CAGcast #154: Rantastic!

Cheapy i understand your feelings toward the RE5 DLC. Its complete bullshit 2 expect us 2 pay 4 online multiplayer. That being said, BUY THE F'N GAME! you are seriously missing out! Listen 2 ya boy Wombat...he wasn't going 2 buy it for a while, but he picked it up and he loves it. Gon head and make it happen!

I have to disagree with Cheapy's take on the CAPCOM Swed's explanation of the DLC cost.

I assume when CAPCOM set a budget for RE5, the budget was really just a percentage of the total revenue they estimated they'll make from RE5. To really see if CAPCOM is being ridiculous, we would need to know the profit margin CAPCOM expected for RE5. If their expected profit margin was really high, then it was greedy of them not to increase their budget for RE5 to accomadate the DLC production costs. If their expected profit margin was moderate or slim, then of course it makes sense for the DLC to have a seperate cash influx.

On a side note, I can't believe the CAGcast is 25th on iTunes. I've listened to most of the other video game podcasts, and they are boring as hell and don't have a shred of the enthusiasm or fun the CAGcast has. You guys need to fire your PR guy.

My 2 cents your not going to like and will probably make fun of.

I think its irresponsible to promote marijuana like you do all the time with your influential space pimp status.

In addition, I really hope you don't think Christianity is scary? Did you really believe that documentary you watched about it? Can you remind me of the name of the documentary again so I can watch it.

However, I know you do take shots at everyone and everything and not afraid to voice your opinion, so that's why I keep listening.

Oh, and I don't mind that you don't talk about games the entire podcast. I think that's why I love yours the most.

Last but not least, has anyone else listened to this weeks RebelFM podcast on Racism in RE5? What do you think about their discussion and do you agree or disagree with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the shout out on Episode 154. Good to get that news out there.

Also, highly recommend Rainbow Six Vegas 2 or Gears of War 2 for your next game night.

Great cast guys, keep it real.

~Groovy

[quote name='KuragariNoKaze']In regards to the $5 DLC and game pricing in general:
The problem with DLC is that it's a global thing. While $5 on the East Coast in the US is a fair chunk of money, it's not so much on the West Coast. The cost of living differences are so extreme around the country that it's ridiculous. I feel like the people making the prices for games aren't in touch with this sort of thing and just slap an arbitrary price on everything. Most games turn out to be $60 at launch and unless it's a crappy game, people buy it regardless of price. [/quote]

I don't like this stance and (of course) I will explain why, while you may pay more in certain areas for goods/services you also make more.
People who live in Florida (myself) get "sunshine pay." This means they make shit for money. Things may be less expensive but, if you look at overal average stipend or even job/job comparison they make more!!!!

peteyrose, That video you posted is the girl in there this AppleMilk CheapyD was talking about? If so I do not think she is "Too" skinny at all. She looks great!

Some feed back on the feedback of last week's show. Only on the internet can grown people openly discuess the differences between an omnipotent beings power and a lead lined refrigerator and two posts later be discussing video games and video game consoles.

CheapyD & Wombat, I really like your take on this RE5 DLC. Since both of you are online friends with the Joystiq podcast crew you should hit them up, they said they would like to "intelligently" debate all this DLC stuff with some one on their show. I think that would make some very interesting conversatoin.

[quote name='peteyrose']Cheapy, did you know Applemilk is a gravure model in Japan? It was a big surprise when she disappeared from youtube for a while and then all of a sudden reappeared in a gravure video

Here's the trailer (probably NSFW) http://vision.ameba.jp/watch.do?movie=1048460[/quote]

[quote name='Hired.Geek']peteyrose, That video you posted is the girl in there this AppleMilk CheapyD was talking about? If so I do not think she is "Too" skinny at all. She looks great![/quote]

Yeah, that video must not be very recent.

[quote name='Hired.Geek']peteyrose, That video you posted is the girl in there this AppleMilk CheapyD was talking about? If so I do not think she is "Too" skinny at all. She looks great![/QUOTE]

Very beautiful indeed.

Hey CheapyD and Wombat.

A UK listener here.
Firstly let me start by saying that I've only just join this community and I have spent the last week or so trying franticly to catch up on the CagCasts (starting from Christmas 08 onwards). And since i've starting to listen, I've not even bothered listening to any other gamer podcast. What's the point? You guys cover every thing that a gamer like myself needs. News about each major company, new releases and things that effects me.. Eg the bloody stupid and pointless DLC thats being released lately. I used to listen to casts by Major Nelson and the like.. And after yours, theirs just seem to suck the arse of every game that comes out.. etc. Pollishing their arses.

Keep up the good work with the cast. Not only do I find it informative, I find it piss funny also. But I will say this; sometimes when CheapyD says Shipwreched. Its sounds like Shit-bricked. And I laugh everytime. :)

I got into your site through finding the poscast and since then I've bought all my games through your links and told all my gamer friends about the wicked deals that you promote and the top notch Cagcast.

