CAGcast #130: Joe Schmoe's Penis World

Sackboy has great potential to be a mascot for Sony, but i'm not sure Sony would really develop them to be mascots for them. they do have some sort of mass appeal but i've never seen Sony really try to develop a mascot of any kind. i think the closest was Crash Bandicoot during the PS1 days. anyone else?

Master Chief is a big MSoft brand icon but I wouldn't consider him Mascot worthy personally even if he is 'representative'.

J/D, R/C, SC - all good potential mascots but i think opportunity passed.

Hey Cheapy - about your video idea; I would like to see a "Foods of Japan" video blog. Restaurants, bars, snacks, vending machines, etc. I don't know why the subject fascinates me but it does.

Great or not, I really doubt that a single game, such as LBP, will sell a $400 game system. When the PS3 gets down to $250 or less, then we can talk about "system sellers".

I was really wanting a PS3 for a while (and an HDTV), but I've lost interest in the idea. I don't have a 360 either (and have far less interest in one of those). My kids (yeah, right) will be getting a Wii for xmas, and I am looking forward to it. I guess I'm not a "core gamer", as you call it. Yeah, LBP would be fun, and I would like to have the option of downloadable content in RB (I have the PS2 version), but in the end, I don't really play RB that much (I haven't even unlocked all the built-in songs yet), and I'm looking forward just as much or more to stuff available and coming out for the Wii. At the moment, in fact, my primary gaming system seems to be becoming my iPod touch. I guess that's your proof right there. I've always got it with me and it always has my games on it - there's no discs to load and you can start and stop at any point in pretty much any game and pick it up right where you left off again later even if you play something else in between.

I feel in a similar way with my DS and I don't even use my R4 all that much. I have about 3 DS games and about 10 GBA games I haven't touched and I'll probably finish Tales of Phantasia:gba: before I get thru my next gamecube game.

I was sort-of disappointed that you guys discussed Braid in the podcast, but didn't discuss one of the most genius parts, the ending. What gives?, because that ending sequence is SO AMAZING and deepens the plot. What is your opinion of it?

[quote name='Wolfkin']whoa.. spoilers? and wombat didn't finish?[/quote]
comon, most people who already bought the game finished it, and who is it spoilers saying the ending was awesome?
And still, Cheapy should have at least pushed the topic of the end.

spoilers - not you as50193 if they talk about the ending that's spoilers. Personally I don't really care I don't plan on buying an XBox until they stop charging to play online but I imaging that spoiler is the reason the ending isn't discussed. that and the fact that the co-host hasn't gotten to the end.

it's similar to the lack of Dark Knight discussion. again one of the co-hosts hasn't seen the movie so discussing it is kinda useless until then.

[quote name='CheapyD']No, it's a new contest.
Fixed.[/quote]
Thanks, now I get the voicemail message, but it'll stop recording my message after 1 second... This happened last time. Does anyone have an idea as to why it does this?

Wombat makes fun of user created levels, but I used to have a blast back in the day with levels for Quake and Doom. I never got very good at the game as I would play using god mode (invincible) and would download and play tons of new user created levels. What a great way to extend the life of a game!

I dont think Wombat was making fun of the idea of the user created levels so much as the users. A lot of people (me for example) are incredibly immature and love to prove their immaturity as much as possible to others.

There's nothing wrong with UGC... I mean I'm sure a lot of us have played Starcraft II. There's a ton of fun stuff on there. I remember people making DBZ role playing games out of starcraft maps.

I totally agree with Wombat 100% about Little Big Planet .

I'll be getting Banjo Kazooie for $39.99 .

I liked LEGOs as a kid [still do] .
I'd rather create something with pre-existing parts rather than from scratch .
Although there is more pride that comes from creating from scratch .

Oh yeah, forgot to say Wombat was 100% right with everything he said about LBP. It won't move consoles because it will be only bought be the hardcore. Casuals (and younger players) probably won't get a PS3 for 1 game, and usually would rather have a 360 to play halo or a wii. And there will be a lot of penis levels.

