CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

I got to Commander in the span of beta (level 30 equivalent) and there's only another 20 levels to go. I think this means that I will get to take it easy with this game and not sweat the subscription. After all, ME2 came out and I have yet to finish ME1! Need to get on that...

I just got to level 13 during the beta. I play in chunks. I've heavily debating the lifetime plan but it's so much up front! I've been playing the beta all day today and LOVE it, I definitely see myself playing a lot. I'm still upset my character is getting wiped, so annoying!

So how are fleets going to work? If you guys spend 2 days straight at launch playing and I only play a few hours, am I going to be hopelessly behind? I don't get how that works with the "episodes". If I miss the group doing an episode, I guess I'm soloing it?

[quote name='denshaotoko']am i reading this right? if you buy the lifetime subscription you don't get the game included in that? you have to buy the game separate?[/QUOTE]

I wish they offered a way to buy lifetime subscription with the game. Otherwise I'd feel cheated by having that free month that wouldn't be worth anything.

The least they could have done was throw in a bunch of the retailer-specific pre-order bonuses or something.

[quote name='fart_bubble']I'm still waiting for Avalon to become real (under-rated flick though I'm in the minority)[/QUOTE]

That movie is great. Way under-rated.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are paying $60 less than the normal price on the lifetime sub on top of getting borg race and character slots if that makes you feel any better!

[quote name='turls']So how are fleets going to work? If you guys spend 2 days straight at launch playing and I only play a few hours, am I going to be hopelessly behind? I don't get how that works with the "episodes". If I miss the group doing an episode, I guess I'm soloing it?[/QUOTE]
Definitely not hopelessly behind, even if people have already played the mission, if you invited them to your team and share the mission they should be able to replay it with you. I know it worked that way during the beta so I don't see why that would change now. I hope it doesn't change.

I bought the digital deluxe off steam.
I have 'til Feb 1st to decide if I'm getting the lifetime or a year...

on giantbomb.com, Jeff bought a lifer, and everyone made fun of him saying it was the stupidest thing he could have done. And Ryan bought a year, and everyone is rooting that he did the right thing. Locking in with a year, it's 9 dollars a month to play. So if I like the game, I can just rebuy a sub next February, for $119, right?

God, a lifer sub just gets rid of this stress....

Yeah, once you do the 1-year at that price the way I read the terms you continue to get the option to renew at 1-year long periods for the same price. I'm not going to say which is the best for you but for me the lifetime really was my only option. It is a bit much up front but totally worth it after what I've played in the beta.

Oh wait, I didn't see the Borg as a playable race if you get the lifetime thing. Is that purely cosmetic, or is it more than just a look?

More than just a look. Straight from the FAQ

Q: What are the playable Borg’s in-game traits?
A: The Liberated Borg begins with the following two traits. You can select another two traits from a general list.
Borg Nanites: +10% Health Regeneration
Description: Ground Trait. Constantly regenerates shields and health.

Efficient: +5 Starship Shield Efficiency, +5 Starship Engine Efficiency, +5 Starship Energy Weapon Efficiency, +5 Starship Auxiliary Systems Efficiency
Description: Space Trait. Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.

The Liberated Borg also has a unique optional trait.

Neural Blast: 30 second debuff. Drastically reduces run speed. Every 4 seconds, Neural Blast has a 40% chance to hold the target for 3 seconds.
Description: Activatable Ground Trait. Inject the target with neural toxins, which continually attempt to hold the target for the duration. Also reduces the target's movement speed.

Q: What are the playable Borg’s in-game traits?
A: The Liberated Borg begins with the following two traits. You can select another two traits from a general list.
Borg Nanites: +10% Health Regeneration
Description: Ground Trait. Constantly regenerates shields and health.

Efficient: +5 Starship Shield Efficiency, +5 Starship Engine Efficiency, +5 Starship Energy Weapon Efficiency, +5 Starship Auxiliary Systems Efficiency
Description: Space Trait. Provides a bonus to efficiency stats, improving the effectiveness of many of your power management abilities.

The Liberated Borg also has a unique optional trait.

Neural Blast: 30 second debuff. Drastically reduces run speed. Every 4 seconds, Neural Blast has a 40% chance to hold the target for 3 seconds.
Description: Activatable Ground Trait. Inject the target with neural toxins, which continually attempt to hold the target for the duration. Also reduces the target's movement speed.

