CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Wombat, have you been back to Pittsburgh much (obviously when Covid wasn't a thing)? How did you enjoy your time here in the Burgh during college years? We are the same age, so do you remember places like the Boardwalk, Coconuts and Tequila Willie's?

In case you couldn't tell, I live in Pittsburgh.

For your 15th Anniversary can you bring back other guest CAGers like Jimmymack? Would be funny.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Listening to the old CAGcast episodes I sadly remembered the first time I heard the "Win Cheapy's games". Worse than a childhood trauma. Never won squat.

Any chance you can bring that back? Or better yet, do a "Win Shipwreck's games."

Are you guys watching the Harley Quinn cartoon? Seems like it would be a hit with you, especially Wombat.

I just watched the Sonic movie. Yikes. Here's my question: can someone explain to me why so many grown men immerse themselves in things that are meant for children? Is there a reason people don't want to become adults?

I was supposed to send Cheapy a message here on CAG regarding the Lenovo prize, right? I sent it out on the 15th, but it shows up on my side as not having been read by Cheapy. I did not expect a response to my message, but that "Not yet read" is worrisome. Thanks.

Probably a question for Shipwreck but anyone can answer. There was a classic arcade game called Cliff Hanger. It was similar to Dragon's Lair but used clips from the anime Lupin the III. Also is shown briefly in Goonies. Any chance anyone will release this to console? I Googled but not a lot of info. Seems perfect for the Switch. Do you guys remember it or was that before your time?

Probably a question for Shipwreck but anyone can answer. There was a classic arcade game called Cliff Hanger. It was similar to Dragon's Lair but used clips from the anime Lupin the III. Also is shown briefly in Goonies. Any chance anyone will release this to console? I Googled but not a lot of info. Seems perfect for the Switch. Do you guys remember it or was that before your time?

I remember Cliffhanger. I don't think I ever saw it in an arcade, but I remember they featured it in an episode of the game show The Video Game in the early 80s.
I don't think it will ever be released because the game is based on The Castle of Cagliostro which was directed by Miyazaki. I'm guessing copyright issues would prevent it from being released, plus I don't think the game was very popular. Worst of all those Laserdisc games were prone to breaking down because of the hardware, so I doubt you'd even see one in the wild nowadays.

EDIT It says on the Wikipedia page:
The game was considered for inclusion on the American Blu-ray release of The Castle of Cagliostro by Discotek Media, however, due to an inability to find the original contracts for the game, it was left off the release.[2].
Also I misremembered, it was featured on Starcade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for good FPS to put on new Asus Ryzen 9 laptop. Is anyone still playing Apex Legends?
cb11ca0cf96c2ad9ce6708b8292d35ce.jpg

Hey guys, been listening for years and part way thru last weeks show, i started thinking that this is the the most entertaining show in a while. Couldn't put my finger on it but you all seemed really switched on and more engaged than usual. The you just announced it, you were doing a video podcast.

Or was Cheapy just higher and Ship just more loaded than usual? LOL

Please continue this if possible, i feel the show really benefited from it. keep up the good work and thanks for my weekly laughs and video game chatter.

I haven't played a GI Joe game since the Commodore 64 A Real American Hero but I know there have been some. (I loved picking the character I wanted.) Has there been any since worth buying? It seems like a misaed opportunity. Imagine doing a Seige-like game or a Battlefield. Why do you think we haven't seen/ heard about a good GI Joe game?

I really liked Wombat recommending parts of an old episode (the Xbone E3). It could be a fun thing to mention old favorite bits as the anniversary approaches. Any other clip recommends?

Any CAG hosts playing, or plan to play, Minecraft Dungeons? It sounds like a Diablo-clone but with a Minecraft theme. Sounds perfect to play co-op with wife and kids. If anyone has it would love to hear a review.

With what we know now, do you see Microsoft regaining the console supremacy or will Sony hold on? Microsoft Xbox was too new to beat PS2, but the earlier release and cheaper price for XBox360 helped it to beat PS3. Sony learned from its mistake and PS4 came out cheaper to beat the XBox One. Right now they both appear similar to me. What do you think? Christmas will be here soon.

Is VR dead or just sleeping? From where I sit, adoption doesn't seem to be gaining steam? Would it help if each game came with a pack of barf bags?

