CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Cheapy D and Wombat, if you guys were some straight up gangstaz (or rappers) what would you pick to be your name?

To CheapyD -

I remember you mentioning that you were a history major in college. I, too, am majoring in history, and would like to know a few things.

1) Why is it that you seem to know or exhibit very little knowledge about history in general? Particularly when Wombat owned you regarding the racial significance of the Confederate flag. I had another example, but it escapes me at the moment. That was embarassing for all those who study history :)

2) What particular era of history did you concentrate on? If it was ancient civilizations, maybe the confederate flag bit can be forgiven (probably not, though, since that's some grade school shit right there).

Thanks! I should be coming to Tokyo to visit next year, hopefully we can meet up. As someone who is almost 30 (just turned 29), I feel your pain at getting older. Happy Birthday! I will most certainly bring my love knife to Japan.

Hey Cheapy, how often do you get solicited for game advice from journalists and the media in general now that your site is much more widely known?

Wombat this question is for you i was wondering why you love rpg s and will play oblivion for 100's of hours yet didnt keep playing worl of warcraft?You like the big world in oblivion and wow's world is 25x bigger

With all these games you've been getting to give away as prizes why dont we play for them i mean we could all get togther over psn or xbl and have a tournament for the games . it would make it a little more intresting than just chance

I'm a brazilian fan of your show and I recently listened to an episode where CheapyD refers to "favela" as a music style. Actually this word is the portuguese word for "slum", where very poor people live in my country. There are music styles that ar origineted from these slums (the brazilian version of funk/black music), that maybe is what Cheay was referring to.

As to my questions:

1- I'd like to buy a 360 but I agree that it's not a good time for that. There will be a good way to known for sure if the new smaller chips will be installed in my console when I buy it? After the new ships how long would you wait to see if these chips are u to the task?
2- There is anyway I may known abou any other cagfans in my country?

Best wishes for you and Wombat

Cheapy and Wombat,

What is your take on the next generation DVD format battle? I know you both have BluRay players(PS3s), do either of you have the HD DVD add on for the 360? Which do you think is better?

Also do you think we will see any type of outcome on this format war anytime soon? The more I think about it the more I think that we might not have any type of resolution until the 2008 holiday season, and maybe not even then. How do you think HD vs. BD has impacted the next gen wars and how do you think it will impact it in the future.

Cheapy

When you've got major nelson drunk and watching fat guys feel each other up, could you ask him if anything is being done about having to be signed in to xbox live to play live arcade games on refurbished 360s that are replacing the RROD boxes? My refurb is on it's way from texas and I figure most of their current install base will be seeing this problem in the future so that kind of leaves millions of gamer in a bind. I never thought it would be a problem but bomberman live just begs to be brought on a snowboarding trip.

Also! Try to convince him to get Typing of the dead on XBLA!

Sup you Cheap Ass Cheapsters!

Have either of you ever been anticipating a game's release to the point where scores in the 0-3 range would NOT stop your purchasing? What game(s)?

Cheapy, while watching G4tv late last night I saw on "The Feed" that Neo Geo is working on a new gaming chip for future arcade gaming machines & possibly a next gen console.

I was just wondering if you had heard about this and if you have any additional info?

I've been around for a while, but not listening to the CAGcast until recently -- what do you guys use to record the show? I'm looking into getting into doing a podcast myself, and I follow some podcasts which use Skype.

Do you think we'll ever see really rare and expensive games released on any of the virtual consoles (XBLA/Wii/etc).

Perfect example would be something like Panzer Dragoon Saga. Do you think Sega would rather not upset the people that bought this second hand for a lot of money?

Thanks,
vpr

So i recently started dating this girl and I really like her. It turns out her Birthday is on September 25th. I am not sure what to do. I know I am going to need to spend time with her, but HALO 3. Cheapy Wombat, what would you guys do?

Cheapy and Wombat,

I know you both play online over XBL often, do you ususally play with just friends or do you play alot in random matchmaking games? If so, do you think the microsoft Feedback system is working and worth using or is it a waste of time?

For me it seems like it is pretty similar to when I used to play Halo 2 over XBL. I can only imagine what it will be like with Halo 3 coming out...

Should we prepare for the same epithets that include racial slurs and homophobic remarks or will things imporve?

[quote name='NateWhs152']So i recently started dating this girl and I really like her. It turns out her Birthday is on September 25th. I am not sure what to do. I know I am going to need to spend time with her, but HALO 3. Cheapy Wombat, what would you guys do?[/QUOTE]

Oh cmon, seriously? You're shallow even considering the thought. Just spend the whole day with her and play all day on the 26th? Halo is still going to be there if you neglect it, however if you neglect her, she won't be there.

Hey guys... this one is for Cheapy... I see that you have set up several affiliates for CAG, but you only ever seem to talk about Amazon and PlayAsia (besides when Goozex or Lion Games or whoever is paying for adspace). I was just wondering how your other affiliate links were working out. I had to buy a part for my PC and I decided to use your NewEgg link in hopes that you would get a couple bucks from my purchase. Is it enough to help? Are CAGs buying enough stuff via your other affiliates to make them... interesting? Just curious!

