CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey guys another question for you this week.
Now that its safe to say that the economy is in a downhill motion, what do you think the outcome of sony will be. Lately i have been reading alot about how much finacial trouble sony is in, and thats not just because of the ps3. Take a walk past any of my local sony stores and you will notice (like most shops) they are giving away products. This can't be a good sign.
Now compare it to the other to rivals. Microsoft has pretty much made the xbox 360 cost effective for them and will always have windows to back them up, and nintendo is souly and gaming company and all its energy and money is focused on that.
Do you not feel that sony should start to pull there finger out and realise what they are doing to there NAME! Dont get me wrong i love sony and think there products are amazing. But its just the product that plays games that is having the most trouble. I just begin to feel that another cheaper/family friendly SKU will make an apperacne one day, so sony can start to make some money on it.
Thanks again, great show.

Cheapy and Wombat-

How do you think 2008 compared to 2007 in terms of games? Which console do you think was the "winner" of the year?

Hey Cheapy what kind of internet options do they have in Japan?

How expensive are the plans?

How Fast?

What do you have?

Any of these are fine :] Keep up the great work Wombat and CheapySEXYd

Hey guys...

We've had every possible combination of CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck for these podcasts. How 'bout one with just Cheapy and Mrs. Shipwreck? She certainly seems to have a lot of catching up to do.

Who knows, maybe it'll end up even more hilariously awkward than the "Forecast" episodes.

Dear CheapyD and Wombat,

I was recently listening to Cagcast #124: Karmic Vomit, and i believe in that episode, Wombat mentioned that someone had put in the N word in animal crossing for the DS and the game had pronounced it properly, and recently i was on a website and it had a link to gamespot UK news, that Wii Fit had called a 10 year old "fat". If this is true do you believe the Nintendo franchise will lose supporters since the nintendo is some what of a child's gaming company??

G'day Cheapy and Wombat,
just a little unrelated video game question to Cheapy.
Do you still hear much about the abductions of Japanese people by North Korea in the late 70s and early 80's? I just saw a documentary on it and it was very sad, but also very interesting.

Cheers,
Hope ya both had a good chrissy and have a great new year!

CheapyD what the hell?? I posted weeks ago about fallout 3 being on sale at amazon with all different skus (mainly the console collectors editions for 60.) No one even looked. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207749. Since then i have been constantly updating it. Then Master Shake post the DotD and the 360 version was on sale for 50 with other skus on sale and what do you do? You put it on the fucking front page and everyone knows about it. I clearly had a well done post in that thread posting all the different skus and everything. My question is why was my thread so ignored? Wombat.....you still rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to your cagcast #144, I hear the constant bashing of Little Big Planet. As a single player, I really don't enjoy the game and I hear what you say 100%. But as a parent of a 7 and 5 year old. They constantly play the game since day 1 of release and after a few days of new Christmas games they are back online playing Little big planet levels. The kids play together and really enjoy the game. So I think the creating is made for creative type kids to show off and practice level creation(maybe they are looking for the next great level creator?) I just think the game is really fun for the kids and it's nice to play 4 players as well. We've tried online but without mics for most online players the game doesn't work.

Happy New Year to all.

I was excited before LBP came out, but once I had it I barely played it. I love the idea of user created content and this game is pretty fricking innovative.
I just downloading the Metal Gear Solid level pack and it is actually pretty fun! It has got me interested in the game again! I'd suggest dropping the 6 bucks and giving it a try.

1. Gametrailers awarded the Playstation 3 with best Software lineup of 2008, citing that it got good 3rd party games that were on par w/ the 360 versions, and a healthy mix of "good" exclusives, from Resistance, LBP, and MGS4. - HOw do you and Wombat feel about this award going to PS3... was it the right choice? In terms of software, was 2008 the year of the PS3?

Is it possible for Killzone 2 to be the PS3's Halo? If you've played it, will it be good enough for people to use in tournaments, and will the online community embrace the game all throughout 2009?

Is it possible that the base price of new games will fall from 59.99 back to 49.99?

Will the market somehow convince devs to complete smllar projects on PSN/XBLA? DO you think that we'll see more games of the past making a comeback as downloadable software?

When Sony puts out their financial reports regarding the sales of video games; the report tends to always show low sales, low profit, they're losing money. Is it possible that some of that lost profit is being recouped in another area - specifically, in the sales of Blu Ray players and Software? [Since PS3 Blu Ray win out over HD DVD there should be ncreased profits in other Sony Divisions.]

