CAGcast #190: World of Duty

I lost all faith in shipwreck with his high praise for "Tribes" (Halo: Reach), when it looks good but not out of this world as he makes it seem to be.

Another great episode that started my morning out! Mind you, since I listen to it at work first thing, I can't really remember anything besides CheapyD's and Wombats never ending laughter about call of duty -- not saying it's a bad thing.

If that Sony Network issue really was due to some small program typo for leap years then WOW...

I actually listened to the ME2 part despite any intention of playing either of the ME games.

Cheapy was incorrect in his understanding of intellectual property rights. Activision in no way has to prevent others from using the Kings Quest name in order to protect their rights; as long as they grant permission and dont just ignore the use then they maintain their rights. In fact several Kings Quest fan projects (including this one) have been done under a non-commercial license with the previous rights holder, so they didnt have to take any action at all. Considering that the last commercial Kings Quest game was 18 years ago they should be thanking people for keeping the name alive.

I believe the project in question did use some copyrighted material from the earlier games, which would be protected almost indefinitely, but I can't imagine that Activision has any claim to the Kings Quest name itself. The usual standard for abandonment on trade marks is only 5 years.

Things You Screwed Up:

1. Cold Pizza wasn't cancelled, but rather retooled and renamed "ESPN First Take"

2. Cheapy, the r-bomb wasn't cool. Besides, if you were mentally challenged, would you want to be lumped in with the Transformers movie? Then again, if you were a piece of shit, would you want to be lumped in with the Transformer movie?

CheapyD, Bioshock 2 does tell you the everything you need to know about what time period you're in. When the game starts its within the first 3 minutes.

Shipwreck couldn't be more wrong about bioshock 2, it does everything better than the first, including removing the worst hacking mini game I have ever played. The only thing it doesn't do was to make rapture feel new, which would be near impossible. Also its a damn sequel what the hell were you expecting?

I have been listening for a month now and the first couple podcast's I really enjoyed Wombat, but these last two he comes across as an arrogant and ignorant prick. Maybe Wombat needs to get off that diet, its making him depressed.

I will continue listening as I have enjoyed most of the ones I have downloaded. And other than Wombat, I am enjoying listening to what the others have to say.

Ah man, this is kind of hilarious. I find out I mistyped a post in the last show's thread by hearing it quoted on the CAGcast :lol:

Great show CheapyD, Wombat & Shipwreck, was listing to the CAGcast in Asakusa in Japan & i enjoy the show alot & also that CheapyD keep messing with Wombat :D. also i'm sorry i didn't meet you in person CheapyD but japan is a very big place & i'm still new to the place still. keep up the great work guys.

I think Halo Reach looks pretty good. I'm read The Fall of Reach novel, but the two stories are supposed to stand alone. I'm looking forward to it!

Until we know what happened with IW and Activison, I will base my opinion on the shittyness that Activision's ceo represents. The statement in which he said is the way to run game development alone is bullshit.

Not to mention raising the prices of games because they know gamers will pay for it. However I guess they were right, MW2 sold billions, they know their market of mindless consumers.

Wow thanks for the show guys Im looking forward to picking up Bioshock 1 now. Im glad I dont need to jump on Bioshock 2, awesome show thanks

[quote name='retromufc']And some guy here posted that all previous GoW games together have sold 8 million copies. For a AAA flagship series like GoW that is nothing. Both Halo 2 and 3 each sold more than the entire GoW series combined according to vgchartz.com. To me that is an absolute travesty and a clear sign that Sony's marketing is faltering at this.[/QUOTE]

Sony marketing failed because Halo sells better than God of War? Put down the crack pipe and instead compare God of War's sales to games in the same genre like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

I think Wombat is right about GoW - Sony should have guitar heroed the heck out of it. What do you guys think the right amount of games per year for a hot property is?

Good show, sadly I decided not to listen to the spoiler section at the end since I didn't play ME2 yet... Guess I'll be leaving this podcast in my ipod a bit. I can't wait to listen to the discussion after finishing the game!!!

Awesome show guys, but still Shipwreck you need to speak up, otherwise great show. Also, with E3 rapidly approaching and with the trio of cagcasters going what are you predictions? Will it be another Family focused frenzy from the big three or will actually see something good.

