CAGcast #218: I Love You, Raptor

[quote name='bmulligan']Wait, wait, wait......

Cheapy, you would buy a new television, with a gimmick inarguably less popular and more expensive than motion controls, so you can give us impressions of 3D gaming? You "did it for us"? What kind of bullshit do you eat for breakfast, Cheapy?

It was "just a couple hundred dollars more" for this passing fad of 3D-ness yet the Kinect is only $150; The Move only $100. You dismiss an entire genre of gaming and it's 4 year proven history out of hand and embrace a niche gimmick that you've already said was underwhelming and won't last?

Nerd it up with those special glasses, dude. And tell us when the headaches begin.[/QUOTE]

You're ignoring the fact that any high-end TV purchased from now own is going to support 3D. If CheapyD wanted a nice, new, big TV, of course he was going to get one that supported 3D.

I'm not really sold on Kinect from what I've played of it. I have room for it I suppose, but I don't want to rearrange furniture just to make using it comfortable. It may have potential in the future, but a lot of the games currently seem like tech demos or overly exhausting to play.

You guys definitely had better luck with the 360 Dashboard update than I did. It took me several tries just to get the thing installed, presumably because the servers were hit hard.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of CheapyD's 3D TV impressions.

I can’t believe it. I used to think of Shipwreck as an upstanding role model, someone I could look up to and respect. It was no surprise to learn that Cheapy pissed in the shower, but et tu, Shipwreck? It's just that I thought... I'm having trouble understanding--

I need to take a long, constitutional walk.

It feels like everything I knew to be true was just a vast conspiracy of lies, mistruths, and withheld information. I don’t know what to believe anymore. I just, I thought, I... I don’t know man. This is too much to handle at this stage of--

I can’t, I just can’t anymore.

I agree with Wombat and Shipwreck about the look of the new Xbox dashboard - it's a major downgrade. It also took me at least 20 minutes to download and install, even though I have 25/25 Mbps FIOS.

I think the reason it only took CheapyD two minutes is because there weren't many other people hitting the Xbox Japan servers trying to get the update. It was a lot slower for me here on the East coast, almost as slow as the last time I updated my PS3's firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show guys!

I have a question for Raptor. If you could eat anyone past or present who would it be?

[quote name='Curufinwe']I agree with Wombat and Shipwreck about the look of the new Xbox dashboard - it's a major downgrade. It also took me at least 20 minutes to download and install, even though I have 25/25 Mbps FIOS.

I think the reason it only took CheapyD two minutes is because there weren't many other people hitting the Xbox Japan servers trying to get thew update. It was a lot slower for me here on the East coast, almost as slow as the last time I updated my PS3's firmware.[/QUOTE]

This is the reason it took me 2 minutes.

Check your ISP on www.speedtest.net to see what you actually pull. I bet its not 25 Mbps up and down.

I'll take that bet. What do I win? :)

868752227.png

That's from a test I ran back in July since I'm at work right now, but I'll check it again from home tonight to make sure Verizon haven't been secretly lowering my connection speed.

Anytime someone estimates how long or fast a download took, I always instantly mistrust it. Because the apparently 30 minute PS3 downloads typically take me around 4-8 minutes. Which is comparable to Xbox Live since I'm Silver. And yes, Live is slower if you're Silver. Unless you're buying something... For the for the record, it's a slow morning...

The dismissal of ESPN3 is easy if you have never used it (or can't use it). For me, it is a god send. The availability is not based on your cable provider, but by your internet provider. You do not have to have cable at all to us it.

Case in point, I have no cable service at all. So no ESPN for me. But my internet provider does support ESPN3. So on Saturdays, I have six or seven different football games I can choose from to watch. I can easily switch between them at will. Putting that on my Xbox is great. It is far better to watch it there then on my PC. So for me, great benefit.

As for the price increasing, this is the first Xbox Live has ever increased its prices. It was $50 a month on the original Xbox, 8 years ago. Why is it so unreasonable for the price to increase after 8 years?

I was thinking about going to Times Sq but none of my friends wanted to...yet they're the type that would wait in line for hours for a game or tickets to some stuff.

I think it would have been a great marketing event had wombat gone. shame on you cheapy for not getting him set up...think of the page views, new members (yes more trolls and spam), and overall traffic! as the USD drops in comparison to other currencies you'll need more of it! *end rant*

I think this is the first time the guys (cheapy) called out a user like this. have to find the original post.