Cheapy you got any CAG specific deals for us, from Amazon? They get a lot of good business from you...maybe you can get Amazon to give CAG a little discount here or there sometime during the year?

end of questions.

Hey Cheapyd and Wombat did you ever get to play the free xbox live game called Doritos Dash Of Destruction. If so what do you make of company's producing and sponsoring games for advertisement. Also as so many people downloaded it they now have basically have an ad on lots of people gamer cards.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

Cheapy, do you get some appreciation for developers who can get their games out on time or sympathy for those that have to delay them with the new game collection system being three months past due?

Cheapy and wombat,
I happened to be trudging through the snow at Auschwitz this afternoon and on the way back to town i really needed something light to listen to. I ended up listening to the part of the show where you two joked about jews having horns. really not what i needed to hear at that point :(

granted both of you guys are jewish and i am not and the context of me hearing it was different from the one where you said it, but do you ever feel uncomfortable saying some of that stuff?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat; here's a bit of an odd question: If one were to poke Wombat in the stomach, does he go "Hoo-Hoo!" like Poppin' Fresh? (if so, please demonstrate) He seems like the type of person who would.
(btw, that is apparently how you spell "Hoo-Hoo!"; I wikipedia'd that shit)

Cheapy and Wombat,

How do you guys feel about the possible shrinking or buy-outs of video game sites such as what just happened with 1Up and EGM? Will this trend continue with other websites as well? If so, which major game website do you think might be next?

In addition, do you think it will be easy for the staff of these websites to move and regroup elsewhere or are their days of working in the game industry likely over?

fuck UGO right in ear. Screw those stupid evil bastards in the ass. The best videogame website destroyed by dumb UGO. And to top it off they get rid of the Wombat as well. Bah....

Whoops forgot my question. What do you think of this Wombat and Cheapy?

So CheapyD, if the BIG ASS earthquake hits japan, will you be ready? If your house is destroyed; would you move to New York or try to find a new place in Japan?

Cheapy and Wombat,

I know Wombat said you discussed about the UGO thing in the next podcast but you should get friend of the show Nick Suttner on for the next podcast.

Hey C&W,

How do you guys feel about the recent 1UP Genocide?

I know Wombat just got released from UGO, so I hope he is able to speak freely about that company.

No smart-ass comments Cheapy, I think a lot of really loved 1UP.

Thanks

Hey Cheapy 'n Wombat,

I'm a little curious as to how the beta will be handled for CAG 2.0 involving people who had donated to the Child's Play Charity. The way I see it there is or was no way to tie your CAG account to your donation without leaving a note with the donation or your email was attached to your CAG account. The reason I bring this up is because I do not use PayPal but my wife does, so My wife and I just used her PayPal account to make the donation(which is tied to her email not mine).

I myself am not terribly concerned about this, as the donations were for a great cause. However, others may be in the same boat as myself, should I
A.)change my email address to my wife's email in CAG
or
B.) Just email or PM you(Cheapy), so you can figure it out
I'm definitely stoked about the new additions to CAG and if I could get an early jump that would be friggin' awesome.

I just heard that Wii Sports has outsold the original Super Mario Bros. This is basically the beginning and end of the hardcore gamer. With casual games being orders of magnitude more profitable and easier to make than hardcore games, the times they are a-changing. What do you guys see the gaming landscape of the future looking like?

I think a major symptom of these changes is already expressing itself in the fact that cheapy and wombat combined had less than 3 wii games they were interested in this year.

Do you guys think Sony and Microsoft will focus on casual games in the future as well?

Wombat your thoughts on Terrorist Hunt were spot on,any game
that necessitates team-work is a great time.BTW Wombat
did you get the I like the sound it makes achievement?

Cheapy & Wombat, have either of you given a thought as to how you plan on introducing/monitoring your kids video game playing? I have two young boys (5 and 2) and am debating when I should let them start playing video games and what and how much of it they should do. Most studies I've seen say parents should be more concerned with quanity of tv/video game time as opposed to quality. Do you guys plan on holding video games back from your kids till a certain age and when/if they start playing do you plan on controlling what and how much they play? Just asking as one parent to another.

Hey Cheapy,
Just kinda being courious but does Tai play any games? Or does he perfer watching a specific game? Just courious Cag#36.:D

So Wombat and Cheapy how come you guys don't really use your twitter accounts more besides for some lame ass advertising?

OK, now that Nick (rocksolidaudio) is out of a job, why don't you guys see if you can get him on the next CAGCast and ask him about the whole situation and the newly formed "Rebel FM" podcast?

With Episode 145 (and with pretty much every episode), we are once again reminded of CheapyD's apparent boner for the XBox 360.

