity being too stiff and slow i went up to the highest sensitivity after my first game and though im getting better i wish it was faster.

i also hate how broken the cover mechanic is once you hit that button you should get into cover mode but more times than not youre fighting with it to get it to work and before it does youre dead.

something is up with the knife as well ive swung at people 4 or 5 times without them dying and whats with the enemy color indicators dissappearing?

add to that respawning only to be instantly shot down because you respawn in front of enemies and the game needs work.

its a fun and challenging change from playing uncharted mp but it really needs work.

[quote name='8bitArtist']that dude looked like he sucked pretty hard[/QUOTE]

lol, I dont even know why that video was posted

[quote name='Cigarl']I'm totally ready to start playing this next week. I think the number one thing that made Socom Confrontation my favorite game if all time was the CAG clan. I'm hopeful that this game will be able to promote a level of teamwork.[/QUOTE]
this, and there's no other different choice out there, i have no choice but to buy this

i actually like the cover system, press up on left trigger to look up, left or right for the same. and the no dot on the crosshair is nice too, the general area inside means the bullet spread, and you can estimate the right location for your shots.

what im noticing is people afraid to get into close-range gunfights since its so weird n akward so they'll run around you n stab you or grenade you, an advantage they have over you cuz of the butt-close camera angle.

In the process of updating the beta right now.....whoosh a bit of a beastly download for me lol. I knew something was up when the initial beta download was only 450mb's. I will also have an extra KZ3 beta code to give out sometime then too (thanks PSN+!!!).

[quote name='lokizz']i agree with you on the aim sensitivity being too stiff and slow i went up to the highest sensitivity after my first game and though im getting better i wish it was faster.

i also hate how broken the cover mechanic is once you hit that button you should get into cover mode but more times than not youre fighting with it to get it to work and before it does youre dead.

something is up with the knife as well ive swung at people 4 or 5 times without them dying and whats with the enemy color indicators dissappearing?

add to that respawning only to be instantly shot down because you respawn in front of enemies and the game needs work.

its a fun and challenging change from playing uncharted mp but it really needs work.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 2's game mechanics were almost perfect. I fucking loved the Multi and even played competitively on it on Gamebattles. I wish it was more active though, but all around great and well balanced.

Best 3rd Person shooter imo.

Lol Slant Six is making a new Resident Evil game. Guaranteed to be a trainwreck,

Uncharted 2's Multiplayer was not very good. No accurate aiming, weapons were few and far between. Its sad that they are turning Socom into an Uncharted/COD no skill of a game. The uniqueness of Socom has been stripped away. That being said, it does feel good to play a shooter again.

[quote name='smiggity']Lol Slant Six is making a new Resident Evil game. Guaranteed to be a trainwreck,

Uncharted 2's Multiplayer was not very good. No accurate aiming, weapons were few and far between. Its sad that they are turning Socom into an Uncharted/COD no skill of a game. The uniqueness of Socom has been stripped away. That being said, it does feel good to play a shooter again.[/QUOTE]

Why would Capcom hire the Dev's behind the epic fail knows as Socom: Confrontation?

dafuk!

& the only thing the wasn't accurate on U2 was the hipfire......

Video just shows that this will play just like COD Run and Die. The spawning if not fixed, will lead to spawn camping. At least it wasnt grenade, noob tube spam.

Tried the demo. I wasn't really impressed. It just seemed like the crammed so much shit into one level, it really took away from the openess the PS2 socom games had. I will have to try more of this game but right now I don't care for it, although classic mode is just as I remember it.

brainberry, i loved u2's MP. dont know what game smog was playing but i found the aiming to be pretty accurate most of the time. hip fire should be inaccurate as they arent really aiming and just spraying. as for weapons, there were few to choose from just cuz they stayed within the scope of the campaign. i had no problem there. never ran outta ammo cuz id just restock on all the suckers i killed.

only gripe i had with the game was people glitching themselves into walls. hahaha

Uncharted took way too many bullets for someone with aim like mine to bring another player down. It is so rare that I actually hit someone, I need them to go down when I do. Other than that it was enjoyable. I thought the cover system worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was finally able to play the SOCOM 4 beta today and damn that was a huge update (1.6GB). Did one of you guys setup the CAG clan? I played with 2 people (forget their names but didn't look familiar) who had CAG clan tags but I didn't have a mic on to ask them about it.

Yeah, a douche was trying to spawn camp us by standing at the far back of our spawn behind where team-mates were spawning. He got a shotgun to the face.