Cheers.. Baron.

I'll be honest, the credibility of your website and podcast has become somewhat questionable with Wombat begging for attention from network television. I have always thought of your site and podcast as a solid, from the ground up business and web presence that deserves respect and more attention that it actually gets.

But the thing is, it's unprofessional enough that Wombat begs for attention and recognition for himself, (it's part of the shtick, fair enough), to drag CAG down with him in a campaign that, at best, copies Howard Stern's original concept, and at worst makes a joke of your whole business, well it seems desperate and I worry people will not appreciate all the hard work that has gone into building CAG over the years.

I do agree that Ted Knight is one of the best things about Caddyshack.

[quote name='Cidtalk']I'll be honest, the credibility of your website and podcast has become somewhat questionable with Wombat begging for attention from network television. I have always thought of your site and podcast as a solid, from the ground up business and web presence that deserves respect and more attention that it actually gets.

But the thing is, it's unprofessional enough that Wombat begs for attention and recognition for himself, (it's part of the shtick, fair enough), to drag CAG down with him in a campaign that, at best, copies Howard Stern's original concept, and at worst makes a joke of your whole business, well it seems desperate and I worry people will not appreciate all the hard work that has gone into building CAG over the years.

I do agree that Ted Knight is one of the best things about Caddyshack.[/QUOTE]

Well it's a good thing i'm not a professional. Also I don't see how a grass roots effort to get the show some attention is a bad thing. How does it make a joke of the business, both digg and endgadget have appeared on the show, are they a joke? Jimmy Fallon has also talked about twtter on almost every show. I thought it was a harmless, funny way to spread the word about the show, and gets the listeners involved. The point was to make it fun, I am sorry you took offense.

Dear Cheapy,

you were ranting about RE5 making you pay 5$ for online game play (death match, team death match etc) but you don't rant about the fact that Burnout Paradise is charging 10$ for offline multiplayer.

(Don't get me wrong, i still loved your RE5 rant.)

Well he addressed Burnout Paradise now charging for content in... I think the previous CAGcast.

Basically, it's different because Capcom is releasing the "Versus mode" shortly after the release of RE5. Where as Criterion has given us a year of free content and are just now charging for it.

Sorry for stepping in Cheapy. :lol:

If Capcom didn't make the DLC, I wouldn't have felt like I was missing it. Everything in the game adds up to a $60 game to me. If Capcom waited 2 months and announced a versus mode for $5, fewer people would have been that upset about it. I know some of Capcom and other company's DLC policies are shitty, but Cheapy missed one possibility: if it weren't for the possibility of DLC, it might not even exist. I mean, we wouldn't even know about it if they didn't tell us about it/the trophy blunder. People are willing to pay $60 every year for a glorified roster update for most sport games (with the occasional revolution like the most recent NHL game), but companies get a free pass. Capcom has marginally updated its Street Fighter series, rending the old versions nearly obsolete (Street Fighter II Turbo vs Street Fighter II for example). Perhaps Prince of Persia's DLC wouldn't exist if Ubisoft couldn't charge for it, and the same for Fallout 3 and Fable 2's stuff. Still, I do agree that I don't think it's worth $5. If anything, it should have been a free download with a purchase of a new copy. When I buy Rock Band, why do I have to pay $2 for each song after the 30 or so on the disc? How is the budget of these songs any different than the budget of an added mode not normally included in RE games?

Wombat is right about RE5's visceral nature. Not only do you feel each shot a lot more, but the game forces you to get in the face of zombies by taking the option of running away like a little girl away from you. Instead it requires you to run up, shoot a zombie in the leg, uppercut it, and crush its skull under your foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bat was really on his game in this eposode. For those who complain that there's not enough game talk...yeah, and so what. The show is so much fun and they talk about games as well. This DLC stuff is turning into a horror show. Paying for multiplayer? Who heard of that? Shame on you Capcom!

I don't understand the comparison of RE5 to Burnout Paradise to some folks on here.. RE5 is a brand new game. Charging for multiplayer when the game is released? Come on. With Burnout, EA has extended the life of an older game with DLC, and some free DLC as well. Other than maybe the Orange Box, Burnout Paradise may be the best gaming bargain out there.

Cheapy has raised concerns about DLC from the beginning, and unfortunately, a lot of those worse fears have materialized.

I am not saying I agree with Capcom practices or whatever, but I would like for Cheapy and Wombat to explain their arguments. Cheapy has said that Street Fighter 4 is worth 60 dollars and Wombat said RE5 is worth 60 dollars...so I am confused why charging for something beyond the 60 dollar value is a problem? If you guys were saying the games are not worth 60 bucks then I might understand why you guys are so mad about paid DLC. Please don't think this is an attempt to attack you guys, but I know this has been the defense for the paid DLC, so I really want to hear your counter argument.

