CAGcast #139: CheapyD's (un)Sexy Adventure

Cheapy's Love Hotel Wii Q3 2009
MotionPlus compatible

Wii is successful because it's unique and fun and a mainstream experience. The 360 is no substitute for anybody looking for a Wii. The 360 pricecut won't change that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show, Wombat, and Cheapy!

Cheapy, I'm sad to see that you're interest for Little Big Planet has somewhat dimished; especially, it was you who convinced me to try the game out. I have to admit, I was skeptical about the game, but after trying it out, I have to say I love it, and the created levels have been very good. I think its just you got overhyped for LBP.

Wombat, I wish you could be in charge of Sega, they don't know you... But they NEED YOU! Sega has a lot to offer, when they became a software only company, I felt like they would become as strong as EA, they had a sports franchise(s), they had great IP(s), lots of potential. Since becoming software only, I mean, they're performance has been poor. They've managed to lose their sports franchise, Sonic IP has been diminished, and they aren't fully capitalizing on their great IPs. (i.e. Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, online co-op 2D side scrollers in HD, both with redrawn graphics) The success of Castle Crashers is the proof that Sega could do well off some beat em ups. But back to your point, Sega will cater to any and everyone, but the fans.

Sony for the holiday season I feel will do well, will they break even - NO, but you do have to stop the bleeding; Walmart has the 100 dollar gift card deal coming back, and I think that the retailers may come with some creative deals to get the PS3s to move. However, the biggest issue with the PS3 (and this is Sony's responsibility to clarify) is that 399.99 for an 80gb PS3 is not anywhere equivalent to an 199.99 360. A PS3 for 399.99 should come with some free games so it can compete with the xboxs higher end model and not with the base model.

The question that needs to be asked, for 399 whose giving the best deal? Right now I'd have to say its the 360 because it comes with two games, headset AND a bigger harddrive.

[quote name='yukine']Uh, are you sure Osaka Grandma can't view those pictures? I went straight to your Flickr page and didn't click on any special links and those love hotel pictures are showing up.[/quote]
How did you get to my flickr page?

[quote name='CheapyD']How did you get to my flickr page?[/quote]
Nothing to fear, it must of saved that special code from the last time I visited your Flickr? As when I went to the Flickr page in Internet Explorer the pictures didn't show up and also when I deleted my cache in Firefox.

Just trying to watch your back. ;)

[quote name='KingBroly']You can just click on the image and it takes you there, Cheapy.[/quote]Right...that's ok. It's supposed to do that.

This weeks show is packed with epicness. Oh an lovely picture Cheapy xD Looks like a comfortable.. uh.. position.

cheapy, when you said that you were getting mirror's edge for ps3 just because people are getting angry just because you play the 360 most of the time i got fustrated .. big deal, for god sakes you have the system isnt that enough for the ps3 "fanboys". just play a game on any system you want. i personally own all 3 and i enjoy them without people telling me what game to play them on. first they bitch that you dont do anything and now they want you to play on a systen they want you to. whats next they decide when you are able to go to the bathroom? i know you are trying to keep your fans happy but damn.

Wombat, regarding the whole P.E.T.A. situation... I think it's a bit different when requesting a company like Sega to get rid of a "controversial" advertisement and having them totally re-haul a game. My point being is that it would of cost Sega a lot more to do one instead of the other. Yeah, Sega basically gave us the finger with Beast Rider, but if they really cared about the opinion of their loyal, old-school customers, they wouldn't of went in that direction to begin with.

wombat is right: The Beatles transcend generation differences. I am 18 and i freaking love the beatles and will definitely be buying the game day of no matter what the stupid flower guitars and shit they stick in there.

Great show as always gentleman. Well as for some feedback on the show i gotta say im defiantly looking forward to a Beatles game seeing as my grandfather was their tailor. So i guess im sorta biased though. I would still prefer it delivered as dlc unless they do like wombat suggested and did Beatles instruments. If you actually read this feedback on next week show i will record myself eating a hat, and put the video on youtube. Have a good week guys.

[quote name='HeadRusch']"Which room does the freakishly large gaijin come with....??"[/quote]

Hee hee now THAT is funny.

