CAGcast #203: Kazoo!

Jesus Ship, did I hear this correctly? You have an Xbox upstairs and an Xbox downstairs?

Is this like a 'his & hers' Xbox situation?
Does your butler dust them off from time to time?

Good show gents

I can't believe Cheapy apologized to WomBABY !

Cheapy basically called him out for his apparently obnoxious and rude behavior, which WomBABY conceded to. Yet instead of handling it like an adult, Wombaby throws a tantrum and Cheapy gives in.

I suppose the next step is for Cheapy to apologize that his food was not delicious enough for Wombat and change the site to www.wombabygamer.com since he (not Cheapy) wears the pants

Man, this argument at the beginning sounds like Cheapy trying to placate a girlfriend. Wombat kind of needs to grow up.

You all work well together and I'm glad that mommy and daddy made up. I was worried that Shipwreck was going to get sent to another foster home.

About this whole "Wombgate" scandal, You didnt even say anything negative about him. As a matter of fact, you only spoke of the rude ass things he did, and spoke the truth.

Lets go back and count how many times Wombat has called Cheapy "Baldy", or Shipwreck "Firecrotch", out of the blue. Now we have password for when Wombat ha s his wittle Feewings hurt.

Wombat, love you on the show, but you should look in the mirror, not at your co-hosts.

Cheapy and Ship know that Wombat can't take being poked at. Ship said so himself in a previous episode. It was just a case of Cheapy forgot. Everyone has friends and we know there are things we don't do to certain friends. The apology was a bit long but definitely necessary. In Cheapy's defense about the 5 people Wombat asked about him. Everyone has to admit probably 85-90% of people on the net are just plain strange. When he only gets to come to America once or twice a year and he has 300 people come up to him and act like they know him because of the website and listening to the cag cast he probably has a certain state of mind in those types of events. In a regular situation I'm sure he's great. Cheapy's also seems like someone who likes to keep his hands to himself so taking food of his plate is the thing you can't do to Cheapy. For who built the Transformers I believe it was Hasborotron right?

Ive listened since the first podcast and Wombat have always annoyed me and struck me as juvenile and self centered. But this was really too much. What a child he is - and surely he must be not only self centered but self obsessed. He makes me sick now. I used to tolerate him but this is enough.

And all his slimy snake like attempts at getting everything for free. "Free games! Im important so give me stuff!" Yuk! And ofcourse everyone needs to talk about him. All other people in the industry must respect the child wombat. Hes really a loud and important voice for all gamers and industry.. yeah right.. Hes a piss ant with too much ego and too little ability is what he is.

Still - I think he belongs in the CAG cast. He occationally sais some funny things and ive grown to get used to him hanging around the mic when the adults are talking on the podcast. So keep him around. Just tell him to pipe down a few notches and to stop being such an asshole. The few times when he actually genuinely talks about games and forget about himself he can actually be quite entertaining, so get well soon.

Good luck CAG cast!

Keep poopin'

I honestly thought you were a huge asshole last episode Cheapy, you ripped on Wombat a little too much. There is a difference between "busting balls" and hurting your friends feelings. It was very disrespectful to basically call Wombat loud, rude and annoying after he mentioned multiple times that the reason he enjoyed E3 so much was being able to spend time with his friends.

Saying that Wombat isn't your friend, whether that's what you meant to say or not, was mean. Wombat is probably one of your better friends now in Japan. Wombats mother question serves right to show you how stupid your comments were. Now, as Shipwreck said, "I love you both, now let's put this behind us".

I should also mention that I honestly feel that Wombat and Shipwreck seem a lot more fun to be around then you. I like all three of you but you seem almost uninterested in most things. I can fully understand why people would call you bored and standoffish

OK, anyway....

Hulu charging is BS! (but I can't say I did not see it coming)
I guess I can see it as a "cable alternative", but that as a business model just seems odd to me for some reason.
Waiting for ESPN360 until November is a drag, but at least they are not going to charge extra. (providing your ISP carries it).

Still feelin' the banana icecream love!

My 2 cents...

Cheapy needs to work on apologies but the sentiment was there.

The people's opinions of Cheapy really don't seem to take into consideration that he is from Japan and the time change and travel time would account for a lot of what people would consider his attitude and energy. (not being the life of the party). I would imagine a party in his time zone with people who are 12 hours off schedule, just flew hours, then attended a conference for a couple days, that most people would not be the life of the party.

