CAGcast #218: I Love You, Raptor

I think Microsoft including Alan Wake in the holiday bundle is a good sign that they'll go forward with a sequel. They'll want to as many people as possible to play it. Why? They spent a fortune on the tech for Alan Wake. Now that the engine has been built, a sequel would be much cheaper and quicker to produce. They'll want to recoup their R&D somehow.

The way the story ended I wouldn't be surprised if it picks up with his wife, Alice Wake. That keeps the A.Wake theme going.

[quote name='sheppyboy2000']Condescending much? Just because someone doesn't dedicate 500+ hours learning a control scheme to defend $250 spent, doesn't mean they can't. Look, let me break this down for you.

MOST of what makes CheapyD rep 360 so much isn't even Microsofts doing. Live has the bigger more active install base for him and his friends. They get more exclusives, etc. When he ranked the systems last week, PS3 took such a hit because of lack of Sony exclusives (if we were talking just this holiday season, yeah.. but overall?) and Sony's amazing inability to instantly transplant his Xbox Live community. And I do mean that. Without a mass exodus from Live to PSN, PSN hasn't a snowballs chance in hell of surpassing Live in the hearts and minds of most gamers.

Now think about that then think about PSN, that has issues, many of which have been fixed but keep being restated as ongoing problems. Think about PSN, the inferior product. How little it does compared to 360 (which is very, very little compared to Steam that frankly curbstomps everyone's teeth in). Now look further...

There, at the bottom. Wii. "But it has matchmaking!!!" So did several Dreamcast and PS2 games. The friends system is broken, the voice chat isn't supported, the community aspect simply does not exist in any way, shape, or form, and frankly, turning on any of the other systems and being instantly plugged into a community is something Wii, frankly, does not have.

Now consider consider the graphics. Boohoo, graphics don't matter. Except for the other 20 years Nintendo fans claimed graphics did matter because Nintendo had better. Facing facts, a lot of FPS's are a visual treat, set pieces, things exploding everywhere, and Wii has a hard time of this. Someone not being interested on an FPS on your chosen system is someone not being interested in an FPS on your chosen system. I mean hell, $50 for Goldeneye is $10, and only $10, cheaper than many top tier FPS's being released this holiday season.[/QUOTE]

I just want to say one thing about PSN... a long time ago, Cheapy, Wombat, used to gave game nights with the CAG community.. I remember we did Halo and Warhawk, and some Killzone (and some others) but those nights that we played on PS3... we were able to to get ALL CAGS into 1 room for big matches, whereas with xbox they had to have multiple rooms set up with them visiting each room. Say what you will about PSN.. but the fact that it runs smooth with 32 players, 36 players and 40 players at a time imo speaks volumes about its services. Also, to date, I don't know of any Xbox gave that allows more than 16 players in a room at a time. I know MAG isn't very popular, but to date, I've haven't seen Xbox replicate online of its 256 player magnitude, and until they do reproduce it... I'd have to say that PSN is better in that aspect (and wonder if its even POSSIBLE to do that on 360). But hey, PSN sucks right?

[quote name='Thomas96']I just want to say one thing about PSN... a long time ago, Cheapy, Wombat, used to gave game nights with the CAG community.. I remember we did Halo and Warhawk, and some Killzone (and some others) but those nights that we played on PS3... we were able to to get ALL CAGS into 1 room for big matches, whereas with xbox they had to have multiple rooms set up with them visiting each room. Say what you will about PSN.. but the fact that it runs smooth with 32 players, 36 players and 40 players at a time imo speaks volumes about its services. Also, to date, I don't know of any Xbox gave that allows more than 16 players in a room at a time. I know MAG isn't very popular, but to date, I've haven't seen Xbox replicate online of its 256 player magnitude, and until they do reproduce it... I'd have to say that PSN is better in that aspect (and wonder if its even POSSIBLE to do that on 360). But hey, PSN sucks right?[/QUOTE]

I don't really want to get into this argument, but I know Frontlines supported 50 players on the Xbox 360 and Section 8 supported 32. There may be more, but those were the two I remember off the top of my head. It can certainly be done, but more people isn't always a better experience. You're correct about nothing on 360 coming close to 256 players online though.

[quote name='shipwreck']I don't really want to get into this argument, but I know Frontlines supported 50 players on the Xbox 360 and Section 8 supported 32. There may be more, but those were the two I remember off the top of my head. It can certainly be done, but more people isn't always a better experience. You're correct about nothing on 360 coming close to 256 players online though.[/QUOTE]

You're right that more people doesn't always make a better experience, (definitely didn't help in Section 8 which is one of the worst games this century) however the point that I'm making is in regards to the quality of PSN. When PSN started it was Resistance: Fall of Man 1-40 players online. [Running Smoothly] 1-40 since day one! People want to sit around and say that the quality xbox live is way beyond PSN.. due to some bells and whistles, but when it comes to the meat and potatoes - in this case: Online Play.. the number of players online [feature] is one in which Xbox Live had to catch up to PSN [literally]

Just to add to the ESPN3 convo, even if you already have ESPN on your cable network, it allows you to watch games that might not be on in your local viewing area. So, it’s not always going to be just a rehash of what’s already on your television. But I do agree that if that’s the cause for a price increase, it should’ve been an option, especially since it’s a free service on your normal browser.

Really enjoyed this episode, what with all the raptoring and rectal cleansing. In fact, there has been so much robo-bidet talk of late that you might seriously consider changing the name of the show to Clean Ass Gamer.

We've had one of these magical toilet seats for almost three years now and my parents have two (they bought us ours for Christmas). Toto is the most well-known manufacturer, but Izen, the Korean company that makes ours, has also made big inroads in America (their U.S. distributorship is based here in Atlanta, probably because we have a large Korean population).

People who've never tried one can scoff all they want, but the thing seriously changes your life. I honestly do not know how we got along without it. Sitting down on a warm toilet seat on a January morning is worth the price of admission alone. But there is simply nothing like walking around with a perfectly clean ass. I never was fond of shitting in a public restroom, but it's even more difficult now knowing the difference between that and what I have available at home.

If my TV blew up, my oven broke, or my router went down, I could manage for a few days, no problem. But the minute my magic toilet breaks, I'm hauling ass to the store to get a new one, I assure you.

[quote name='Thomas96']You're right that more people doesn't always make a better experience, (definitely didn't help in Section 8 which is one of the worst games this century) however the point that I'm making is in regards to the quality of PSN. When PSN started it was Resistance: Fall of Man 1-40 players online. [Running Smoothly] 1-40 since day one! People want to sit around and say that the quality xbox live is way beyond PSN.. due to some bells and whistles, but when it comes to the meat and potatoes - in this case: Online Play.. the number of players online [feature] is one in which Xbox Live had to catch up to PSN [literally][/QUOTE]

Here's a novel idea. One I hinted at earlier. Play what you like and don't give creedence to dissenting opinions. Enjoy your games/platform/stuffed animal with the crotch ripped.

bread's done
Back