CAGcast #174: Shoplifting Grapefruits and Other Tasteless Metaphors

Good show. I disagree that you have to finish a game in order to review it. I have seen reviews of MMOs and those games have no real ending. Some players like that a game will be a challenge and will test your skills. Not everyone plays games to relax, some enjoy frustration, if it is in game form.

You made me interested in "Demon Souls" . It looks like Diablo meets Zelda meets Oblivion. I will pick it up on Amazon.

Yo quiro las frutas de Magna Carta. And there's nothing wrong with boner inducing graphics to supplement fine game play.

I do like having Shipwreck on, but for reasons not altogether obvious. Ship's presence improves Wombat's presense. Wombat says less, and the result is the what he says is of higher quality. He's less corny. He's much funnier. It's all I've ever wanted for the 'bat.

On the other hand, I (sorry to admit) found the foreplay podcast boring. I like Ship's knowledge and editorial commentary, but I will respectfully request that Shipwreck avoids lengthy (anything over 30 seconds is lengthy) descriptions of a game's mechanics and storyline. I don't like reviews that talk about those things, and I'm bored when podcasts talk about those things. I do like all of your opinions about what is good and what is bad. But I don't need a robotic summary of games.

You guys are getting better as a threesome. This was the best 3-fer yet.

OK, so I'm the guy who said Wombat was jealous of Cheapy, which you guys confidently refuted. I guess it's hard for me to understand why Wombat frequently undermines Cheapy though. Why Wombat, why? And no, I can't produce quotes or samples, but the jabs at Cheapy are undoubtedly there in the shows. Not that I am playing favorites, you guys are both critical to the show. The Cagcast without either of you is just another boring videogame podcast. No offense Ship.

The CAGcast is the 'cast I look forward to the most every week. What do you guys currently recommend, if you listen to any others? Since so many podcasts come out every month, the roster might change since the last time you discussed this. This is the only video game podcast I listen to. Other than this it's Marketplace, Fresh Air, This American Life, and Adam Corolla, which is quite good (coming from a fellow Stern fan)- check it out Cheapy!

Big tits would definitely make me buy a game over lack of big tits
Im gonna buy COD6 day one, but if there was a pair of giant double dragons on the cover, I'd prebuy right now

Can Shipwreck be a permanent #3? He really does add a new dynamic to the show. Three heads are better than two. Anyway, the Super SFIV thing is typical capcom bullshit. SFIV started to drop in price 2 months after it was released & I expect something similar with SSFIV. My backlog keeps growing and I don't need to purchase any new games on release date, especially in a bad economy which results in discounted games pretty quickly. Cheap is when I get them, true CAG style.

CheapyD,

This podcast is easily one of my favorites because it's not tied to a company and often is about things not entirely "Gaming related". This offers a nice break to common themes and a wide variety to the show.

The addition of Shipwreck to the last few shows is great because, as Cheapy stated, he plays a lot of game and thus has much to add to the show to make up for the lack of anyone else who's not playing games.

Also, the honesty that comes across the podcast is refreshing and provides a good contrast to some of the more "Status quo" podcasts out there.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. I got that toy Wombat was talking about for my son who's now 18 months. Watch out, kids will get their arms stuck in it, or worse, drop pacifiers in it and other small objects that either block the tube or shoot all over the place!

I wouldn't want Shipwreck being permanent, I do enjoy his guest appearances though. He adds seriousness to the cagcast which is good at times but he does kind of kill the mood of the show since he isn't as immature. His knowledge on games is amazing though and its nice to have him from time to time.

I've found the past few cagcasts a bit boring though, Wombat seems to be more serious now and more annoying. Before he seemed more of a annoying/funny while lately he is just annoying/boring. Cheapy's stories lately have been really boring as well, its usually 50/50 with his stories but only the sex dream one really got me laughing lately.

Also my lack of excitement of any news and new releases doesn't help, its hard to sit through the gaming section. It doesn't help that any regular listener already knows what games cheapy and wombat like and dislike and they always have the same opinions, and always get a ton of facts wrong, then again I don't listen to the podcast for my gaming needs either. I especially hate the deals section, even when I was living in the US it was pointless since by the time I listened to the show the deals were gone.

Just my random thoughts on the past few shows, obviously not every show is going to be great.

Hey those Japanese luv their ooki cartoon chichis (big cartoon tits). I really enjoyed the last podcast with shipwreck. Hes very informative and analytical but can be a little consrvative/repressed at times. But theres a good balance between the three personalities though. Cheepy and wombat need to make up and kiss cause you can cut through the tension with a knife at certain points in the last 2 podcasts.