I do think you're selling LittleBigPlanet way short, and as a father of 2.8 kids I absolutely know why. You're rushing it and you're probably playing alone.

You need to kind of relax a bit more when coming to it and allow its charming look, feel and sound work on you. If you're intense thinking "I hardly have time for any games I need to get my gaming fix for 20 minutes before I have to go pick up Tai!" or something like that you won't be in the right mindset.

Playing alone is pretty good but you absolutely have more fun with friends in this game. Playing through the single-player Media Molecule levels with friends is the best experience right now, but there are a small but growing number of user-made levels that are fun experiences.

It does get really, really challenging towards the end on the MM levels, especially given the jumping issues some have grumbled about.

I LOL'd at the sound effect of imagining a sake-slammed Wombat hurling on a hibachi grill. It was awful but that sizzle was perfectly placed.

By the way great work on your son, he's looking wonderful!

And keep up the Cheapy-Wombat sparring on the podcast. Are you posting daily in your blog yet?

[quote name='x2k-one']cheapy, when you said that you were getting mirror's edge for ps3 just because people are getting angry just because you play the 360 most of the time i got fustrated .. big deal, for god sakes you have the system isnt that enough for the ps3 "fanboys". just play a game on any system you want. i personally own all 3 and i enjoy them without people telling me what game to play them on. first they bitch that you dont do anything and now they want you to play on a systen they want you to. whats next they decide when you are able to go to the bathroom? i know you are trying to keep your fans happy but damn.[/QUOTE]

PS3 fanboys are the new Nintendo fanboys....rabidly angry that the PS3 has turned into the system it has become, pissed off that the Wii outsells everything.....angry that the 360 seems to wind up with better ports and the games arrive on time, pissed that every exclusive that comes out for the PS3 does not seem to launch the system into the #1 system status and be that "greatest game ever" that they smack on every release.......LBP..nope, sorry. LAIR...pass....Resistance? Ehhh.....

Pretty soon they'll get to be angry that the PS3 isn't even the best value in BD players anymore......

They are an angry lot...

Great show again guys!

I do not post a lot on the CAG forum but I'm a LONG time listener and I just wanted to say DON'T CHANGE!
I listen to the CAGcast because you live across the world and wombat to (for me than because I live in the EU).
I love the off topic stories and that is the most important reason I listen to you guys, off course the game stuff is important to but that is different because if I want pure game info, I would listen only to 1upyours, joystiq or giantbombcast.
Its the combination between fun and information that makes you guys have a great podcast, cheapy you should do a little more bloging if only the entertain the people, and wombat I hope your financial problem is resolved quickly, just pick up games cheap and don't go OUT for dinner/lunch to often maybe pack a lunch now or then ;) just a suggestion.

Anyway keep up the great work and plz think about your international audience a little more often when it comes to gaming, pc games and the EU are markets to you can talk about.

Cheapy, i don't think you need to get worked up over Robert Ashley's comments on the 1Up PC podcast. Ashley usually likes to make sarcastic comments or break people's balls on their podcasts so i think he was just joking. Ashley actually recommended CAG on 1Up FM and praised your site and promoted it for deals so he wasn't trying to accuse you of anything negative. don't worry about it.

btw, Cheapy is hardly lazy. if he was lazy, CAG would be in the shits and the site wouldn't work as well as it did. i'm sure Cheapy is involved in many parts of the site that we're not aware of. and remember that even though Cheapy has people like his parents, John and various mods help him with other parts of the sites, this is basically a one man show.

but i agree with Wombat that Cheapy needs to update his blog more. one paragraph a day ain't gonna kill you, son. ;)

Cheapy/Wombat:

With all the money that both Sony and Microsoft have lost with this generation of console, how do you think it will affect the next console release for each of the companies? I think we can expect new systems to be released within the next 2-3 years, so I'm just curious to hear how you both think they will plan for them.

[quote name='Infinity']Playing alone is pretty good but you absolutely have more fun with friends...[/quote]

I suppose the same can be said about love hotels.