[quote name='Vader582']http://www.lensoftruth.com/features/first-look/first-look-socom-4-multiplayer-beta/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA8M3j-wjq4&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

i sympathize with that guy the first 4 or 5 games i played thats how i felt ive gotten better now that ive found weapons i can play with but even then with all the camping and weird slow respawns you get killed pretty quick. not a day 1 buy for me but ill definelty get it eventually.

anybody know why they didnt add handguns to the game?

This game kind of looks like ass. I really hate the curved arrow direction thingy, or whatever the hell that is. I had higher hopes for the game when I first heard about it but I have a feeling it'll be a dud. I'll give my personal observations once I finish dl'ing all the stupid updates for the beta

Also, is it me, or does this just look like a third person version of MAG?

vader - thanks for the video. it seems like im the only non ps+ here. why in the world is he playing suppression? is that the only game mode available? the mode encourages spawn camping.

I agree with all the 3ps mag comments. even though it looks like crap, its more detailed than mag.

[quote name='pLaYeRiTo']what im noticing is people afraid to get into close-range gunfights since its so weird n akward so they'll run around you n stab you or grenade you, an advantage they have over you cuz of the butt-close camera angle.[/QUOTE]

i guess you havent played mag. knife and sidearm kills were insanely hard to get. i suspect people are spoiled by mw knife kills. there was a trophy that required you to knive people 15 times in a match. then you had to do it multiple times.

I finally tried this earlier today. I played for a couple of hours. My initial impressions are that I like it so far. I'll definitely keep playing it some more to find out if it is something I want to buy or not. There are a few things about the game that I wish were different. I'm still trying to get the aiming sensitivity to where I like it. Sometimes I had to hit the button for cover a few times to get it to register. The mini map seems pretty busy and it was kind of difficult to get used to. A couple times I briefly had the intel but I wasn't sure where to take it since there weren't any markers on my map once I had the intel.

Overall my initial impressions are that I like it so far. After playing it some more I may grow to like it more as I get used to things some more.

it seems like im the only non ps+ here.

I'm not in on the PSN+ group, so I'll be joining in on the death march next week. I love how in the last Zipper podcast, they said that they will be resetting the stats from the beta when the game comes out because they don't want anyone to have an advantage over someone that just bought the game. Like playing the game for a month before release isn't an advantage already.

After watching that guy get slaughtered in the video, I hope they take the red arrows off of every enemy's head and go back to the confrontation style of just having your team in blue.

I've played a few games of the beta and I'm not impressed. I echo the MAG comparisons by other posters. It's generic and there isn't much of a Socom feel to it. I'll wait for it to be cheap, but I'm no longer buying it day 1.

[quote name='Cigarl']After watching that guy get slaughtered in the video, I hope they take the red arrows off of every enemy's head and go back to the confrontation style of just having your team in blue.[/QUOTE]

I haven't watched the posted video in full but the red markers only showed up when enemies had fired or recently fired their gun from my experience. I saw plenty of enemies without any markers over their head. That leads me to the big problem I had with the beta so far is the inconsistency of the blue markers over teammates heads. For instance, if a team-mate just pops into my view it takes anywhere from a split second to a full second to show the icon over their head vs those that were already in my scope of view. So, the first match I played I had 2 team-kills because I shot first before waiting for the icon to show. There is a character uniform difference but unfortunately it is customizable and some of them look similar to the enemy teams' default uniform.

[quote name='enufs8d']vader - thanks for the video. it seems like im the only non ps+ here. why in the world is he playing suppression? is that the only game mode available? the mode encourages spawn camping.

I agree with all the 3ps mag comments. even though it looks like crap, its more detailed than mag.

i guess you havent played mag. knife and sidearm kills were insanely hard to get. i suspect people are spoiled by mw knife kills. there was a trophy that required you to knive people 15 times in a match. then you had to do it multiple times.[/QUOTE]

i think theyll keep changing the available game modes over time. when ti first started all you coudl do is supression and some uplink thing. now supression is gone and its the whole capture and hold this point type game.

the knife is way fucked in this game ive swung on people multiple times without a kill only to be shot by them a few times and die and becuase your turning speed is so slow if you miss and they go by you youre pretty much dead . the same can be said for shooiting someone up close if your aims off it takes too much time to reaim at them and before you know it your guns out of ammo and while youre reloading youre dead.

and now supression is back lol.

[quote name='lokizz']i think theyll keep changing the available game modes over time. when ti first started all you coudl do is supression and some uplink thing. now supression is gone and its the whole capture and hold this point type game.

the knife is way fucked in this game ive swung on people multiple times without a kill only to be shot by them a few times and die and becuase your turning speed is so slow if you miss and they go by you youre pretty much dead . the same can be said for shooiting someone up close if your aims off it takes too much time to reaim at them and before you know it your guns out of ammo and while youre reloading youre dead.

and now supression is back lol.[/QUOTE]

Knifes been patched. Rotation 100%, Pitch 100%. Now you're in the butter zone. That's if you're still talking about MAG.

