CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

BTW you only start with two character slots but you unlock a third when you get to a certain point (this does not apply to the beta). 3 is still kind of skimpy, but at least the year and lifetime subs alleviate that.

[quote name='matthewrex']I'm a little wary that we only get two characters before we have to buy more slots, that sounds a bit more nickel and diming that I'm used to, but I guess having 1 fed and 1 Klingon is about all I'd want. But if I want to try a different class, I either have to erase a character or buy a new slot, kinda lame.[/QUOTE]
Wow. That is lame. I thought the 2 character limit was only a beta thing. As an alt-aholic, I can't shell out full price for this game if I only get 2 slots. You should get at least one slot for every available faction/class, IMO.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Wow. That is lame. I thought the 2 character limit was only a beta thing. As an alt-aholic, I can't shell out full price for this game if I only get 2 slots. You should get at least one slot for every available faction/class, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Hell, I think WoW's 10 slots is way too few :p

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Wow. That is lame. I thought the 2 character limit was only a beta thing. As an alt-aholic, I can't shell out full price for this game if I only get 2 slots. You should get at least one slot for every available faction/class, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I actually have a bad track record of never finishing a character and moving on to other classes too often. This will definitely help me stay on track with my main, but it's still very shoddy that there's a two (possibly 3) character limit. The server space for something like a virtual character is most likely insignificant, especially for people who don't go crazy with it.

I do think there should be more, for sure. Follow WoW's suit at 10, or even 5. But three? :bomb:

The lack of extra slots is complete nickel and diming. No two ways around that. This game will be around for at least 2 years (if not longer) because #1 It is Star Trek and #2 It is not horrible and in fact, can be a lot of fun (i.e. there is no 800lbs gorilla of suckage sitting in the game). For the majority of Star Trek fans, I think they will enjoy this game. Is it the greatest thing since sliced bread? Probably not. It will improve over time though.

To the question about beta, that comic was very accurate. The core gameplay mechanics will not change, i.e. your missions will not be much different, you will still fly a ship and shoot phasers/torpedos, you will still go into ground missions and blast stuff, search crates, whatever. So if those core elements in your eyes suck or aren't well implemented, they will not get "fixed" by launch. The only thing that will get fixed by launch are common significant bugs, little gameplay tweaks, and some lag-induced issues. There will still be uncommon bugs, unfinished content (I'm looking at you, Klingons), and little things about the gameplay that are minor and could be tweaked, but they didn't have time. I would've liked for them to give the game another month or two myself to polish it up (hello shit tutorial), but they are either running into a financial deadline or have idiots for management. I'm leaning towards the later. Now who in the west coast wants to go to Del Taco and buy me a cup and send me the code?!? :p

[quote name='eastx']I agree. You can't even buy the game from 2 places, keep both preorder bonuses, and sell the extra copy of the game - the bonuses are tied to the code that comes with each game.

Which bonuses are you interested in, Walrus? I'm probably buying the game through Steam because that's what I do, but the GameStop Constitution-class ship seems like the best one.[/QUOTE]

The Next Generation or Borg stuff would be cool. It doesn't really matter anyway, though, because I can't get the game - I'm back in school and there's no way I'd have time for an MMO, especially not one that requires $60 up-front.

[quote name='bywaytm']I agree, there is a lot of cool things. Luckily if you read the pre-order faq it sounds like they are thinking about making them available as micro transactions down the road.

Q: Will the exclusives be offered as a microtransaction?
A: Not at launch, but somewhere down the road we may offer to let people purchases these if they did not pre-order.

So, I will give it 6 months to a year, if its still going strong, to get some very needed polish and check it out then (and the pre-order items will probably be available then)[/QUOTE]

That's reassuring. :)

I found out there's a Del Taco here in Florida right next to where I work, it must be a test market. I've had Del Taco whilst in LA, but the one here in Orlando is new. I'm going to call and see if they have the promotion, and if so I'll try and snag a few for us East Coast CAGers.

If you haven't played the beta yet, I suggest you do before you pre-order the game -- or at least commit to buy it, anyway. After playing in the beta, I've decided to pass on this one.

I have to admit that its been a bit of a 180 turnaround after the patch released like an hour ago so far from my experience. still some optimization issues but on a major note it has been a huge huge improvement.

Yeah, I never had a lot of the connection issues a lot of people had but this patch they just released definitely a big improvement in the UI in my mind. I will probably be buying this game and the lifetime sub now.

I'll definitely organize a CAG guild/fleet. I'm planning to wait till the Head Start to create it, but we could temporarily do it as a CAG Steam group (regardless of whether people are buying it through Steam).

