CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey Cheapy,

Are you going to be trying out these new Street Fighter IV themed chinese entrees?

chunlifoodyv2.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5134129/what-does-chun+li-food-taste-like

Sweet and salty mustard chicken stir-fry, apparently. She's just one of the Street Fighter IV-themed Chinese entrees for characters like Sakura, Dhalsim, and Rufus.

While the Sakura themed meal is sweet and salty chicken and potatoes, Dhalsim is all about the sweat-inducing spicy noodles. The Rufus meal is made from three types of meat (beef, pork and chicken) in a black sesame sauce.

Entrees range from ¥880 to ¥1,380 and are available at these fine eateries from February 12 to February 28: Xin-Li and 10,000 Butaki.

Cheapy/Wombat,

As evidenced by the popularity of the Wii and DS, and recently of Microsoft attempting to get a piece of the market, the casual game genre is booming. Obviously, by the definition of casual games, not much in the way of in depth reviewing or discussion nor previewing is needed. This of course negates a lot of reason for places like IGN or GameTrailers to exist. Sure, there will always be the "hardcore" games like your Halos or Killzones, but as the game industry trends more and more to the casual each day, do you feel the value and demand for game enthusiast press as a whole is being compromised or diminishing? Could this be a part of the reason why EGM/1up collapsed?

Cheapy and Wombat,

In the past few recent days it has been mentioned that Wii Sports is now the number one selling video game of all time (40.24 million sold). Do you believe that this should count since it was bundled with the Wii (except in Japan and Korea)? I know the same argument can be made about Mario Brothers for the Nintendo as well, your thoughts?

I am gonna start my comment with this:
DAMN YOU CHEAPY AND WOMBAT!

while screwing around with my iPhone one day, I noticed that it had every single episode of the CAGcast on there, and I started listening to the older episodes for shits and giggles, and dammit, im hooked. I listen to it practically all day on my exam break.

It is hilarious listening to you two talking about the new "Nintendo Revolution" and how awesome Perfect Dark and Call of Duty 2 are.

So yeah, thank you for the hundreds of hours of hilarious comments and stories, and damn you apple for making it all available >.<

I am on about episode 20 now and I have loved every minute of it :lol:

PS. I love you Wombat

Hi Cheapy and Wombat,

I was wondering if you could answer my question. Given that the increased casual market on the Wii and DS and also iPhone is getting bigger all the time, do you think that we will have to change the way we perceive and play games in the future?

I ask because both of you said you have not played your wii's in a while and I also find it hard to get games I want to play on my DS.

I ALWAYS find games I want to play on my Xbox 360, but I fear that in the coming years I maybe forced to play the more casual stuff.

I am a great fan of the show, keep it up ;)

Hey Cheapy,

I am studying video production at college in the UK and I am currently writing a short film and I thought you'd like to know i've named the main character David Abrams. I wanted to ask for your permission, if I ever get the chance to actually film this for real, and make money i'll be sure to give you 0.1% of the profit. :D

Thanks guys keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cheapy,
After being on the edge of buying Burnout Paradise, I played it at a friend's house and really liked it, and wanted to buy it. Criterion sounds like an awesome developer putting out so much downloadable content at no cost, and I sincerely wanted to support them for that, and because Paradise did not sell too well. I went to GameStop because they are the most convenient retailer, despite my disgust for the way they operate I tell the guy behind the counter I want Burnout Paradise, he says "Oh, the only one we have left is a display copy." He walks over to the display counter with all the 360 games, pulls out the case for Burnout Paradise. Then he gets out a little paper disc holder with the game disc in it with a sticker that says new. He inserts the manual and then puts a ziploc like sticky bag over the package and greets me to the door. He said it was new and being the sucker I was, I believed him. I come home and open it up, and the disc has scuffs on it. Not unplayable scuffs, but still scuffs.
The primary incentive was to buy an awesome game, but I really bought the game new because I wanted to support Criterion. Now I feel as if I have just thrown money to the GameStop monopoly and just helped them continue to be the middle man. The sticky bag they initially put the game in is wrecked, and I don't think the employees working there will believe me if I try to return it just so I can go to Best Buy and get a truly sealed game and satisfy my supporting Criterion. What should I do?