I agree with Infinity about LBP. Also, if you've only played through the first few worlds, the levels get better and more interesting as you go on. The Snake Temple, the Balloon-Riding Japan level, the Indian-Themed levels with the blue dancers; there's some amazingly creative stuff in the single player, and I can't believe that it was made with the game's level creator. For your proposed GOTY, Cheapy, it's amazing that you've only spent less than an hour with it!

Wow, another great show! I don't know why, but the most recent few episodes have had a different feel than episodes from a few weeks ago. The last three or four episodes almost seem to be classic CAGcasts, from around the time of episodes 50-100. That's when the podcast really began to take off with that great sense of humor and those were the best ones. Not that there was anything wrong with the episodes from a few weeks ago, but they just seemed a bit off. Keep up the great work.

re: Sex hotel
Are these places clean? In the US I would be grossed out, but maybe in Japan they have people that actually do their crappy jobs.

re: Beatles game
Speculation is for pleasure in these circumstances. Who cares if they are speaking off the cuff, only time will tell how correct they are. I like to hear these two game industry professionals (sic) sound off, even if they are full of fuck.

re: Cheapy not working hard enough
Who cares? He's the CEO, the wearer of the Big Ass Chainz. As long as he retains his crack squad of dealhunters, why should it matter? Is there some threat of a mutiny? There could never be this great of a website, especially one not condoned by evil corporate public shareholder masters. Support CheapyD, he's not evil...yet.

re: Wombat and Cheapy not working enough
It's funny to hear Wombat complain about what Cheapy does, but he really has no place taking Cheapy to task. Nor do most of the users. A few more blog posts won't cement the community. It would be nice to hear from the guy, but he is taking care of a kid, and that does take a bunch of time. For all you CAGs without kids (probably 99.9% of you), and for all you CAGs without wives (probably 99% of you), there isn't much time left for gaming after taking care of a family. I'm sure that when Tai (and any potential sibs) are in school most of the day, Cheapy will be spending a lot more time with the site. Or playing the games he talks about on the show, which benefits us all.

Wombat, oh king of nasal self-righteous nerds everywhere, where is the humility?

re: Cheapy's sore arms from holding the kid
You should be ripped from lugging around a baby by now. Actually my wife and I are thrilled to be out of the manual labor phase of parenting (kids are 4 and 6). Something to look forward to. That and gaming with your boy. I recommend the Sega Pico and good old Super Mario Bros.

[quote name='smellytim']wombat is right: The Beatles transcend generation differences.[/quote]

Well, that's true. I'm 24 and cannot stomach their music.

when wombat was talking about how when you send in your xbox for repair you get someone else's so the "revolving door keeps going" is stupid.
when i sent mine in bc of a rrod i had stickers on it an Apple one and a Pownce one.
when i received it back 3 weeks later which is usually how long it takes i got the same one back.
i think wombat got other 360s bc his were not fixable but commonly people get there same one back

[quote name='guju900']when wombat was talking about how when you send in your xbox for repair you get someone else's so the "revolving door keeps going" is stupid.
when i sent mine in bc of a rrod i had stickers on it an Apple one and a Pownce one.
when i received it back 3 weeks later which is usually how long it takes i got the same one back.
i think wombat got other 360s bc his were not fixable but commonly people get there same one back[/quote]

More often than not, the broken 360s are deemed unrepairable in a short amount of time. I know almost no one who ended up with the same system. Like Wombat, my 4 systems were all different. He's probably correct. It only makes sense for them to toss your system into a junk pile for later while they give you someone else's garbage that will break in a few months again anyway. And the vicious cycle goes on, and on, and on...

[quote name='SeanNOLA']I am very disappointed in your coverage of the Beatles game. I am not a major Beatles fan, but even I knew enough from overhearing the press release that Harmonix is not planning on making another RockBand style music game. It isn't "RockBand: Beatles", it is supposed to be a new kind of music game created around Beatles music and culture; more like an Across the Universe game. What upsets me about your coverage is that you spent 5 minutes on assumptions and baseless conjecture on how they are going to force you to buy a limited edition Beatles plastic guitar when it hasn't even been announced that there will even be guitars. Who knows, maybe it will use a plastic yellow pariscope or *gasp* NO PERIFRIALS AT ALL! We don't know, and you don't know, and it makes me sad that other blogs and podcasts that reported on this yesterday got the full story, and you didn't use your extra day to actually read the release. Anyway, great podcast minus the five minutes of Cheapy pretending to be the Great Beat Game Swami.[/quote]

They said that they're positive that your past instruments would work. And do you honestly believe that a music game made by Harmonix would simply use normal controllers anymore? They've created the best system of incorporating music into games where you use your own instruments that they make even more money from and you expect them revert all the way back to using regular controllers? They were stating their opinion and no one knows how it will work yet.

