CAGcast #190: World of Duty

[quote name='sigmajt']Like the show, but show some more PC love I'm in my 30's and I'd venture to say many people in this range and older got started gaming on the PC. My TI-994a was a gaming dream rig. dos games on a 286/386/486 was what my childhood ran on.
Shipwreck is a douche for not knowing about King's Quest ;-) Activision should pay those guys to develop the game. God knows they will never make one.
Wombat is a douche for being blatantly anti PC. There are games out there DRM free that do just fine because they are good games. Sins of a solar empire comes to mind. You don't need to cripple a game to the point of being unplayable for fear of piracy, make the game good and people will buy it.
Furthermore early "DRM" was awesome I remember King's Quest and Return to Zork had Actual manuals (thick and full of story) where you were interested in reading the lore behind the game and they quizzed you on it for DRM. Also alone in the dark had a book that you basically had to choose what image was on page 32 or 64 or whatver.
/end rant[/QUOTE]

I am fed up with the PC gaming hate as well. PC gamers get to enjoy the best graphical experience of a game as well as their own exclusive titles. The Total War series and Dawn of War are excellent titles that console players miss out on. Torchlight was great last year, and we have Starcraft 2 to look forward too. Also another Command and Conquer is coming out!

If the game is good, people will buy, and build mods for it. Case in point, Half Life 2 which came out on PC years before Orange Box. Mods are free on PC, Xbox charges you for everything.

Shipwreck's criticism of Bioshock 2 annoys me. Oh it's a great game, but it doesn't have the magic of the first one. It is an unfair shot at the game because it is impossible to recapture the magic of the first. No sequel can do this. Just comes across as an extremely nitpicky criticism.

Dear Wombat,

Since you wouldn't let go of the whole Assassin's Creed II DRM controversy I feel compelled to raise a point that you might want to consider before continuing to ride your high horse. You see there are a legitimate group of people who are getting screwed because of Ubisoft's new DRM and they are US soldiers in remote army base camps. For troops in Afghanastan, Iraq, etc where access to the internet is limited if not expensive and having a scheme where you always must be connected is not only unfair but a crappy thing to do to our troops. Granted they are not a large % of the user base but symbolically they are sending a bad message to a user base that makes for bad PR.

On the same note I heard that the PC version of Battlefield 2 offers two options, a disc-checking DRM and disc-free internet-based DRM option. I think this would have been the best option for ACII as it would have been a best of both worlds choice for the consumer, the people who this game was made for.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sinewav']Dear Wombat,

Since you wouldn't let go of the whole Assassin's Creed II DRM controversy I feel compelled to raise a point that you might want to consider before continuing to ride your high horse. You see there are a legitimate group of people who are getting screwed because of Ubisoft's new DRM and they are US soldiers in remote army base camps. For troops in Afghanastan, Iraq, etc where access to the internet is limited if not expensive and having a scheme where you always must be connected is not only unfair but a crappy thing to do to our troops. Granted they are not a large % of the user base but symbolically they are sending a bad message to a user base that makes for bad PR.

On the same note I heard that the PC version of Battlefield 2 offers two options, a disc-checking DRM and disc-free internet-based DRM option. I think this would have been the best option for ACII as it would have been a best of both worlds choice for the consumer, the people who this game was made for.[/QUOTE]

I never said I agreed with it, I just I understood why they did something. I was never on a high horse and "not let it go", I said one sentence about it in the last show. I don't work for Ubi and can't change the DRM. That's awful about the troops but I can't change that. It is also one game out of thousands, and a game that if you or I never played we wouldn't really miss anything. I fail to see your point. Ubi did something and I gave my opinion on why they did it.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like the DRM, don't buy the game, but don't pirate it either. Buy something else. Maybe Battlefield.

Just started listening to the show last week, and I love it. You've gained one more subscriber on itunes. This show is better than 10 Super Bowls.

[quote name='Wombat']I never said I agreed with it, I just I understood why they did something. I was never on a high horse and "not let it go", I said one sentence about it in the last show. I don't work for Ubi and can't change the DRM. That's awful about the troops but I can't change that. It is also one game out of thousands, and a game that if you or I never played we wouldn't really miss anything. I fail to see your point. Ubi did something and I gave my opinion on why they did it.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like the DRM, don't buy the game, but don't pirate it either. Buy something else. Maybe Battlefield.[/QUOTE]

Your beliefs and our perception are not always the same. I recall you made the argument that you couldn't see how anyone doesn't have internet access and I just brought up a perfectly valid case. I agree voting with your wallet is the best approach to this not pirating. My main point is that often times on the show you make statements as if they were fact and don't even consider the possibility that it may be more of an assumption.

I believe Wombat #2 will be the next to come, for shipwreck tell him to start baking that ginger creation!
Overall the show was pleasant and this time around CheapyD you were not taking any of Wombats shit and cutting him down left and right. I found this very hilarious and a good show!

I just went back to listen to the end of this after finishing Mass Effect 2. I really like the focused discussion about one game and I hope the CAGcast does more of this.

And Mass Effect 2 is indeed worthy of detailed discussion. I find it interesting to hear about the choices other people made and how they chose to play the game. It's amazing how many different experiences can emerge from just one title.

bread's done
Back