I'm with twen... you can Halo anytime... alone... in the dark. However, getting to spend some time with your lady friend... alone... in the dark, will probably provide many more memorable moments...

[quote name='callmesteam']I'm with twen... you can Halo anytime... alone... in the dark. However, getting to spend some time with your lady friend... alone... in the dark, will probably provide many more memorable moments...[/QUOTE]

Thanks, your avatar owns btw. Beat'em & Eat'em.. I consider myself a gamer since I was the age of 3 (I'm 21), but I have my priorities. Sadly I don't know which one will come around first. The right girl or Duke Nukem Forever.

In response to:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/mainstream-media/sports-columnist-says-video-games-desensitize-us-to-sports-violence-298982.php

(Note, I actually like football, I just wrote this using the same snotty attitude towards his interest as he shows towards ours...)

Bob:

In regards to your column "Video-game generation may be desensitized
to NFL injuries", you make a lot of good points about how people think
of athletes as just cogs in an entertainment machine.

I don't think bemoaning the effect of video games will help since they
are protected by free speech. What we need to get rid of are sports
and sports journalists. This way perhaps newspapers can focus on
news, schools can focus on education, doctors can focus on non-sports
related injuries and diseases, and fans can focus on more serious
endeavors such as local politics.

To quote your article, "This week, more than many, we're reminded that
in real-time, real-life football, the violence and its consequences
are all too real." Maybe that's why we need to take a good long look
at whether or not football is good for society.

Shana Tova Wombat (and, sort of, Cheapy)!

Long time listener (well, at least a few months), first time cagbagger (that sounds dirty), and i must first congratualted the both of you for your awesome jewiosity. Because im such an observant man of the hebreic persuasion, I didn't realize it was our people's new year until I listened to the cagcast this morning on my way to school, so thank you for allowing me to realize it until after the day had come and gone. Also, I have a few questions for wombat concerning some of the more, uh, lets just say, negative feedback he recieved concerning the possible advertisment that has been in the work for the past few weeks (you know, the one that, as lenny bruce said is one of the goyish branches of the military. Look it up, i thought it was amusing). What kind of comments did you get (you dirty little media grabbing communist)? I realize this might be a sensitive subject to speak about on the cagcast, but were there any really extreme ones? Well, hope to hear from you soon,

Udabenshen (its pronounced you-duh-ben-shin)

Since she's breaking her back for us this week, I was thinking of Cheapy's mom... so my question is...

Does she game? I know you had her on the Wii, but does she do DS or 360 or whatever? Sudoku? Still has your 2600 plugged in for some late night rounds of QBert? If I remember right (from their visit) your dad DOES NOT game.

What's their story?

AND! is Cheapy and only child? do his siblings game? i think i recall Wombat having siblings... are they gamers? were you guys picked on for being cheap bastards AND video game dorks as kids?

Well my question for Wombat and Cheapy D:
If some company would pay MORE than a 80$ a show for commercials in your CAGcast yould you accept it?[lets say 150$ for show,which would include 8second commerial at start of show,2 15 second commericlas in middle of show,and one 15 second commerical at end of show]
if not,How much would they have to pay?will GACcast stay community only and not get sold out?

Cheapy- What is the most shocking thing about Japan that you might see everyday that you would never see in America? Wombat- Your awesome i dont care what the wombat haters say.

:newbie: i thought that this would be an appropriate time to use this smiley because its my first post.

To CheapyD

How did those whole, Cheap Ass Gamer thing start? Did you just wake up one morning and said, "I think i'm going to help people find cheap deals on games."?

Firstly, I just wanted to say that you really ought to try Chicken Hearts. They taste just like the fatty part of bacon, and are really good.

Secondly, I was wondering how Japan and New York compare to LA as far as the general friendliness of people. I live out near LA, and they say people are a lot less friendly in California than in New York. I'd imaging people in Japan are pretty quiet and stick to themselves.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat. I love the show and have been listening since close to the beginning. I have a question for Cheapy.
A while ago you reviewed the DS stand accessory. You were using it to practice your Kanji.
I went to Play Asia and found a DS title called "Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten." Is this the title that you use? Is it any good? I live in Manhattan and have been studying Japanese in school for 2 years in the hopes of finding work in Japan after school.
After the grammer basics, Kanji is the biggest obstacle when learning Japanese. Is this DS title helpful?
Is it just a dictionary or can it quiz you or provide flash card studying?

Thanks,

Roy (Madhattan)
NYC

Hey cheapy, a while ago around episode 45 and 50, you had an idea for what Microsoft should do with the Xbox Live Marketplace. You felt that Microsoft should make it so that you can go to Xbox.com, browse all the downloads, and queue up all the ones you wanted. Then, when you turn on your Xbox 360, it simply downloads them all.