Give it a rest, fanboys. If CheapyD really has such a stiffy for the 360, I'm sure he'd have given mention to the growing number of "CAG Function" 360 threads on the forums.

But guess what? I've yet to hear a shout out to the CAG Grifball Teams. With Cheap Ass Gamer going into its 3rd season, ranked 18th overall in the league (out of 483 teams), currently 6-0 in its division this season. Or how about the newly formed Cheap Ass Giraffes, holding a respectable 3-1 record in their division.

There's yet to be a mention of the CAG 360 Game Lending Circle, a program amongst CAG forum members to lend and borrow 360 games from other CAGs, potentially saving them $50-60 per game! Times are tough, spare cash is hard to come by, and not everyone can trade away enough games for a new copy of Fallout 3, or even find someone willing to do so. Despite this, the GLC helps fellow CAGs partner up and play games they otherwise would not have access to. The generosity of the forums at its finest (second only to the CAG Child's Play effort and the Games for Soldiers drive).

Or how about SynGamer's thread about 360 Game Install Sizes/Performances Listing. His thread on the effectiveness on installing a 360 game to the system hard drive has gotten notices on Kotaku and a few other blogs, in addition to being stickied on a few gaming forums, including CAG. Yet, not a single CAGCast mention.

There's a lot going on in the CAG 360 forum, events and programs created by CAGs for CAGs. From numerous gaming groups to charity and information groups, the forum is constantly busy and gaining notoriety throughout the interwebs, all of it right under CheapyD's nose. I'm sure if he was the big fanboy you claim him to be, these programs and many more would be getting plugged each week on the CAGCast.

But guess what? They've gotten none. Which ironically enough is the same amount that the PS3 and Wii gets.

~HotShotX

Hello CheapyD & Wombat,

I have a couple of questions and here they are

CheapyD: Listening one of the older cagcast podcasts's (this one was when gta 4 came out) you and Wombat were having a friendly competiton on who would get further in gta 4 and by the sounds of it you were really addicted to that game, and all of a sudden the game became the runner up for most dissapointing game of the year. Did you give it that title after Saints Row 2 came out or were you planning on giving that title to gta 4 all along?

CheapyD: What do you prefer more, play asia or amazon??

Wombat:After UGO had fired (i guess) you, are you going to try and work for another website that will give u around 1.50$ per post?

Wombat: Do you find it hard to get some time to play video games now that Sabrina is in your life?

CheapyD & Wombat: I was recently listening to cagcast #126(i believe) and Wombat had mentioned that on the ds, animal corssing(once again, i believe) had a feature in which u can type in something and the game had repeated what you had typed in and someone had put the n word and it reapeted the N word. And recently i was on a website and on top of this website it had a link to gamespot uk and it had a article in which nintendo Wii had called a girl fat. I am not sure if this is true or not but if it is true do you two believe nintendo will not have a bright future if the games keep on making these mistakes???

[quote name='Pavi Gill']Hello CheapyD & Wombat,

I have a couple of questions and here they are

CheapyD: Listening one of the older cagcast podcasts's (this one was when gta 4 came out) you and Wombat were having a friendly competiton on who would get further in gta 4 aqnd by the sounds of it you were really addicterd to that game, and all of a sudden you give the most upsetting game of the year. Did you give it that title after Saints Row 2 came out or were you planning on giving that title to gta 4 all along?

CheapyD: What do you prefer more, play asian or amazon??

Wombat:After UGO had fired (i guess) you, are you going to try and work for another website that will give u around 1.50$ per post?

Wombat: Do you find it hard to get some time to play video games now that Sabrina is in your life?

CheapyD & Wombat: I was recently listening to cagcast #126(i believe) and Wombat had mentioned that on the ds, animal corssing(once again, i believe) had a feature in which u can type in something and the game had repeated what you had typed in and someone had put the n word and it reapeted the N word. And recently i was on a website and on top of this website it had a link to gamespot uk and it had a article in which nintendo Wii had called a girl fat. I am not sure if this is true or not but if it is true do you two believe nintendo will not have a bright future if the games keep on making these mistakes???[/QUOTE]

It's Play-Asia...

Looking at games (graphically) on a generational basis for the 360 and PS3, which console do you guys feel has accomplished more? Can Killzone 2 really be the best console FPS? and if so will consumers care?