I'm upset if the new dashboard really handles espn as wombat and ship mentioned. wtf is the point then?

[quote name='shipwreck']Ta-Dow!
1018161072.png
[/QUOTE]

no way I have a better connection of 2.86 and .73 according to one I did in June. my computer, connected by wireless adapter, is two floors above from where the router and modem are [basement] since thats office space :cry:. ship you spend too much upgrading the mansion, what about your Internets?

My PS3 is wired and anytime anyone estimates a lengthy PS3 download, I completely agree with them. It's ridiculous. They must throttle their servers for everyone except sheppyboy2000.

And I already have ESPN with my ATT U-verse service. I'm not sure why I would give a crap about watching it on my Xbox either. Although, in the very near future I will be using my 360 as an ATT cable box, so the point is moot. MS, please return my extra $10 for my Live service and all the other shit I don't care about.

And speaking of shit, why did they take all the style out of the 360 dashboard? Are they reclaiming some memory for all those new Kinect installs ? It's like I downgraded back to windows 3.1 from Vista. I never thought I'd see the day when the xbox dashboard was more boring and more vanilla than the PS3's XMB.

Why the sudden dismissal of TRON: Legacy? Did you guys not like the first movie?
The new TRON is the top of my most-anticipated movies of the year. I think it will be incredible to watch, but won't do great at the box-office because too many people don't respect the first movie.

Great CAGCast again. May we all get Kinect to play some "Fingerbang!"
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=16969

[quote name='Curufinwe']I agree with Wombat and Shipwreck about the look of the new Xbox dashboard - it's a major downgrade. It also took me at least 20 minutes to download and install, even though I have 25/25 Mbps FIOS.

I think the reason it only took CheapyD two minutes is because there weren't many other people hitting the Xbox Japan servers trying to get the update. It was a lot slower for me here on the East coast, almost as slow as the last time I updated my PS3's firmware.[/QUOTE]

It took me about 5 minutes on 6Mbps. Although, I updated on Thursday. I can't tell you the last time I updated my PS3. 20 minutes seems like a god send if you're talking PS3 updates.

Good show!

Can you even imagine a game coming out for Kinect that would make you buy it? And what would be the compelling gameplay or features? I think if anyone knew the answer to that, we'd have better launch games than Wii Sports 3: Microsoft's Resort.

Only your ISP needs to support ESPN3, it's not based on your cable provider. I used to work at Cox Communications, and those of you who don't know it's like Comcast or Charter. ESPN3 used to be known as ESPN360. It's entirely web-based hence, if your ISP supports it, then you can view in on Xbox Live. I don't have cable, I only have internet (cable is useless these days with the Netflix and the Hulu and the Youtube) and I was still able to watch Live football games.

All that being said, I'm in agreement with Wombat about the extra $10 being part of the ESPN Package. When you buy a basic cable package from your cable provider, most of the cost of it is due to ESPN, they command a lot from the cable companies in order for you to be able to watch your sports, and they can do it because they are fairly untouched in that area as far as total sports coverage is concerned. So I'm sure that they are doing the same with microsoft
Outside of Netflix, I can't really think of other features that aren't microsoft property; Zune movies, music, etc... last.fm is free elsewhere, so yeah, ESPN is expensive

I don't see why everyone puts down a game when they don't update the graphics. Some company build this beautiful game engine like Fable 2 and they want to expand the story and get out a game in a timely manner and one of the first things people mention is that it looks the same. Would you rather live it a world where every game was like Gran Turismo and took forever to come out. That's not a world I want to live in.

My thoughts on Kinect and the CAGcast.

We get that you guys don't care for Kinect or the Move, and your reasons are just. My question is, why keep bringing it up if you truly don't care for the technology? Wombat has said, semi-jokingly, that you'd never talk about it again and yet it comes up and a short rant follows.

I'm sure you'll say, "well ZForce, it's news so we need to discuss it, you attractive man you" but I say Nay. You can decide you're going to be done with it and no one would blame you.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']okay I just downloaded the update...then the other update? or install...took about 9 minutes for me. not bad actually[/QUOTE]

The first download is the update, the second progress bar you see is the update. Took less than 10 minutes for me too.