[quote name='as50193']Oh yeah, forgot to say Wombat was 100% right with everything he said about LBP. It won't move consoles because it will be only bought be the hardcore. Casuals (and younger players) probably won't get a PS3 for 1 game, and usually would rather have a 360 to play halo or a wii. And there will be a lot of penis levels.[/quote]

Yeah, why would they buy a PS3 for one game, when they can buy a 360 for Halo, or a Wii for Wii Sports? Very clear logic there, my friend.

Do you really think that people will take the time to learn how to make levels, just to make a bunch of penises? Those levels will quickly fall by the wayside, anyway, in favor of better content.

I have to agree with Wombat's tempered enthusiasm for Little Big Planet. The game looks fantastic, but the focus on user generated content takes some wind out of it's sails for me.

I'm not sure how exactly to explain it, but when a developer touts user generated content as a feature for a game, I feel as if I'm getting a somewhat unfinished product. While this may not be the case, I cant shake the thought that if the developers weren't using their time to make these 'game creating' tools they could have been building more actual content for the game.

I only have a limited amount of time during the week to play games, and for me personally, I'd rather spend that time PLAYING them as opposed to building them. While I'm sure these creation tools appeal to a lot of people, Wombat and I can't be the only two who have no use for them.

That being said, I do have to disagree with Wombat's assumption that we'll only see penis levels in LBP. I'm quite sure there will be a few vagina levels thrown into the mix.

Actually, I'm sure some of the levels we see in LBP will rival those that ship with the game. I just hope the game makes it easy to identify and locate the non genital-themed levels.

great show as always

ps - Cheapy, have you ever realized just how many times you say 'anyway Wombat' during a Cagcast? You should try mixing it up a bit. Here are some suggestions:

"Are you finished?"
"I'm not listening to you"
"Where you just talking?"
"Don't you know that only things I say are relevant?"
"You're babbeling again"
"Are you still here?"

Try some of these suggestions out, it should help to spice up the way you repeatedly dismiss your co-hosts comments. :)

CheapyD and Wombat, I have to say I highly disagree with your opinions on RE5 being called racist and to clear up some misunderstandigs portrayed by the CAG who wrote in the question. To my knowledge it was N'Gai from LevelUp who first raised the matter and at no point did he say the game itself was racist but rather the trailer for RE5 and that regardless of intent the trailer's content contained what he called classic racist imagery with a long history and had the creators of the trailer had any knowledge of the subject they would have probably used a different angle when cutting the trailer.

At no point does N'Gai criticize the game content itself and even cites that the zombies themselves aren't the issue, he goes into great detail on how the portrayal of blacks in the trailer touched on themes that have been used in the past to negatively depict Blacks and should have been left alone. He also cites an example saying that if a game came out "set in Europe in the 1940’s with skinny, emaciated, Hasidic-looking people" that would have drawn immediate attention and is simply wrong.

I'm only skinning the surface here, and feel free to hit the links to the source, but the point is if N'Gai's critics take the time to actually read the arguments being made they would not be so quick to dismiss them. As you pointed out yourself the last RE5 trailer is in much better taste and at least now they made efforts to remove the questionable imagery.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008...nt-evil-5-trailer-this-imagery-has-a-history/

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2008/04/race-and-resident-evil-5-trailer.html

[quote name='orko60']Yeah, why would they buy a PS3 for one game, when they can buy a 360 for Halo, or a Wii for Wii Sports? Very clear logic there, my friend.

Do you really think that people will take the time to learn how to make levels, just to make a bunch of penises? Those levels will quickly fall by the wayside, anyway, in favor of better content.[/QUOTE]

You're good to go , for that SDF promotion , you've had your sights set on .

We're talkin' corner office and the whole 9 .:applause:

[quote name='XTommyDonX']A new video podcast of about 10-15 minutes each would be a very nice addition to the weekly shows. Even if you two aren't communicating directly, a "Sessler's Soapbox" type video comming from both of your perspectives would be a great idea. Why not spread the greatness of CheapAssGamer through more than one form of media.