"all these games keep coming out, who got time for all this". I got the time, all I do all day and everyday for the past year is play video games. But I have a small income and only can get 1 new game a month or a few used games. Thankfully Gamefly is helping me play more.

[quote name='guju900']when wombat was talking about how when you send in your xbox for repair you get someone else's so the "revolving door keeps going" is stupid.
i think wombat got other 360s bc his were not fixable but commonly people get there same one back[/quote]
Uh, no it's the other way around.

As soon as they get your unit, they tend to send out a refurbished unit to cut down on the wait time. Very rarely do you get your own system back.

Cheapy, don't start making stupid ass blog posts just for the hell of it. The internet is already full of doosh bags who post what they ate for breakfast and other doosh bag-like shenanigans that fill their daily lives.

[quote name='Cynical']Cheapy, don't start making stupid ass blog posts just for the hell of it. The internet is already full of doosh bags who post what they ate for breakfast and other doosh bag-like shenanigans that fill their daily lives.

[/quote]

have you read his previous blog posts? ;)

[quote name='x2k-one']cheapy, when you said that you were getting mirror's edge for ps3 just because people are getting angry just because you play the 360 most of the time i got fustrated...[/quote]
yeah screw the PS3 fanboys us Wii fanboys are the ones getting ignored. Sad part is that it's not even their fault.

[quote name='XTommyDonX']They said that they're positive that your past instruments would work. And do you honestly believe that a music game made by Harmonix would simply use normal controllers anymore? They've created the best system of incorporating music into games where you use your own instruments that they make even more money from and you expect them revert all the way back to using regular controllers? They were stating their opinion and no one knows how it will work yet.[/quote]

Yyyyyeeaaaa...so apparently it was me, and NOT Cheapy, that spoke erroniously. I read two articles that had the "not a RockBand" part and the "original design based on Beatles stuff" parts and not the Joystiq one that said "will be compatible with rockband periferals". Sooooo my bad,

SeanNOLA = apologetic douchebag, CheapyD = King of Korrectness.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']Yyyyyeeaaaa...so apparently it was me, and NOT Cheapy, that spoke erroniously. I read two articles that had the "not a RockBand" part and the "original design based on Beatles stuff" parts and not the Joystiq one that said "will be compatible with rockband periferals". Sooooo my bad,

SeanNOLA = apologetic douchebag, CheapyD = King of Korrectness.[/quote]

No problem, no worries. It's just a bit confusing being that we know almost nothing about the game at this time. It's all just speculation.

Hey Cheapy, thanks for addressing my comment from last week's thread. When you read it aloud, I realized that maybe I was being a little too harsh. Taking care of a kid is a tough job in itself, so I didn't want to trivialize that in any way. And you seem like you really have taken the feedback to heart with new youtube videos and more front-page posts lately. I'm one of the original CAG members (been here since 2003!!) so I've been a big fan for a long time and I can't wait to see what you have next for the site.

Show is as awesome as it's been since I started listening around #100. Good work, guys.

I finally got an aftermarket aux jack hooked up in my car, and started downloading the podcasts to my brand new Zune. My work commute kick ass now with the CAGCast.

The love hotel experience had me cracking up. I wish I could go back to Japan...nowhere near enough time to see stuff. I was only able to get to Osaka for a day.

I submit this as the CAGcast's new logo

2946479672_4c76db1134_b.jpg

Just put cheapy's head on Robocop and Wombat's on the unicorn.

