CAGcast #203: Kazoo!

Really Wombat? I just felt uncomfortable the past two episodes. Wombat you are milking the cats nipples too hard. The list of what people thought of Cheapy was a bit childish... It just made me feel like I was gossiping. I can vaguely get your position, but he seemed harmless and you keep digging into him this time. Wombat, you were pretty dickish to Ship when he started and he didn't whine. Love the show guys, just get along and bring the chuckles! The podcast is outstanding and I've grown to look forward to it every week. Finally signed up after this weeks.

Besides none of us being PC gamers, I think the main stumbling block for covering them on the show is trying to keep all three hosts interested in talking about them. If one of us were to get a gaming rig, the other two would have a really hard time caring about games they will likely never play. That said, I'm going to guess OnLive will open up some discussion on the show in the near future.

Maybe do a pre-recorded PC minute with one of the CAG PC enthusiasts highlighting one PC game between segments?

I will admit OnLive might duplicate a portion of the PC experience, it is highly unlikely it will duplicate the thrill of picking up a game dirt cheap on Steam (like Borderlands and all the DLC for around $20), and playing it immediately after it downloads. OnLive will stream a purchase immediately, but its bottleneck, internet speed/caps, will be a serious bottleneck that will be difficult if not impossible for many CAGs to fix, versus upgrading a hardware is an "easier" fix for most PC enthusiasts.

Ship, I respect the time the three of you take to do the podcast, cover games, and participate in the community (while only one of you actually makes a living based on CAG). As the consoles grow older, and as Steam continues to expand as the best online retailer my guess is more CAGs will move into PC/MAC gaming. Maybe that guy that makes a living of the web site could set you or Wombat with some mid-range PCs to play most budget titles.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really post a lot on this site, or comment on the podcast (which I have been enjoying for a couple years!), but I had to come here and say I thought Wombat acted like a whiny, petty douche in this episode.

In the previous show when Cheapy managed to offend Wombat with a frank comment about how he didn't feel like he actually knew Wombat THAT well since part of getting to know someone includes things you can only get face to face. I've had plenty of online buddies, and when I've met a few of them, it wasn't instant chemistry. I know what Cheapy was saying in that show, and it shouldn't have been taken as offense by Wombat. Maybe if Cheapy actually DID know Wombat better, he would have known that Wombat has a sensitive vag and would probably read into a vague comment something that isn't there and get pouty about it.

This type of thing happens; not everyone's emotions or ways of interpreting things are calibrated the same way. Maybe Cheapy shouldn't have even ventured into those waters with that comment, but it happened, and this episode's apology was the right thing to do, even if I think Wombat shouldn't be upset anyway.

Having to apologize like that, publicly, on air, is a tough thing to do, and took a decent amount of humility on Cheapy's part. It wasn't fun, I imagine. But then Wombat goes and actively DOES RESEARCH in order to compile a list of people shitting on Cheapy. What a petty, childish thing to do. It was obvious Cheapy did not intend to offend with his remarks last show, but Wombat gets his apology, plus an intentional stab at Cheapy. It's pretty disgusting and really disappointing.

I'm surprised Cheapy didn't come to the conclusion that Robert Ashley must be a pothead due to his voice since that's what everybody would say during the GFW Radio days. If Cheapy wants a good podcast, he should check out the Drunk Tank podcast that Rooster Teeth does, which should have all of the over-the-top co-worker hatred he could ask for so he won't have to take it out on Wombat ever again.

Good show.

To my speculation both wombat and Cheapy are in the wrong with that podcast the other week, cheapy used the wrong phrases as it sometimes happens and wombat took it wrong but wombat shouldnt have took it so openly in the podcast to call attention to himself, yes it must have been hurtfull but I have been through alot of situations like that and I either just sucked it up or brought it up around closed doors.

Even all that wombat should be graciuosly humble toward cheapy beacuse he took time out to think about the situation alot , most people wouldnt have done such a thing or gave it a second thought.

PS I dont beleve cheap is " offputting" or " standoffish" in any way he seems like hes a character that you have to get to know for him to open up.

You guys really want to know what Cheapy is all about.?

Ok check this out, I know Cheapy D personally, and when I say personally, I mean it like the way Cheapy knows Wombat...I don't really know him all that well. But, I have met him and Shipwreck at E3 the past 3 years, and Cheapy has always been very cool.

Shipwreck really opened up this year; he seemed very energetic and eager to meet his listeners. Very nice guy, but he can't rap.

First impressions of Wombat: He is small and funny looking, but I think it was the red vest that made him look funny. But none the less he was willing to rap on camera, even though he stole Cheapy's Raps. He was also willing to do dance with our crew and a bum outside the bar, so that should tell you what kind of guy Wombat is, he is fun!

But here is the real example on how good of a friend Cheapy is to Wombat.

