CAGcast #130: Joe Schmoe's Penis World

Insert generic praise comment here. But yes, this was a fun, focused show (despite Cheapy thinking their banter at the end was a bad thing). I laughed out loud on more than one occasion.

Good luck against the Penny Arcade panel, Cheapy. Maybe have a drink or ten and make sure your panel is more interesting.

[quote name='Wombat']I mentioned a few eps a go that I did not own a madden from this gen and that this may be my year. Getting the momments right is importnat because the players on the field are what make the momment relevent. Without it you are just playing 2 minutes of anything, it has no significance. As a feature and it being the only game in town, this is something they need to get right. As a football fan and a madden fan I find it insulting to me and offensive. All-pro 2k is more of a fantasy game and has no bearing on real football.[/quote]
It just seems like such a petty thing to base your refusal to buy the game on. It comes off as a cop out reason to not buy the game, like refusing to buy BC Rearmed because of the lack of online co-op or multiplayer. I guess if you're trying to make some kind of statement about it, it's fine, but that doesn't mine I can't harp on you about it.

[quote name='Wombat']As for LBP, I just have concerns, if just agreed with Cheapy on the show then people wouldn't be talking about it now. Also I know of at least one person who had a chance to play it at E3 and wasn't impressed. I wont say who but it rhymes with flipseck. This game is very different from anything on the system , I think I am allowed to question whether the game will live up to its hype. Or is just a 2D platformer with a level creator.[/quote]
Never said you needed to agree with Cheapy on everything, but some of the complaints you lodged against the game (penis levels overwhelming the user-created offerings, eight year olds being forced to make levels, etc) made it seem like you were stretching for reasons that the game will fail to be anything more than a niche game. You even went so far as to suggest that it won't be a complete game, asking Cheapy how many levels are in the game, like he would have paid attention to anything PR people would tell him at E3.

[quote name='Wombat'] I really don't think I was being all that negative, I just wasnt aggreing with everything Cheapy said. Heck I enjoyed Braid and Geo Wars 2 and I said I was looking forward to Banjo Kazooie. People just focus on the negative because it seems the be the most interesting things I say.[/quote]
Didn't say you were negative about everything, just that you seemed to take the negative approach to any game that was mentioned on the show (Last Guy, Infamous, DC Universe Online, Wii Fit, Warhawk, Calling All Cars, and even the Wii) more often than not.

You guys should bring back the Hype Wagon to give yourselves a chance to talk more about games you're looking forward to since I don't recall that segment being around for a while.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It just seems like such a petty thing to base your refusal to buy the game on. It comes off as a cop out reason to not buy the game, like refusing to buy BC Rearmed because of the lack of online co-op or multiplayer. I guess if you're trying to make some kind of statement about it, it's fine, but that doesn't mine I can't harp on you about it.

Never said you needed to agree with Cheapy on everything, but some of the complaints you lodged against the game (penis levels overwhelming the user-created offerings, eight year olds being forced to make levels, etc) made it seem like you were stretching for reasons that the game will fail to be anything more than a niche game. You even went so far as to suggest that it won't be a complete game, asking Cheapy how many levels are in the game, like he would have paid attention to anything PR people would tell him at E3.

Didn't say you were negative about everything, just that you seemed to take the negative approach to any game that was mentioned on the show (Last Guy, Infamous, DC Universe Online, Wii Fit, Warhawk, Calling All Cars, and even the Wii) more often than not.

You guys should bring back the Hype Wagon to give yourselves a chance to talk more about games you're looking forward to since I don't recall that segment being around for a while.[/QUOTE]

thats not a bad idea, as it was not my intention to be the negative man. I wasn't being negative about Warhawk i was being negative about cheapy and warhawk

[quote name='Wombat']thats not a bad idea, as it was not my intention to be the negative man. I wasn't being negative about Warhawk i was being negative about cheapy and warhawk[/quote]
I think I brought that up because you kept bringing that joke back again and again with a different fake quote that Cheapy's supposedly said in the past.

Pretty good show this week, guys! I know others have grumbled, but I'm OK with the move to Monday releases, just gives me something to listen to Tuesday at work.

I don't particularly consider myself a niche gamer, but I'm definitely looking forward to LBP. Though I have next to no intention of doing too much with creating my own levels, I think the idea is neat, and I'll probably give other user-generated levels a try. I don't know that it will be a system-seller, though.

