CAGcast #190: World of Duty

Nice show guys. I enjoyed the ME2 discussion; I think you three should do those more often (30 min. spoiler-filled discussion at the end of the a podcast).

Cheapie: Which is better? Which is better? Damnit Shipwreck. Say it. Spit it out. Or you are off the show. Say it.

Shipwreck: Mario Kart sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! Sega Sonic kart game is better.

Cheapie: Thank You Shipwreck. You confirmed my suspicions.

Good show everyone. With some more talk of PC gaming I'm now curious to see the breakdown of console/handheld/PC gamers in the community. Was there ever a poll done on cheapassgamer to capture the communities primary gaming device? Thanks again and keep it up.

WOW Cheapy, so sad to hear you got spoiled for Heavy Rain. but you should still check it out when it's on sale. since you're a dad, the game's story might have more of an emotional impact with you. many daddy gamers in other podcasts said it really resonated with them. BUT you should get the EU or NA version. the Japan one is mildly censored from what i read.

-As opposed to Wombat's perceived attempt to justify Ubi's DRM, on the other side there is BioWare's DRM which certainly doesn't punish legitimate consumers.

-When SC2 comes out, it is going to occupy a lot of my time. Though I get the impression that none of you three are RTS fans.

-The good thing about being a CAG and PC gamer is Steam. Ya'll missin' out.

Sorry to hear about your heavy rain spoilfest. In regards to Cheapy's desire for ship to ship combat in the next mass effect, I really don't like the idea. If I wanted to play a game like that I would play Eve and I don't play Eve because it is really boring. I think the action elements mixed with Biowares crafty RPG elements is perfect. Then again, no matter what Bioware does, I'm sure Mass Effect 3 will be great.

I think it's awesome that you were on Cold Pizza. Is there a Youtube clip of that anywhere? I would enjoy watching that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that Mass Effect 2 is a system seller? I don't have the X-box 360 and the only games of interest to me are Crackdown, Shadow Complex, and the two Mass Effect games. Do you feel these games justify a 360 purchase?

I played Renegade, maxed that out, but did have some Paragon points, I needed loyal team members.

On the ME2 Miranda-Jack spat, I wanted Jack, so I sided with her, Miranda's loyalty went to shit. After that spat, I went back and talked to Miranda a few times, and agreed with Jack to get her on board, same thing happened with Tali and the last team member you get. I agreed with her, and them told him I lied to appease her. He appreciated that and everyone was happy.

Funniest show ever. Seriously, this was 2 hours of pure goodness and every second was worth hearing. The CAGcast is gettin better every week and I cannot wait till the next one. Kudos to Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck for doin such great jobs.

And Wombat continues to try to be edgy yet again. Stop trying to cause controversy already. If you want attention, go throw some bread at the park and watch all the pigeons flock to you.

God of War 3 is only one of the most anticipated games of this year but apparently Sony has no idea what they're doing with it, right? It's only seen by the public at every Gamestop store front (the stores are just covered with the posters), 7/11's and Slurpees, commercials and print ads, etc etc and an incredible word of mouth by everyone.

It's a really successful franchise. Judging by Vgchartz (not super accurate), GoW1 sold 3.3 million, Gow2 sold 2.6, the PSP version sold 2.0 and the Collection sold 600k. Add those numbers up and it's over 8 million copies over 4 versions. And I guarantee you that GoW3 will surpass...all of those by a mile.

I don't know how much more ridiculous you can get with your statements. You've already proved your lack of any logical thinking from the Ubisoft DRM last week. Ubisoft made a PC version for money, simple? The DRM is stupid, you know why? Because it's a company treating the customers that actually bought it like criminals. But the pirates who didn't buy it are not treated like that. It's like if you bought a watch from a store and they put a GPS in the watch when you leave the store so they know where you take it. But if you stole it, that wouldn't be the case.

I actually used to like listening to you but I think you feel intimated that another person is on the show and you can't do anything about it so you try to make yourself the center of attention. Please, enlighten me how you're not.

Anyway, enough about my 4th week in a row rant about Wombat, good show to the other 2.

[quote name='Microshock']And Wombat continues to try to be edgy yet again. Stop trying to cause controversy already. If you want attention, go throw some bread at the park and watch all the pigeons flock to you.

God of War 3 is only one of the most anticipated games of this year but apparently Sony has no idea what they're doing with it, right? It's only seen by the public at every Gamestop store front (the stores are just covered with the posters), 7/11's and Slurpees, commercials and print ads, etc etc and an incredible word of mouth by everyone.