During the CAG party at E3, I commented on Wombat's size to Cheapy, on how I thought Wombat was smaller in person. Cheapy D almost seemed bothered by the comment, and replied "no he's not". Again, I tried to convince Cheapy on Wombat's size and Cheapy again seemed bothered and reply with the same answer, but this time with a much more fierce voice 'no he is not'.

So there you have it Wombat, Cheapy, although knowing that you are small, defended you and proved that he is a great friend, and cares for you by sticking up for you.

On another note, for those calling Cheapy D standoffish, I think it all boils down to the type of person you are. If you are intimidated by him, then he might seem like a douche, but if you actually treat him like a friend and actually approach him and talk to him like a man, you might think differently.

I can't stand all the Wombat stroking. He has no problem giving shit to other people but when it comes to him he is "sensitive." Wombat is a douche bag and he can't take a joke.

Hi CheapyD, Wombat, Shipwreck,

Re: King of Kong, which came up a few times. Don't know if you CARE at all about the "facts" in the movie, if yes - if you want to quote facts from the movie and so on - please have a look at this blog entry of the awesome Mr. Jason Scott. http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/1308

He doesn't like the movie because they tweaked a lot of history and facts. Longer version with a lot of arguments:

http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/1310

- Daniel

[quote name='AleetPanda']I can't stand all the Wombat stroking. He has no problem giving shit to other people but when it comes to him he is "sensitive." Wombat is a douche bag and he can't take a joke.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Wombat treated Cheapy 10 times worse this ep. Yet, Cheapy was able to laugh and try to have fun with Wombat's reading other people's negative comments of Cheapy. It was an intentional form of revenge where Cheapy's comments last week were never intented to hurt his friend.

Cheapy offered a sincere apology, and Wombat barely accepted it. Sounds like he has major self image problems.

[quote name='shipwreck']Besides none of us being PC gamers, I think the main stumbling block for covering them on the show is trying to keep all three hosts interested in talking about them. If one of us were to get a gaming rig, the other two would have a really hard time caring about games they will likely never play. That said, I'm going to guess OnLive will open up some discussion on the show in the near future.[/QUOTE]

You guys should at least give Starcraft 2 a shot. This is the biggest game release in years, and to be completely ignored by the Cagcast would be a travesty.

I still rank SC online as the best multiplayer experience a person can have.

No online on Demon's Souls review copy also explains why it's a little more difficult. In the game, world tendency (whiter or darker) affects how much damage the enemies do and how much HP they have, it starts at neutral. When connected online the servers adds up the world tendency of all those games connected (most are pure or near pure white) and shifts the tendency of your game closer to the server average each time you log on. Eventually all your worlds will be just below pure white. You also miss out on the helpful hints left by players which point to hidden items and shortcuts.

The most important tips for level 1 are
1.)Explore to find the two switches which unlock shortcuts in the level
2.)Find the cling ring which gives you 33% more health
3.)Save the fire bombs for the boss.

[quote name='guardian_owl']No online on Demon's Souls review copy also explains why it's a little more difficult. In the game, world tendency (whiter or darker) affects how much damage the enemies do and how much HP they have, it starts at neutral. When connected online the servers adds up the world tendency of all those games connected (most are pure or near pure white) and shifts the tendency of your game closer to the server average each time you log on. Eventually all your worlds will be just below pure white. You also miss out on the helpful hints left by players which point to hidden items and shortcuts.

3.)Save the fire bombs for the boss.[/QUOTE]
The review build had the online, but they shut down the servers when the game launched.

[quote name='guardian_owl']No online on Demon's Souls review copy also explains why it's a little more difficult. In the game, world tendency (whiter or darker) affects how much damage the enemies do and how much HP they have, it starts at neutral. When connected online the servers adds up the world tendency of all those games connected (most are pure or near pure white) and shifts the tendency of your game closer to the server average each time you log on. Eventually all your worlds will be just below pure white. You also miss out on the helpful hints left by players which point to hidden items and shortcuts.

3.)Save the fire bombs for the boss.[/QUOTE]

Great Tips dude, I just started playing the game last night. I did notice all the hints on the floor. I will do just that.

The Playstation Store is taking forever to update today.

Foooooorrrrrreeeeeeeeeevvvvvveeeer. I'm boycotting Sony because of this.

I actually missed ep 202 due to being away from my home computer because of a business trip. If 203 was considered an improvement, then I'm not going back to download it.

Thank goodness Shipwreck is drama free. Which is odd, considering shipwrecks are pretty effin' dramatic.

My very first CAGCast. I suspect it was the worst one to start becoming a CAG podcast listener; whatever happened in the session prior to this must be unresolved. The show was painfully awkward at times. Dear Wombat, please shed the snarky and snide comments - it makes for a very unpleasant and uncomfortable show. The quotes from anonymous persons were beyond immature.

I'm undecided if I'll ever listen to another show.