As for Cheapy doing a video podcast, it should be an interesting idea. I guess it's possible to extend the "Your Man in Japan" idea, and make full shows of stuff like your toilet video. Or you can do a weekly wrap-up of your thoughts on what you've been playing this week. Maybe a podcast on gaming as a new parent?

/tk

I don't think Wombat in negative; he just brings a healthy dose of skepticism to the CAGcast. Most of the enthusiast press gush over games in the preview stages- not Wombat. He seems to take a 'wait and see approach'.

Frisky- So Wombat was negative about WiiFit and Calling All Cars? If I recall his criticism of CAC was the lack of boards, options, etc. I wholeheartedly agree. I played this for about two hours and had no intent to ever play again. Also he said Wiifit didn't offer enough value to justify the $90 price. I know at least 15 people who bought this title day and and now regret it- one of those people is me. As for Warhawk- we'll it's a great game, I think he relaxed his stance after playing it.

Wombat, if you you ever lose this skeptical side of your personality, a little bit of me will die on the inside!

One more point- After playing Banjo and Kazooie for about a half hour; I'm glad it will be $39.99, I couldn't pay $60 for the game. One level had a hillside, and I spent a few minutes working my way to the top. I wreck my car, and for the next 30 seconds, I watched as my car tumbles down uncontrollably, finally landing in water. Shit like that makes me reach for the power button.

LBP on the other hand has me super excited- I love making levels more than playing them.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Frisky- So Wombat was negative about WiiFit and Calling All Cars? If I recall his criticism of CAC was the lack of boards, options, etc. I wholeheartedly agree. I played this for about two hours and had no intent to ever play again. Also he said Wiifit didn't offer enough value to justify the $90 price. I know at least 15 people who bought this title day and and now regret it- one of those people is me. As for Warhawk- we'll it's a great game, I think he relaxed his stance after playing it.[/quote]
Didn't criticize his negativity of Wii Fit and CAC or any of the other games I listed, just listed what he was negative about. I'm not angry that we wasn't gushing over them, just backing up my thought that he had a negative stance on most things discussed in the show. The last few times he's brought up Warhawk, the first words out of his mouth were "the problem I have with Warhawk is _____," which isn't really relaxing on his stance.

I said I thought it was one of his most negative shows that I can recall, which he didn't think it was, so I listed some of the games he wasn't so positive about. I remember a time when we couldn't get Wombat to shut up about how much he loved Oblivion, so it's always fluctuating. He doesn't need to change anything, but I think I'm allowed to comment on the fluctuations.

Great show again guys! Always a highlight to burn through the CAGcast.

-On the Madden Moments. I'll still pick the game up, but I agree completely with Wombat on how shitty the moments are. They have to have the right rosters. And not just because it is a 'next-gen' game. Does anyone remember QB Club for the SNES and Genesis (and then onto the Saturn and N64)? Because those games had "Scenarios", which were the exact same thing as the Madden Moments, except they had accurate rosters. All the way back in the mid 90s. So I'm calling bullshit on the Moments not having accurate rosters.

-On the flip side, I wholeheartedly disagree with Wombat on LBP's level design potential. First off, they are packaging the game with a buttload of levels (or at least they are saying they will...). So that concern is out of the window. But then, the quality of levels. Of course, there will be plenty of terrible levels. But there are going to be a select few which are fantastic. Countless PC games have benefited from user made content, and even some games out there that are hugely popular are based from user made content.

I do think there has to be a really effective mechanism out there to make sure that the good levels float to the top, and make themselves obviously available to people. On the PC, there were always great fan sites which did a good job of reviewing lots and lots of maps, to make sure you knew which were good. And then you'd start to figure out who were your favorite designers in the community, and then you could just download their stuff automatically, knowing it would be good.

Of course, if they just dump all the levels on top of you, with no way of discerning between them, that will be a definite issue. I think the biggest problem they will have is having an interface that gamers can access in-game. On the PC, it is easy to browse websites, and pick maps to download. On the PS3...not so much. So I'm not sure how they are going to address that challenge.

-On Wombat being...'negative'. I don't know if that is really a bad thing. Nobody really wants to listen to two guys just jerk each other off for an hour or so. People listen for real, genuine discussions about topics, and in order to do that, there has to be a little conflict.