[quote name='matthewrex']If you read the subscription page: http://startrekonline.com/exclusive_specials

It lists Borg stats. I'm still so tempted by lifetime, but damn if it isn't a lot up front. Do you think you'll be able to sell your account (ala WoW) down the line if you stop playing?[/QUOTE]

If I remember the WoW Terms & Conditions correctly you weren't exactly allowed to sell that account either, people just did it anyway.

You know, I'm not sure. But I'm going lifer, and you should too! I know next to nothing about Star Trek, and CO, and CoH has a bad track record, but I think this is the redeeming game, and I'm getting a lifer sub. I just got a strong feeling I'm going to like this game, as my dad has seen every episode of Star Trek and all the movies, and it used to be on in the background as a kid, I just never turned around to watch it. Yet I'm intrigued now.
I feel like the fans would take over the development studio and raid the offices if certain things weren't up to their standards, and it remained as buggy as it is now in the months to come.

I'm biting the bullet and just doing it. I just wish I had one of those codes from Del Taco for a pet. :( I don't have any of those restaurants nearby, though.

And yeah it's a lot upfront, but seriously, if you decide to get it later it's $300 bucks without the bonuses. And all of Giantbomb will be playing this game, at least for a year.
I'm joining the ranks as a lifetime subscriber here. Just made my decision.

[quote name='jp0213']If I remember the WoW Terms & Conditions correctly you weren't exactly allowed to sell that account either, people just did it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Gotchya. I never did, but I was just curious. It seems like a viable option if you ever stop playing.

Especially if you have a lifetime subscription tagged to it. That lone for some people would make it a nice choice.

All righty, I'm all set to go. I gotta head off to class, but my tag for STO is Tipio, just like here. And on steam I'm Gene_Rivers. Anyone, feel free to add me, and we can set up our fleet.

woo!

Invite sent for the CAG Fleet group on Steam. We have a time setup to meet up on Friday so we can setup the Fleet. Basically we need 5 people that get out of the Tutorial area in a group together in-game before we can create that fleet. I think the timeframe setup to get together is around 8PM EST if I remember correctly.

I can probably be there without an issue. Starbase 24, yes? Hopefully I'll be able to speed through the tutorial process again once I get out of work and meet up with you guys.

Also, how does inviting others to the fleet work? Are there officers, admins, etc?

I'll probably be playing at work on Friday so I'll be ready at that time. Once we get the fleet started, which EastX is going to take the lead on creating the fleet in game. There will be the typical structure of people who have these privileges and what not. I figure from most of the people that have signed up this will be a fairly relaxed fleet in terms of invites and stuff.

Once we have the fleet created it'll be easy getting invited to the fleet. I think we'll probably have 2 or 3 people with invite privileges just because all CAGs live in different timezones. Once the fleet is created though you could just message someone with invite privileges in the CAG Fleet group page and if they are on they'll send the invite and be good to go.

I just want to plow out of tutorial so I can really get into the game during the weekend, lol. But hopefully I can catch someone with invite ability when I do get on.

I like the current fleet name, but if you guys have suggestions, we'll consider them. Taking the CAG out of the name would sort of distance us from what brought us together though.

We plan to create a fully-featured fleet webpage sometime soon. One that keeps track of members and their characters, screenshots of the fleet playing together, optional IRL photographs, etc. I would really like as many people as possible to utilize it when it's ready. To make it easier we'll post announcements on the Steam page whenever the fleet webpage is updated. Suggestions and opinions are welcomed.

[quote name='gunm']I just want to plow out of tutorial so I can really get into the game during the weekend, lol. But hopefully I can catch someone with invite ability when I do get on.[/QUOTE]

Well I can tell you since I'll be using the weekend to catch up on my paperwork at work, I'll be online for a good portion of it.

[quote name='matthewrex']Are we going to come up with a cool name for the fleet? Something a bit more Trek-y than CAG? Perhaps an an acronym for CAG?[/QUOTE]

Hadn't really thought about it, but that could be interesting. Wonder what all we could come up with so CAG would be the initials?