Regarding that whole friend bit, I've been a CAG member since the launch year and initially had both Cheapy and Wombat on my friends list. Cheapy removed me once and then I had made another request and he accepted, then mysteriously he removed me again and I didn't bother to request again. Wombat has never removed me although he doesn't answer any messages I send him. I'll leave the interpretation open.

I'm late to the party on the last 2 podcasts.

On the previous E3 podcast, it was an awkward one to listen to. Personally, I don't think Cheapy realized that his(and some of Boatcrash's) remarks were hurtful to Wombat. Althought I felt bad for Wombat, if he would have been taking my food off my plate without asking, he would have got punched.

I was glad to see Cheapy smooth things out at the start, then the podcast just turned childish (thanks to Wombat). Dude(Wombat), I know you were hurt but going around trying to get dirt on Cheapy to sling back at him was just f'n childish and petty. Seriously. After last weeks sour turn of events, the cast should have talked it out "off the air". A public apology from Cheapy was good but from there it should have been games all the way. Maybe Cheapy is standoffish. Hell the guy says he doesn't have a lot of friends maybe thats why, but there's no need to dig up a list of people to slam him back. Just Pathetic.

The CAGcast is my favorite podcast, because of the 3 different personalities. I just hope we don't have too many more of these sappy mudsling childish shows to go through.

[quote name='thebogdan']My very first CAGCast. I suspect it was the worst one to start becoming a CAG podcast listener; whatever happened in the session prior to this must be unresolved. The show was painfully awkward at times. Dear Wombat, please shed the snarky and snide comments - it makes for a very unpleasant and uncomfortable show. The quotes from anonymous persons were beyond immature.

I'm undecided if I'll ever listen to another show.[/QUOTE]

Give it another shot. I didn't like parts of the last show either. I just finished a rant on it.
Having said that it's my favorite podcast and try to get others to listen.

Listen to another show or two. Cheapy D, Wombat, are normally fun to listen to. Shipwreck has some funny moments but most of all the dude knows gaming and is informative.

Demon's Souls drove me nuts, but it sounds like I had the same problem as Shipwreck. I appreciate it for what it is, but it is not the Action RPG for me.

Yeah, I'm getting pretty annoyed by the game, I can't get passed the first level either. There seems to be a strategy, I read all tips left behind by other gamers, but still get my ass handed to. The worst thing about it, once you die ,you go back to the beginning, which gets frustrating, Luckly for me, I was on 1mg of Xanax, so it allowed me to go through it about 14 times before I fell asleep.

I will not give up, I think I'll read some more tips.

I'm starting to feel your pain Ship, I'm trying to get these screws out of the PS3 tray and it's pissing me off.

Wow.. 15 minutes of apologizing to Wombat? really? I mean, Really?! In the infamous words of The Godfather: "You can act like a Man!"..

And really, getting 5 "quotes" from people to trash Cheapy? think I saw that type of action in my daughter's 3rd grade classroom a few weeks ago.. For some reason, I just saw a smirk on Wombat's face as he was reading that, especially when he says he's starting with the nicest one first.. and it just grew into a huge grin by the end of the quotes.. hope you gave Cheapy a reach-around while you f'ed him with that 'bit'.. how long did it take to plan and prep for that?

And I felt bad for ginger-balls back there.. how uncomfortable that must have been to stay on the line while it's being recorded..

Time to bring the quality back up on the casts, guys.. I'm used to higher quality from you (though I got tired of all the poop talk for all those episodes really fast).. give Shipwreck some more time to talk, at least he's adding value to the casts right now.. Wombat's role appears to be just making snarky (and sometimes even funny) comments throughout the casts..

I find myself forwarding through the cast trying to find something of value for me to listen to it.. guess it's the cheap bastard in me who wants to see what value or entertainment I'll get out of giving up 90 minutes of my life to you.. you used to be in my top 3 (have to listen to) each week (behind D'toid and Major Nelson).. now you're on my "ehh, if I don't get to it, that's ok, I won't miss much" list..

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong..

Wombat,

I have to disagree with your sentiment about Raven Software. They have always been known as a FPS hours, and only recently have done a lot of action/rpg titles.

I mean, Quake IV, Jedi Academy, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Soldier of Fortune I and II, Hexen, Hexen II, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and several others.

I just did not want to see Raven get a bad rap as a subpar FPS development house.

LTTP, but I have to add my two cents.

Cheapy is nothing short of a class act. I think we've hung out for the last three E3s and he's always friendly, welcoming, and in good spirits. No idea if the last descriptor in medically enhanced. This year, he picked up the lunch check without flinching for a group of eight of us. The worst I could say about him is that he doesn't live up to his moniker. I was actually surprised to hear some of the descriptors on the podcast.

Additionally, Wombat and Shipwreck are also great guys. I couldn't think of a bad thing to say about either of them if I tried. I probably spent a few hours with Wombat; never got the loud vibe at all.

bread's done
Back