I don't know if you remember saying this, but as you probably know, this is exactly what they are doing for Halo 3. You go to bungie.net, queue up any downloads you want, and as soon as you start up halo 3 on your Xbox 360, it downloads them all.

Do you think by any chance that bungie took this idea from you? They are litterly doing the exact thing that you said, and in my opinion it is a pretty unique idea.

Anyway, thanks for the podcast.
Anyway

Sony appears to be looking at a rough holiday season. Two of their big exclusives are not doing as well as expected (Lair & Heavenly Sword). The buzz surrounding Rachet & Clank and Uncharted does not even approach the hype surrounding Mass Effect and Bioshock.

What advice would you guys give to Sony for the coming year to make the PS3 king of the console hill? Also, how much focus would you tell them to put into securing exclusives?

I'm new to the CAGCast, so I don't know if this has already been touched on, but I have two questions:

1. What's your (CheapyD & Wombat) outlook on Digital Distribution? On one hand it'd be nice to see it wipe Gamestop of the face of the Earth, but in essence it could wipe out CAG as well.

2. What's your thoughts on games like Kwari (Money-FPS), where real money is used not as endgame prizes, but as the rewards/punishments for gamer skill.

~HotShotX

Cheapy-
A few CAGCasts ago you mentioned you were working on getting the site redesigned. I was wondering if you had any updates because the site is in need of a clean up (no offense!)
-Chris G.

Hey Cheapy and wombat! Can you guys recommend a third party 360 controller with a d-pad that actually works? I find myself wanting to throw my microsoft controller through the t.v. when trying to play live arcade games using its horrible horrible d-pad.
p.s. thanks for the bracelet.

Hey now!
Is Guitar Hero popular in Japan? I know people all over the world love our music. Just wondered if the language barrier was a huge problem. But, colors are colors. Notes are notes...

Hey Cheapy,

Do you think its gonna be hard for your child to grow up in a home where two langauges are spoken? Well just wondering i think i will be wierd for the baby

Better bursh up on your japanese otherwise you child will never be able to speak to you.

[quote name='jedi0077']Hey now!
Is Guitar Hero popular in Japan? I know people all over the world love our music. Just wondered if the language barrier was a huge problem. But, colors are colors. Notes are notes...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised. Us Americans love the japanese music games, so I wouldn't entirely doubt that fact. It may not be as popular as their own games of course, but yeah...

Cheapy,
I posted this before, but I never heard you answer it on the podcast, so I figured I would give it one more shot.

What has been the general perception of the industry, developers and publishers and also online or B&M retailers, towards cheapassgamer (besides the obvious CC ordeal)? Do they hate us for waiting to buy their games cheap, or love us for buying more games than the average gamer?

Hey Cheapy,I got a Wii a while back but I haven't gotten any games because I dont want to waste a whole bunch of batteries. Do you or Wombat use a rechargeable battery pack for the Wiimote? If so would you recommend it?

Hey Cheapy,

I don't know how much TV you watch, but are there HD broadcasts available in Japan? And if there are, is it just Japanese programs or do they also show American TV shows or sports in HD? Also, do you watch any of this HD content?

Cheapy and Wombat, do you feel Warhawk is doomed without downloadable content?
I also feel that ads are good in podcasts when they are spoken by the hosts and nicely integrated, not time bumpers. Bravo to Cheapy for not always selling out and taking everyone into consideration.

Hey guys, long time CAG and long time listener, keep up the great work.
Less than a year after buying it, my 360 has red ringed on me. I did the Cheapy D approved towel trick, but that extended its life by only a day. My dilemma is this: If I buy a new 360 now, it's still not going to have the cooler running 65 nanometer chips and I could end up with another red ringing 360 in 6 months. On the other hand, if I just send my broken one into Microsoft to be fixed, there's a good chance I won't have it back in time for Halo 3, and that would be heart breaking, as I am extremly pumped to play that game.
I haven't decided what to do yet. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. the "There You Go (Everydoby Drink Remix)" is Grammy material. You guys should go on tour.

Cheapy I just read on kotaku that Major Nelson lost his passport and won't be able to get to TGS. I know you were looking foward to taking him to the sumo match soooo who are you taking (did you take) in his place? I hope you have a good time either way.

wombat

wifi is not free at starbucks, in seattle anyway. and i have to assume that that goes for the rest of the nation. you must have a T Mobil account. you'll just have to find your wifi elsewhere.

buttle

Hey guys. Love the show, been listening since about 84 or 85 and I enjoy it every week while driving. Quick question for you that I would really like to know.

The sound files you play at the end of every cast with the old video game commercials I think are so awesome. I was wondering where you access these and if you could point me in the right direction to download them in the future.

Thanks much, and keep up the good work :).

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

As anyone can see Wombat has a love for comic books so I have a couple questions for you. When did you start reading comic books and which ones? How many comic books do you have? And would you ever consider hosting a podcast about comic books?

bread's done
Back