[quote name='lebkin']The dismissal of ESPN3 is easy if you have never used it (or can't use it). For me, it is a god send. The availability is not based on your cable provider, but by your internet provider. You do not have to have cable at all to us it.

Case in point, I have no cable service at all. So no ESPN for me. But my internet provider does support ESPN3. So on Saturdays, I have six or seven different football games I can choose from to watch. I can easily switch between them at will. Putting that on my Xbox is great. It is far better to watch it there then on my PC. So for me, great benefit.

As for the price increasing, this is the first Xbox Live has ever increased its prices. It was $50 a month on the original Xbox, 8 years ago. Why is it so unreasonable for the price to increase after 8 years?[/QUOTE]

Agreed for those of us who don't want cable, ESPN3 is great. I already have an htpc so putting it on the 360 doesn't do much for me personally, but for anyone who doesn't have a theater pc it's outstanding.

Re: the dashboard, it's a push design-wise but I've noticed that the launch-to-disc option no longer works. Guess it's a bug. Or they want to force people to look at their stupid spotlight crap...it's pretty annoying as I only want to look at anything in the dashboard maybe one in every fifty times I use my 360.

I knew this was going to be a great show when Cheapy sarcasticaly intro'ed with "Motherf@^&in' Kiiiinneeeect!!" hahaha. Wobat's raptor, Ships love doll talk....the best show by far. And that peeing in the shower talk also had me laughing. Then I remembered this guy I met in the army told me how he used to pee on his wife in the shower and she liked it. I quit laughing at that point. Great show guys!

Just heard the Wombat raptor stuff. Hilarious! It's funny stuff like this (Cheapy playing along, Shipwreck reminding Cheapy subtly not to dis a game that he's based a contest around, etc.) that makes me love the group dynamic of this podcast. This one is my favorite gaming podcast of the week (and I've heard them all), even trumping shows like Giantbomb and Joystiq.

[quote name='Evilsean']I don't see why everyone puts down a game when they don't update the graphics. Some company build this beautiful game engine like Fable 2 and they want to expand the story and get out a game in a timely manner and one of the first things people mention is that it looks the same..[/QUOTE]

I want you to imagine a world for a second with me. A world where sprites never got updated and instead were ported from various generations of a fighting engine. Such an instance would create a hellacious clashing of styles and resolutions. Got a couple examples for you too. Neo Geo Battle Colliseum and Marvel vs Capcom 2. Artistically, both are a goddam mess and if you feel like characters came from entirely difference games, there's a simple reason. They did.

What's that got to do with anything? Simply put, if companies just reuse the same assets, they aren't making sequels. They're making full priced expansion packs. The bulk of a games budget typically comes from the asset creation process. And just because it has the same engine doesn't mean they learned everything the engine could do.

Also, when the hell did we suddenly adopt this ignorant notion that graphics don't matter? Of course they matter. Otherwise we'd still be playing the Odyssey and Phil Hartman would be trying to sell us hockey games still...

I am thinking I need to look into these butt washing toilets. I usually have to poop more at work, but I was wondering if I could change my pooping schedule around ? I mean usually I try to poop at work to waste more time, but this might be a good reason to change my biological clock.

Great episode. Hilarious stuff.

And I couldn't agree more with Cheapy's initial thoughts on Kinect. Managed to play it for a few hours at a mate's house and it was such a dull experience. Personally, gaming without a controller or mouse and keyboard (and motion control in general) is so completely devoid of fun.

I used to find comfort in how ridiculous the Kinect looked and my belief that it wouldn't get many sales. Unfortunately, it looks like I was terribly wrong on that one. I just pray that gaming without a regular controller or mouse + keyboard doesn't get supplanted as the standard form of gaming any time soon. Cheapy's comment about "our favourite developers focusing on Kinect" is an incredibly scary notion.

On a more positive note, really cool to hear that you're enjoying Undead Nightmare, Cheapy. Admittedly, I was absolutely crazy about the main game as well (especially the story and characters), but I absolutely love Undead Nightmare. I just beat it earlier today and saw that I'd clocked in almost 9 hours. I've payed $60 for retail games that didn't last me that long :lol:. Most certainly the best DLC I've ever played on the 360.

And I find myself saying this just about every week now, but Ship is positively crazy for not liking Red Dead Redemption.

Why do these guys have such terrible and uninformed opinions about the Wii?