I guess I'll have to create an alt for the CAG Fleet, but I don't have a problem with that. I actually can't wait until the headstart program now. It kinda sucks I have to redo all of my progress to this point. I just got into the real episodic missions, I guess that's the best description, like dealing with The Guardian and time travel. Loved it.

[quote name='fart_bubble']considering it's Star Trek, I have a hard time seeing Trekkies letting this die till a new one comes out[/QUOTE]

wasnt there a star trek online game before (might been a card based game) that died very quickly

Star Trek: Conquest was the name i think

Star Trek Conquest is just a Wii/PS2 game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Conquest
There's also Star Trek D-A-C, a cheap cash-in downloadable title for 360, PS3, and PC, that wasn't very good IMO. Star Trek Online is the first and only Start Trek MMO.

Everybody who wants to join the CAG Star Trek Online Fleet, post your Steam ID here or PM me with contact info (including Steam ID if you have one).
picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I remember hearing that our characters/progress from the Open Beta transfer to the Head Start and then into full retail?

If not, I'm a little bummed! I'm so close to ditching this slow ship!

Also, I'm not getting it on steam, but I have a steam account.

They're wiping the servers as far as I know. You start over from scratch in the Head Start. I can't seem to find anything other than that on the ST:O forums. Also, for the CAG Fleet SteamID: jp0213.

[quote name='matthewrex']I found out there's a Del Taco here in Florida right next to where I work, it must be a test market. I've had Del Taco whilst in LA, but the one here in Orlando is new. I'm going to call and see if they have the promotion, and if so I'll try and snag a few for us East Coast CAGers.[/QUOTE]
I'm stuck in MN, the closest Del Taco is a state over. Any chance you'd be willing to get codes for some Paypal?

[quote name='matthewrex']I thought I remember hearing that our characters/progress from the Open Beta transfer to the Head Start and then into full retail?

If not, I'm a little bummed! I'm so close to ditching this slow ship![/QUOTE]

Everything is wiped after the end of Open Beta and then the Head Start begins fresh.

Im pretty sure there was an online star trek game for the pc it was from the same people who made

WWE with autority back in 2001..

still think it was called Star Trek Conquest

I'll see what I can do with the Del Taco codes. If they let me buy 5 or 6 large sodas, I'll do it. :)

If not, I'll pop by a couple of times after work and try to get some. Can't make any promises though!

[quote name='slidecage']Im pretty sure there was an online star trek game for the pc it was from the same people who made

WWE with autority back in 2001..

still think it was called Star Trek Conquest[/QUOTE]

Star Trek: ConQuest Online

http://pc.ign.com/articles/164/164215p1.html

I expect this game to last longer then conquest did. Conquest looks like it was a pile of garbage.

[quote name='matthewrex']I'll see what I can do with the Del Taco codes. If they let me buy 5 or 6 large sodas, I'll do it. :)

If not, I'll pop by a couple of times after work and try to get some. Can't make any promises though![/QUOTE]
Awesome. :applause: You should be able to just ask for the Large sodas without the soda. Some guy on the STO forums did this and got a few dozen cups.

Okay, so there was a two-player card game for the PC. That's no more an MMO than Star Trek D-A-C, or the many other Star trek games with multiplayer components.

Hey, you guys who asked to join the Fleet or who I PMed about it, accept the invites already. :)

Alright, I managed to snag one cup for me, one for a friend, and one for a CAG-er that already asked me via PM. Here's the deal, the cups are $2 +tax each, and I'd like to factor in a bit for gas too, if you guys want them.

The manager was really nice and seemed genuinely interested in the game. I talked to him for a bit and he was really cool with selling me as many as I wanted. I didn't want to spend $20 on stupid cups before I got any kind of a tally from you guys.

I'm happy to work something out, let's try and figure out what would be fair.

Awesome, Mathewrex! That must be the preorder code that comes with Season 3/Best of STar Trek TNG V.2. How silly of them not to include unique codes with every copy, but great for us.

Just let us know how much you want for the codes - if you take 3 or 4 people's orders at once, gas should be less of an issue.

Keen and Mathewrex, I am still disappointed at your lack of Fleet joinage. C'mon...

I'm going to uninstall the beta - no reason to keep it around. Hopefully in a year or two it'll be worth playing.