I don't know if anyone happens to listen to Bay Area sports talk, but there is a very popular host called Gary Radnich who's on 9-12, and sometimes people call in and ask "Why are you opinionated on [pick a topic]?" And he answers "Because it's my job to be opinionated. For 3 hours a day, I got to find something to talk about. As soon as the show is over, I'm over it, and go back to just enjoying sports. But during work time, I have to generate topics for discussion". I think the same point applies to what Cheapy and Wombat are doing. Wombat mentioned to not take this statements personally. He's just out there, trying to talk about something.

I think the Video Podcast thing would be cool, but without Wombat, its an automatic fail. :)

I kind of agree with Wombat about Little Big Planet. A game shouldn't rely on a majority of user created content to work. User created content can be fun, but if it is the major selling point of the game, then I think it may fail. As Wombat said, we are going to get flooded with levels where people think they are hilarious by making you platform through a gigantic penis or something equally stupid. I don't know the level of content that will be provided with the game, but User created content shouldn't be how we attain most of the levels. It could be fun, but sifting through the levels to find the real gems would really hurt the game. Just wanted to let Wombat know he isn't alone.

By the way, great show this week.

[quote name='misterine']I have a question regarding about the contest
If i submitted a voicemail on the last contest it's saved over right?[/quote]

I don't think so because the question for the contest is different.

Great show, guys. The video podcast is a great idea. Can't wait to see the "pilot" episode. Hehe.. Good luck with that.

Wombat on LBP:

Wow, talk about being 100% pessimistic about something! I completely disagree with the complaints that Wombat lodged against what could easily be one of the most innovative games ever. Wombat's issues:

1) "I pay $60 to have levels created for me by the developers"
...welll, if you would pay any attention to the recent coverage of this title (aka. do your homework for CheapyD's podcast), you'd know that it's coming with at least 50 pre-made levels on the disc, of which include boss battles, co-op play, and--I'd imagine--the abolity to edit the actual levels, just like Halo's Forge.

2) "I don't want to play penis levels"
...lets get one thing clear: PSN userbase quality >>>> XBox Live userbase quality. I have 50 Friends on my PSN list (none of whom I know other than through the PSN service), and I can't think of a single one of them that would be as immature as the "users" Wombat bitched about. Sure, there's always going to be a rotten grape in every bunch, but that's no need to tear down an entire community. Plus, Media Molecule is going to include a YouTube-like rating system for the custom-built levels, so only the truly good stuff will rise to the top.

The last game to feature a truly robust, user-friendly level creator was Megaman Powered-Up--I browsed through hundreds of user-created content, and didn't see even one immaturely themed level. Just because you prefer XBox Live, Wombat, doesn't mean you have to judge all other services / users off of it.

In fact, by you going on CheapyD's stellar podcast and, per usual, ranting without merit about LBP being filled with penis levels, all you're doing is contributing to the small demographic of people who, sadly, will most likely resort to such penis-filled nonsense. Shame on you for whining about true innovation--the PS3 brings you the freedom to create in LBP, yet it seems that all you truly want is more shovelware of Microsoft's "heavily armored marines with guns" themed games. Jeesh, maybe next you should complain about Braid costing $15... ...oh, wait, too late...

Either start thinking things through before you talk, or let Shipwreck take your place on CheapyD's award-winning podcast.

[quote name='AwRy108']Wombat on LBP:

Wow, talk about being 100% pessimistic about something! I completely disagree with the complaints that Wombat lodged against what could easily be one of the most innovative games ever. Wombat's issues:

1) "I pay $60 to have levels created for me by the developers"
...welll, if you would pay any attention to the recent coverage of this title (aka. do your homework for CheapyD's podcast), you'd know that it's coming with at least 50 pre-made levels on the disc, of which include boss battles, co-op play, and--I'd imagine--the abolity to edit the actual levels, just like Halo's Forge.

2) "I don't want to play penis levels"
...lets get one thing clear: PSN userbase quality >>>> XBox Live userbase quality. I have 50 Friends on my PSN list (none of whom I know other than through the PSN service), and I can't think of a single one of them that would be as immature as the "users" Wombat bitched about. Sure, there's always going to be a rotten grape in every bunch, but that's no need to tear down an entire community. Plus, Media Molecule is going to include a YouTube-like rating system for the custom-built levels, so only the truly good stuff will rise to the top.