I'd like to know Shipwreck's take on the Gose (Pronounced Goe-Zuh) style of beer. If you are not familiar with them they are sour beers brewed with sea salt. I love them but a lot of people think they are disgusting.

@Shipwreck

I think you've got a misconception of the recent Resident Evil titles.  While some of the recent games after RE6 have used the modernized gameplay that started in RE4, the games themselves have since went back to the classic location memory and item management style of gameplay.   You should try Resident Evil 7, Revelations 2, and Resident Evil 2 Remake. 

For a game you can play with your wife, Revelations 2 is this classic style of Resident Evil gameplay built heavily around co op multiplayer.  The second character for Claire and Barry are aimed more towards people who can play but aren't that good so they're more helper characters.

So . .  has the Lenovo prize pack shipping been delayed due to the pandemic, or have I been the victim of a porch pirate? I still have not received the prize pack. Large packages and non-USPS packages are typically left behind a wide porch pillar, but I suppose it's possible it may have been stolen.

Edit: Received this week!

So . . has the Lenovo prize pack shipping been delayed due to the pandemic, or have I been the victim of a porch pirate? I still have not received the prize pack. Large packages and non-USPS packages are typically left behind a wide porch pillar, but I suppose it's possible it may have been stolen.
lemme follow up on this for you!

After the XBOX showcase, I feel like XBOX made a weird case for me to GET a PS5.

I've been in the XBOX ecosystem for the last 2 generations. I wasn't even considering getting a PS5... until the XBOX Showcase. XBOX made it clear that all their new games are going to work on the XBOX I already own for the next few years. There's something about that that does not get me excited. It feels like upgrading my iphone, always kind of anticlimatic. What's my incentive to buy an XSX? Am I the only one feeling this way?

I read an interesting POV on the Xbox vs Sony battle, stating that the "console wars are over". TLDR - the two companies are going on separate monetization paths.

Xbox is prioritizing selling its services (ie Game Pass), while Sony is focused on selling its console devices (via more exclusive titles).

What's your take on that?

Full article here: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-23-the-console-war-is-over-opinion

I was just curious if Wombat was still playing Undermine and if Cheapy and/or Shipwreck has checked it out?  I looked to see how much time I've put into it and I was surprised to see it's over 30 hours!  Super addicting and fun.  One of my favorite things to do is using the potion that lets you gain health the next time you would lose it and then blowing myself up with a bomb!

Will Cheapy buy the new cobra kai game coming out in October? I'm a huge fan of the show actually based on his recommendation but even I don't think I could spend money on that. It's made by Game Mill who is also making the new GI Joe game.

Do you guys find that you play on the easy or normal modes just to experience the story? I have so much to play these days, I just cant be bothered to expend that much energy on a single game. Great show boys.

Do you guys find that you play on the easy or normal modes just to experience the story? I have so much to play these days, I just cant be bothered to expend that much energy on a single game. Great show boys.

Since you guys had a big interest in loot boxes and the "gambling/addiction/pay to win" nowadays, what are your thoughts on EA and Respawn's Apex Legends Skill Based Match Making (SBMM) controversy that's been a thing for a while?

Basically, they use algorithms to make the lobbies. They often pair you with lower ranked teammates vs higher ranked opponents so you lose most of the time. But then, when they think you deserve a win - you'll all of a sudden get in with better mates vs lower opponents. Just like the way gambling gets you addicted. Overall, it's not skill based in the sense that you face similar opponents - it's only skill based in the sense that it uses your skill to setup matches to make you addicted.

Here's an interesting video on it:

https://youtu.be/DyO-WL_L3K8

Cheapy, I know you enjoyed Apex for a while...the Apex community is ticked about this... Yet Respawn and EA ignore the complaints.

Thoughts?

OK Shipwreck, tell us how awesome or terrible GI Joe Operation Blackout is for the upcoming episode. If you say it's good, then I'll definitely buy it.
If you don't get a copy (either purchased or pretty much unasked for) then you need to be dishonourably stripped of your title as the show's GI Joe expert.

Gentlemen,

I know the CAGCast has done some good coverage on GameStop news in the past (Circle of Life lol).

