CAGcast #179: Black Friday Super Show of Savings 2009 - LIVE!

[quote name='Thomas96']well I atleast I got to end the show! Bad question, but at that point, I don't think anyone felt like answering questions at that point.[/QUOTE]

lol yeah but then they shouldnt taken a call if they dont want to be bothered answering a question.

An outline would of been good (like a cagcast outline)
Taking a 3-5minute music break every 30minutes or so.
And 4 hours instead of 2.

But after having a full day of thanksgiving feasts the last thing I would want to do is stay up late for a show so i dont hold it against wombat or shipwreck for being pretty much out of it the whole time.

Everyone was brain dead after the first 30 minutes. It just got to be tiring and unenergetic, plus Cheapy had to work on the Amazon deals afterward.

Thanks for taking my call. I tried to have a good question to start up conversation (I asked about how good sales were going to be for the games coming Jan.-March.)

Starting the show, can't wait for callers to poop in my ear

Actually it turned out pretty good. I'm not a fan of the live shows but having on shipwreck and other special guests really helped. I was glad to finally get a little bit of JimmieMac's perspective on Hell's Kitchen... he's a lot easier to listen to when he's not constantly bashing Wombat.

Although, I'm still cleaning out my ear from some of the callers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show. Wish I would've heard it live, but I actually hit some B&M deals (and picked up some games to add to my Child's Play prize packs).

Not a bad show. Some of the callers had good comments, and I liked the "special guests", especially Jimmy Mac. Hell's kitchen is a favorite of mine, it was cool to hear about it a little.

Still, some of the callers were complete retards. It's as if they were calling with no idea what they were calling about.

That's the dangers of a live show I suppose...

[quote name='CheapyD']Show is now available in the RSS feed/iTunes[/QUOTE]

iTunes won't download it; some sort of error message. "Please check that the URL is correct" etc. This is via subscription refreshing.

All the callers talk about is their broken 360 or what games Cheapy and Wombat recommend for them. They also all sound like they just woke up. The live shows have no direction and Cheapy sounds pissed off and annoyed at every caller.

Instead of just taking so many callers, maybe Cheapy and Wombat could do a regular live podcast with video and screen for callers or something, so the whole show isn't filled with the same topic for 2 hours. Also throw in some guests from the industry and I think it woud be pretty good. Otherwise, it's just 15 dudes with no personality rambling about how they have to send in their 360s for repair and mumbling how great the podcast is.

[quote name='Blackout']Instead of just taking so many callers, maybe Cheapy and Wombat could do a regular live podcast with video and screen for callers or something, so the whole show isn't filled with the same topic for 2 hours. Also throw in some guests from the industry and I think it woud be pretty good. Otherwise, it's just 15 dudes with no personality rambling about how they have to send in their 360s for repair and mumbling how great the podcast is.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I was going to put together a regular show outline, but I figured it was kind of pointless since the show was going on the air at 1AM.

[quote name='AlphakirA']iTunes won't download it; some sort of error message. "Please check that the URL is correct" etc. This is via subscription refreshing.[/QUOTE]Yeah, there is a problem with our host. You can download it manually from BTR here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cheapy...-show-of-savings-2009.mp3?localembed=download

Hey 200STM,

I really enjoyed your call, I listened to the podcast at work yesterday. I could tell everyone was getting tired and I wanted to let you know when you asked them something like "you are laughing because of my voice?" I literally dropped all my mail I was delivering on the ground.

You took that ribbing in such good humor, I really was only laughing because the sound of two other guys belly laughing just make me also cry laughing. The fact that Cheapy was updating the site and totally missed the whole thing made it over the top lol. Good job man thanks for making making my Saturday at work a lot more fun than I was expecting

Kez

[quote name='CheapyD']I agree. I was going to put together a regular show outline, but I figured it was kind of pointless since the show was going on the air at 1AM.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cheapy...-show-of-savings-2009.mp3?localembed=download[/QUOTE]

Maybe for the next live show you guys could do it that way since it probably won't be recording so late. The Black Friday show was kinda more of a casual thing anyway but the next time there's a live one there needs to be an outline of sorts because the callers kill the show.