Hulu plus is exciting for me, I haven't watched TV that wasn't on Hulu or Netflix for more than 2 years, I have an antenna not cable and we watch the news, everything else I watch on the computer or the PS3 and 360. I have an iPad so now I can watch more Hulu content and I can watch it in many more places. I am in the minority not having cable so I don't know how many people the plus will appeal to but it has my name all over it. I don't mind that there are still commercials, they are very minimal compared to regular TV and if that is what it takes to keep Hulu alive so I don't have to resort to other more questionable, means to watch the shows I enjoy, it is still way cheaper than cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TheToiletDuck']I wanted to say Kazoo after Wombat's quote of the guy that ditched on a party.

Also, i love all three of you. CAG group hug!

Edit: Wombat, the Quintessons created the Transformers. You see them in the movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintessa[/QUOTE]

That is only partly true. Only in the TV show did the Quintessons create the transformers. In the Comic it was Primus the huge robotic god that created the transformers. And in the Micheal Bay movies, those were created by him taking a big Cheapy D sized dookie all over my childhood.

I didn't think they were that hard on Wombat when this all started, but yet I know exactly how Wombat feels because I have been in that situation. A few people think everything is funny and they are having a good time messing with you and in the meantime you aren't having fun. Getting piled on can suck.

Now, do we get to have a feedback session during periodic CagCasts to point out when Wombat is being an a jerk (or other descriptive words or phrases to describe how he acts)? In light of events, fair is fair - right? Now understand, I laugh at this stuff and at these moments and it usually adds to the show. I don't know how many times when I am listening to the CagCast Wombat says stuff and acts in manners that make me wonder how can Cheapy put up with him on his show. He can be rather obnoxious and I don't hear Cheapy and Shipwreck laughing.

To wrap up, no I don't think there should be feedback like I mentioned. I don't want any of our esteemed hosts changing who they are. We are lucky to have 3 diverse hosts. But, if somebody wrongs another, fix it up but don't follow up with a little smack down on one of the other people. That's kind of like I except your apology but only if I get to point out your not perfect. A little artificial to me and like payback was more important. It wasn't any better having Cheapy being very bothered about the feedback Wombat shared from other people. That is almost worse than what started this whole thing because Cheapy wasn't hurt by something Wombat did or said but by other people - and Wombat and Shipwreck are in the "know" and Cheapy isn't. If those people really had issues, they should be adults and let Cheapy know themselves. Speak up or forever hold your peace. Using Wombat was rather wimpy and childish.

Just my 1/2 cent opinion from my 1/2 pint mind.

Good Show guys.

I disagree with you guys on Hulu+ they want to be an alternative to cable. Anything on Hulu is On Demand so you don't "need" a DVR and its only 10 bucks. Your 10 also lets you watch from any PC, iPhone, iPad, basically anything that can get to Hulu. If you could get 75% of your TV from that and the other from a combo of Over The Air, Netflix, and Ala Cart Downloads you could save a ton of money each month. Yeah its not for everyone, but there is a legitimate use case for some people and maybe this kind of competition will start to bring down cable, and satellite prices.

I met all three of you guys at the CAG E3 Party. Wombat gave me this prize pack, so here's proof Wombat > CheapyD:

[IMG-C=6084]15909[/IMG-C]
[IMG-c=6084]15907[/IMG-c]

In all seriousness, CheapyD seemed like a nice guy at the party. I will say he appeared more like a detached businessman though. Still, this could be a side effect of paying lots of money for the party in the first place. Shipwreck and Wombat seemed a little more outgoing at the event, but these personality differences aren't that big of a deal. :bouncy:

Anyway, good show. I don't think everyone should keep making a big deal about last week's podcast. Sure, it was a little heartbreaking hearing a "sad panda Wombat", but everyone apologized for it.

I've been interested in giving Demon's Souls a try myself. I should have the UK version coming in soon, so I hope I'll enjoy it.

[quote name='apathylad']I met all three of you guys at the CAG E3 Party. Wombat gave me this prize pack, so here's proof Wombat > CheapyD:[/QUOTE]

I'm really glad that figure found a new home :) I made those prize packs!:D

By the way, even though Hulu Plus is pretty much worthless compared to Netflix and Free Hulu, DVR by itself for cable is 10 bucks a month.