It's a really successful franchise. Judging by Vgchartz (not super accurate), GoW1 sold 3.3 million, Gow2 sold 2.6, the PSP version sold 2.0 and the Collection sold 600k. Add those numbers up and it's over 8 million copies over 4 versions. And I guarantee you that GoW3 will surpass...all of those by a mile.

I don't know how much more ridiculous you can get with your statements. You've already proved your lack of any logical thinking from the Ubisoft DRM last week. Ubisoft made a PC version for money, simple? The DRM is stupid, you know why? Because it's a company treating the customers that actually bought it like criminals. But the pirates who didn't buy it are not treated like that. It's like if you bought a watch from a store and they put a GPS in the watch when you leave the store so they know where you take it. But if you stole it, that wouldn't be the case.

I actually used to like listening to you but I think you feel intimated that another person is on the show and you can't do anything about it so you try to make yourself the center of attention. Please, enlighten me how you're not.

Anyway, enough about my 4th week in a row rant about Wombat, good show to the other 2.[/QUOTE]

Well, I made the statement based on Cheapy asking why pre-orders were so low. I am aware how popular the previous GOW's are I believe that Sony failed to capitalize on that by waiting so long to release a next generation of game. I don't think I said anything particularly outlandish or controversial. I am not going to talk about DRM again, because no matter what I say people only hear what they want.

P.S. Having Shippy on the show was my idea. I am glad he is there, except for when he drops the ball and doesn’t correct me when I make mistakes about release dates.

Good show as usual. I think the idea of Activision milking out or fragmenting the Call of Duty series could actually be a good thing. It seems like the vast majority of the people buy the Modern Warfare games for the multiplayer mode. If they were to come out with a multiplayer-only, MAG-like version of MW perhaps the flip side of that would be the creation of a more single player campaign-focused MW as well. I'm one of the few people who actually bought MW2 for the single player experience due to how blown away I was by Call of Duty 4's and I was pretty let down with how unpolished, set-piece heavy, nonsensical and generally exaggerated the whole experience felt. If the success of the MW series resulted in a proper single player (or campaign co-op) -focused Modern Warfare that's something I could get pretty excited about.

For the time being, the relatively short, but excellent Call of Duty 4 and Bad Company 2 will have to suffice.

Loved the show yet again, especially the Mass Effect 2 conversation. I definitely agree with Wombat that the utilization of the save game from Mass Effect 1 make this an "important" game for me. I instantly had an emotional connection with the game since it became the continuing adventures of my personal Shepard right off the bat. It gave a real emotional impact to the opening cut scene for me and I couldn't put the game down until I beat it.

[quote name='tenma']Good show as usual. I think the idea of Activision milking out or fragmenting the Call of Duty series could actually be a good thing. It seems like the vast majority of the people buy the Modern Warfare games for the multiplayer mode. If they were to come out with a multiplayer-only, MAG-like version of MW perhaps the flip side of that would be the creation of a more single player campaign-focused MW as well. I'm one of the few people who actually bought MW2 for the single player experience due to how blown away I was by Call of Duty 4's and I was pretty let down with how unpolished, set-piece heavy, nonsensical and generally exaggerated the whole experience felt. If the success of the MW series resulted in a proper single player (or campaign co-op) -focused Modern Warfare that's something I could get pretty excited about.

For the time being, the relatively short, but excellent Call of Duty 4 and Bad Company 2 will have to suffice.[/QUOTE]

I hope you continue to think so, because the masterminds behind it were fired. But yeah, it's not like Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, or Spider-Man suffered after they became successful and Activision started milking them, right?

[quote name='Wombat']Well, I made the statement based on Cheapy asking why pre-orders were so low. I am aware how popular the previous GOW's are I believe that Sony failed to capitalize on that by waiting so long to release a next generation of game. I don't think I said anything particularly outlandish or controversial. I am not going to talk about DRM again, because no matter what I say people only hear what they want.

P.S. Having Shippy on the show was my idea. I am glad he is there, except for when he drops the ball and doesn’t correct me when I make mistakes about release dates.[/QUOTE]

You saw what happened to music games due to their over saturation in the market and you see where COD is going. Is it so wrong that Sony takes a bit longer to make the last game in their trilogy the best they can make it instead of spewing it out 2 years earlier just so it gets there the first year of the PS3?

Yes it's a golden goose but a golden goose can only lay so many eggs. Activision likes to spit on it and give the goose hormones to spit more out which just creates shitty eggs. You want a shitty egg?

About the DRM, it's the PC gamers on here trying to inform you from our point of view how it affects us. I personally don't buy releases on PC anymore unless it's like a Portal 2 or Valve product. You are looking at it from a publisher's point of view and not a gamers one.