These would be available through iTunes right?[/quote]

that would be really cool but on youtube.

Wombat how can you say there is no black people in Top Gun. I guess Clarence Darnell Gilyard, Jr. role as "Sundown" doesn't count. If you don't remember him, he is the ass kicking sidekick James Trivette in "Walker Texas Ranger."

I can't count how many times I've driven past a house with a barely used exercise bike, treadmill, solarflex, stairmaster, etc. sitting on the curb. That's how I expect to acquire a Wii Fit someday.

Ok guys, you convinced me to sign up for a digg account just so I could help you beat out the 1upShow. I hope that you will have them beat by the next show!

Oh yeah, I was in complete agreement with Wombat that Wii Fit was a fad back when the hype machine was going and now this survey justifies his view. I think we'll be hearing more stories, studies, and anecdotes like this as time goes on.

[quote name='Richlough']You're good to go , for that SDF promotion , you've had your sights set on .

We're talkin' corner office and the whole 9 .:applause:[/quote]

Huh? The guy I quoted specifically said that he wouldn't buy a PS3 for "one game," but would have no problem buying a 360 for Halo, which is also one game. I was just pointing out his faulty logic.

I'm more on the LBPDF, anyway.

I can't remember if I posted this in here, but this week's CAGcast was the funnest podcast I have heard in a while (and I listen to many podcasts regularly).

[quote name='orko60']Huh? The guy I quoted specifically said that he wouldn't buy a PS3 for "one game," but would have no problem buying a 360 for Halo, which is also one game. I was just pointing out his faulty logic.

I'm more on the LBPDF, anyway.[/QUOTE]

Just got home from work and I was in a bad mood . ;)

[quote name='sinewav']At no point does N'Gai criticize the game content itself and even cites that the zombies themselves aren't the issue,http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2008/04/race-and-resident-evil-5-trailer.html[/quote]
"“Wow, clearly no one black worked on this game.” - N'Gai Croal

If this is a guy who is choosing his words carefully then that's a pretty clear criticism of the game itself.

I did read the original article back in the day (not that I remember all of it and i don't care to bother with that again) and I'm not saying Croal is crazy or out of his mind with paranoia or anything but on the whole I felt he was leaning a bit far into the "Joss Whedon is a rapist" category.

[quote name='Wolfkin']"“Wow, clearly no one black worked on this game.” - N'Gai Croal

If this is a guy who is choosing his words carefully then that's a pretty clear criticism of the game itself.

I did read the original article back in the day (not that I remember all of it and i don't care to bother with that again) and I'm not saying Croal is crazy or out of his mind with paranoia or anything but on the whole I felt he was leaning a bit far into the "Joss Whedon is a rapist" category.[/quote]

I think the issue, as brought up by Shawn Elliot on GFW Radio podcast, is that the citizens of the town are huddled in darkness, never shown as human or possibly good. Had there been a shot of children playing, or people shopping in the market, etc, the criticism would have lost validity. As it stands, it upholds the attitude espoused in literature like "Heart of Darkness," where the "negro" is a savage who knows no happiness or civility.

The problem isn't the shooting of black people, but the encapsulating attitude that the game's environment displays. Replacing them with lighter-skinned enemies is not the solution.

Personally, I don't care either way. The game looks fucking tits.

Hey Cheapy, I've got a great idea for a second podcast. You guys should do one about video games! Talk about games you've been playing, video game deals, video game news, in depth reviews of new titles, etc.

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but on this episode alone, you don't start talking about video games until the TWENTY SEVEN MINUTE mark. Meanwhile, on the latest episode of Giantbombcast, they start talking games at around a minute thirty. I'm a long time fan, but with the limited amount of time I have each week to listen to podcasts (which I love), I really just want to hear about video games. Giantbomb and Joystiq have entered regular rotation, meanwhile I'm three shows behind on the CAGCast... Maybe it's time to find some focus? Or start a second show and move all the Cheapy and Wombat's extracurricular activity talk to that show. You can show us where you shit and what you ate there, meanwhile we can hear the great chemistry and insight we've come to love from you guys while talking ABOUT VIDEOGAMES.

