CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

Lawyers-

From my experience in the beta I would say the most "lasting/valuable" pre-order is the Amazon one with the borg bridge officer. The Gamestop one is definitely nice, but you will grow out of that ship after the first 10 "levels". So say, 20 hours of gameplay and you will never use it again. The next ship type you can make to look exactly like the Constitution class (not a Trekkie, so please don't bash me if it's not exact :p ), so if you are getting it for that, it's not worth it. The other things are items you will replace anyways. The Digital Deluxe does have the Joined Trill, so if you aren't going lifetime (or are and don't care for the borg captain), then that's a good option. I prefer D2D over Steam only because the item is superior. So I suppose my recommendation is #1 Amazon #2 Direct2Drive if you want to double-dip (which is what I did).

[quote name='starkillr']The next ship type you can make to look exactly like the Constitution class (not a Trekkie, so please don't bash me if it's not exact :p ), so if you are getting it for that, it's not worth it.[/QUOTE]
Not bashing, just being a nitpicky Star Trek nerd. :) At level 11, you get a new ship. You can pick from one of 3 types of ship, no matter what class you are, you get to pick any of these 3 ships. One of them is essentially a more modern version of the classic TOS Enterprise. It's similar to the ship in the top right of the STO front page. Now remember, that's one of 3 types of ship you can pick, and each of the different types of ship look and play differently and have different capabilities. So, you won't necessarily want to get that particular class of ship when presented with the option.

After reading more than just that post too, it looks like they are looking into doing a respec option or already have that in place for the final version. I could be incorrect in that but the further you read the more is said about the designed respec.

I went with amazon, the $10 credit and slightly lower price was the thing that swayed me. After reading that the Gamestop ship cannot be customized and it is only useful at lower levels turned me off of that.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, I wouldn't want everyone to become overpowered. Skill caps are necessary for balance.[/QUOTE]

But it completely throws off the balance in the skill tree, skill points rewards curve, and also skill power scaling.

Cryptic pulled this kinda crap with their xp curve in Champions Online prior to the release. It created xp gaps that players had to grind to overcome.

The skill point cap is a good idea. It's just something they probably should have implemented earlier during the development process.

How do we know it wasn't done earlier during the process? Because their website still says no skill cap. There wasn't even an announcement that they were placing a skill cap.

Apparently one of the Devs let the cat out the bag during a press interview.

Besides if there was unlimited amount of skill points no player would truly be overpowered. The beauty of the game was that you were limited by the ship you piloted at the moment and the Bridge Officers you had assigned and what skills those bridge officers had.

It wouldn't be like WoW were you had one spellbook and could cast every spell in the game or have every talent in the game.

I'm a bit annoyed that Amazon isn't giving the $10 credit for the Collector's Edition. They're pulling the same thing with Mass Effect 2. I just don't get it.

As far as the skill cap goes, I'm a bit too naive in the MMO genre to fully understand the implications of their decisions. Anyone care to elaborate?

[quote name='matthewrex']I'm a bit annoyed that Amazon isn't giving the $10 credit for the Collector's Edition. They're pulling the same thing with Mass Effect 2. I just don't get it.

As far as the skill cap goes, I'm a bit too naive in the MMO genre to fully understand the implications of their decisions. Anyone care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

They have to re-adjust the amount of skill points given out to complete a quest. Hand out too much and people will hit the max level before going through the intended "level up content". Give out too few and players will hit a gap of not having enough mission to hit max level.

The current tree is also tuned with idea of unlimited skill points. Skills further down the tree might not be accessible even if a player sticks specifically to their branch. Tactical, Engineer, Science. Usually this sort of thing gets hammered out in a Closed Beta or Open Beta so players can test to make sure Cryptic's mathematicians are on the ball.

Also add to the fact that they are still working to resolve a slew of bugs and now have to possibly deal with this beast which should have been dealt with a month ago.

[quote name='matthewrex']I'm a bit annoyed that Amazon isn't giving the $10 credit for the Collector's Edition. They're pulling the same thing with Mass Effect 2. I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]

They pulled that same crap with the Dragon Age: Origins CE. Even though I'm leaning towards purchasing STO on Steam, if I don't, I'd likely purchase the non-CE version from Amazon.