Great job with the Cheapy, Wombat, and Ship dynamic. It adds a bunch to the show, plus it helps since there is pretty much no more CAG Foreplay. I miss that show!

Good show, Shipwreck is a great addition as Cheapy and Wombat clearly dislike each other too much these days, the show has a better atmosphere with a guy in the middle.

Question to Cheapy: What are you going to do when digital distribution renders cheapassgamer.com useless in 5-10 years? Or do you think that will never happen?

Great show this week guys. I don't know what's sadder, the fact that the Japanese version has that cover art, or the fact that if the U.S. version had it, I'd be 10x more likely to buy it...

Really enjoyed the show, hearing about Demon Souls is pretty cool. I too play games for fun, and if they are that frustrating, I won't go near it, maybe watch a video on youtube or something to either laugh or marvel. The south park tower defense game really isn't that bad, better than I thought it would be.

Loved the show! I'm like Cheapy in that if I'm really frustrated with a game, I'll just turn it off and not play it again. I play to have fun, not get nerd rage!

Wombat I love that your daughter is going to be an Ewok! We saw that costume in a cataglog and joked about dressing our 2 year old up in it. But seeing as she's already 2, I figured she'd want more input into what she's going to be, so she'll be dressing as a kitty instead. Much more likely to convince her to wear a kitty costume for a day.

I think you guys may have scared me away from demon souls too.

Another great episode.

I hate to give Wombat anything to further inflate his ego, but, as a child of the 80s, I'm still laughing a day later about the "100 men or more" comment on the review copies for whatever that game was.

[quote name='E*Master']Awesome show guys as always! Especially the ones with Shipwreck

CheapyD: There is a documentary about that book you mentioned. Under and Alone it was called and it's on Youtube right here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPEc1awPQ8o

It's awesome!!!! I saw it on TV a few weeks ago. Pretty damn interesting.[/QUOTE]

And there is a movie in the works. I'm listening to the podcast now and the book sounds really interesting. I already reserved a copy at my library (I'm also a cheap ass reader). I really enjoyed Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels book. It's a must read if you're interested in biker gangs or just like really interesting journalism.

Now, talking about companies re-releasing games with extra features unavailable to owners for the original release, it sucks. Of course with Fallout 3, you can add all the content via DLC. Some games require you to buy the new retail release to get everything, which is pretty crappy. In an age where it's easy to update products, these game companies should make that an option. The reason there's a new special edition coming out with extra content is because people bought it early on. I understand why they want to release a new edition with bonuses to lure in more customers, but there should be a $10 or $20 download for all the people who made that release possible.

Of course I don't do much online gaming anymore. I used to, but now I play more for the single player experience. As a result, I don't buy anything at launch. I generally wait awhile. This gives me the ability to wait for a nice price drop or a special re-release that includes more content at a lower price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome podcast as usual. Shipwreck should be a regular.

Also, I thought MUA2 was fun, but not worth playing through again. I put Demon Souls on my Gamefly list to see how ridiculous the difficulty is based on Shipwreck's impressions. Keep up the good work guys.

Great show as usual!

I would love a copy of Badman for the PSP. The demo was fun but I can't bring myself to spend the cash for the full version. I am taking the Cheap Ass lifestyle to heart as I try and pay off my debt.

[quote name='Midguy']Awesome podcast as usual. Shipwreck should be a regular.

Also, I thought MUA2 was fun, but not worth playing through again. I put Demon Souls on my Gamefly list to see how ridiculous the difficulty is based on Shipwreck's impressions. Keep up the good work guys.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Ship should be a regular, but only if he speaks like the last 2 episodes. Otherwise, sorry Ship, I'd rather have you pumping out the awesome reviews!

what am i in bizzarro world ? wombat has stopped asking for free games and now cheapy-d is asking for pinball for free from who ever takes advantage of the b2g1 plus he wants ship and wambat to ask for a promo copy of dj hero. i guess you can take internet space pimp out the cheapass but you you cant take the cheapass out the internet space pimp.

Regarding the PSPGo, I'd like to see online sales for the downloadable codes for games. Whether that's in the form of a "card" that's actually mailed to you (like the 1600 MS points card, for example) or sent directly to you after purchase confirmation like Amazon's Xbox Live online codes selection.

I'd love to be able to get deals on these downloadable PSP games (like the TRU B2G1 free deal) without having to buy the actual UMD version. Anybody know of places selling PSPGo (Code Cards or otherwise) games?

Hey good job this time guys. It seems like you talk about video games much more when Shipwreck is on the show. Perhaps he is a good influence.

I have to say I am enjoing the cagcasts much more with shipwreck.
Shipwreck should be a permanent member on the cagcast. Great Show as always.