The last game to feature a truly robust, user-friendly level creator was Megaman Powered-Up--I browsed through hundreds of user-created content, and didn't see even one immaturely themed level. Just because you prefer XBox Live, Wombat, doesn't mean you have to judge all other services / users off of it.

In fact, by you going on CheapyD's stellar podcast and, per usual, ranting without merit about LBP being filled with penis levels, all you're doing is contributing to the small demographic of people who, sadly, will most likely resort to such penis-filled nonsense. Shame on you for whining about true innovation--the PS3 brings you the freedom to create in LBP, yet it seems that all you truly want is more shovelware of Microsoft's "heavily armored marines with guns" themed games. Jeesh, maybe next you should complain about Braid costing $15... ...oh, wait, too late...

Either start thinking things through before you talk, or let Shipwreck take your place on CheapyD's award-winning podcast.[/QUOTE]

who brought up PSN or Xbox Live?

[quote name='Wombat']who brought up PSN or Xbox Live?[/quote]

From the sound of things, your negativity towards online communities is a result of all of the time you spend on LIVE--had you spent more time on the PSN instead, you wouldn't be so quick to make assumptions about how user-created content would be handled, as the actual PSN tends to have a much more mature userbase.

I don't know, he started pulling shit out of his ass. Yeah Wombat, shame on you for saying things you didn't!

LBP looks very fun, but it's not "teh most innovative game everz!" It's a basic platformer with very nice, very impressive level editing tools with a cute little style. I'm most certainly looking forward to it, but I'm not going to hype it up like it's something more than it is.

[quote name='yukine']I don't know, he started pulling shit out of his ass. Yeah Wombat, shame on you for saying things you didn't!

LBP looks very fun, but it's not "teh most innovative game everz!" It's a basic platformer with very nice, very impressive level editing tools with a cute little style. I'm most certainly looking forward to it, but I'm not going to hype it up like it's something more than it is.[/quote]

Even if that's "all that it is," isn't that enough to be something very new and innovative? Here we have a full game out of the box, with a way to share levels that you create on your own, rate them, and one day have the best creators even sell their content on the platform. I don't recall anything like this happening on a console, ever, especially with the ease of use (somewhere between modding Unreal levels and making tracks in Excite Bike) and versatility that LBP offers. It looks fun to play, and I'm dreaming up tons of non-penis levels to start making as soon as I get it.

Also, what's up with Nega-Wombat ragging on CheapyD for loving Warhawk when he first got it? The game is great. So what if he doesn't play it anymore; he was excited when he first started playing. He's a "busy man" as we all know. There is still a huge community out there playing, and the devs are constantly updating with free and paid content. We've even got fucking Jet Packs coming out soon. I throw it in every few months, and I always find some fun on there. It really is a great game, and something that is completely unrepresented on consoles (maybe BF:BC is like it, but that's an FPS...I like Warhawk's TPS approach).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

I didn't say it wasn't innovative, I'm saying it's not the most innovative game to ever come out. It doesn't do anything new, it improves upon things that have already existed in games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy it on day one, play it and most likely enjoy it quite a bit. But claiming like LBP is the end all be all of video games is unfounded in my opinion.

[quote name='Wolfkin']so this is the "Wombat-hate" I always hear about. I should hang out in show threads more often.[/quote]

My comments are only directed at Wombat because he made belligerent statements without any thought or merit behind them--I would've responded the same had it been CheapyD or Shipwreck. Thankfully, the latter are both smart enough to at least explain themselves when making such bold statements. Sometime Wombat's head gets a bit too big for his shoulders as a result of being allowed to be part of the CAGcast.

In the end, as a gamer of many years, I honestly feel that Little Big Planet will bring wonderful, innovative ideas to the table. Halo 3's Forge was a great introduction of "user-created content" to the console market, and LBP looks to take the whole concept to new heights and broader audiences. Will a select fews retards make penis levels? No doubt. But that's a small price to pay for the tons of [free] fantastic user-created levels, minigames, etc. that will be birthed, too.

Keep up the great work on the site, podcast, videos, and everything you do, Cheapy!

