CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

My little brother was playing Saints Row the Third and I noticed he had the CheapyD add on. I told him to pick him and he asked "why?" and I replied "He's a real guy, he's cool, I listen to him on the internet". So he called up CheapyD and I was amazed seeing CheapyD in a video game.

My brother then proceeded to fill his his homie full of lead.

"Aww, whyd you do that!?" I asked. "Its funny" he replied.

Anyway, what video game would Wombat like to be in?

Hey Cheapy I am getting bored of visiting Key West, Prague, South Africa and the U.S. Virgin Islands on my vacations. Could you recommend any other places?

Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck, I really need your advice on a difficult situation. I am turning 30 years old this fall and I find that my passion for gaming is being tested more than ever. I love playing video games and I thoroughly enjoy every opportunity I get to pla, but that's just it, I find that my opportunities are coming further and further apart. I don't so much mind the lapse in time, but I am bothered by the fact that I don't necessarily miss it. I think this crisis started because I have been burned recently by wasting my precious gaming time on sub-par games such as Final Fantasy XIII (and XIII-2...ugh), Kingdoms of Amalur, etc. (sub-par compared to SKYRIM, Mass Effect series, COD, etc). Right now, I have The Witcher 2 ready to go but I can't seem to find the desire to give the disc a spin.

This is a hard pill for me to swallow because I have been a hard core gamer all my life. I still remember unwrapping the NES on Christmas morning in 1987. I remember where I was when I knocked down Mike Tyson for the first time. I remember celebrating for a solid week when I finally beat the Emerald Weapon. Hell, my mother still brags that she was the first in our family to beat Zelda. I guess I just want to know if either of you three have experienced anything like this and if so, do you have any advice to give me to help me through this crisis. Thanks

This is probably going to come out of the blue... but figured I'd ask anyway.

Did you guys go to the arcades and play Mortal Kombat? What were your initial reactions to such a "bloody" game according to the standards at the time? And what are you favorite fatalities throughout the series?

Thanks for the great podcasts. I listen to them all the time during my commute to and from work here in NYC.

@ Kung Fu ZEPHYR:
No offense, but I just don't understand why you would be "bothered" by the fact that you don't miss it. Ok... so what if you don't miss it? It simply might mean that perhaps your interests/priorities in life has simply changed? I think "crisis" might be too strong of a word no?

I also know that you didn't ask me this question, but just figured I would chime in since I am 32 and don't play nearly as much games. Do I miss it? Sure why not. Does it bother me that I miss it? Not really because there are more important things in life than dedicating all my leisure time to playing games. Sometimes life takes precedence you know.

Don't be too hard on yourself, and there is no reason to blame yourself. Just because you find yourself straying away from games isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could simply mean that you have other things to do, and that is fine. We are all human. I, for one, am not a game playing machine.

What do you guys think about the Apple/Samsung trial? Is the judge being unfair by not allowing pieces of evidence entered into the record, or has Samsung hired a bunch of idiots to represent them.

Have any of you guys sold anything given to you by video game PR on sites like ebay or at stores like gamestop? Just wondering since Wombat could get a decent amount of money for that platinum sypro skylander.

This is a Batman-related comment, so I naturally direct it at Wombat.
I've been listening to the Wombat-recommended "How did this Get Made?" podcast, and they are deconstructing the worst Batman movie ever, Batman and Robin, this week. It was mentioned that in some alternate Bizarro universe where B & R was a successful film, and Tim Burton's horrid Nic Cage Superman film got made, the Nolan Bat films would never have been made, and we would have gotten "World's Finest", a Batman-Superman team up movie starring George Clooney and Nicolas Cage. Think about that, Wombat. Think about it.

After reading the Kotaku article on standing while playing video games I had to laugh.We all know Cheapy's stance on removing all chairs in the world (j/k) but I remember a couple of months ago Shipwreck Tweeting a couple of times about a new laz-e-boy, the complete opposite of Cheapy.Can Ship be allowed time to give his view on why being comfortable is a better way?