This one is for Wombat.

What is your view on the recently announced Killzone 2 PS3 Bundle? (ps3fanboydotcom has it up if confirmation is needed) Is Killzone 2 a popular enough title/series to be put in a bundle? Is the Killzone 2 the "hot title" needed to sell units? Also, do you think the Killzone 2 will match or possibly outsell the MGS4 bundle? Thanks for your time.

Do you guys believe the iphone and ipod touch are viable gaming platforms and if so how likely are they to be embraced by the hardcore?

[quote name='ssssss']Hey Cheapy,
After being on the edge of buying Burnout Paradise, I played it at a friend's house and really liked it, and wanted to buy it. Criterion sounds like an awesome developer putting out so much downloadable content at no cost, and I sincerely wanted to support them for that, and because Paradise did not sell too well. I went to GameStop because they are the most convenient retailer, despite my disgust for the way they operate I tell the guy behind the counter I want Burnout Paradise, he says "Oh, the only one we have left is a display copy." He walks over to the display counter with all the 360 games, pulls out the case for Burnout Paradise. Then he gets out a little paper disc holder with the game disc in it with a sticker that says new. He inserts the manual and then puts a ziploc like sticky bag over the package and greets me to the door. He said it was new and being the sucker I was, I believed him. I come home and open it up, and the disc has scuffs on it. Not unplayable scuffs, but still scuffs.
The primary incentive was to buy an awesome game, but I really bought the game new because I wanted to support Criterion. Now I feel as if I have just thrown money to the GameStop monopoly and just helped them continue to be the middle man. The sticky bag they initially put the game in is wrecked, and I don't think the employees working there will believe me if I try to return it just so I can go to Best Buy and get a truly sealed game and satisfy my supporting Criterion. What should I do?[/quote]

A few years back I bought a "new copy" of Resident Evil 4 at Gamestop for the GC and when I got it I thought it was odd I they got out of a paper disc holder and into a case and sold it to me for full price. Got home checked the disc as I always do and sure enough it was scoffed and scratched the exact reason why I didnt buy a used copy. Since I have never bought new games at gamestop. RIPOFF ARTISTS!

This question is more for CheapyD

I've recently started hanging out with an Asian guy. We cruise the bars around campus regularly. Recently i've noticed that his tolerance for alcohol is very low. After about half a beer my friend is absolutley fuck'd up to the point where i have to drag him back to the apartment. He explained to me that he has the "Asian Flush," and when he drinks he becomes violently ill and red in the face. I was just wondering if maybe Mrs. Cheapy had this same affliction or anyone else you've come in contact with in Japan?

I've been catching up on past Cagcast episodes and listened to episode #105"CheapyD stinks." I too find showers to be overrated. Keep up the good work.

Also could you recommend a movie from netflix. I've watched all the movies you've recommened and been satisfied so far.

CheapyD,

Please help a fellow displaced Long Islander...

I recently moved to Seattle and have been having a hard time finding good New York style cuisine, especially a decent kosher deli. Last Sunday, I stumbled upon a so called kosher deli at Pike Place Market that the locals were just raving about. I decided to try a potato knish only to find out it was nothing more than mashed potatoes wrapped in Pillsbury crescent roll dough. What a f-ing disappointment!

I'm sure you have it even worse over in Tokyo so how do you cope with the lack of quality NY style food? Did you just give up, give in, or do you have Wombat ship food across the pond?

Please advise...

Smokie99

Hi Wombat & Cheapy.

I've been a subscriber since the early episodes but I've only recently registered for CAG.com and its my first time cagbagging!
A question that i haven't heard asked on the show yet is; If you, or Wombat were to for some strange reason, pass away *knock on wood*. what kind of "tribute" would you want on the site or on the cagcast?

Now i know this sounds wierd but i ensure you im not mentally ill, that i know. I'm just curious cause i remember one episode where you got asked who would take over if something were to happen to you.