CheapieD complains that he doesn't want to play a Wii FPS and that he wants it online.

Well guess what? GoldenEye Wii remake can be played with dual analog controls with either a GameCube controller or the Classic Controller, and the game already has online play!

Epic troll fail.

As much as I love browsing this website and finding good deals on games, I just can't listen to these terrible CAGcasts anymore.

[quote name='boylover']Why do these guys have such terrible and uninformed opinions about the Wii?

CheapieD complains that he doesn't want to play a Wii FPS and that he wants it online.

Well guess what? GoldenEye Wii remake can be played with dual analog controls with either a GameCube controller or the Classic Controller, and the game already has online play!

Epic troll fail.

As much as I love browsing this website and finding good deals on games, I just can't listen to these terrible CAGcasts anymore.[/QUOTE]

What GoldenEye and the Wii offers in general in terms of online play is extremely lacking. There is no voice chat and exchanging friend codes is a cumbersome process. I play my Wii a lot and I enjoy the fact that the three of us have different gaming habits and tastes. Sorry that you think we are terrible.

Is anyone else annoyed by the "pleasant" and "family friendly" sounds of the new dashboard, and even the power-on sound?

The dashboard clicks remind me of Zelda menus. . .

Also, awesome show!

[quote name='shipwreck']What GoldenEye and the Wii offers in general in terms of online play is extremely lacking. There is no voice chat and exchanging friend codes is a cumbersome process. I play my Wii a lot and I enjoy the fact that the three of us have different gaming habits and tastes. Sorry that you think we are terrible.[/QUOTE]
The Wii is great for couch co-op like a flashback to the N64 days. I don't play as much online as I wish I could because my friend list is lacking, but if the Wii had anything resembling an online presence, I think more people would play the "retro" esqe games

[quote name='boylover']Why do these guys have such terrible and uninformed opinions about the Wii?

Epic troll fail.

As much as I love browsing this website and finding good deals on games, I just can't listen to these terrible CAGcasts anymore.[/QUOTE]

There is a large difference between giving your opinion and trolling..

The facts are that the Xbox 360 and even the PS3 are much better equipped for on-line game play and when you compare the Wii to the other two systems the Wii looks pathetic.

[quote name='Maute']The Raptor bit was easily the funniest thing in the show's history.[/QUOTE]

I was expecting Cheapy to shut him down when I heard Wombat put on the Raptor voice.. Luckily Cheapy decided to ditch his shutting-down tendencies and allowed one of the funniest CAG-Cast moments in it's history to go ahead.

I checked out the ESPN thing yesterday and watched the Bulls lose in OT. It was actually pretty sweet.

I am under the impression that wombat didn't check it out before he decided to shitcan it. There's quite a bit of content that comes with it.

I also really like that it is presented in HD, because I don't have HD cable and this is free of charge!

[quote name='shipwreck']What GoldenEye and the Wii offers in general in terms of online play is extremely lacking. There is no voice chat and exchanging friend codes is a cumbersome process. I play my Wii a lot and I enjoy the fact that the three of us have different gaming habits and tastes. Sorry that you think we are terrible.[/QUOTE]

It's true that GoldenEye specifically doesn't have voice chat but several games do. The online is still functional without voice chat though.

But I think it's ridiculous that CheapyD is completely dismissing the entire FPS genre on the Wii. Especially since GoldenEye has the option of dual analog for those of you who can't "learn" pointer controls. The single player game is really great, and the multiplayer is online whether or not he finds it too bothersome to exchange friend codes (which isn't even necessary to do to jump into an online game since there is matchmaking).

Every system has issues, in the 80s / 90s we all blew into NES carts to get them to work.. and even with that issue we enjoyed the system. SNES had an issue where after long term use there would be a short in the power cord. PS2 had disc read errors... Xbox 360, had you guys makng videos and spending time putting towels around the system to try and get it to work. PS3 has some slow downloads... big fucking deal. Every system has problems but you just have fun with it anyways.

[quote name='boylover']It's true that GoldenEye specifically doesn't have voice chat but several games do. The online is still functional without voice chat though.