Shipwreck and Endless Ocean: Blue World

At the beginning of the game, your partner and Shipwreck's original love interest (Oceana) is about to turn 15. Towards the end, (one year later) she is almost 16. The information about her age is only in the European game. Maybe Nintendo of America thought she was hot too?

Regarding the Wombat and PC gaming parts, while I don't think Wombat is, as others have called him, a douchebag (at least not when he isn't intentionally trying to be one), I do think he was very far off the mark when his statements in the last episode basically seem to indicate that he thinks the only people affected by the draconian DRM are pirates. It's really completely the opposite, and the people who would actually buy the game (or consider doing so) that are the ones negatively affected.

I believe it was Gabe Newell who said that developers and publishers need to stop thinking about the pirates, but instead on the customers who actually will pay, and focus on making making the purchasing and playing experience better for them. Unfortunately it doesn't seem too many publishers have reached the same conclusion.

Anyway, pretty good show, though I think Shipwreck is wrong regarding ME2 allowing you to set ME1 decisions if you don't import a character - it's extremely limited in terms of what you can do and doesn't come anywhere close to having a ME1 save of your own. So Wombat's point of needing to have played ME1 to get the most out of ME2 is correct... but I don't think that's a bad thing. As good a game as ME2 is, it's still the storyline and characters that was the draw - the actual gameplay bits of ME1 have enough issues, even on the improved PC version, that I don't think I would've cared about a sequel if it wasn't that I found the universe to be fascinating. So for a series that was designed from the outset as a trilogy, needing the player to play through all of them to get the full experience is to be expected.

I agree with cheapy that ME2 needs space battles, what's the point of a space game if you don't fight in space ships

As for the king's quest thing, there are plenty of fan made games of other IP's and those companies haven't lost their IP's. Even if this king's quest is diffrent I'm sure activision could work out some licensing/contract that would satisfy both sides and instead of looking like douche-bags they would come out smelling like a rose.

[quote name='gokieks']Regarding the Wombat and PC gaming parts, while I don't think Wombat is, as others have called him, a douchebag (at least not when he isn't intentionally trying to be one), I do think he was very far off the mark when his statements in the last episode basically seem to indicate that he thinks the only people affected by the draconian DRM are pirates. It's really completely the opposite, and the people who would actually buy the game (or consider doing so) that are the ones negatively affected.
[/QUOTE]

Well if that s what it seemed like, I apologize. I know that DRM greatly effects the consumers, I never said that it only effects pirates nor should it have been implied. All I said was that if you don't like the DRM send the publisher a message by not buying it, but don't pirate it either. Thats all I said.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Ah man, this is kind of hilarious. I find out I mistyped a post in the last show's thread by hearing it quoted on the CAGcast :lol:[/QUOTE]

Had that happen once. Made me feel like a major dumbass.

"I'M NOT AN IDIOT! I SWEAR!!!!"

[quote name='Curufinwe']Sony marketing failed because Halo sells better than God of War? Put down the crack pipe and instead compare God of War's sales to games in the same genre like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.[/QUOTE]

People think that if a game doesn't sell 5 million plus, it's a failure. Many of Sony's games have long legs. Uncharted 2 didn't sell millions in the first week, but it's sold over 3.5 million copies at this point.

LBP has sold over 3 million. KZ2 over 2 million. I don't know other numbers

Liked the mass effect 2 talk. In regards to DRM thing I think wombat is mostly correct. Going to get that PC now that you are moved in cheapy? I am looking forward to playing starcraft 2 on mine.

[quote name='Wombat']Well if that s what it seemed like, I apologize. I know that DRM greatly effects the consumers, I never said that it only effects pirates nor should it have been implied. All I said was that if you don't like the DRM send the publisher a message by not buying it, but don't pirate it either. Thats all I said.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the previous week's episode, when I think you said something along the lines of "the people who're complaining about the DRM are those who were probably going to pirate anyway", which does makes it seem like the legitimate customers don't care about the DRM (which they do, of course). I know it was probably just a slip-up in terms of how you were answering the question (and heck, give anyone a live microphone to speak into long enough and they're bound to have something like that - I know I would!), but I just figured I'd point out (probably) why the vitriol were flowing. :)

Just jumped into the CAGcast after a 6-month hiatus and I have to say, that (although this is probably really old news) Shipwreck really brings some life into the show, along with Cheapy's allmightiness and Wombat's hit-or-miss humor.
Now off to listen to the back catalog.
Love the show!