Also, I understand you like Ship, I've grown to like him more but I just feel you've tried to become more controversial since he's been a regular. Don't remember you doing much of that before and i've listened a long time. And yes I remember classics such as Vagina Clown. I think what most annoys me is your tone. That arrogant tone you have when you just believe you're in the right and sometimes you are but...still.

I'll still listen as always though. Quite an entertaining show

great show i listened to your spoilers version of me2 and that made me want to give the original ME another chance so then i could play ME 2 right after

[quote name='Wombat']Well, I made the statement based on Cheapy asking why pre-orders were so low. I am aware how popular the previous GOW's are I believe that Sony failed to capitalize on that by waiting so long to release a next generation of game. I don't think I said anything particularly outlandish or controversial. I am not going to talk about DRM again, because no matter what I say people only hear what they want.

P.S. Having Shippy on the show was my idea. I am glad he is there, except for when he drops the ball and doesn’t correct me when I make mistakes about release dates.[/QUOTE]

I think Wombat is padding his posts to try and win that SC2 key.

Another excellent cagcast, the ME2 discussion was great. _b

Always sweet to find a cagcast waiting in your rss reader in the morning.

Wombat is a loveable dbag!

You guys touched on the non-disaster that was the PSN thing. It wasn't so much that you didn't get to play for a day, I mean I don't need to play every day. It was just that if you hadn't synced and backup your trophies just before then, you would have lost them. I know trophies are just a showoff thing, but it was a big deal for alot of people, especially if you hit a milestone late in a game which you couldn't go back and re-do. In longer games that could mean having to restart a save file and replay 10-50 hrs of gamepplay to get the trophy again (Star ocean and other rpgs can take that much to get some trophies).
Then again, it goes back to the whole, trophies are just show-things that don't mean much. But its nice that if you achieved something in the game to at least have it, or if your working toward platinum.

I just want to say that as someone who pays for the products they use, I really agree with Wombats stance on pirating games.
Also, when you guys go off an a completely unrelated topic because you don't really know much about the things on your outline (like the part about the baseball games) you bring up some of the best conversational pieces. Keep it up!
As always great show!!

Straight after listening to this CAGcast I tuned into the Joystiq podcast. Listening in on their spoiler cast, I think I'm in the same boat that Cheapy is in now.
Certainly agree with Shipwreck about knowing the killer will significantly reduce the experience of Heavy Rain.

The biggest downfall of story driven games like that is that douchebags on the internet will go out of their way to spoil it.

I remember someone writing to me the killer the first day the game came out but i thought it was a lie. Then when i actually found out on JTV, it kind of took away all of the surprise.

Great episode, I enjoyed your Mass Effect round table even though I have never played it, I might actually go play the first one now since its cheap.

Oh and thank god for banning that guy who tried to spoil Heavy Rain, I'm trying to avoid spoilers for that game as much as possible...

your guys' Mass Effect 2 discussion was waaaay too tame I felt. shoulda went all out and discussed the story some more rather than the significance of the genre or gameplay, you guys could have done that during the show. overall ok show.

THOUGH i do have one more complaint, the story about the PS3 not working and the whole activision thing. I would like you guys to give a brief summary of what happened in a news story. When i was listening i had no idea what the hell was going on only through inferences in your discussion. You have to remember some of us dont get a chance to read the blogs and what not and might not have a clear or even any understanding of the subject. It would be nice to just give a quick brief of the article before discussing it. that's all. thanksies.

Good show guys.

Releasing GoW 2 on the PS2 was a smart move as it kept the ps2 moving for quite some time. GoW3 should have been released on the day the ps3 released as it would have improved sales as well as keep the franchise going. As wombat said, waiting this long killed the franchise to a certain degree. Even somone with limited knowledge of sales would know.

As for kings quest... How can you blame Activision for what they did? If you are that upset over it, you might as well quit playing games now. If you owned The ip and someone was making a sequel what would you do? If you would do nothing, then your a moron. You would be out of business in a heartbeat and so would every other publisher out there.

You can bitch if a new game comes out and it sucks, but not when some whiny fans start wetting their diapers because they don't get what they want.

Good show, I agree with Wombat the GoW franchise has been handled pretty badly in my opinion. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

In ref to the PS3 downtime, as soon as CheapyD said let's play a game, I really thought he was going to play the CAG edition of "Are you smarter than a Playstation?" and ask each co-host what years were leap years.