That's just for the privilege of using DVR and not even including the TV.

Regarding the Move, Kinect battle. I am not saying that the move will sell better than the Kinect, but it has 2 HUGE things going for it.

First it can be advertised as a starting price of 50 dollars. While this might not seem like a huge deal to everyone who follows various gaming news sites. This is a great ending to the commercials. Think how Mircosofts 360 commercials end "Xbox 360 starting at $199."

That is how Sony will be marketing their product "Playstation Move STARTING at $50"

Second, almost everyone seems to forget the big deal that sony signed with Coke-Cola. It is being called the biggest marketing promotion in Coke-Cola history. This along with get the Move in peoples minds.

Overall I think the fact that the move is very similar to the wii, plus the Blu-ray capabilities of the PS3 and the things mentioned above will allow the move to have great market penetration. I don't know how much the move will sell, but it will sell well.

I'm going to have to disagree with Wombat about Raven not being strong in shooters. Their "roots" are clearly planted in the bloodshed of shooters, not superhero action RPGs.

Let's look that their catalog. Games in bold are shooters.

Black Crypt (1992)
Shadowcaster (1993)
CyClones (1994)
Heretic (1994)
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (1994)
HeXen (1995)
HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel (1996)
Necrodome (1996)
Mageslayer (1997)
Take No Prisoners (1997)
HeXen II (1997)
HeXen II: Portal of Praevus (1998)
Heretic II (1998)
Soldier of Fortune (2000)
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force (2000)
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force: Virtual Voyager (2001)
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003)
X-Men Legends (2004)
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (2005)
Quake 4 (2005)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
Wolfenstein (2009)
Singularity (2010)

Their last shooter wasn't great, but it wasn't their IP either, whereas Singularity is. I don't think it's going to be a Halo killer, but they have the heritage to make a solid shooter. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see another Raven action RPG game, but I'd rather see something of their own creation.

Semi off topic, but I use GoDaddy. About to renew a lot of domains, but the last coupon - the $8 domain - is not working. May be since I'm renewing.

I wanted to say something about the DLC topic. For example the Alan Wake DLC, sure it might be too late for those that picked up the game at launch, but for those who get the game in about a month or so, that DLC is perfect. And then you also have cases for games like Mass Effect 2, in which people might want to replay it before Mass Effect 3 comes out, and once again the DLC is right there if you want to get it. Same goes for some sandbox or sports games, in which you might replay it and feel like getting it.

I'm surprised out of all the video game podcasts out there to hear you chose to listen to A Life Well Wasted. It's not bad by any means, and the production quality is top notch, but for some reason I find it sort of dull. Not to mention he only releases one every 6-8 months. I much prefer the best of the weekly stuff (like the Bombcast).

Great episode, though.

I was the 1st and the one who ask shipwreck for the game. If there are any other games you want to start a tour for Ship sign me up. Great show, glad everyone made up.

Wombat your chipmunk voice was the highlight of the show... you gotta intro with that every week!

Plus torturing CheapyD's never a bad thing either...

lmao i thought the 5 quotes about cheapy and womberto were really funny, and cheapys apology seemed misguided and insincere. but great show nonetheless

Great Show Guys. Glad to hear that Cheapy apologized to Wombat. Hope that this means the three amigos are once back together again.

Jesus Wombat.. why don't you just go and buy a nice pretty dress on cheapyD’s dime to make yourself feel better. You had a hissy fit last E3 wrap-up show as well. Do you menstruate yearly?

I enjoyed this show. I am giving it my official seal of approval. Its nice to see everyone getting along again.

@Cheapy - I recommend Doug Loves Movies podcast. Look for the one with Craig Robinson from the office, he's super high the whole time and hilarious.

good show. wombat delivered with the 5 people and womberto seriously needs to come around more. i like hulu but i have no need for it on my 360 when i can easily get it free on my pc.

Been listening since Episode 1, this is the first (I think) time I've been inspired to write in, but Wombat sure knows how to drive a point right into the fucking ground.

For the first 20 minutes I thought I was listening to The View. Sweet Jeebus, are we men in our 30s or teenage girls?