The cagcast was as enjoyable as ever. Cheapy: Just gotta say it's true you should definitely be blogging more often on your own site, but I got to wondering... How much time do you spend reading the blogs? Are you the one who picks out featured blogs? This is obviously a huge feature on the new site, and you should be doing all you can to push it. How about adding a featured blog tab to the homepage?

I just wanna say, stop relying on Shipwreck to do the previews on his show, cuz if you havent noticed, he is completely unpredictable when releasing a show. He does 1 show a month if were lucky. So please make your previews longer so we dont have to go another week without them.

btw, we need a smilie with a whip for shipwreck.

[quote name='tsg2005']I just wanna say, stop relying on Shipwreck to do the previews on his show, cuz if you havent noticed, he is completely unpredictable when releasing a show. He does 1 show a month if were lucky. So please make your previews longer so we dont have to go another week without them.

btw, we need a smilie with a whip for shipwreck.[/quote]
Enjoy your vacation!

Coming from a guy who works in IT either troubleshooting computer problems, maintaining the system website, and other related duties, I am just wondering what types of issues Cheapy had to face that required him to stay up all night fixing.

I know that when a problems pops up, it can take a while to remedy. Especially when you have to research the problem using Google and hoping someone else has had a similar experience. I can certainly see how it could take all night or even longer to get something working the way you would like it to.

Sometimes it doesn't seem like you're doing much, but in reality you really are, so I think Cheapy was perfectly justified by saying he got the site up and running and maintains it.

Anyways, just my two cents.

Great show as always, gentlemen. Wombat, I agree with your saying PETA is a terrorist organization. What I don't get is, how can Sega not listen to their million-person fanbase, but listen to a small handful of "terrorists"? Think Sega doesn't care anymore or what? Any other opinions on the subject?

[quote name='mastermind']Coming from a guy who works in IT either troubleshooting computer problems, maintaining the system website, and other related duties, I am just wondering what types of issues Cheapy had to face that required him to stay up all night fixing.

I know that when a problems pops up, it can take a while to remedy. Especially when you have to research the problem using Google and hoping someone else has had a similar experience. I can certainly see how it could take all night or even longer to get something working the way you would like it to.

Sometimes it doesn't seem like you're doing much, but in reality you really are, so I think Cheapy was perfectly justified by saying he got the site up and running and maintains it.

Anyways, just my two cents.[/quote]

Are we talking about maintenance wise? John is in charge of that ship.

CheapyD !! You answered my question. How awesome is that?! Kickass episode you guys!!

And Noedskou is pronounced (Nødskou) it's my danish middlename and basically means "Nutforest". Now that i think about it. That's a pretty damn awesome nickname. Should i change to that now?

EDIT: Dammmit i can't change my name (i'm not a moderator.. duh). Any moderators willing to change it? I shall be forever grateful :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat -- as the father of a 6-month-old girl and 2-year-old girl, here's my question to you: How on earth do you get to finish Fable in a week? I'm lucky if I get five minutes of peggle at night. You work, you blog, you commute, you play videogames hour after hour -- all with an infant. I must know your secret! Is it an incredibly supportive wife who does all the feedings and changings? Does your kid sleep for ten-hour stretches? Or is there something else going on? I MUST KNOW!! Regards, your overworked, undervideogamed friend, ac

Clearly he is a robot. A videogame-loving, bargain-hunting, jewish robot developed to complain about any and everything in the videogame universe. That or he's just an insomniac. Kudos to the great work and all the shit you manage to get done wombat.

[quote name='Alandrafts']Wombat -- as the father of a 6-month-old girl and 2-year-old girl, here's my question to you: How on earth do you get to finish Fable in a week? I'm lucky if I get five minutes of peggle at night. You work, you blog, you commute, you play videogames hour after hour -- all with an infant. I must know your secret! Is it an incredibly supportive wife who does all the feedings and changings? Does your kid sleep for ten-hour stretches? Or is there something else going on? I MUST KNOW!! Regards, your overworked, undervideogamed friend, ac[/quote]

Wombat,

With your anti-PETA sentiment about the Samba de Amigo commercial pulling, have you seen the PETA episode of "Penn & Teller: Bullshit"? They totally rip them a new one and expose all the hypocracy. I think you and all us CAGs would enjoy it.

bread's done
Back