Anyways love the show.

First off, love the show.

I think you guys need to let this "on the disk" crap go. The best time to release DLC is a month or two after the game launches. That means that they have to plan and start making the DLC way before the game ships.

If what the company comes up with for DLC is a terrible idea, like say Resident Evil multiplayer, then just don't buy it...

[quote name='eJohnny']Get real. If PS3 isn't a viable platform for publishling games, then the blame for a poorly performing game lies squarely on the game companies for not being aware of their market. Perhaps the market is saturated with developers and publishers and what we're actually seeing here is a weeding out. The fact is that great games are making money, so if yours doesn't, you're probably doing something wrong. Games like Halo, Fable, Left 4 Dead, GTA, all show there's money to be made if you create a good experience for your customer (and part of that experience is price).

If you want to see the impact of lower prices, take a look at how Left 4 Dead sales increased 3000% when Valve dropped the price on steam. I think it's clear the video game industry is out of touch with reality and where prices should be. Capcom's DLC isn't a creative attempt to generate alternative revenue because all they have done is hold back game modes that, in this day and age, are considered STANDARD FEATURES. Boycotting those kinds of actions are a good way to tell the company that it's unacceptable.[/quote]

Titles start development usually two or more years out. At that time there are assumptions made about where the console install base will be in the future. Given a 10% standard profit model, if 25% of the market is missing all of a sudden the average game is losing money. This has nothing to do with game quality. The realities of the current market are only starting to have an impact on which games are realeased.

And to you other point Gabe Newell knows how to play the base and stir shit up. He knows that the retail distribution model is entirely different than the digital model. Notice that Left 4 Dead on 360 was released at a $59.99 retail just like every other game even though when you look at it solely on the basis of included features consumers are getting raped at that price. And it's still out there at full retail price even though I don't think there has been a better example of a game that could afford to drop in price solely to promote goodwill. I don't have an issue with this because it makes perfect business sense (and I own L4D on 360), but there is no reason to put Valve on a pedestal.

I wish Gamasutra would do a feature on pricing and/or value and release some NPD numbers for the public to see. If you saw the actual sales numbers you'd realize that consumer friendly actions do not pay off financially. You can put the blame on that where ever you like, but it won't change what happens in the future. The Burnout Paradise numbers are especially eye opening.

My point in all this is best descibed in a simple prayer that everyone is familiar with:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. "

I'm not a religious man myself, but I still see the vast wisdom in that prayer. You can't change the fact that game companies are going to try and make a profit. With RE5 the bottom line is that the game is going to sell well enough based on the features included in the game disk. There are going to be enough people that want to buy the DLC that I think that will be a success as well. If change does come from the protests, it will be a vocal minority that negatively impacts the buying majority who is happy with the purchase they have made. This battle may be won but the end result will be a loss for consumers.

Hey guys, just letting you know I recently started podcasting for the first time. I listened to a few shows, but your guys are definitely my new number one podcast. I loved the last show, however I wanted to punch myself in the temples when Wombat was being a pussy about the Resident Evil Multiplayer DLC. I agree with CheapyD 100%. Capcom is trying to screw their loyal customers by charging an extra $5 for extra content that could have been put on the disc, but rather they exploit the technology of the marketplace systems to suck a few extra bucks out of you. And to top it all off, Capcom responded with some bullshit statement about profit accounts? Its more of a slap in the face than anything else. They have their noses high in the air, and I think RE5 is going to produce much less profit than they expect. (cough cough Devil May Cry 4) I think it goes without saying that I will not be purchasing RE5. Anyway, you guys keep up the great work (Can anyone say #1 on the Video Game Podcast Charts?) Oh and CheapyD, have fun at the doctors... dont moan too much.

Hey guys! First of all, thank you for answering my question back in episode 150 and my girlfriend what Shipwreck said so she had no problem with what I had in my game library. Also, This podcast saved me from failing my lifeguard certification class. Thanks to Wombat's and CheapyD's humor, I was able to believe it or not keep myself focused on my written and water scenario exams!!!

Was browsing through this month's Game Informer and in an article that highlights a few recent downloadable games, I thought I'd share this quote about Hasbro Family Game Night (bold added by me for emphasis):
With the exception of some added modes for party play, the games seem to be faithful interpretations of the classic titles, albeit at a price tag far lower than purchasing each game's real-world version.

:rofl:

I couldn't agree with you guys more regarding Capcom's decision to charge an additional $5 for multiplayer content in RE5.

Because so few multiplayer games on Xbox Live last beyond one or two weeks (besides Halo, Call of Duty, etc.), Capcom's decision to charge for its multiplayer is at best short-sighted and at worst it alienates its biggest supporters.