Good show as always. Believe it or not, it's Saw 6 that's coming out this October, Saw 5 was last year. It's a shame, I know.

The philosophical gamer in me wants to disagree that a game that is too hard is necessarily "not fun." But I usually stay away from games that are too hard. Also, I was definitely on Cheapy's side during the RE5 unlock code controversy. Capcom is trying to squeeze money out of fans but the developer's seem genuinely interested in making games that people want to buy.

I agree with Shipwreck on the Fallout 3 discussion. I was so hype for Fallout 3 but delayed purchasing b/c I knew a GOTY edition was pending. I'm very happy I waited and as soon as my Best Buy Reward Zone points hit for my cpu, I'm going to pick it up. That or Magna Carta II. :)

I, too, enjoyed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. I thought the game, while missing something from the original, is still entertaining in its own right. I beat both games and just finished game on Legendary. I still prefer MUA over MUA2.

Great show yet again guys. Ship definitely adds some personality to the show and should definitely be on more often.

I've also been looking for the Pinball Hall of Fame game in a few GameStops around me and none of them have it. I guess you guys persuaded a lot of people!

Great show again guys!

Cheapy - I think the handle from the E3 2005 Microsoft keynote you've been alluding to was 'VelocityGirl'. I'd say J Allard got it half right though - while paid user-created content hasn't come of age yet, smaller casual downloadable titles (XBLA, PSN, etc) are big business.

Props to Wombat for the Toto references - as a child of the '80s they gave me a big goofy grin.

I picked up a PSPgo (had a number of justifications) and have been enjoying it. The only downside I can complain about is how easy it is to buy games for it.

Definitely looking to get my hands on Demon's Souls too!

As usual, a good job well done on the show. On the topic of the Sarah Palin autographed Xbox console, I ask you Cheapy, Wombat and I am pretty sure Shipwreck will not answer this question, but how much do you think a box of Sarah Palin autographed Tampons would go for on Ebay?

Cheapy: You nailed most of what's great about having Shipwreck on the show - he's certainly knowledgeable about games, but he's also enthusiastic about gaming. Obviously you and Wombat like games, but shipwreck seems to be able to go into just about any genre of game with an open mind and review it without any pre-existing bias. That's just my observation.

Also, any guy who gets his wife to play games with him is doing something right. Mine is much more interested in burning through my credit after I trade games into amazon than she is in anything else to do with gaming.

i never sold anything on ebay but how much does it cost to post something up for sale

BTW

wombat is the best

That was a decent show. I want to address Wombat's comments about super hard games. Just because they are really hard does not mean they are bad games, it just means a certain user cannot beat it, it's not a testament to the quality of it.

Now just like movies, there are different types of GAMES. Not all of them have to be easy and simply to go thru, some like a really hard challenge and apparently Demon Souls offer that, and its very rewarding indeed. And also like movies, some require patience to get the rewards. Now I AM NOT that type of gamer, I am not a patient gamer, I just want pure simple fun.

Wombat, don't review difficult games, now we know that you'll simply give it a lower score because you got really frustrated at it.
Thank you Shipwreck for not reviewing it, its better than giving it a skewed score.

The NBA 2K10 locker description sounds like they just took the GTA IV CE lockers that didn't sell and repackaged them.

Wombat was wrong about the South Park XBLA game. It's fun and has a lot of fan service, too.

Doesn't Forza 2 let you switch to the car(s) that an event requires without going back to your garage?

Capcom's ripping you off with re-releases of the same game with new content? Impossible.

Good show. Shipwreck should stay on every week so he can be the Tony Reali of the show and keep you two from spreading too much misinformation.

Nice show. I also was not the biggest fan of MUA so like Cheapy I have zero interest in MUA II.

I also completely agree with Wombat about reviewing difficult games. Any game that is so hard as to be unplayable for the majority of gamers without any option to lower the difficulty should be dinged appropriately.

Wombat -- that Fisher-Price ball popper is the worst!! We have two of them because each kid got one for a birthday gift and won't give it up. So I get to chase 20 balls around the house to that God-awful music. The upside is that eventually the kids jam the ball chute with something and you get a bit of a breather until the guilt kicks in and you fix it. For what it's worth, PIzza Elmo is a close second for annoying kid toys (he sings, then his pizza sings -- it's pretty freaky).

I don't know if I can trust Wombat about the William's Pinball HOF.
I trusted on buying I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1NIT!!!1
It was fun until the song was over. Then I wasn't having fun anymore.
Felt like it was never going to end. I really love pinball games. But, with the buy 2 get one I might just get it.

bread's done
Back