Greetings from penis pumping Sweden

i greatly enjoy the show and have kinda noticed you are a very unlucky stoner was wondering if you would like me to mail you some"coffee" with some "SpBrownies" or if ya stop in the states somewhere around moline illinois ill get ya stoned and ok then.
ps i like the wombat/ship show we need more WOMBAT!!!!!!!!

Love the show great job. I just wanted to find out if the game trade will be available in the uk? The online trade sites in the uk are crap. Also I wondered if you could say a little more on of games. Maybe a few more realeses and requirements of those games. Once again great show

I agree on the whole douche-bag of the year thing. Not sure where it came from though. I just think there should be a slight bit of reservation on what Cheapy says. It doesn't have to be much but, is there anything he will not say?

I cannot d/l this podcast thought I can only play it "read only" style off the site otherwise I get a disconneccted link evry week now (no firewall). I Don't like that as I can skip ahead the other way (especially important to me as if I lose connection have to listen to it all over again).

Hey, Cheapy and Wombat.

To what extent do you guys install disc-based games to your 360 hard drive? I usually install whatever I'm currently playing through, as well as a couple of games I might jump into for a minute (COD4, Burnout Paradise). Once I'm done with a game for the most part, it gets uninstalled. Just wondering what your hard drive management looks like.

Also, I signed up for Netflix using the CAGcast referral and am loving the streaming instant queue stuff. Thanks!

Hey Cheapy and Wombat.

Do either of you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm? If not and you like selfish people who say whatever is on their mind and awkward situations, you should watch it!

As far as the whole Howard Stern discussion. When I heard him on the radio in the past, I never thought he was funny. Him saying stuff just to "shock" people got old fast. I thought I've heard of CAGcast as influenced by Howard Stern or something. I personally think you guys are 10 times funnier than Howard Stern.
/asskiss off

PS. Although I'm not a Howard Stern fan, Private Parts was a funny movie!

Hey guys, great show this past week as always.

I write because I really wanted to vent about finding out about the loss of the Gamerscore Blog, Chris Paladino, and Nelson Rodriguez. I know that CheapyD already knows about what happened because of Twitter and will probably talk about it on the show, but I wanted to just say that I'm really pissed about this whole thing. I read GSB everyday on Google Reader, so I read CPaladino each day. Minor Nelson's and Natalie's show, Pick Up & Play, was the only show on Inside Xbox that was a "must watch" for me. I think Microsoft is really dropping the ball here, butchering up one of the main qualities that makes their console stand out: the community.

My best wishes go out to them and anyone else who is about to be laid off by MSFT. I hope that the next chance you get to talk to the duo dismissed from the Gamerscore Blog, that you let them know that CAGs will miss them. Also, I hope that you let the next person with influence at MSFT you see know that they blew it here and are pissing away their hard-earned "community cred".

P.S. Go Wombat!

In CAGcast 147, you discussed the advertising strategies of 1UP/EGM. Specifically, Wombat felt that there should have been more influence of the editorial staff on the advertising staff, leveraging good editorial opinions into parallal advertising.

It seems to me that it should go a step further. Hosting advertising on your site is an endorsement of the product being advertised. For example, the current ad above this page is for Progressive Insurance. If you knew Progressive was a shit company and run their ad anyway, I would see that as a deception. In a sense, you would be screwing over your clientbase for advertising money. In EGM/1UP's games, if a game sucks, they shouldn't advertise it. If a game is great, they should try and advertise for it more.

I have heard many people talk of a companies integrity for keeping editorial and advertising seperate. But I don't think that's integrity; I think its an easy copout. An editorial staff then can claim immunity from the customer's trust in the ads. A customer should be able to trust everything on the website, content and ads.

So as a website operator CheapyD, how do you feel about that? Should a visitor to CheapAssGamer expect to trust the ads on your site? Or should it simply be "buyer beware"?

Cheapy --

A while back, in one of the CAGcasts or maybe a live session, around the time of the Gerstmann/Gamespot controversy, I recall a discussion that gamers were drawn to the big, on-line gaming sites because of the site itself, and not necessarily the personalities associated with the site or the individual game reviewers.