Just jumped into the CAGcast after a 6-month hiatus and I have to say that (although this is probably really old news) Shipwreck really brings some new life into the show, along with Cheapy's allmightiness and Wombat's hit-or-miss humor.
Now off to listen to the back catalog.
Love the show!

My only gripe with Wombat's DRM comments are how do you know about a game's specific DRM unless you purchase it or wait for everyone else to do so and complain?

[quote name='finsfan0210']Lets hope they don't Guitar Hero the shit out of the Call of Duty franchise[/QUOTE]
Well it's already happening... an action adventure Call of Duty game? Ugh.

Anyway, good show.

[quote name='200STM']Wow thanks for the show guys Im looking forward to picking up Bioshock 1 now. Im glad I dont need to jump on Bioshock 2, awesome show thanks[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, you don't have Bioshock 1 yet? Well you're in for a treat then. Still one of the best games this gen, and I don't even like it as well as System Shock 2.

[quote name='gokieks']I was referring to the previous week's episode, when I think you said something along the lines of "the people who're complaining about the DRM are those who were probably going to pirate anyway", which does makes it seem like the legitimate customers don't care about the DRM (which they do, of course). I know it was probably just a slip-up in terms of how you were answering the question (and heck, give anyone a live microphone to speak into long enough and they're bound to have something like that - I know I would!), but I just figured I'd point out (probably) why the vitriol were flowing. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seemed pretty clear cut to me-if that's not what Wombat meant, it couldn't have come out worse. Not that I'm always perfectly clear :lol:

[quote name='yukine']Well it's already happening... an action adventure Call of Duty game? Ugh.[/QUOTE]

God of Warfare. :lol:

I think the credit for that belongs to Vinny from Giant Bomb.

Wombat, please stop busting Cheapy's balls when he tells a story that has already been told once or twice on the show before. You guys are on almost 200 episodes and not every new listener goes back to older episodes, so those stories are new to them. I believe in radio its called resetting. (I might be wrong about that though.) Anyways, good show guys.

Hey Cag gang, Enjoyed the show and wanted to cash in on that contest deal.

also wanted to say that Toy Soldiers is awesome and the second avatar award you unlock is a Pickelhaube (the German helmet with a spike). A couple other things, after you beat the game you can play as the Germans in essentially the same levels. Also try out Elite difficulty if you own the game, but be warned your turrets dont fire automatically. It's all manual.

Also, Mrs. Shipwreck is hot

Love
Asian Joe

Like the show, but show some more PC love I'm in my 30's and I'd venture to say many people in this range and older got started gaming on the PC. My TI-994a was a gaming dream rig. dos games on a 286/386/486 was what my childhood ran on.
Shipwreck is a douche for not knowing about King's Quest ;-) Activision should pay those guys to develop the game. God knows they will never make one.
Wombat is a douche for being blatantly anti PC. There are games out there DRM free that do just fine because they are good games. Sins of a solar empire comes to mind. You don't need to cripple a game to the point of being unplayable for fear of piracy, make the game good and people will buy it.
Furthermore early "DRM" was awesome I remember King's Quest and Return to Zork had Actual manuals (thick and full of story) where you were interested in reading the lore behind the game and they quizzed you on it for DRM. Also alone in the dark had a book that you basically had to choose what image was on page 32 or 64 or whatver.
/end rant

Cheapy's dorkiest moment on the CAGcast: "You see Robocop 1 and it's a life changing experience."

Cheapy, whether you have a kid will be up to your wife.

Wombat's best moment on the show: "I guess I'll go get started."

King's Quest is (was) awesome, and check out my auctions.