Hey Cheapy,
Shipwreck isn't joking. Engineers love spreadsheets like alcoholics love beer. You simply can't have one without the other. I honestly have no idea how people did my job (aero propulsion engineer) before the existence of Excel. I not only think in spreadsheets, I've *dreamt* in spreadsheets.
Cheers now,
Jonman

Why have you guys not talked about the LBP MGS level pack? I know you guys are down on LBP but if you play this level pack you will be impressed. Also, you guys ALWAYS talk about the weekly games updates coming out for xbox live but hardly ever talk about the PSN titles.You have missed a very good PSN exclusive title that is Crash Commandos!

i think you guys should do a "knowing is half the battle"-style segment. here's my recommendation for the first piece of helpful information for the CAG community:

The dollar sign goes before the dollar amount. Shocking! Despite the fact that we read the dollar amount with the word "dollars" at the end, the symbol actually precedes the numbers. Perhaps some CAGs have been so busy just plain enjoying those cheapassgames that they never took the time to notice the proper format for displaying American currency amounts. (employ "now you know" voice) ... and that's why the CAGcast is here. FAH FAH FOOEY!

I know you are going to talk about this next show,
but do you feel that the Fable II DLC was worth it (Price wise)? It was about 30 minuets of game play for some people, and due to glitches, it erased both of my charters, one being beaten and the other about half way threw :(.

Wombat, do you hate the CAGbag section? You have been discouraging Cheapy from doing the CAGbag segment lately and it's my fave part of the show. C'mon dude. ;_;

Btw, are you gonna buy the Fallout 3 DLC?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, have you guys seen Pineapple Express? If so, what did you think? Also, what is your guys' movie of 2008?

Pineapple comes at a close second behind Step Brothers for my Comedy of 2008.

Now that my bathroom reading material has been axed, EGM, I need to get a new game suscription so I have somthing to read while on the can. Yeah yeah print media is dying but that's always a place I am up for some reading. Any sugestions for other good game mags? I know of Game Informer and Play but I don't know if any are worth subscriping to. Any input?

Hey Cheapy,
Shipwreck isn't joking. Engineers love spreadsheets like alcoholics love beer. You simply can't have one without the other. I honestly have no idea how people did my job (aero propulsion engineer) before the existence of Excel. I not only think in spreadsheets, I've *dreamt* in spreadsheets.
Cheers now,
Jonman

So true. When Shipwreck posted the "visual best of 2008" blog, it was very obvious that he was an engineer.
Even if I didn't already know he was an engineer from CAGForeplay, his passion for organizing data would have been a dead give away.

Shipwreck, you rock.

Cheapy you always talk about games that would be good to take ecstasy and play. have you ever done that? ive tried it with king kong on the 360 and i could not focus on the game.

tell me about your experiences!

talk about the ending in the dark knight movie wombat! i want to hear your toughts!

Cheapy, you previously mentioned being underwhelmed with your DSi and considered getting rid of it. Now that there's some DSiWare out , have you changed your mind, or did you already pull the trigger and get rid of it? As for Wombat, with a rumored April release and $179 price tag, are you going to get one, play "wait and see", or just ignore it altogether.

Viva La Wombat!

-Hbomb

Wombat, I was listening to an earlier podcast (EP. 51) that was recorded right when Microsoft announced the movie downloads for the Xbox. You were very opposed to the idea, and declared "I WANT MY GAMING CONSOLE TO PLAY GAMES!" Now, you've recently stated that you've cancelled your cable, and stream Netflix right to your gaming console. What changed your mind in that timeframe, and why are you okay with watching movies on it now?

With the loss of so many qualified people in the UGO/1UP acquisition, do you think that many of the remaining people left at 1UP will leave to pursue other things (perhaps with their laid off co-workers) much like Brad Shoemaker, Ryan Davis, Vinny Caravella, and Alex Navarro did when Jeff Gerstmann was fired from GameSpot?

Keep up the good work, guys. And Wombat, I hope you get employed soon.

Cheapy:

Are you FriskyTanuki? If not, can you please admit your man-crush and stop pimping his questions every episode? I love the show and I have nothing against F.T., but my god between your weekly pimping of F.T.'s questions and the newfound need to promote Nick Suttner, the CAGcast has turned into an infomercial for the same people (or their questions) every episode. You might as well just replace Wombat with the "Magic Puddy" guy and start promoting products every week.

Relatedly, Suttner seems like a nice enough guy, but if he doesn't have the courage/integrity to call Shane Bettenhausen's apparent sony crush like the whole world sees it, what faith can I have in his ability to review anything. Thanks Cheapy, WOMBAT RULES - and yes, I did intentionally write that in hopes that Wombat would make you answer these questions in the CAGcast .

bread's done
Back