But I think it's ridiculous that CheapyD is completely dismissing the entire FPS genre on the Wii. Especially since GoldenEye has the option of dual analog for those of you who can't "learn" pointer controls. The single player game is really great, and the multiplayer is online whether or not he finds it too bothersome to exchange friend codes (which isn't even necessary to do to jump into an online game since there is matchmaking).[/QUOTE]

The fact is all the money is going towards fps games on the 360 and PS3 and Cheapie doesn't like the Wii.

Wombat mostly doesn't like it.

And Ship plays everything.

Them the facts 'mam. Yes Cheapie is ignorant, but at least he's honest. He doesn't play Wii games and doesn't really want to.

Listen to this week's Weekend Confirmed podcast. One of the hosts/guests comes out in the first 5 minutes and says GoldenEye sp was so much more fun than Modern Warfare 2 sp and all the Halo sp games.

(oh and personally I like the Wii and think the wiimote/nunchuk are the direction where future videogame controls are headed. But think most Wii fps games are junk.)

Hey guys, anyone know the name of that iphone game that cheapy was talking out where you own your on video game company ?

EDIT : I believe it was on last weeks show,

[quote name='FBI-Butters']Hey guys, anyone know the name of that iphone game that cheapy was talking out where you own your on video game company ?

EDIT : I believe it was on last weeks show,[/QUOTE]

Game Dev Story

@CheapyD

has Jean Snow ever actually been on the podcast? Somebody pointed out that Esteban (aka @lonesteban) has had him on his podcast (callofpodcast) and I think also on the grasshopper manufacture podcast he hosts. Did he beat you to it?

[quote name='Maute']The Raptor bit was easily the funniest thing in the show's history.[/QUOTE] - Indeed.

That raptor bit was funny as hell. The best part of the CAGCast in a long time. Kudos Wombat, you've undone anything negative for the past 50 CAGCasts with that one.

[quote name='volt1up']@CheapyD

has Jean Snow ever actually been on the podcast? Somebody pointed out that Esteban (aka @lonesteban) has had him on his podcast (callofpodcast) and I think also on the grasshopper manufacture podcast he hosts. Did he beat you to it?[/QUOTE]

If Jean Snow was on the podcast and you played the CAG drinking game every time Cheapy said Jean Snow, we would be wasted in the first 30 minutes !

[quote name='boylover']It's true that GoldenEye specifically doesn't have voice chat but several games do. The online is still functional without voice chat though.

But I think it's ridiculous that CheapyD is completely dismissing the entire FPS genre on the Wii. Especially since GoldenEye has the option of dual analog for those of you who can't "learn" pointer controls. The single player game is really great, and the multiplayer is online whether or not he finds it too bothersome to exchange friend codes (which isn't even necessary to do to jump into an online game since there is matchmaking).[/QUOTE]

Condescending much? Just because someone doesn't dedicate 500+ hours learning a control scheme to defend $250 spent, doesn't mean they can't. Look, let me break this down for you.

MOST of what makes CheapyD rep 360 so much isn't even Microsofts doing. Live has the bigger more active install base for him and his friends. They get more exclusives, etc. When he ranked the systems last week, PS3 took such a hit because of lack of Sony exclusives (if we were talking just this holiday season, yeah.. but overall?) and Sony's amazing inability to instantly transplant his Xbox Live community. And I do mean that. Without a mass exodus from Live to PSN, PSN hasn't a snowballs chance in hell of surpassing Live in the hearts and minds of most gamers.

Now think about that then think about PSN, that has issues, many of which have been fixed but keep being restated as ongoing problems. Think about PSN, the inferior product. How little it does compared to 360 (which is very, very little compared to Steam that frankly curbstomps everyone's teeth in). Now look further...

There, at the bottom. Wii. "But it has matchmaking!!!" So did several Dreamcast and PS2 games. The friends system is broken, the voice chat isn't supported, the community aspect simply does not exist in any way, shape, or form, and frankly, turning on any of the other systems and being instantly plugged into a community is something Wii, frankly, does not have.

Now consider consider the graphics. Boohoo, graphics don't matter. Except for the other 20 years Nintendo fans claimed graphics did matter because Nintendo had better. Facing facts, a lot of FPS's are a visual treat, set pieces, things exploding everywhere, and Wii has a hard time of this. Someone not being interested on an FPS on your chosen system is someone not being interested in an FPS on your chosen system. I mean hell, $50 for Goldeneye is $10, and only $10, cheaper than many top tier FPS's being released this holiday season.

bread's done
Back