Nothing like fragmenting a user base that paid between $60-$90 for a game missing modes that were already (likely) completed before the title's release.

I don't care how Capcom's budgets are orgainzed and neither should gamers.

It seems like Capcom's Japanese developers just don't get what gamers in the U.S. are looking for in DLC - reasonably priced expansions, not sexy outfits (SF IV) or multiplayer modes.

Haven't listened through all the way but I'm at the part where Cheapy gets super pissed at Capcom's DLC schemes, well here's something that'll piss you off even more and it's from Activision! Who would've thought?

Mama Luigi on the Sonic Retro forums was going through the PC version of Call of Duty: World at War back in early December and found these left-overs. The maps were just cut from the final game and held for DLC instead it seems.

Up until I made this same post on Neogaf a while back the DLC maps were being referred to by their old names as they are here in all the promo material I saw. Two maps have been renamed for the actual final release of the DLC. Nachtfeuer is now Nightfire and Subway is now Station. They're still the same levels though.

Major props to Mama Luigi again for finding all of this again. There's more info in the link above for anyone else that's curious.

Kneedeep
compass_map_mp_kneedeep.jpg

loadscreen_mp_kneedeep.jpg

Nachtfeuer
compass_map_mp_nachtfeuer.jpg

loadscreen_mp_nachtfeuer.jpg

Subway
compass_map_mp_subway.jpg

loadscreen_mp_subway.jpg

Other leftovers that Mama Luigi found (that will likely be DLC eventually) include:

Atoll
compass_map_mp_atoll.jpg

loadscreen_mp_atoll.jpg

Carrier
compass_map_mp_carrier.jpg

loadscreen_mp_carrier.jpg

Cavern
compass_map_mp_cavern.jpg

loadscreen_mp_cavern.jpg

Docks
compass_map_mp_docks.jpg

loadscreen_mp_docks.jpg

Wetlands
compass_map_mp_wetlands.jpg

loadscreen_mp_wetlands.jpg

Enjoy!

Am I the only one having trouble playing the CAGcast? I even tried playing some older ones and they aren't working either (Tried DLing it as well).

Maybe it's just my work's network acting up but I've never had a problem before.

[quote name='Jest']Whats the point of the twitter mailbag thing again?[/QUOTE]

It's really just an alternative to the CAGbag, and I like it.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Haven't listened through all the way but I'm at the part where Cheapy gets super pissed at Capcom's DLC schemes, well here's something that'll piss you off even more and it's from Activision! Who would've thought?

Mama Luigi on the Sonic Retro forums was going through the PC version of Call of Duty: World at War back in early December and found these left-overs. The maps were just cut from the final game and held for DLC instead it seems.[/quote]

That really sucks but in the end its up to us as gamers who decide if this is ok, by purchasing it. I know its hard when a game in question offers up something you want, but stand firm from some of this crap and buy legit stuff that adds to your experience. This DLC is not all bad and the stuff that is, you can usually smell it a mile away.

Cheapy, i was on DannyChoo.com and saw the flix of you he had up, Man WTF are you like 6 foot 12 or what!? al so I hella Dig the Role reversal with you and Wombat! Man u can get Pissed! Understandable Capcom is on some bullshit.

I just listened to this podcast yesterday so you will have to excuse my lateness. Basically what I got from listening is that Capcom said they had to charge for multiplayer because of separate teams and the fact that they had never had multiplayer before. That is total bull because Resident Evil Deadly Silence for the DS had multiplayer. I'm totally pulling out the bullshit flag on this one.

[quote name='jkanownik']Does Cheapy really complain about the $5 download of an additional feature that wasn't present in the extremely highly rated previous game in the series? If so I'm finally done with the CAGcast. I've stuck with it from the beginning, but I've been struggling with Wombat's rants lately as they have become more idiotic over time.

I'm done with 1Up for the same reason. I was a hardcore cheap ass gamer well before I started working for a game company but I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with the gaming media and the crap they spread to feed off of their fans. If they made any attempt to understand the business side of things they'd realize how completely deconstructive this irrational criticism is. It's a shame too because most companies nowadays are making concerted efforts to listen to their fans.[/QUOTE]

Great one less scrub from cag. Capcom has been abusing the marketplace there is no way of arguing it. Capcom knows that a lot of people will download it just because its 5 dollars just like ths SF4 costumes which are the top download content on PSN.

:applause:hay cheepyd you and wambat are awsume ive watched all of your youtube videos and im allso fallowing you guys on twitter and im trying to support you guys the best i possibly can .

i have a question about how life in japan and how long did it take to learn how speek and read japanese?
ive allways wonted to go there can you explain some of the diffrences of living there?

oh and dude we are wonting sume more youtube videos please!?

bread's done
Back