Last edited by a moderator:
CheapyD, I just want to say watching your reaction on your livefeed while playing "Slender" Monday night (Tuesday for you) made my Monday after a stressful Statistics test. :lol:

Will you talk about your experience on this weeks CAG cagcast?

Are you planning on telling Ship and Wombat about the game?

Will you play it again in the future?

Thanks,

EDJ

Cheapy, Wombat, and Ship,
I was wondering if you could tell me if this is brilliant or hopeless. I am going to be a college sophomore at a rather tech-savvy school, and for a while I have considered double majoring in game design in addition to my current major of biomedical engineering. Now, I do have a decent amount of scholarships, but to double major would require overloading and taking summer classes, paying from my own pocket. So, I was wondering how likely you think it would be to fund this via Kickstarter with the promise of a game that will eventually released? Would it be worth the hassle?

CHEAPY D:

I'm interning at Mizuho Corporate Bank here in the city for the summer, and was wondering if you could answer a few questions about proper, respectful, Japanese etiquette.

1) How exactly does bowing work? I understand that I'm supposed to bow lower than the other person, but it gets awkward when they bow to me multiple times in the same convo.

2) The use of "San," In e-mails and in greetings, they address each other with that title. Does it go in before the first, or last name, cause I've seen both? Am I expected to use it?

Great show as always, been a listener for over 6 years

Quick question for all of you:

Is there a chance that the upcoming Xbox and the upcoming Playstation 4 will have backwards compatibility?

What are your thoughts about this topic?

So the gaming community collectively gave the immensely successful Penny Arcade guys a half million dollars to remove ads they already ignored anyways. My question is: Are gamers stupid?

Cheapy, I have a 'watch this bitches' recommendation for you:

Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of Toynbee Tiles

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/R...y_of_the_Toynbee_Tiles/70170048?trkid=2361637

It's about these tiles found on roads for the past 30 years in northeast US and South America that has a message based on theories presented by Arnold Toynbee and 2001: A Space Odyssey that dead humans can be resurrected scientifically on Jupiter. Just as fascinating as the messages themselves is the search for the person creating and laying these tiles.

Hearing how much Cheapy is starting to buy a majority of his games for his new PC and with no new consoles in sight, gaming making up such a piece of the entertainment market, and brand new game engines by square enix/epic, do you think that if the big name developers begin developing with the new game engines just for the pc (example Epic's fortnight) that they can sway the current console gamers into pc gaming and start another generation of gaming solely on pc? I've been gaming for about 6+ months on my new rig and haven't looked back which i never thought it'd be the case.

I do most of my Amazon shopping from my iphone and there is not a way to provide affiliate support when I shop from the Amazon App. Will there be a way to link over to the Amazon App from the eventual CAG App and continue to support the site?

Does Shipwreck and Wombat suffer from any of the symptoms of Skylanders addiction according to the latest issue of Wired:
  • Try it, you'll like it, where you spend only the cash on the starter pack?
  • One more can't hurt, where you buy all four packs at $80
  • I can quit anytime, where you spend at least $300 on additional figures
  • It doesn't control me! I control it! Where you waste up to a grand on the damned toys.
    and finally
  • Don't look at me, where you pledge your immortal soul to Lord Satan and his minions for the rarest figures?

But then again, you guys probably get the toys at a huge discount or virtually free, so no biggie.

Hey guys, Saints row 3 is down to $29 at best buy (canada) , should I hold out for the goty edition? do you know if one is scheduled/coming out? I have $25 in digital dollars (from the best buy visa) that I'm jonesin' to spend on something!

Hey guys I just wanted to say I really enjoy the show. Thank you for the time and effort you guys put into it.

Cheapy, dunno if this will help provide "therapy" for your travel related stress or make it worse given your recent feelings on Hawaii. But... I will be going there next week for a friends wedding, and was wondering if you could recommend any good eats/restaurants in and around the Honolulu/Waikiki area so I can almost experience lunch with Cheapy D. Any input is appreciated, although the more inexpensive the better, as I lack the luxurious A-list internet celebrity funds and what not.

Do you guys also have any pro tips for surviving a long (8 hour) flight?

Thanks again!