I miss you guys... *sniff... please consider this suggestion...

It keeps things interesting.

Otherwise this thread would be nothing more than "I agree Cheapy, may I lick your asshole some more?"

Grr. I am torn. I really want to enter the new Gamestop contest, and I have a legitimate in-store pick-up entry, but I nearly died trying to shill for them on the last one.

It's tough to talk about how convenient they are on the one hand, when on the other I go into the store to use the 25% off gamecube games coupon and the teller is a slobbering moron who tried to tell me that Mario Party 7 (my daughter and her friends love this game, so I figured I'd get it for her) needs multiple microphones to work.

"You can do it with two, but it really works best with four."

Me: "Four microphones? Really? You notice that they don't plug into the controller ports, and that there's only two slots they can go into, and one of them is needed for the memory card. You can tell that by looking at it, really."

"You need them to go head to head. Think about it."

Me: "If you HAD to have two microphones to get by, why would the original packaging of the game (and it's basically criminal that you don't sell these already overpriced copies WITH a microphone out of common decency) -- why would it only come with one?"

"Because you would already have one microphone from Mario Party 6"

Me: "You're joking."

On other CAGcast related notes, Cheapy should only do it if A.) his creative muse just won't let him sleep unless he does it, or B.) He can monetize it by dropping an ad into it to justify his taking time away from his other more pressing CAG administrative duties, like ushering in CAG 2.0

Great show!! but could have been much better without NEGATIVE wombat. Maybe TRY changing your own diaper because it sounded like you had a steaming load of crap in your pants the entire show.

[quote name='AwRy108']Thankfully, the latter are both smart enough to at least explain themselves when making such bold statements. Sometime Wombat's head gets a bit too big for his shoulders as a result of being allowed to be part of the CAGcast.[/quote]

Wow... Sorry to join the hate parade, but get over yourself, dude.

I really like Wombat. I think he's totally entitled to his opinions, some of which I do happen to agree with. If I wanted positive hype without any kind of tempered enthusiasm, I'd read press releases and company websites.

And I don't think Wombat has a big head, either. Cripes.

I think the people attacking Wombat are the ones who need their diapers changed.

I'm normally right with Wombat, but this show he seemed a bit more antagonistic than usual, and with some misinformation.

[quote name='callmesteam']Hey Cheapy, I've got a great idea for a second podcast. You guys should do one about video games! Talk about games you've been playing, video game deals, video game news, in depth reviews of new titles, etc.

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but on this episode alone, you don't start talking about video games until the TWENTY SEVEN MINUTE mark. Meanwhile, on the latest episode of Giantbombcast, they start talking games at around a minute thirty. I'm a long time fan, but with the limited amount of time I have each week to listen to podcasts (which I love), I really just want to hear about video games. Giantbomb and Joystiq have entered regular rotation, meanwhile I'm three shows behind on the CAGCast... Maybe it's time to find some focus? Or start a second show and move all the Cheapy and Wombat's extracurricular activity talk to that show. You can show us where you shit and what you ate there, meanwhile we can hear the great chemistry and insight we've come to love from you guys while talking ABOUT VIDEOGAMES.

I miss you guys... *sniff... please consider this suggestion...[/quote]

I've been listening to the cagcast for a while and it's been like that since I can remember. Personally I love the format of the show because I'd much rather hear about pizza guy or smoking in the back of a cab in cali than some shovelware that noone cares about.

The only GiantBomb show I'd listened to spent the first ten miutes going on about fucking hemp milk. I kept fast forwarding, but it went on and on.

By the time they talked about games it was to tell us that PixelJunk Eden wasn't actually a game.

So, yeah, stick to the CAG format, please. It's one of the better-produced podcasts around.

Eh, that's why I like the Bombcast... as well as the CAGcast in the way that they talk about games but will talk about totally random shit as well.