If you take a screen capture of the text for the $10 gift card offer and email them after receiving the Collector's Edition, saying you didn't get the gift card, they'll usually cave in and give you one. I've done it.

[quote name='Keen314']Not bashing, just being a nitpicky Star Trek nerd. :) At level 11, you get a new ship. You can pick from one of 3 types of ship, no matter what class you are, you get to pick any of these 3 ships. One of them is essentially a more modern version of the classic TOS Enterprise. It's similar to the ship in the top right of the STO front page. Now remember, that's one of 3 types of ship you can pick, and each of the different types of ship look and play differently and have different capabilities. So, you won't necessarily want to get that particular class of ship when presented with the option.[/QUOTE]

Well, if my memory is correct, there are 3 aesthetic versions of each type of ship at that level. For example, for cruisers, there are 3 different skins/modules you can use and one template is Constitution. I think I glanced at it and it reminded me of the old school one. You won't get your blue phasers, but it's about the same (to me anyways!).

So, those of you that have been playing the beta long enough and have a pretty good grip on the game (I've only been in the beta for 3 days, but have really liked it) - what is the best preorder deal out of all of these?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pre-order, but want to get the best bang for my buck. Yes, I realize all the in-game items eventually become obsolete, but I want something that will be useful at least for awhile.

Thanks!

[quote name='cusoman']So, those of you that have been playing the beta long enough and have a pretty good grip on the game (I've only been in the beta for 3 days, but have really liked it) - what is the best preorder deal out of all of these?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pre-order, but want to get the best bang for my buck. Yes, I realize all the in-game items eventually become obsolete, but I want something that will be useful at least for awhile.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
http://www.startrekonline.com/retail

Click Details next to each retailer in your region. Buy from the one that has the stuff you want.

I bet each cup has a different letter. 4 cups, 4 letters: A, B, C, D. I have the Bird of Prey cup, and my account says "Promotion A". Since you can only add one code from each cup, I bet this is the differentiator.

[quote name='matthewrex']I bet each cup has a different letter. 4 cups, 4 letters: A, B, C, D. I have the Bird of Prey cup, and my account says "Promotion A". Since you can only add one code from each cup, I bet this is the differentiator.[/QUOTE]
Did you get my PM?

Looks like the only bonus of redeeming all 4 is 10 free days of game time. I imagine any 4 will give you the shuttle craft.

[quote name='gunm']Is it too late to request a del taco code, matt?[/QUOTE]

Not at all, just shoot me a PM.

[quote name='Keen314']Did you get my PM?[/QUOTE]

Sure did, it'll be a couple of days before I make another run.

---

Anybody out there ordering the Collector's Edition? I pre-ordered it on Amazon, and to be honest I'm a tad annoyed that it doesn't come with the same stuff the Digital Deluxe Edition does. I understand varying the items, but we're paying $20 more for a physical package, it'd seem like we'd be getting the extra stuff as well.

The Star Trek Online Digital Deluxe Edition offers such bonuses as five exclusive in-game items as well as the ability to play as a “Joined Trill” – a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The five exclusive in-game items include:

• Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).
  • Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
  • Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.
  • Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.
  • Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.
I guess our unique item is the Red Matter Capacitor, but I'm still a bit peeved. Am I nuts?

[quote name='matthewrex']Sure did, it'll be a couple of days before I make another run.[/quote]Fantastic, thanks!
Anybody out there ordering the Collector's Edition? I pre-ordered it on Amazon, and to be honest I'm a tad annoyed that it doesn't come with the same stuff the Digital Deluxe Edition does.
I am. This game has the most complicated pre-order bonuses I've ever seen. I had to read over the page that lists them for half an hour before I decided that Amazon Collector's Edition provided the most stuff I wanted. Utterly ridiculous. IIRC, we get some unique uniforms, like the DS9 ones. That's what swayed me. :bouncy:

[quote name='Keen314']Fantastic, thanks!