On the retro-PC Gaming tip, did any of you guys play Sundog or the Ultima games? I pretty much blew my turn-based RPG load playing Ultima I-VI. I have never played a Final Fantasy game for more than 20 minutes because of that. And a few comments about Lord British, please. Geek or (game) God or both?

I skipped the Mass Effect 2 spoiler part. I'm still trying to get through Mass Effect. I have kids and it takes me forever to get through games. I just got back into Fallout 3 expansions.

And a few comments about piracy. Piracy is bad for the industry, obviously. I just can't believe that every person who pirates 20 games would have actually bought those 20 PC games. Let alone 20 new PC games. The ratio is probably worse than 20 to 1 of games pirated to games that 'pirates' could have played. Pirated games do not convert evenly into game sales.

Based on Cheapy's comment on the CAGCast, I'm going to try to reserve judgement on Activision, but it's hard to do; every time Bobby Kotick opens his mouth in public my opinion of Activision drops another notch.

Great show, guys!

Nice show.

Wombat should really stop talking pc gaming. While he is definately right in saying you Shouldnt use the drm as an excuse to pirate, its really actually irrelevant. What matters is that its really annoying, and giving the paying people the worst version.

Oh, and of course they make the pc version because they make money on it.. Theyd just make more if Noone could pirate it.

Are you really never going to play Heavy Rain Cheapy? I haven't played Mass Effect 2 yet so I didn't listen to the second part of the show. Is it everything you wanted and more Wombat?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I really liked how they separated out the Mass Effect part-I REALLY want to avoid spoilers, so that's much appreciated.

Great show, as always.
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that understands Robocop 2 for what it is.
When I first heard you guys were going to spoil Mass Effect 2, I was nervous. Thanks for stealing from Joystiq. Their "spoiled rotten" section is much appreciated for games that I want to play, but haven't. As well as for games I couldn't care about. Like Heavy Rain.

I like this advice from Wombat: if you don't like the DRM of Assassin's Creed 2, don't buy it.

Go spend your money on games that have much more tolerant/no DRM.

I think the main story of DRM, which hasn't been articulated well on the 'casts so far, is that DRM mostly (if not only) punishes those that go through legal routes to get and play games. The DRM in question was cracked within 24 hours, if I'm not mistaken, and then totally screwed over people this past weekend when the DRM servers went down, locking people out of not only multiplayer but single-player experiences.

On the flip side, of course, I think we're to a point where DRM is everywhere and I'm not sure there's a way around it. It seems different in PC games, as there has usually been some form of DRM on those, but in many other mediums (media?), people won't license their stuff to sell digitally (music, movies, books, for example) without some form of DRM. Kind of a catch-22 if you're the guy trying to sell stuff, but not the license holder. There have been many examples in music and e-books where free, non-DRM versions have actually promoted more legitimate sales than anticipated, but I think all that does is encourage people to pay for things that are good (and I've not heard of any stories of it working that way per se with video games).

Other than that, good show guys. I know others like longer shows, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, your best shows seem to be those that last about 90 minutes, tops (I didn't listen to the ME2 stuff). Did any of you guys pick up any of the new releases this week (Battlefield or Final Fantasy)? Will any of you pick up GoW III or Pokemon next week?

/tk

Concerning the $85 Heavy Rain, how much did you play the $200 band kit for The Beatles: Rock Band?

Why would the God of War Collection have been better off coming out a year before God of War III and not a few months before to build hype? Putting it out that early just makes it easier for them to forget about the sequel and not care about it, but they staggered the release of the demo with the Collection and other avenues to help keep the game in people's minds for the last few months before the game came out. I definitely don't agree with the notion that God of War II should've been rushed for the PS3's launch rather than coming for the PS2 that could be played by both PS3 and PS2 owners when it launched.

MLB 10: The Show would be a good game for Cheapy to get because he can play selfishly in the career mode and can cut out all of your defensive or base-running parts if you just want to focus on batting.

I thought Wombat's avatar was wearing some new bondage mask when I saw it on my XBL friends list. Wombat continues his stupidity by saying Chime is a bad game. It's a good music/puzzle game that's relaxing to play.

The Aquaman game was renamed Endless Ocean and became a Wii exclusive.

Good show. You should certainly do more extended segments on games you've played.

bread's done
Back