CAGcast #194: Shipwreck's Burden

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart skipped a beat for literally one whole second. Nice prank cheapy, or should I say Super Programmer John.

I don't know what is it about you guys but as of late I can't stop laughing during your podcasts. Keep up the fantastic work as always!

I'm surprised by the lack of enthusiasm from the new Spider-man game... lots of people are liking what they see

But I'm not surprised by CheapyD's love for JC2 since he really like RFG

Hahahaha I made the podcast because of my nerd rage!

Wombat did a perfect impression of exactly how I sounded in my head while I typed that post. I was thinking man this is so nerdy, but sadly I was not quite as angry as Wombat made it sound. I mostly just wanted to post about Wil Wheaton so that other listeners who might appreciate seeing what he was up to could find out.

Seriously though, thanks for the laffs. Best April Fools day ever.

More skittles discussion. Skittles suck, there just bad. They stain your hands when you try eating them. If you want some fruit flavored goodness get a real fruit flavored candy, get some starbursts.

On the subject of skittles has anyone, shipwreck included, tried the new skittles that have two different flavors, one on the outside and one on the inside?

Thanks for another good podcast. I'm glad to hear that wombat enjoyed his PAX east experience.

I enjoyed your discussion of Just Cause 2 as I'm at about the same place in the game as you guys (7 hours in with a single digit completion percentage). I really like tearing up the military bases and villages but wish that the minimap/item indicator setup was more like in the saboteur. Gliding around a village looking for that one last item to pickup or destroy is getting old pretty fast.

I also think that Cheapy seriously overestimates how much other people care about his wang. Japanese dudes are not stalking shower rooms just waiting to peek at his junk.

Let me first start by saying I hate April 1st ...... but that made me laugh.

I can't agree more about issues taken with DLC. Firstly it has made the developers lazy, there is a huge "ship now fix later" mentality (see PS3 Bayonetta) that has infected the industry. It used to be that you couldn't ship a buggy game("major bugs") now its "acceptable" as long as you have a patch out for it within the first month. I don't expect every game to be perfect at launch but some games have been down right horrible.

Secondly 90% of DLC falls into two categories Those being either Tacked on or flat out Surgically removed from the original game (even worse when its included on the game disk at launch). There is that rare rare instance where a game comes out with some awesome DLC that feels like it add something and its legitimately extra but those instances are few and far.... really far between.

Its sorta like motion controls Not every game really needs them, there are a few games that hugely benefit from them ..the majority don't.. but it seems like they are tacking them on to EVERYTHING nowadays.

So yeah it has only really managed to make what was once a "hey its only $10" into more of a "$10 bucks?" but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe the overall quality of DLC will increase since there is such a bandwagon competition to turn a $60 game into a $120 game over the span of the games life cycle.

What I miss more than anything are the good oll days of fan created "DLC" things like what we saw from back in the heyday of games like Quake ...... hell we wouldn't have had a Teamfortress 2 if some awesome fans//modders hadn't made TF1 for the original quake. That's the sort of thing that Most companies will never be able to accomplish because for the most part at some point they just seem to stop caring about the game(s). If companies could some how attain that level of fanatical support for their own games they would be sitting atop one hell of a goldmine.

Yet another great show by the Terrific Trio. This was my 10th CAGcast and I am so glad I started listening back in January! Thank you Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck for your continued hard work and keep it up!

I was hoping for more Crecente bashing. Thought it was pretty funny how Cheapy kept bringing it up when I'm pretty sure Wombat didn't want to discuss it.

Did you guys play the first Just Cause? It was equally huge, looked breathtaking from up high, and had hideous voiceacting... there was a woman in the first game which is actually worse than the Reaper lady, seriously!

My only real problem with the new game is that they took away Rico's signature dual handguns (with unlimited ammo). Maybe they'll be in some DLC.

I like open world style games, but it sounds like Just Cause 2 has a bit too many flaws. Sounds like I should set my "buy it" level to about $10-$15. From the description of the voice acting, it sounds like a game that would have been played on Broken Pixels.

[quote name='Zelos']Let me first start by saying I hate April 1st ...... but that made me laugh.

I can't agree more about issues taken with DLC. Firstly it has made the developers lazy, there is a huge "ship now fix later" mentality (see PS3 Bayonetta) that has infected the industry. It used to be that you couldn't ship a buggy game("major bugs") now its "acceptable" as long as you have a patch out for it within the first month. I don't expect every game to be perfect at launch but some games have been down right horrible.