I am. This game has the most complicated pre-order bonuses I've ever seen. I had to read over the page that lists them for half an hour before I decided that Amazon Collector's Edition provided the most stuff I wanted. Utterly ridiculous. IIRC, we get some unique uniforms, like the DS9 ones. That's what swayed me. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I wanted the Collector's no matter what because I'm a sucker for them. The communicator badge, art book and the like look really slick. Also, the Amazon pre-order bonus is the best IMO. Borg!

I just want the stuff from the Digital Deluxe too! Damn them! *shakes fist*

Thanks, PM sent!

I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe from Steam. Also took it from behind and went lifer. I like the space stuff--it's like Eve Online without all the micromanagement.

Gunm it'll be awesome having you along on the fleet battles! In a couple of years, hopefully we'll be feeling like we came out on top with the lifetime subscriptions.

Mathew, the Collector's Edition would be way more compelling if it had most or all of the Digital Deluxe items. I think it will eventually drop in price; $80 and the contents of the box don't match up.

Thanks for the invite eastx--hopefully I'll see you some as my timezone is usually not compatible w/most CAGs.

As much I would've liked the CE, the Digital Deluxe seemed like the better choice because it gives a lot of nice items yet comes in $20 less MSRP than the CE.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, I'm really liking the space battles, fun as hell when you do it with some people.
It is heartening to see some of you guys took the lifetime plunge. I'm going to try it out for just a little more to make sure.

[quote name='docvinh']I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, I'm really liking the space battles, fun as hell when you do it with some people.
It is heartening to see some of you guys took the lifetime plunge. I'm going to try it out for just a little more to make sure.[/QUOTE]
Have you hit level 11 yet? That's when you get your first specialized ship. IMO, that's when the space battles get really interesting.

[quote name='Keen314']Have you hit level 11 yet? That's when you get your first specialized ship. IMO, that's when the space battles get really interesting.[/QUOTE]

Not even remotely level 11, only level 3.:) Grrr, server is down.

Quick edit, if I ordered from Amazon, are they going to send me a code for the head start stuff, or does it come in the box?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only at level 8 right now.

I'm still trying to figure out what version I want to buy. I'm a sucker for CEs, but there are so many different exclusives.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']I'm only at level 8 right now.

I'm still trying to figure out what version I want to buy. I'm a sucker for CEs, but there are so many different exclusives.[/QUOTE]

I went with Amazon because I figured the borg officer would be the most useful for a while. Though the starship from gamestop was tempting too.

Amazon should email you within a day or two. I had pre-ordered for several months prior so I got my code the day before open beta.

[quote name='docvinh']Quick edit, if I ordered from Amazon, are they going to send me a code for the head start stuff, or does it come in the box?[/QUOTE]
Your beta key gets you into head start. It also lasts you for a little while after the game comes out. Cryptic setup the keys with a grace period after release, so if you don't get your box on the day the game comes out you're not locked out of playing.

have a question about the sto forums themselves. Just out of curiosity, when u look at a user's profile on the forums, right next to it where it indicates either online/offline (in a small black box) does that indicate the user being online atm for the forums, inside the actual game, or both?

I'm checking out the beta and new to this MMORPG stuff, I'm not sure what to make of all of it. I am thinking not so much worth the 15 a month and I'm a die hard trekkie...I feel ashamed

[quote name='modano79']I'm checking out the beta and new to this MMORPG stuff, I'm not sure what to make of all of it. I am thinking not so much worth the 15 a month and I'm a die hard trekkie...I feel ashamed[/QUOTE]

Well, play more. It takes a while to get used to, and the missions get better farther in.

Welcome to the lifetime club, Jp!!!!

I'm very tempted to get the lifetime subscription after playing this beta.

I'll actually probably get the CE at Target, I work there, so I get a 10% discount, plus I have a $5 off coupon, and some gift cards.

I'm going to go ahead and get the lifetime sub after I get my code from amazon, I'm enjoying it a lot and have had to take forced timeouts so I can get some other stuff done during the day.:)

That's great Docvinh! Would you like to join the CAG Star Trek Online Fleet? Just PM your Steam userID to me and I'll send you an invite.

Zeldafan, you're invited too.

picture.php

I never really got into MMO's but I am enjoying this, maybe because i sit around and quote Pricard as i maneuver my ship in the space battles.

bread's done
Back