What is your opinion on this?

https://youtu.be/wfBIEnYMepg

Long video, sorry, but interesting. This really favours Microsoft and lets GameStop in on digital revenue, but is it a good thing for consumers? I'm just afraid of how much GameStop employees will be forced to push the Xbox and its services on customers.

With the Avengers game being yet another grand slam success (/s) for the games as a service model, how many more tepid failures do you think we will have to suffer through before the games industry decides to stop making huge risky investments like that?

(Or are they actually more successful than it seems?)

Finally figured out my login for the site again after years of forgetting which email I was using. Just wanted to say thank you all for the weekly pick me up of gaming and general banter which provides an awesome step away from the crazy state of things. You all are awesome. Yes even Wombat. 👍🏻

Hey guys,

With the release of the new console generation, I'd love to hear each of your favorite previous console launches.  

Thanks again for the years of entertainment - sorry about your Amazon order Wombat.

MrBee

Canada

As someone who got bought a Sharp Aquos 42” with a PS3 back in 2008 to jump into HD gaming and has been content with this setup, is it finally time to get a new 4K TV with a PS5 purchase??

Can you all suggest some televisions or brands that are worth looking into?

One retro game I really want is Virtua Fighter, but it seems dead. What happened? Couldn't that be a cheap money grab for Sega? I would jump on a Switch collection.

If you thought the $5 gift card for reviewing your Amazon purchase was ridiculous, I just got one a $30 gift card for reviewing a USB docking station. Thankfully, no one called me for only giving it 4 stars.

Wombat could you talk a bit more about Fenyx Rising? I’m particularly curious about the comparisons to Breath of the Wild, since you didn’t care for that game, but you enjoy Fenyx. I also didn’t care for Breath of the Wild, and it is the main thing preventing me from getting Fenyx.

Edit: it just went to $40 at Amazon, and that outweighs any concerns I had , so I picked it up. Hoping it’s good - I like the team that made Odyssey.

Wombat, I am with you on Assassins Creed Valhalla, it is an excellent game!

What style do you use in the game, stealth or brute force? What weapon and abilities do you favor? Would love to hear your take on this, since the game is pretty flexible.

What games are you looking forward to in 2021? Besides Cyberpunk 1.5 (the bug free version).

Is anyone seeing benefits to jumping on those scalped Xbox X and PS5 yet? I am not seeing anything to make me upgrade yet. What do you think?

Hey guys, how fitting is it that we end the year from hell with CAGcast #666? Anyway here's to better times in 2021 as we hurdle towards the CAGcast's sweet 16th birthday this spring!

With how much Slay the Spire was enjoyed by certain CAGCast hosts, is Monster Train a game that has scratched the same itch? It's on GamePass so they "ALREADY PAID FOR IT!" I find it a fun take on the card battler genre with a bit of a SnowPiercer twist. In fact, it actually has a train running through an icy Hell trying to stay warm enough to continue its journey.  It really should have a "no-this-is-NOT-your-dentist's-son-with-a-beard" character as DLC.

Cheapy, with only 3 of you, how do you handle the 4th person serving of Hello Fresh? We are a 4-person family but often run into a scenario where one of us is not home for dinner. With both parents counting calories, we try not to just absorb that 4th serving split across 3. Just curious how you guys handle it.

Long time listener, first time caller. I’ve really enjoyed the entertainment of the show from you guys through the years and through our now 3 years of Hello Fresh thanks to you guys. Keep up the great stuff!

Hi.

I wanted to say I like this podcast. Been really helpful for me.

Thank you!

I actually wrote long twitter-mail for you last week, about how important this podcast and few others have been for me,

but it got deleted somehow. Anyway, thank you!

-AM

All of these games are currently on sale, which will look best on my new Series X: Borderlands 3, Yakuza 7 or Immortals Fenyx Rising??

First off I want to say that I really enjoy the podcast. It's the only (tangentially) video game podcast I listen to. That being said, I was a little surprised by your reaction to the firing of Gina Carano. I had pegged wombat and cheapy as more pro labor type liberals. Do none of you have any problems at all with a giant company firing an employee for expressing, to my way of thinking, stupid opinions? To use another over played analogy, this situation feels a little like the red scare to me.

bread's done
Back