CheapyD, did you see the new Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin) movie? Kotaku gave it a glowing review, calling it the best adapation of an anime/game since the Ace Attorney movie.

Hello Cagcast crew. I am a long time listener and usually I don't post questions but I had to get something off my chest. What the heck is going on with the Vita? Where are the games? I see there's a Ratchet and Clank HD collection I'm supposed to play on my PS3 but it would make absolute sense on the Vita. They added PSOne classics that are limited. What is Sony doing and are you still playing your Vita?
Thanks

Hey guys,

This message is for Wombat.

I love dust. But I am Suck. I am at Moonblood camp and i cant get the second generator to do anything. If someone could answer this i would be truly grateful. I would like to send the fixer of my dilemma 5 buck to Walmart. I need an answer please

Thank,
A kid with a controller down.

CheapyD and Shipwrect, did you ever promise Wombat that you would join him in his CBS boycott? Now that a Sherlock Holmes show with Lucy Liu will air, will all three of you break it?

Hey guys, been a fan of the show for a while.

I was wondering what you guys thought of Playstation All Stars? You guys kinda just skipped the subject last episode. What characters do you think need to be in this game? What do you think of the roster so far? What would you want added to this game as far ad items and gameplay? Why aren't you guys interested? I figured Wombat would be excited about it for sure. Do you guys know anything about it we don't?

Thanks and keep up the amazing work guys.

Had I not fallen in love and gotten married, I would not be excited about the Wii U. But the truth is, I’m married. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great, but my wife neither likes playing games, nor watching me play games. Since getting married, I spend much of my time playing 3DS or Vita with my wife sitting next to me on the couch watching Bravo. This allows me to satisfy my gaming hobby and uphold the “spending quality time together” clause of our prenup. With the Wii U gamepad, I am enthralled that I can play console games without having to create a man cave. Once I get my hands on the Wii U and I’m able to play games such as Assassin’s Creed III on the couch next to my wife, my 3DS and Vita will collect dust. So in this sense, assuming all the games are playable on the Wii gamepad, I see the Wii U not as competition for the 360 and PS3, but for the 3DS and Vita. I acknowledge that gamers like myself don't make up a huge part of the market, but what do you guys think?

So recently, Mark of the Ninja was released and announced at TGS, is Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. My question for CheapyD, Shipwreck and Wombat is what you think of Yaiba and what are you favorite ninja games?

Also, recently NHL 13 was announced that 2 women hockey players will be playable and I am curious to hear your opinion if you are digging playing female sports players than versus to with male sports players.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts and keep up the good work guys!

Now that Shipwreck has had some time with it, does he have any opinions about the Elgato game capture HD device?

Any updates on the new look and feel for the site? I remember last holiday season Cheapy mentioned it was almost done but he was waiting until Jan or Feb to release it since the holiday shopping season is so chaotic and important for the site. I don't have any problems with the current site, but shiny and new is always nice :)

I know that Shipwreck and the wife are enjoying Borderlands 2 co-op, any chance of her appearing on the new show to discuss her opinions on the game a little bit?

Hi guys, I remember back in episode 100 you guys did a "best of" compilation. However, on episode 200, I don't recall you CheapyD compiling a best of for the CAGcast. So my question is, any plans on doing that for episode #300??

I absolutely love the show guys, keep it up

I hope Tai isn't around when you watch this week's Independent Lens, CheapyD. It's a rather somber story about one of worst and lingering social ills, violence against women. I felt that it was great that the Western viewer got to learn about what life is like in underdeveloped countries, but it could've had more conversations with more victims, then again how many victims are willing to talk.

Another bump on the episode #300 compilation request. If not a compilation, perhaps a special guest? Maybe one of you guys unveil some deep dark secret? Or better yet, have Ship try to get his wife pregnant by the time 300 comes around?

Hi Cagcast,

Went to the Eurogamer expo last weekend in London and one thing that was clear to me is there really is a stark difference in visual fidelity between the con$sole and PC games now. Some upcoming games look like they're already a few years old! The sequels were the ones that looked the best visually, but guess the devs have had time to polish!