I'll try to get a few codes, seems if i just buy the extra large drink. its like 2$ for an x-large here in California, but the first Del Taco I went to had no idea about the cups, ill keep you guys up to date.
As for the fleet, my steam id is: boxcutter

edit: PM me, ill be trying tomorrow, I think I'll buy upwards of 5 extra in one trip besides the one im grabbing for me and my buddy. I'll just charge you 2$ for it once i have it in hand

Wow that's the code I got for the admiral uniform. The goofs didn't differentiate. Fortunately the blu ray is awesome so no loss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='matthewrex']Not sure if this is supposed to be "hush hush" but I found something on the internets. Go to http://startrekonline.com/enter_key and copy/paste this in: "JIH MUSHA SOH". This activates a special "Wrath of Kahn Admiral's Uniform" to your account.

Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Nice find! Thanks!

Alrighty, screw the gas, everyone who wants one (I'll probably do up to five each run) shoot me a PM and we'll make this happen. $2 and if you feel like pitching in for gas, be my guest, but it isn't required. :)

Also, I can't go on forever, so I'm committing to 2 or 3 runs as of now, so 10 or 15 cups total. But if the manager lets me go nuts, I can try to get as many cups as there's demand for...

---

Also, my steam id is "MatthewRex". I sent a PM to someone about the fleet but I guess it wasn't to the right person?

After the patch last night, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and pre-order. Still don't like the limit on character slots, but hopefully they fix it in the future. I can't imagine a bunch of people (who buy the game without knowing) will like it and hopefully push Cryptic into adding a couple more.

Is there a consensus about which is the best pre-order bonus? I like the Gamestop one, but I really hate giving them my money, and it's cheaper/free shipping/release date delivery on amazon. Living in BFE, I'll have to get it shipped no matter what.

Not being a big MMO guy (in fact this is my first really since Conan and the cheap timecards I got from Hastings are still unused), what is the big deal about character slots? I got lifetime, so I am going to end up with four or five, which seems like enough for the family to use (2 of us). Mind you, I'm not going to be playing 50 hours a week or anything, probably 10 or less at most.

[quote name='turls']Not being a big MMO guy (in fact this is my first really since Conan and the cheap timecards I got from Hastings are still unused), what is the big deal about character slots? I got lifetime, so I am going to end up with four or five, which seems like enough for the family to use (2 of us). Mind you, I'm not going to be playing 50 hours a week or anything, probably 10 or less at most.[/QUOTE]
There's 3 different "classes" and a multitude of different races. Add in the Klingon faction, and it'd take at least 6 character slots to try out each faction/class combo.

I'm an alt-aholic, I have probably 10 characters in WoW that I play on a regular basis, and many others that I created to try different things out. Being limited to 2 (or 3 once you unlock that slot) seems like nothing more than a money grab by Cryptic to get people to buy new slots (even though they won't confirm you'll even be able to buy more, AFAIK). I shouldn't have to shell out $120 up front to guarantee I'll have 2 more character slots.

Lawyers I do favor the GameStop bonus, though if you're not getting a lifetime sub, Amazon's Borg officer might be pretty attractive (plus the $10 gift card). Then again, Amazon doesn't sell the digital deluxe version, which has lots of good items.

One thing to consider is that if you buy through Steam, your Steam friends list will show people you're playing the game.

Also, please join the fleet after you preorder!

[quote name='eastx']One thing to consider is that if you buy through Steam, your Steam friends list will show people you're playing the game.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you don't have to purchase a game on Steam to have access to the Steam overlay while playing a game. For games you do not purchase on Steam, simply go to your Steam "My games" tab, click on "Add non-Steam game...", and locate the game you want to add to your Steam "My games" tab (or browse for the game's executable (.exe), if the game's not listed). Launching the game from that tab (or right-clicking on it, choosing "Create desktop shortcut", and using that desktop shortcut) will give you access to the Steam overlay while playing the game and show you playing that game ("In non-Steam game" as opposed to "In-Game") on all your friends' lists.

EDIT: Desktop icons created from the "My games" tab use the blank icon. To change the icon to the game's icon, do the following:

Right-click on shortcut
Click on "Properties"
Click on "Change Icon..."
Browse to the game's executable (.exe)
Select icon
Click "Ok" twice

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Is there a consensus about which is the best pre-order bonus? I like the Gamestop one, but I really hate giving them my money, and it's cheaper/free shipping/release date delivery on amazon. Living in BFE, I'll have to get it shipped no matter what.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty meh on the Gamestop pre-order. From the info on the STO website, it sounds like it's just a different ship you have for the first 10 levels. I opted to go with Amazon, for the Borg Bridge Officer. With that and my Lifetime Borg Character, I can Borg it up on my ship. :bouncy:

bread's done
Back