I really recommend Game Zone Radio, it's now my third podcast I listen to on a normal basis.

Wombat had me yelling at my car stereo this episode. Little Big Planet as a full game. It just also has an extremely robust level creator that everyone is talking about. I didn't hear him complain about any other game that happened to have a level creator, saying that he likes his games complete. Cheapy really needs to get Shipwreck to be the 3rd man on a regular basis because he brings a lot more games to the table, games I care more about. And that means less time that Wombat can talk.

Also, definetly do a video podcast Cheapy! I would subscribe in a second.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I really like Wombat. I think he's totally entitled to his opinions, some of which I do happen to agree with. If I wanted positive hype without any kind of tempered enthusiasm, I'd read press releases and company websites.

I think the people attacking Wombat are the ones who need their diapers changed.[/quote]

QFT

On a side note, this is now the fifth week of giveaways on the CAGcast and I thought that any bugs would have been worked out by now. Each and every week I try to enter via Skype, I always get a "voicemail failed" error or it connects and cuts out before I can record my message. :cry:

It's getting ridiculous. Scratch that, five weeks of not being able to enter is ridiculous. Is this some sort of sinister plot by fellow forum members to limit the pool of entries for the gift cards? :boxing:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess people are really anticipating and loving LBP! I suppose I didn't realize. I hadn't expected Wombat's thoughts to so polarize people. You guys don't think it's okay for him to be skeptical about something that isn't out yet? Some of you seem to be prematurely rating LBP an 11.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse (ick), but I still understand Wombat's point. I want professionals designing my levels, too. If there is a lot of great stuff "packed-in" with LBP, cool, and if lots of the user-created stuff is great, cool. That's a nice value. But if not, I mean... I sure as hell ain't gonna be creating levels...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']If there is a lot of great stuff "packed-in" with LBP, cool, and if lots of the user-created stuff is great, cool. That's a nice value.[/quote]

There is. That's where the misinformation came in.

I don't have a problem with people having strong opinions. Normally he's less inclined to those kinds of obstinate positions, but he seemed a bit ornery that episode.

I also didn't read most of the thread, so I have no idea if people have already taken more than their pound of flesh from him - but I suspect that's the case with this being the internet. The issue ain't worth twenty lashes, but it's worth noting.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I really like Wombat. I think he's totally entitled to his opinions, some of which I do happen to agree with. If I wanted positive hype without any kind of tempered enthusiasm, I'd read press releases and company websites.

I think the people attacking Wombat are the ones who need their diapers changed.[/quote]

Wombat is great for the show, and I appreciate his opinions for the CAGcast.

My main complaint about the guy during the CAGcast is Wombat's constant need to be involved in everything. I just wish Wombat's CAGcast persona was a little bit more humble. I don't always agree with Wombat but I really like to hear his perspective. Just not that 'what can you do for me' attitude.

Oh, and I'm all for a video CAGcast or a CheapBox segment, but only if you don't take away from the CAGcast, which I enjoy even at 90-120 min. CAGcast rules!

I really like the pizza guy stories. I think he should come on the CAGcast and tell us about his experience in jail, and his other alcoholic adventures. As long as they aren't too depressing. I wish I could eat some of his Japanese NYC pizza here in Chicagoland.

[quote name='tcolberg']QFT

On a side note, this is now the fifth week of giveaways on the CAGcast and I thought that any bugs would have been worked out by now. Each and every week I try to enter via Skype, I always get a "voicemail failed" error or it connects and cuts out before I can record my message. :cry:

It's getting ridiculous. Scratch that, five weeks of not being able to enter is ridiculous. Is this some sort of sinister plot by fellow forum members to limit the pool of entries for the gift cards? :boxing:[/quote]

Totally agree. I use Skype all the time. I have the latest version. But I too always get the dreaded "Voicemail Failed." I've never even got to the part where it cuts out. I just get the failed maessage every time. Maybe I can try and steal some long distance from work and enter using the reg-lar old telephone.

bread's done
Back