With all that happened with 1Up and UGO, and the support the laid-off editors/writers are receiving, it seems that gamers actually care and are interested in the people and personalities behind the reviews and articles.

Maybe its the popularity of the podcasts and on-line videos that turned the tide. Because of the podcasts and videos, gamers can now associate faces and voices to the written game commentary -- in effect, gamers were able to get to know the people beyond the words -- what do you and Wombat think?

Hey

I recently just downloaded/listened to CAG #51 where you had your wifes on the show answering questions and I was wondering how/when do you both meet Mrs. Wombat and Mrs. Cheapy?

I'm sorry, I never post to complain in these because I like the podcast, but Wombat's comments were in poor taste. The concept that advertisers can contact a company after a review is written does not work, because the reviewer then knows that such action is possible. A good review score suddenly becomes more valuable, and potentially job saving, when compared to a bad one, which can lead to another Gerstmann-like incident. Giving up one's integrity is a slippery slope (have we not learned this over the past 8 years as Americans?). I can honestly say that I have never looked at a gamespot review since then.

Also if you want some real games journalism may I suggest Seth Schiesel of the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/arts/television/24vide.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink is his most recent article. He is not the only one doing real journalism, but one of my favorites.

Hey guys, I was wondering if Amazon gave up on Release Day Delivery? Almost all the huge games used it this fall, and saved me time from going to the mall after work. But I haven't seen a game use it for a long time. I've been holding off on pre-ordering RE5 and Killzone til I know if amazon will offer it. Thanks

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

I wanted to know you thoughts on playing fighting games on a 360 controller in comparison to a PS3 controller. Do either of you plan on getting Street Fighter IV, and will the D-pad on both controllers make a difference as to which version you plan to purchase?

Hey Wombat,

Who do you think will win the Super Bowl: The Arizona Cardinals or the Pittsburgh Steelers? And if you don't care who wins, construct an elaborate alternate reality where something else happens.

Cheapy, I noticed an article today about Canon Japan giving workers mandatory time to leave work and spend time with their families two days a week. It is hoped that this policy will help combat Japan's declining birth rate, and that employees will have more children as they will have more family time. Given the extremely long hours Mrs. Cheapy works is there no hope for a second Cheapy child?

Here is the link just for reference. Canon sends workers home to be fruitful and multiply.

Hey cheapy and Wombat just wondering how you guys felt of speedy leaveing. Is it ok to give out his personal information now to circuit city since both don't matter anymore, just kidding.

I was listening to CagCast 96 and Cheapy said that Wombat's weekly assignment was to finish portal. Wombat, did you ever finish Portal?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

What are your thoughts on the burgeoning genre of games that aren't really challenging, but just focus on being fun, like A Kingdom for Keflings, flOw, Flower, and The Maw? Do you enjoy them more than you'd think and would you like to see more of these kinds of games in other genres?

I believe Cheapy mentioned a long time ago about being a fan of Katamari Damacy before the creator left and Namco wanted to keep it going, so I'm wondering if you're looking forward to Noby Noby Boy Boy, which will be out in February for $5 on PSN. It seems to keep that same kind of crazy vibe that Katamari had and for $5, there's not much risk in trying it out. Should more downloadable games be willing to go for the $5 price now that everything costs $10 whether it's worth it or not?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

A few weeks ago Cheapy shared a story of his stupid mistake, today I wanted to share mine. My wife and I have a subscription to Netflix and we alternate watching movies on the PS3 (blu-ray) and the 360 (dvd). Last week, we watched the animated film Flushed Away and the next day I ejected it from my PS3 and mailed it out.

The next day I pop a DVD into my 360 and realize that Flushed Away WAS STILL THERE. I stared in disbelief wondering what I did and what I sent back to Netflix. I realized that I shipped back Little Big Planet! So I thought to myself, I'll call Netflix and it'll be no big deal. I spoke to a nice lady on the phone and she said that since it's the weekend, they'll probably catch it on Monday.

Well they didn't. They shipped out the next movie, so I panicked and called again. They told me that I would have to wait two weeks for someone to report the disc as incorrect and mail it back. It's now 1 and a half week since I called and I haven't heard anything yet.