Collective Assholes Group
Character Alliance Gamma
CheapyD Allied Garrison

Well my ideas really suck. Not the most creative person when I'm stuck using certain letters. Especially the letters C and G. Anyone got some ideas?

[quote name='jp0213']Well I can tell you since I'll be using the weekend to catch up on my paperwork at work, I'll be online for a good portion of it.

Hadn't really thought about it, but that could be interesting. Wonder what all we could come up with so CAG would be the initials?

Collective Assholes Group
Character Alliance Gamma
CheapyD Allied Garrison

Well my ideas really suck. Not the most creative person when I'm stuck using certain letters. Especially the letters C and G. Anyone got some ideas?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of Crabby Ass Gamers, but then it might just be me only.:lol:

Get off my lawn you kids!

[quote name='eastx']I like the current fleet name, but if you guys have suggestions, we'll consider them. Taking the CAG out of the name would sort of distance us from what brought us together though.

We plan to create a fully-featured fleet webpage sometime soon. One that keeps track of members and their characters, screenshots of the fleet playing together, optional IRL photographs, etc. I would really like as many people as possible to utilize it when it's ready. To make it easier we'll post announcements on the Steam page whenever the fleet webpage is updated. Suggestions and opinions are welcomed.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I wasn't meaning distance ourselves from the site / community, more of an acronym. I'll start pondering some stuff.

Also, I'm sure you already have someone in mind, but I'm a graphic / web designer by profession. You can see some of my work here: http://www.matthewrex.com. I've got a pretty busy schedule but I'd love to help do some graphic design for the fleet; emblems, logos, anything really!

Mathewrex you're a lifesaver! I would definitely love the help.

Damn it, there's a new preorder bonus: http://www.syfy.com/startrekonline/
* Neodymium Deflector Dish - An in-game item grants a bonus to Auxiliary power, boosts maneuverability, and increases the effectiveness of a ship's Science abilities.
* 500 Cryptic Points - These micro-transaction credits can be used to purchase in-game items and unlock unique bonuses.
* Syfy Store Discount - Purchasers of the Syfy bundle will receive 15% off their next purchase at the Syfy store!

I actually favor Chinese Ass Grabbers, but I suppose we can't really use that one. You guys have given many good suggestions.

I think Chinese Ass Grabbers is great but I'm not sure if that would pass the Fleet creation stage. I'm sure they have things in place to not allow you to use what people would consider vulgar language.

Love how these pockets of Klingons make it through the borg to the admirals office, then get hosed by the 15 or so of us in there taking them out as soon as they get off the turbolift.

Continual Assraping Gang? Just kidding. I'm a fan of chinese ass grabbers if it let's us. Celestial Allied Gathering would be my take on that earlier suggestion. Also perhaps a Khan-like Ceti Alpha Gang? My biggest problem in trying to figure out a name using CAG is I always lean towards "ass" and "anal" when I try to construct one...but at least I'm not the only one. Continuum Ancillary Galaxy (take on Q-continuum)? Shit this sucks. The first name is a perfect description of what happened to the Klingons at the end of beta...uhhh, ok, I think I'm out of ideas :)

Well, I just got Lieutenent Commander about an hour before the beta shut down. I'm very proud of myself.

I have had a lot of fun so far. What a game. And I've never been a fan of MMOs. I'll probably get the lifetime subscription. Very tempting, plus I'll be saving in the long run.

I'd love to join the CAG Fleet, but I don't have a Steam account. Is there another way to do it?

I'll be playing Friday, but not until night when I get off work. It didn't take me long to get through the tutorial the first time.

I really like the Ceti Alpha Gang.

[quote name='Zeldafanatic15']Well, I just got Lieutenent Commander about an hour before the beta shut down. I'm very proud of myself.

I have had a lot of fun so far. What a game. And I've never been a fan of MMOs. I'll probably get the lifetime subscription. Very tempting, plus I'll be saving in the long run.

I'd love to join the CAG Fleet, but I don't have a Steam account. Is there another way to do it?[/QUOTE]

We are mainly just using the Steam Groups function for the initial grouping of our Fleet, get everything going but will stay active if Eastx gets the site going like he was thinking. He was thinking about setting up a full site. I know a number of us will be posting our in-game IDs on the Steam page and I would be willing to put mine in this page so you can add one of us in-game to get the fleet invite.

bread's done
Back