Wombat, excellent Black Manta impression! Cheapy does a fine Jerry Seinfeld. ShipWreck MUST be holding out on us... come on ShipWreck, give us some kind of impersonation!!

Wombat is correct though. If GOW 3 would have come out right away on PS3 showcasing their great graphics, they might not be in the mess they are now.

I never really thought about Sony not building up God of War the way they could have. They could have gotten more sales, but I agree with others that only being on the 4th game could be better than us being on #8.

The show works great with the three of you guys together, but Wombat... Do us a favor and calm down on some of the dbagnessnessness. You were a bit annoying at the start of the show. Other than that, great show as usual.

Hi guys, I want to thank you all for this podcast, it has entertained me for along time now.

Anyway Cheapy thank you for talking about good places to eat in Tokyo, I was recently in Japan with my fiance who didn't know much about Tokyo, so I checked some old shows and got a few good places.

Wombat about the Batman question from last week I was recently talking with some friends and came to the conclusion that Cataclysm Gotham City would be a good place to set the game in, I was wondering what do you think?

And Ship how much of your transformer collection have you replaced from when they were stolen?

I think Jason Rubin is full of crap when he says that people can't go to new studios and get handed a lot of money to make a game.

Isn't that basically what happened to the Infinity Ward guys once already? They made Medal of Honor, then took off and made Call of Duty. I believe that's what happened to the Dead Space guys too. They left Visceral to create Sledgehammer and now they're working on a Call of Duty game.

Good show guys. I'm gonna be completely honest. Before I knew what CheapyD looked like I thought he was Sundance DiGiovanni. I used to watch Cold Pizza and see a bald (shaved) guy talking about video games, then I listened to the CAGcast and heard Cheapy say he had been on Cold Pizza before and that he was a bald white guy. It was certainly confusing.

Hey guys, a quick comment on the broadband stuff; aside from it being expensive, it's also not nearly as penetrated as you might think. I'm not in the city limits, but I am about thirty minutes from downtown San Antonio (one of the biggest cities in the US), and it's not available here. Whenever I call Verizon and ask about it, they tell me they have absolutely no plans to upgrade the lines; even the schools and businesses don't have access to broadband.

It kind of annoys me that so many companies just assume a high-speed connection exists, and my reentry into PC gaming continually gets put on the backburner because of it, but it has led me to explore all the nooks and crannies in the console DRM. BTW, you don't have to be online to load a game with DLC extras from Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, like I've seen so many people try to say; it works just fine offline, after you've downloaded it.

It's a bit late now, but I'll try and answer Wombat's (possibly rhetorical) question as to why Ubisoft even made a PC version of Assassin's Creed 2.

I think PC ports of console games like AC 2 can be worthwhile for companies, even if they sell a lot less than they do on the 360 or PS3. And by worthwhile, I mean cover the cost of development and cover the opportunity cost of the next best alternative.

To pluck figures out of the air, let's assume making a PC version of AC 2 based on the already developed 360 version cost Ubisoft $10 million. To make an 100% return on that investment, they only need to make $20 million in revenue from the PC version.

Ubisoft is charging $60 for AC 2 at launch, but that price will only go down. At an average selling price of $50, the game would only have to sell 400,000 copies to make that $20 million. And Ubisfot will have a very good idea of how many copies AC 2 will sell on the PC because of their sales data for the first Assassin's Creed.

I'm actually saving this episode to listen to the ME2 discussion when I'm done with the game. Which space ho did Ship, Wombat, and Cheapy bang again? I skipped that part of the episode to avoid spoilers.

Great podcast and I really enjoys Wombat's take on gaming. I completely agree with him on the way God of War has been handled by Sony. This should be a flagship AAA title and you would think you would hear more about it,

I mean look at the Halo games, like what MS is doing with Halo Reach now. It seems that every site has it as the hot thing and you hear so much about it everywhere yet GoW3 there doesn't seem to be much hype. Sure you may see it at Gamestop but when a Halo game comes out it is everywhere. There are tie-ins galore but I just don't see that with GoW3. I live in Eastern NC and here I can't think of anywhere I have seen of heard about this game besides online sites.

These Sony shills here can bitch all you want but this fact. It is just not handled as mainstream as it should be. Personally I think the previous GoW games blow any of the Halo games out of the water in terms of fun factor, story, and gameplay so I am amazed at the lack of marketing.

And some guy here posted that all previous GoW games together have sold 8 million copies. For a AAA flagship series like GoW that is nothing. Both Halo 2 and 3 each sold more than the entire GoW series combined according to vgchartz.com. To me that is an absolute travesty and a clear sign that Sony's marketing is faltering at this.

bread's done
Back