I was just relistening to the PizzaGuy story and something occurred to me

If he sounds like a black man.
If he's bald like a black man.
If he's suspiciously similar-looking to local criminals like a black man.
If he's paranoid of the police like a black man.

Then dog gone it a black man he is. Be sure to mail off for your membership card

[quote name='AwRy108']My comments are only directed at Wombat because he made belligerent statements without any thought or merit behind them--I would've responded the same had it been CheapyD or Shipwreck. Thankfully, the latter are both smart enough to at least explain themselves when making such bold statements. Sometime Wombat's head gets a bit too big for his shoulders as a result of being allowed to be part of the CAGcast.

In the end, as a gamer of many years, I honestly feel that Little Big Planet will bring wonderful, innovative ideas to the table. Halo 3's Forge was a great introduction of "user-created content" to the console market, and LBP looks to take the whole concept to new heights and broader audiences. Will a select fews retards make penis levels? No doubt. But that's a small price to pay for the tons of [free] fantastic user-created levels, minigames, etc. that will be birthed, too.

Keep up the great work on the site, podcast, videos, and everything you do, Cheapy![/QUOTE]

My "merit" is that no one really knows what we are going to get with user created content and by over blowing the worst case senario it opens up discussion. and "allowed" thats funny

[quote name='Wombat']My "merit" is that no one really knows what we are going to get with user created content and by over blowing the worst case senario it opens up discussion. and "allowed" thats funny[/quote]

indeed, can't people speculate these days? besides, i think many other game journalists have mentioned the same potential problems of X-rated user-generated levels when LBP comes out to the masses.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm definitely cool with speculation, however I think Banjo and Rare are tired and worthless.[/quote]

LOL, i think so too

[quote name='Wombat']My "merit" is that no one really knows what we are going to get with user created content and by over blowing the worst case senario it opens up discussion. and "allowed" thats funny[/quote]

By "over blowing" a scenario, you're making yourself just as filthy as the evening news covering Mass Effect. Don't do that.

Cheapy and the pizza guy looking similar got me thinking. Pizza guy is Cheapy D's alternative personality. C'mon, how many creepy looking, tall, bald white guys can their be in Japan? That was always Cheapy's line of work. There's only room for one. ;)

Wombat being negative? I think CAGS like AwRy108 need to really calm down a bit. Is he supposed to like every single game that comes out? If I recall, both Cheapy and Wombat were not so hot for Metal Gear Solid 4. I didn't hear too many people bitching about that. If both guys agreed on everything the show would get boring. Cheapy was being really "negative" about the Wii. Where are the people crying over that? Cheapy also had a "negative tone" when discussing the new Ratchet game. Who cares? Honestly it's not that big of a deal. I think people should stop getting their panties in a bunch.

Wombat has a point. I'm hoping the LBP people support the game and don't just forget after a couple of months. If it gets supported ala Warhawk then I won't worry much. Some sort of rating system would be perfect, as well as "spotlight on such and such maps" within the game. Maybe a "best level this week or month" section too. I'm just hoping the game doesn't lose all its steam after two months. As for me, I'm hyped to hell for the game. I think it'll turn out great. Will it push systems for Sony? I have no idea. I'm thinking no, but I could be wrong. I think a Little Big Planet+Resistance 2 combo could really do some damage though.

I'm not really sure what to think of Braid. I checked out the demo. The music and art were really cool. Was it the best game of all time? I really don't think so. It seems this game is getting hyped up the ass. Braid will probably fall into the "OMG you don't like Braid? What the hell is wrong with you?" category of games. I'm not really sure it deserves it, but I'll reserve my full judgement until I buy it.

$40 for Banjo is a big reason why I'm picking the game up. I was interested in it before, but that price put me over the edge. The game looks interesting and you can't beat that price. I wish more games would come out at $40. I see a lot of games out there now that I want to pick up but not for 60 bones.

As for the video podcasting, how about Cheapy D goes around Japan and does some crazy Japanese shit, and Wombat can maybe talk about a game or current news story (like he was saying about G4's Soapbox)? Maybe review a game he is currently playing, or talk about a game he really liked?

I'd totally watch Cheapy in Akiba. Good luck video taping the stores though. Most of the ones I've seen are super clandestine. But, no joke, I'd watch that shit daily. DAILY.