So yeah, that's my stupid mistake. My wife is pissed at me and I don't know if I'll get my game back. Netflix says they can't track the disc for me and the most they can reimburse me is $10. What a bummer...

Keep up the great work guys, love the show.

-SearchManX

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

A few weeks ago Cheapy shared a story of his stupid mistake, today I wanted to share mine. My wife and I have a subscription to Netflix and we alternate watching movies on the PS3 (blu-ray) and the 360 (dvd). Last week, we watched the animated film Flushed Away and the next day I ejected it from my PS3 and mailed it out.

The next day I pop a DVD into my 360 and realize that Flushed Away WAS STILL THERE. I stared in disbelief wondering what I did and what I sent back to Netflix. I realized that I shipped back Little Big Planet! So I thought to myself, I'll call Netflix and it'll be no big deal. I spoke to a nice lady on the phone and she said that since it's the weekend, they'll probably catch it on Monday.

Well they didn't. They shipped out the next movie, so I panicked and called again. They told me that I would have to wait two weeks for someone to report the disc as incorrect and mail it back. It's now 1 and a half week since I called and I haven't heard anything yet.

So yeah, that's my stupid mistake. My wife is pissed at me and I don't know if I'll get my game back. Netflix says they can't track the disc for me and the most they can reimburse me is $10. What a bummer...

-SearchManX

Dearest Cheapy and Wombat,
What is the ratio of pre-marital to post-marital sex you've both had or lacked, more specifically?
Also, is it just me, or does FriskyTanuki's number of questions remind people of this guy?:
the+comic+book+guy+pondering.gif

[quote name='SearchX']Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

-SearchManX[/quote]
This happened to me. My dad sent back my Flight of the Conchords disk instead of whatever movie he was actually supposed to send back. I was pretty pissed at him, because its my favorite show. It worked out though, he just re-bought the show for me because he felt so bad.

Hey Guys

I'm new to your show and website and couldn't be happier at what i've found. Fortunately i'm able to listen to the CAGcast at work so i've had a chance to delve into the repertoire. Anyway I do have a question amidst the blabber and that is,What compatibillity (if any) does the 360 have with regular USB heasets?

Also I played the RE5 demo and I must say I was not to impressed. Last night when I was playing the demo I found it to be frustating when it should have been fun and I couldn't help thinking about cheapy's call out on the flawed stop-and-shoot system. It's not realistic I were to be chased by running zomdies I would run, and I would shoot (maybe not well). It was very "Sega" of capcom not to get with the times.

Thanks Kambul

Cheapy,

We all know you think Robert Ashley is a douche bag but have you listened to his new podcast? http://alifewellwasted.com/ I must say it's brilliant and different for a change. Please give it a try and let us know what you think on the next CAGcast.

Smokie99

Cheapy and Wombat,

Do you think that we will soon see the end of console exclusive games, with the exception of games made by Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony? It seems that more and more publishers and developers are now focusing on 360/PS3 releases unlike earlier in this console generation. It also seems to be more profitable for these companies to branch out onto more than one console.

Thanks.

Cheapy and Wombat,

What do you think about Sony's recent statement claiming that they purposely designed the PS3 as a hard machine to develop for so that games coming out in several years will be much much better than today’s games, thus giving them the advantage over the 360 in the long run? There seems to be some logic in what they are saying. If PS3 games really do start to shine two or three years from now and 360 games are basically unchanged, might we start seeing 360 fans jumping ship? Or do you think developers will stick with the easier platform and not bother trying to master the PS3? Will the PS3 end up being this decades Betamax?

What do you guys think?

Smokie99

Hey Cheapy,

Any update on the Pizza Guy, every week I listen to the CAGcast hoping to hear news of this proud nudist's attempts to find acceptance in the land of the rising Sun.

Since the announcement of Speedy1961's leaving, will you be putting up a donations page for Speedy since he has lost his job and has given us the heads up of so many deals?

okay i just really got into you guys and i have one question for ya cheapy, i had heard wombat mention that it costs you guys barely anything to produce your episodes of CAG, whatr i wanted to know is why not air maybe twice a week?:D

bread's done
Back