Hey, I got a mention on the CAGcast! Go me! I spit out my soda when you thought I was the guy who talked to Wombat. Hilarious!

Like Cheapy said, I met all three of you at e3 (in the case of Cheapy and Shipwreck, for the second time) and thought all three of you were pretty great. Then again, I might be a little biased, since Cheapy bought me lunch and I have "Wombat Liberation Army" tattooed on my arm. My girlfriend, also met you, and is less biased. She offered this insight:

Cheapy D: Seems nice, and very generous, but also seems shy and very aware of his own height (probably from living in Japan). Snappy dresser, but needs to stand up straight.

Shipwreck: The Favorite. Shipwreck was cute, and very personable. Ship was the most friendly of the three.

Wombat: It was very brave of him to wear his Bakugan jacket into a bar full of smelly dudes. Wombat was the most outgoing of the three, but she wasn't sure why anyone would put a furry on their card.

So there you go. You're all good people, but apparently Shipwreck is the best. Good thing for me that he's married, or we'd have to have a good old-fashioned West-Side-Story rumble.

[quote name='zander1123']Regarding the Move, Kinect battle. I am not saying that the move will sell better than the Kinect, but it has 2 HUGE things going for it.

First it can be advertised as a starting price of 50 dollars. While this might not seem like a huge deal to everyone who follows various gaming news sites. This is a great ending to the commercials. Think how Mircosofts 360 commercials end "Xbox 360 starting at $199."

That is how Sony will be marketing their product "Playstation Move STARTING at $50"

Second, almost everyone seems to forget the big deal that sony signed with Coke-Cola. It is being called the biggest marketing promotion in Coke-Cola history. This along with get the Move in peoples minds.

Overall I think the fact that the move is very similar to the wii, plus the Blu-ray capabilities of the PS3 and the things mentioned above will allow the move to have great market penetration. I don't know how much the move will sell, but it will sell well.[/QUOTE]

Move has a bunch of major issues it needs to address:

1) It needs to differentiate itself better from the Wii. Why do you need Move if you already have a Wii?

2) Multiple configurations are going to confuse the hell out of casual consumers. Some games use one Move controller, some use two Move controllers, some use one Move controller plus one sub controller. Add in the camera and it's a major issue. Probably half the people that bought a Wii required help to even connect the system to their TV. This is a huge barrier for these people.

3) Cost. There's no way Sony will advertise it starting at $50 because of the consumer backlash they'd face. It will be expensive as hell to get a family of four playing Sports Champions.

4) It lacks a killer app. Wii has Wii Sports. Dance Central at least shows promise of this for Kinect. What is the Move killer app?

5) Consumer noise and lack of focus. Sony is going to be advertising 3D, exclusive titles, exclusive content and Move all at the same time this fall.

I love the show and have listened since episode1 and I have to admit, while the segment was funny, having 5 people talk shit about CheapyD was hypocritical and shows that Wombat need to grow a pair and get some thicker skin. It was noticeable that Wombat feelings were getting hurt on the previous show but I don't think Cheapy was being malicious at all, he just took a joke a little too far. I like all three of you and I hope the chemistry isn't lost because Cheapy is being too self conscious about pissing off Wombat.

I think Move is going to be a failure, not only for being WiiHD at its core, but because of the terrible pricing structure.

Kinect has a better chance because it's totally different and as long as MS recognized that and develops new experiences for the technology and not try to shoehorn existing stuff it could at the very least be profitable.

Cheapy, I tried everything for my son to get potty trained. What finally worked was me putting him in underwear exclusively and when he shit his pants instead of going on the pot, have him wear the shit draws for about an hour so he new how uncomfortable it would be. Only had to do that for one day and it worked. Good luck with Tai.

[quote name='XXXplosive1']

I think Move is going to be a failure, not only for being WiiHD at its core, but because of the terrible pricing structure.

Kinect has a better chance because it's totally different and as long as MS recognized that and develops new experiences for the technology and not try to shoehorn existing stuff it could at the very least be profitable.
[/QUOTE]

Totally different ha ha. It's the same thing the Eyetoy did 6 years ago! And it's the same thing the Playstation Eye can do today.

I never really post here, but I'm glad everything is patched up - more or less. If I were Wombat, I'd think twice about opening up about how much fun it was to hang out with these guys. Wombat is a sensitive guy and that's cool. Nothing wrong with that. As for the other two guys, there's a time to give you buddies shit and there are times when you don't.