Just listened to the show and enjoyed it, I was playing a game so it was cool background conversation.
Feel bad for Wombat and Ship since they were basically callers on hold...but heeey at least you guys had callers (all be how lame they were)

I feel so bad for that second to last caller...and what's up with that douche who talked about Cheapy's kid? site ban!

[quote name='shipwreck']You did fine and it was a good question. Thanks for the call. I was getting a little slap happy there towards the end, so thanks for not taking it personal. That is a good pick-up for 99 cents too. Take care![/QUOTE]
Shipwreck, honestly, I lost a lot of respect for you when you joined in on Wombat's wailing on the kid. You would expect that from Wombat, but you?..
At least, CheapyD tried to brush it off like he didn't know what was going on.

The only good part of the show was CheapyD dodging the financial question like a true professional. I guess he's scared of people finding out how much money he's really making out of the sweat of others.

[quote name='Mickeyiscool']The only good part of the show was CheapyD dodging the financial question like a true professional. I guess he's scared of people finding out how much money he's really making out of the sweat of others.[/QUOTE]
Not really, this has been brought up on the show before. I don't think Cheapy really cares, but his dad is under the impression that he won't be seen as "one of us" if we know how much he makes off of the site.

But it's also rude to even ask.

[quote name='200STM']thanks for taking my call and no im not offended in any way thanks for bringing the CAGforeplay shipwreck and I hope u had a great thanksgiving and I hope that CheapyD and his family along with Wombats family have a great weekended Im glad to have been part of it and to you CAGS I hope you guys have a cheap ass weekend XD[/QUOTE]

yeah it was nothing personal, your question was fine and so was your voice. It was just late and I think my brain was done.

[quote name='Mickeyiscool']Shipwreck, honestly, I lost a lot of respect for you when you joined in on Wombat's wailing on the kid. You would expect that from Wombat, but you?..
At least, CheapyD tried to brush it off like he didn't know what was going on.
[/QUOTE]
Finally...I'm not the asshole!

It's ok Wombat, fellow CAGS don't be harsh on them its cool. as for postals statement I have a hard time with my voice I dont know why it sounds so deep. Yeah Ive always had a problem with my voice (Ive had girls reject me becuase of it but I am the party when it comes to Rockband I like to sing) overall Im fine and fellow CAGS don't be upset Im fine and I hope I helped made the show much more enjoyable see around on the deals stay cheap XD. By the way CAGS im a 20 yr old college student.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yukine']Not really, this has been brought up on the show before. I don't think Cheapy really cares, but his dad is under the impression that he won't be seen as "one of us" if we know how much he makes off of the site.

But it's also rude to even ask.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it wasn't the best thing to bring up but I've already gone down the deadend road of getting monopoly heads back below the usernames...

Regardless, I hope everyone benefits from the site, if Cheapy wasn't doing well then we would all lose out on such a great site. He's done such a good job of "being one of us" that I figured to ask such a thing as if it were a buddy at a bar. At the least I hoped to start up a discussion about Child's Play or how much pull CAG really has as an affiliate. Nice L2, R2 (dodge) anyway though!

Still listening to the show but you should definitely give the special guests a bit longer and stop with the calls, no offense to anyone who called in but some of those calls were fucking dreadful. They kill the whole show.

Also I don't want to blow smoke up Jimmie Mac's ass, but you should have kept him on for longer, at least his shit was interesting.

[quote name='200STM']It's ok Wombat, fellow CAGS don't be harsh on them its cool. as for postals statement I have a hard time with my voice I dont know why it sounds so deep. Yeah Ive always had a problem with my voice (Ive had girls reject me becuase of it but I am the party when it comes to Rockband I like to sing) overall Im fine and fellow CAGS don't be upset Im fine and I hope I helped made the show much more enjoyable see around on the deals stay cheap XD. By the way CAGS im a 20 yr old college student.[/QUOTE]

I don't think your voice was even funny. Wombat's laugh which sounded like he had a gerbil running around in his ass was way more awkward than your voice.