Remember when you said you tried to get a reality show when you headed to Japan? Well.. now is your chance. Do it yourself.

Very great CAGcast

I think Cheapy should do his "Your man in Japan" segments as a video podcast
even something as simple as..."This is where I get my favorite ramen" would be great
small little consistent videos would own.

Wombat you should do something too like a day some up of your gay job/life (not gay life)

Maybe on your way home from work?

[quote name='AwRy108']By "over blowing" a scenario, you're making yourself just as filthy as the evening news covering Mass Effect. Don't do that.[/quote]

Wow. Really? Get over it. The Cagcast is awesome and one of the things that makes it great are these discussions Wombat and Cheapy have, the idea of penis levels popping up all over LBP over PSN is hilarious. Everyone has an opionion, including Wombat, and you just can't stand the fact that someone isn't as impressed with a game as you are and are a bit skepticle about it. I personally can't wait for LBP and will be buying a PS3 for it, that doesn't mean I can't respect someone elses opionon about the game, it's obviously not for everyone.

Regarding Live Vs PSN, what makes you think PSN is anymore mature? The only difference is the 360 includes a Mic, where as the PS3 does not. Microsoft has made voice communication the norm on their online community, Sony still hasn't figured it out. Had Sony included a Mic and great voice communication support like MS and better online support it would increase the ammount of people playing their games on the PSN, more people using mic's obviously, and along with that more retards and prepubescent kids.

Well look at it like this I don't know about the proliferation of phallic shapes in Forge but look at Spore. How many walking phallus monsters did we get with Spore?

to wombat

so you think that Little Big Planet will not be very popular for a general audience because of the user-generated content of said audience

little catch-22 situation there, don't you think?

[quote name='misterine']I have a question regarding about the contest
If i submitted a voicemail on the last contest it's saved over right?[/quote]
No, it's a new contest.
[quote name='lwelyk']Hey Cheapy, just a quick FYI, your skype for the contest isn't working.[/quote]Fixed.

[quote name='SnarkFish']to wombat

so you think that Little Big Planet will not be very popular for a general audience because of the user-generated content of said audience

little catch-22 situation there, don't you think?[/quote]other way around. in order for LBP to be massively popular. (system selling popular) it needs the UGC of people who won't be that interested until the UGC is there.even then these people won't necessarily contribute to MORE UGC.

[quote name='Wolfkin']other way around. in order for LBP to be massively popular. (system selling popular) it needs the UGC of people who won't be that interested until the UGC is there.even then these people won't necessarily contribute to MORE UGC.[/quote]
didn't he go on to say something about a small group of people who will buy the game no matter what. that some of them would put out some quality levels

i think there will be some of them
and some general audience, a small part of whom will immediately create sophomoric levels but i think there will be at least as many that create good, if not equivalent to some professional levels.

then the good content will be there to draw in a bigger audience, which will then create more good stuff and more crap. even if it gets to the point where the user-generated content is inundated with crap, it will have attracted a healthy audience that will have some great user-generated levels.

i agree that it will probably outlive it's novelty and lose a chunk of the audience, but i think it will have been a victim of its own success, not fizzle out at the start

edit: ok, maybe i misunderstood the point. i think he specifically disagreed with the notion that LBP would sell consoles (not units, which i think is how i took it)

with all the hype even if it's bad I think we could all agree at least that it will sell units. the basis of any of our arguments isn't will it 'make a profit' but will it 'sell so much it moves consoles'. It's hard to think of a parallel example to what I think or even an anti-parallel.

I will personally concede the point LBP could start off slow and when all the gamers start making levels ramp up to a major/mainstream units. Possibly even system seller status.

[quote name='Wolfkin']with all the hype even if it's bad I think we could all agree at least that it will sell units. the basis of any of our arguments isn't will it 'make a profit' but will it 'sell so much it moves consoles'. It's hard to think of a parallel example to what I think or even an anti-parallel.

I will personally concede the point LBP could start off slow and when all the gamers start making levels ramp up to a major/mainstream units. Possibly even system seller status.[/quote]

It definitely has the potential to have huge "legs" if people see that users are actually making worthwhile content at the level of "professional" game developers.

That was another thing that drove me nuts about Wombat's "argument." He says that he wants levels made by professionals, but that isn't exactly a guarantee of quality, as we can see by many terrible games made by professionals. Hell, I was a professional at one point! So await my levels with thighs a-quivering!