Right after your "friend" becomes vulnerable and opens up and says how much he likes hanging out with you, that's not the time to harp on his flaws and that you didn't "love" hanging out with him in return.

Especially if your friend happens to be sensitive.

[quote name='XXXplosive1']Cheapy, I tried everything for my son to get potty trained. What finally worked was me putting him in underwear exclusively and when he shit his pants instead of going on the pot, have him wear the shit draws for about an hour so he new how uncomfortable it would be. Only had to do that for one day and it worked. Good luck with Tai.[/QUOTE]

Ha! That's pretty good.. how did you get the idea past the Mom? Still.. that's great. Quality 1960's parenting. None of this 'if you go in your pants you don't get to hear the song that plays from the kiddy toilet'. Love it.. might try that with my kid if 's still a problem when she's older... not sure how the wife would feel though.

Howdy,
I'm glad Cheapy apologised like everyone else is saying, but I don't think he's an arsehole in general.
I caught up with Cheapy last year in Japan when we went to visit and he was very friendly indeed. I'm not a huge forum-ite or anything on here, but he was very forthcoming to my wife and me when basically he had no idea who I was, apart from being a listener to the show.
I'm dissapointed I didn't try and say g'day to Wombat when I was in New York 2 years ago.. oh well.. maybe oneday. :cool:
And lets not forget Shipwreck either... :)

Anyway.. keep up the good work guys and I'm glad things are sorted out...

cheers!
braden :applause:

I think Wombat was being a dick in this ep, just as much as Cheapy was in the last ep. The only difference is that come next week, we won't be hearing any apology from Wombat.

Cheapy apologized sincerely right at the start and Wombat just wouldn't let him live it down. He kept making little comments like "nobody likes you" and even pulled out that list of comments.

When someone apologizes you either forgive them or you don't. If you forgive him, you need to let it go and stop trying to get even.

I only mention this because I'm really digging the CAGcast as of late (minus the hosts bickering like old women or teenage girls)

Isn't it time for some PC coverage on the CAGcast? If this podcast is to help grow the CAG community adding some PC talk might help. I know, I know out of the three of you no one owns a gaming PC.

One of you guys need to buy a pre-built system or give a member of the CAG PC community a short segment.

A case without any evidence isn't much of a case.

Exhibit A.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265457
Also known as the most active CAG thread over the past week and a few days.

Exhibit B.
Blizzard is going to have the two top grossing games this year (WOW and SCII) which are both PC exclusives.

Closing argument:
PC gaming on Windows 7 is easier than on the 360 or PS3. If a game comes out broken, games are patched without going through PSN or XBLA approval process which can take months (see Castle Crashers). Steam ensures you get these patches without even having to launch the game. I've heard on previous podcasts that getting games to run on the PC platform just takes too much time. This was totally true 10 years ago, but as consoles have gradually turned into mini-computers and PCs have turned into a more stable gaming platform there really isn't much of a difference.

I could go on about what your options are if a PC component stops working versus if a console component stops working, but I'll leave the jury to ponder that one.

Great show, guys! I think that this was probably one of my favorite shows to listen to in recent memory. It seemed to flow really well.

[quote name='collipop']I would also like to see this. Cheapy has mentioned that he was going to get a gaming rig after he moved house.[/QUOTE]

We are much better off having no PC coverage at all from these guys than half-assed PC coverage full of factual errors and weird assumptions. The CAGcast is good the way it is, and I really hope Cheapy didn't blow any cash on a gaming rig if APB was the PC-exclusive he really wanted to play.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/apb?q=apb

Try the PC Gamer podcasts, US and UK, and see if you like them, instead.

[quote name='Curufinwe']We are much better off having no PC coverage at all from these guys than half-assed PC coverage full of factual errors and weird assumptions. The CAGcast is good the way it is, and I really hope Cheapy didn't blow any cash on a gaming rig if APB was the PC-exclusive he really wanted to play.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/apb?q=apb

Try the PC Gamer podcasts, US and UK, and see if you like them, instead.[/QUOTE]

What weird assumption/errors? He plays a PC game and gives his opinion on the CAGcast. There's no errors in that.

bread's done
Back