Secondly 90% of DLC falls into two categories Those being either Tacked on or flat out Surgically removed from the original game (even worse when its included on the game disk at launch). There is that rare rare instance where a game comes out with some awesome DLC that feels like it add something and its legitimately extra but those instances are few and far.... really far between.

Its sorta like motion controls Not every game really needs them, there are a few games that hugely benefit from them ..the majority don't.. but it seems like they are tacking them on to EVERYTHING nowadays.

So yeah it has only really managed to make what was once a "hey its only $10" into more of a "$10 bucks?" but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe the overall quality of DLC will increase since there is such a bandwagon competition to turn a $60 game into a $120 game over the span of the games life cycle.

What I miss more than anything are the good oll days of fan created "DLC" things like what we saw from back in the heyday of games like Quake ...... hell we wouldn't have had a Teamfortress 2 if some awesome fans//modders hadn't made TF1 for the original quake. That's the sort of thing that Most companies will never be able to accomplish because for the most part at some point they just seem to stop caring about the game(s). If companies could some how attain that level of fanatical support for their own games they would be sitting atop one hell of a goldmine.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, sir. Both DLC and Motion Controls are just tacked on, don't add to the experience and sometimes detract from it. For the most part.

On one hand, there we have the over-populated, minigame genre and the poor ports (Rygar Wii). But, on the other hand, there are immerse games that take advantage of the motion controls (Zack & Wiki) and others that have subtle, yet experience-improvement motion controls like No More Heroes.

Regarding DLC, I'm an old-fashioned guy. I feel that when I buy a disc, I'm paying for a finished product, not a half-assed experience at the expense of the developer/publisher's will to complete it after launch. That's not to say I don't see the value in the "real" DLC, the one that adds value and prolongs an already complete product.

Good show, a new CAGcast always makes cubicle life a little easier to swallow. For some reason I can never get the show through the iTunes subscription though, I always have to download it directly.

Awesome show, as usual. Wombat, I have also been uprooted twice due to the kids and now play games in the basement. The spiders and centipedes crawling along the walls really make survival horror games that much better. Ship, I hope you pick that Donkey Kong up and become the next Billy Mitchell, although I think some doctor in New York just beat his score.

Solid show guys. Cheapy you need to relax and quit dwelling on the whole "Jap guys will look at my wang" thing.... Surely at your age (I'm 28) you know about the "show-er" and "grow-er" roles and every guy fits in to one or the other. And even if you are a grow-er using the sterotype about Japanese dudes you still would probably win out (I guess the question is, does Jew penis trump Jap penis?) Anyway, when listening to the news where you guys discussed the Gamestop lawsuit Cheapy briefly mentioned a sticker, which I think is the easiest solution to this matter. Just needs to be a disclaimer about how a "full retail experience may require additional paid DLC" or something ... kind of like the same way the ESRB covers games with online using that generic "gameplay experience may change when online" crap. Well, as always keep up the good work and I look forward to making another work day next week more tolerable thanks to your podcast.

Cheapy, why give EA a free pass on charging for an extended demos when you raked Sony over the coals for doing the same with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue?

Maybe Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions will be good, maybe it won't. Rocksteady came out of nowhere and made a great Batman game when no one thought it could be done. What gets me is that Activision has a developer with a great track record for making Marvel comics games: Raven Software. X-Men Legens 1 & 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance (the first one not the second), and X-Men Origins Wolverine. Why not give Spider-Man to them?

Wombat, you should listen to more Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass in order to extend your GoDaddy background music playlist. Personally, I'd love to hear your take on "Tijuana Taxi" on the next show.

I just want to say that I laughed really really hard when wombat said he was a sammy since my brother was also a sammy at the university of cincinatti.

Also my brother is a douchebag. I don't know if that's valid information or not, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

I've gotta agree with Wombat on calling 'foul' to all the behind closed doors, media only shenanigans at PAX. Wasn't the whole idea of PAX to be an event FOR gamers?

That said, with PAX East being held in March you have to expect stuff like this to go down. Publishers aren't going to pre-maturely blow their wads in regards to their new games with E3 just a few months away. If they did, they'd end up with a sticky mess on their hands.

Not sure when PAX West is, but if it's held after E3 chances are they'll be more 'hands on' opportunities for gamers as opposed to PAX East.

The reason you keep getting the odd flavored Skittles is because you keep buying them. If you stop buying them, then they're replace them with something else that will sell good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am absolutely in love with Just Cause 2. I wonder if the design doc just says "Badass Simulator".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back