(I made terrible games for children, in case you wanted to ask)

Also, someone in this thread echoed Wombat's sentiment that he would rather edit the character and play it in a real level, rather than vice versa. I believe that you CAN edit your character with all kinds of fluffery. Though I'm sure Wombat prefers the manly men of Rainbow Six: Vegas to Sackboy. I love the 'Bat, but he was seriously negative for no reason. Assuming the worst, and arguing against that, is absolutely ridiculous from a logical standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I can enjoy the CAGcast the same way I did before now that I know Wombat is a Jets fan. Patriots going to destroy Farve in Week 2

Besides that, I really enjoyed the podcast. I started listening at 127 and have really enjoyed it.

Quick question:

Apparently Sony is trying to get the Sack-Boy thing to be the new mascot on the PS3. Do you think that will help Sony at all with attracting the younger demographic/casual gamers, since they are falling behind with Microsoft's announcements at E3 and Nintendo previous selling out to Soccer Moms

[quote name='orko60']It definitely has the potential to have huge "legs" if people see that users are actually making worthwhile content at the level of "professional" game developers.

That was another thing that drove me nuts about Wombat's "argument." He says that he wants levels made by professionals, but that isn't exactly a guarantee of quality, as we can see by many terrible games made by professionals. Hell, I was a professional at one point! So await my levels with thighs a-quivering!

(I made terrible games for children, in case you wanted to ask)

Also, someone in this thread echoed Wombat's sentiment that he would rather edit the character and play it in a real level, rather than vice versa. I believe that you CAN edit your character with all kinds of fluffery. Though I'm sure Wombat prefers the manly men of Rainbow Six: Vegas to Sackboy. I love the 'Bat, but he was seriously negative for no reason. Assuming the worst, and arguing against that, is absolutely ridiculous from a logical standpoint.[/QUOTE]

actually I really like the Sackboy. I think he's really cute and perfect mascot for Sony, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwelyk
Hey Cheapy, just a quick FYI, your skype for the contest isn't working.

Fixed.

I still can't get the voicemail to pickup. It just quits. I'll try again tomorrow.

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']Apparently Sony is trying to get the Sack-Boy thing to be the new mascot on the PS3. Do you think that will help Sony at all with attracting the younger demographic/casual gamers, since they are falling behind with Microsoft's announcements at E3 and Nintendo previous selling out to Soccer Moms[/quote]Sackboy as the Sony Mascot would definitely help. I'm sure Sony and MSoft would kill for a Mascot like Mario.. or heck even one like Kirby. It'll never happen though. I'd take that bet right now. LBP would have to be insanely popular for that. Too many obstacles: Depends too much on user-content, PS3s are too expensive, it's really late in the Sony Lifeline for a mascot.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Sackboy as the Sony Mascot would definitely help. I'm sure Sony and MSoft would kill for a Mascot like Mario.. or heck even one like Kirby. It'll never happen though. I'd take that bet right now. LBP would have to be insanely popular for that. Too many obstacles: Depends too much on user-content, PS3s are too expensive, it's really late in the Sony Lifeline for a mascot.[/quote]
I consider Master Chief a good mascot for MSoft, and like Mario for Nintendo. That's because these mascosts represent the type of games their systems are best at. Mario represents the Fun Platforming game that has intricate levels and is fun for all ages, while Master Chief represents shooting games that has built Microsoft from a new player to dominate machine in only a few short years. Sackboy represents a completely customizable game with a cute little mascot. When I think PS3, I think High Tech Stuff, like Graphics, Blu-Ray player, and RPGs like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Obviously this would not work due to Square Enix putting some of it's bigger games on bothe the PS3 and the 360. But still, Playstation has plenty of reputable franchises to not have to go with some Sack thing..

Odds are they'll try it for a year or so, and it'll die out like Daxter did (What happened to Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper. Those and Ratchet and Clank I thought were 3 decent-selling titles,why did they not release any of J+D/Sly?). They weren't exactly the best suited for being Mascosts for Playstation, but with all the advertising you'd think that would do something once the new console launched and PS3 lost virtually all of it's notable exclusive titles

Yeah I really don't see why Ratchet and Clank are not the mascots for the PS3. I know they are owned by Insomniac but Sony could "lease" them...