*cough* dishonored *cough*

I'm sure you guys have noticed with your recent PC purchases..

I stopped upgrading my gaming PC in 2003 when I started buying Macs; now I have a 360, PS3 and 3DS. Console games have always had the edge for me for these reasons, when the difference in graphics wasn't as big as it is now:

• designed for the hardware so no need to worry about specification or compatibility
  • the hardware is optimised for gam$ing so there’s no wasted components or hun$gry operating sys$tem to consume resources
  • run on hardware that is smaller, quieter (generally) and fits under the TV
  • designed for the controller and TV, I prefer to sit on the sofa than at a desk as do enough of that at work
  • usually the lead publishing platform because they sell more, PCs then get a port which means they often don’t take advantage of the PC hardware

At the expo I discovered the Alienware X51 though. It had a 360 con$trolled plugged in to and could eas$ily be mistaken for a console, especially if you ran Steam Big Screen UI on a TV. So a few of my points are no longer valid. It's four times the cost of a 360 or PS3 though.

So a few questions:

1. Do you guys think it's worth getting back in to PC gaming now rather than following the upgrade path dictated by Microsoft and Sony?
  2. Are my reasons for sticking with console games still valid?
  3. Do you regret your PC purchases at all?
  4. And do you think you'll still buy the next-gen 360 and PS3?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you three ever try Guild Wars 2?

Here are the reasons I think all three of you would like GW2:

1) Big open world RPG

2) Each race gets there own single player (or coop if you choose) story line with branching paths. Much like Dragon Age 1.

3) Big beautiful open world with tons of nooks and carnies to explore and you gain a lot of experience for exploring.

4) The first game I have ever enjoyed playing alongside people I don't know. I have not met one jerk in this game. I am normally a single player type gamer.

5) The game gives experience and loot for helping other players. If you run up and help a player kill a monster you both get exp and loot.

6) All players can heal and revive other players and get exp for it, so everyone wants to help.

7) You can play with your friends at any level. A level 30 player can play with a level 1 player and both players will get loot and exp for their level.

8) You get just as much exp for crafting and gathering as killing monsters.

9) You do not have to group with other players to play alongside them. You just work together or not. You don't even need to talk to them. Just feels like an NPCs with very good AI.

10) Dynamic Events. You don't talk to NPC to get most quests (exception is your story quest). There are constant events (indicated by a heart on the map) and random events (indicated by a bright orange circle) happening all the time in every area, and usually multiple ways to complete them.

11) One of the best skill systems I have ever seen in a game. Too much to explain here.

12) World vs World vs World PvP: You can but do not have too (almost like a second game) participate in WvWvW. These are four large maps where you can fight for the honor of your server against 2 other servers. This includes taking objective points like castles and such over, and other objectives as well. There are both real players and NPCs to kill. You get exp and loot from both. Everyone is level boosted to max level 80 while in WvWvW, so even a level one can play (you just won’t have all your skills unlocked).

13) Fast travel to any way-point you have discovered. So nice. No reason to run back and forth through areas you have already been through.

14) Very little penalty for death, so you can feel free to adventure in areas over your head.

15) Tons of cool loot, and ways to dress up your character.

16) 91% on Metacritic, and a fantastic Game Trailers review you can check out.
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/zif2eg/guild-wars-2-review

17) Game plays like a cross between Skyrim, Dragon Age, and yes a little like WoW, but I think better than all three. I hate to say WoW because I was not a fan of WoW’s game play. GW2 is only like WoW or any other MMO because there are a lot of people running around. In my opinion the game play is much faster and more dynamic.

18) A Mac version of the game for Wombat.

19) No Subscription Fee. None!!! Just buy the game and play as much as you want. If you need to take a break and play other games, no problem. Just come back later without feeling like you are paying for something you are not using.

Okay, there is on negative. The game has a slight learning curve. Maybe one to two hours to kind of get the hang of how things work. The game does not do a great job on explaining how things work. If you feel a little lost when you start check out the Guild Wars 2 Wiki, or ask people in game. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

I hope all three of you, and other CAGs give GW2 a try. I love it.

bread's done
Back