Hey, CAGs,
Long time listener, first time poster...What the Shaq Fu is the theme song at the beginning of this episode? I'm positive I know it, but can't quite put my finger on it.
Any clues?

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I'm surprised how many dumb asses called in. What, do they wait to get on the air just to ask if you guys like Modern Warfare 2? The one guy called in just to say that he likes the first more? I like the idea that the way you guys answered calls makes it more random, but maybe you should call screen to make sure that the person had something actually worth discussing.

I feel the same way, I guess it's only mostly morons who don't have to work that stay up and can call in. I would have at least asked a question about shit stained drawers, or like what was the longest turd Cheapy and Wombat ever dropped. I would ask Ship also but I am not sure he is the kind of guy that will let us into that part of his personal life.

I gotta say that I wasn't a fan of this show. Most people who call in to shows don't know how to talk on the radio. With sports/talk radio it works because the people hosting the show are good at handling people and keeping things fairly brief and keeping people from rambling. But on here it just didn't work.

Next time do more of a traditional show. Maybe do what Joystiq does and have a section with voice mail questions instead of live callers, that way you can pre-select ones that are decent and it keeps people from rambling. Maybe mix in a few live special guests as well. But keep the regular stuff, too.

One other thing I didn't like was that the show stopped just before deals went live. I think it would have been better, even if Cheapy had to leave to get stuff posted on the site, to keep the show going and have Wombat and Shipwreck talking about the deals as they went live and their thoughts on the games on sale if they had played them. Having the live Black Friday show stop before Black Friday really started didn't make sense to me and kind of contradicted the point of having a live show.

One last thing, I think a show on Wednesday night would have been good, too. With Amazon's deals and bestbuy.com going live on Thursday I think there were as many of us up waiting Wednesday night as Thursday night.

When I think of Wombat and his family eating Thanksgiving dinner, I picture a scene from "The Clumps". They all look like different versions of wombat and have short sausage fingers.

[quote name='toowicked4u']Hey, CAGs,
Long time listener, first time poster...What the Shaq Fu is the theme song at the beginning of this episode? I'm positive I know it, but can't quite put my finger on it.
Any clues?[/QUOTE]

I'm not positive, but I think it was Excite Bike.

hey love the show me and my friend are thinking of starting a podcast our self's and we were wondering what program you use
keep the great podcasts coming

This was seriously the worst show I've ever heard. And not because of anything Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck did or said. Man, what terrible callers. Except for Jimmy, Ron, and Michael. I would love to hear 15 min of each of those guys on future 'casts if you can get them to call in. All entertaining. And saying it's the worst show ever isn't saying much. I love nearly every episode, so a mediocre episode is elevated to WORST EVAR.

Even Ron and his bizzare tangents. In fact, Ron would make a great foil. That's a Stern technique, to have someone say stuff you don't want to say or that you think would be entertaining instead of saying it. Not that racism is good, but just that it can be entertaining, like poddy humor, making fun of people, and stupidity. But you don't always want to do it yourself, you get an articulate intelligent insane man like Ron to come on and get crazy.

In summary, random callers isn't as good as the 3 head CAGs chatting.

Oh yeah, this is the first CAGcast to actually make me hungry. Thanks Wombat.

[quote name='wayno187']I'm not positive, but I think it was Excite Bike.[/QUOTE]
Actually, Excite Bike was last week (i remembered that one after the first 3 notes).
This week was a theme song from some old TV series...I'm thinking something from the 80's, but I can't quite place it, and it's killing me!

Cheapy, what's the epic theme music that you've been using to open the live shows? I know I've heard it before but I can't place it.

The show may have had bad callers, but you guys have to realize that the callers were just trying to make conversation. It was really only to pass the time, until the Black Friday Amazon Deals were live.

The epic theme music was from Cheapy's favorite movie. Robocop. It plays during the end titles.

bread's done
Back