[quote name='willardhaven']Yeah I really don't see why Ratchet and Clank are not the mascots for the PS3. I know they are owned by Insomniac but Sony could "lease" them...[/quote]

Insomniac owns Ratchet & Clank, just like they owned the Spyro series. I swore I read an article a few years ago with Sony stating that they do not want a single Mascot for there console. They believe that the Playstation Brand has a wide variety of games, and to pick just on Mascot is not the thing to do. Also, from a marketing point, if someone just drops $400 on a PS3 and all they see is Ratchet and Clank or Sackboy, that may hurt sales. Those are kiddie figures, they do not want people to think that all they make are kid games. I am speaking in a General Publics point of view.

I also think Sony may be bitter about Mascot's. Back when the Original Playstation came out all magazines gave Crash as the Sony Mascot. Nintendo had Mario, Sega had Sonic, and the gaming media designated Crash to Sony. We all know what happened to Crash, Universal took him and Spyro and whored them out on the competitors systems. So I feel that may be another reason why Sony is reluctant to have a Mascot.

Also, Sony seems to be coming out with more first party games, some of them are ok and others take off. Nintendo and Sega seem to work there mascots to death. Look what has become of Sonic now, I do not know anyone who likes to play him anymore. Mario is being whored out all over the place and I am tired of there sub-par games. If Sega and Nintendo did not have a mascot, we may be able to see more first party titles by them. They know what sells, and they just re-hash the franchise over and over.

Sony did a great job on the PS2 with first party titles, they had way more first party titles than Nintendo or Microsoft. If Sony depended on Crash to this day, I would be tired of Crash. I love Ratchet and Clank, though they did make an appearance four times on the PS2, while Jak and Daxter also made four appearances on the console. So, yes Sony seems to be pumping out these titles more than Sly Cooper, Mark of Kri, The Getaway, Primal, Buzz, Downhill Domination, God of War, Ico, Killzone, Okage, Rogue Galaxy, Singstar, Siren, Sky Odyssey, and Socom. These are all new franchises that debuted on the PS2. So, choosing one mascot can be a pain, even when you are workiong on new franchises.

[quote name='Davestation']Insomniac owns Ratchet & Clank, just like they owned the Spyro series. I swore I read an article a few years ago with Sony stating that they do not want a single Mascot for there console. They believe that the Playstation Brand has a wide variety of games, and to pick just on Mascot is not the thing to do. Also, from a marketing point, if someone just drops $400 on a PS3 and all they see is Ratchet and Clank or Sackboy, that may hurt sales. Those are kiddie figures, they do not want people to think that all they make are kid games. I am speaking in a General Publics point of view.

I also think Sony may be bitter about Mascot's. Back when the Original Playstation came out all magazines gave Crash as the Sony Mascot. Nintendo had Mario, Sega had Sonic, and the gaming media designated Crash to Sony. We all know what happened to Crash, Universal took him and Spyro and whored them out on the competitors systems. So I feel that may be another reason why Sony is reluctant to have a Mascot.

Also, Sony seems to be coming out with more first party games, some of them are ok and others take off. Nintendo and Sega seem to work there mascots to death. Look what has become of Sonic now, I do not know anyone who likes to play him anymore. Mario is being whored out all over the place and I am tired of there sub-par games. If Sega and Nintendo did not have a mascot, we may be able to see more first party titles by them. They know what sells, and they just re-hash the franchise over and over.

Sony did a great job on the PS2 with first party titles, they had way more first party titles than Nintendo or Microsoft. If Sony depended on Crash to this day, I would be tired of Crash. I love Ratchet and Clank, though they did make an appearance four times on the PS2, while Jak and Daxter also made four appearances on the console. So, yes Sony seems to be pumping out these titles more than Sly Cooper, Mark of Kri, The Getaway, Primal, Buzz, Downhill Domination, God of War, Ico, Killzone, Okage, Rogue Galaxy, Singstar, Siren, Sky Odyssey, and Socom. These are all new franchises that debuted on the PS2. So, choosing one mascot can be a pain, even when you are workiong on new franchises.[/quote]

You have to admit though, Ratchet and Clank make more sense to be Playstation's mascot than Sackboy...

bread's done
Back