Listened to podcast, sounds like we will be getting guns hot, accurate shooting, and hopefully a dot on crosshairs some where down the line. Plus dpad lean. Now just bring on some actual Socom game modes and I'm good.

That's very cool if they actually add all that in. Too bad they couldn't get it right at launch, but at least it's planned. Release a game with wider appeal to pull people in at launch + patch in "hardcore"/fan favorite options later = good strategy??

Just hope they don't release the classic modes/gameplay as a DLC pack.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Knifes been patched. Rotation 100%, Pitch 100%. Now you're in the butter zone. That's if you're still talking about MAG.[/QUOTE]

oh no i was talking about socom 4 beta. ive only played mag like twice it just never clicked with me.

[quote name='metaly']That's very cool if they actually add all that in. Too bad they couldn't get it right at launch, but at least it's planned. Release a game with wider appeal to pull people in at launch + patch in "hardcore"/fan favorite options later = good strategy??

Just hope they don't release the classic modes/gameplay as a DLC pack.[/QUOTE]

you can play new and classic mode in the demo so im gonna assume it will be in the final game.

[quote name='metaly']That's very cool if they actually add all that in. Too bad they couldn't get it right at launch, but at least it's planned. Release a game with wider appeal to pull people in at launch + patch in "hardcore"/fan favorite options later = good strategy??

I think its an alright strategy. They certainly know the classic fans will be waiting since we have nothing else to play. Plus in the podcast they said they needed to focus on SP and custom missions since you dont need to connect online for those modes, so they must be 100 percent done. This is certainly the first Socom where online has taken a backseat to SP, hopefully it works out.

Oh the Classic Modes will for sure be DLC I just hope its only 10 bucks.

[quote name='smiggity']the Classic Modes will for sure be DLC I just hope its only 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

theres game sharing.

[quote name='Snake2715']I am interested. I really enjoyed mag, feel as though I am already done with killzone 3 but Iplayed the crap out of the beta.[/QUOTE]

there is nothing like mag's command structure.

smiggity,
When can the Killzone beta codes be redemmed? I heard from Fleshribbon that there's essentially 2 GB worth of data to download and given my internet speed and the slow downloads on PSN, that's going to take me about 8-12 hours to download. Just wondering if I could start it now or if I have to wait until Tuesday night. Thanks in advance.

First of all to end the confusion, when we are talking about classic modes we should be saying classic game types such as Demolition, Breach, Extraction, etc. The classic mode (no respawn) of the new Zipper created game types is in the beta and will be in the game from day 1

[quote name='MSUHitman']smiggity,
When can the Killzone beta codes be redemmed? I heard from Fleshribbon that there's essentially 2 GB worth of data to download and given my internet speed and the slow downloads on PSN, that's going to take me about 8-12 hours to download. Just wondering if I could start it now or if I have to wait until Tuesday night. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

KZ3 codes can be redeemed once the store updates again on Tuesday (3 days from now)

One of the problems with them fixing major gameplay issues in the first month or so after release is all the game reviews are already out by then which effects the sales and the player pool. Confrontation was so broken at launch so the reviews slammed it. Once the game was fixed it was a blast to play, but so many people base purchases on reviews and the game has less sales because of the poor initial reviews which depletes the number of players that are out there. I hope the single player/co-op game helps with sales so there are more players out there than there were for confrontation.

Confrontation still was a great community. They were aggressive to the non-socomer, but damn it always felt good when a whole team cleans up because of great communication.

Can't wait to try it this up coming week. Haven't even played Socom with CAGs yet.

if they're not fixing the camera i am not buying the game. otherwise i think i can deal with the other issues (no grenade arc, no accurate first shot hipfire, dpad lean) or at least hope they patch that stuff. but if the camera is this way on release i am not buying until a patch

In listening to the last Zipper podcast with game director, Seth Luisi, it does give hope that the game will be fixed. It sounds like everything that people are complaining about (guns hot, d-pad lean, more accurate hip fire, etc) Seth agrees with, kind of makes you wonder as the game director how he allowed the multiplayer game to go the direction it did, because as he spoke about each one of the fixes he stated over and over what a large undertaking it is going to be to fix the animations, etc. and how none of the fixes will be quick and/or easy.

Does anyone know what time the PSN store typically updates on Tuesdays?

bread's done
Back