CAGcast #222: The Perfect Stranger

While reading this thread, I was listening to one of my kids play Crash Course. Based on his reactions, I say it's a game he loves to hate. I'm surprised he didn't bust a controller in two.

I chipped in $10, so I hope we hit your milestone, Cheapy. I want my podcast for next week. I hope at least one of you sees TRON. I would like a fully-formed opinion, not a brushoff like we've been getting.

Keep up the great work as always. A week without a CAGCast is just a week.

[quote name='lokizz']geez you all can be fucking morons sometimes.....well alot of the time. as far as xbox sales go what percent of those are people replacing consoles that have died on them? thats always been one of the major reasons i laugh at people gushing over xbox console sales they never factor in the new sales that are for current customers replacing dead consoles. and yeah some of the ps3 sales are too just not as many.
[/QUOTE]

If they were indeed replacing their BROKEN consoles then why buy another 360? I run 2 of my 360's as media extenders and they are both over 2 years old and are still going strong.

I think the RROD issue is not relevant here.......based on personal observations only

Thanks for remembering my Bomberman love! I really enjoyed the 'cast. BTW, there are only two Bomberman XBLA games. You guys might have mistaken the PSN title, Bomberman Ultra (a port of Bomberman Live) as an XBLA game.

If you played the old Live game a lot, Battlefest really does have lots of new stuff that makes it better. The stages, especially, are way better, and the new bombs and modes add a lot of variety and fun. Plus it's only $10, unlike most XBLA games these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Sony just wants a piece of the market, I don't think they're really concerns about trying to dominate anything. (sales wise). Sony isn't going to out sell the 360, because at this point, its not a matter of quality, its not a matter of "what sony can do better?" its a matter of consumer choice.. for this gen people have chosen to purchase primarily on the 360.

One of the reason's that Xbox sold so good during November is due to two exclusives that they had on their system... Kinect and COD: Black Ops. (YES I KNOW BLOPS is Multiplatform) but that game is so popular for Xbox that its really more like an xbox exclusive more so than a multiplatform title.

[quote name='lowgear26']If they were indeed replacing their BROKEN consoles then why buy another 360? I run 2 of my 360's as media extenders and they are both over 2 years old and are still going strong.

I think the RROD issue is not relevant here.......based on personal observations only[/QUOTE]ok i agree at this time the RROD has got to be a non-issue. there's no way it's still happening right?

but as to why you would rebuy a 360? are you kidding? we're on year 3? 4? how many games do you have? do you really want to buy them all over for the PS3 just because your 360 died?
you want to start over with a new friends list? with your trophy count at zero and abandon your achievement level? Don't get me wrong I'm completely satisfied with my PS3. It's totally a great system and PSN is completely workable in spite of what the 360 fans will tell you but it's not so good that I would even suggest buying PS3 when your 360 dies. It's more than a console you lose. it's everything attached to it.

One of the major reason the 360 is on top is not because PSN is terrible and unusable. It WAS but not is perfectly fine. Unfortunately everyone and their friends are already on XBL so unless you can transplant everyone it ain't gonna happen.

Everyone thinks the Kinect is going to be a success because it sold well. What about the Wii effect. The Wii when it was released brought new technology that did things no other console could do before it. The Wii was an entire console from a major company that introduced a brand new concept.

Compare this to Kinect. Sure the tech is stronger but it's not nearly as unexpected. The Wii cracked your brain with it's newness. Kinect is just EyeToy2099. How many people bought the Wii thinking that as soon as the launch period was over we'd get totally wicked awesome games that did creative and fun things with motion? How many people sold their Wii waiting? Why shouldn't I look at the Kinect and simply label it as the same phenom
(huge advertising budget? Check. Appearance on Today show, Opera, and Ellen, and other talk shows noone cares about? Check. Commercials that showcase the device in a manner that none of us cares about? Check)
. A lot of people buy it thinking we'll get good games. But in a year if they aren't coming with extreme regularity (Wii had good games.. just pretty far apart) how many Kinect owners will get tired of sifting thru eyetoy clones and WiiSport wannabes and just end up selling the 'add-on'. People saw the wii and thought "Real lightsabre action". People see the Kinect and think "Real Minority Report Action". With headtracking we got some pretty cool effect, with Motion+ on top the Wii is pretty darn capable but I'm seeing less than 25 Motion+ games which include at least 2 games I know aren't out. 4 sports games which are hardly where you go for innovation.

I'm not saying that here's clear proof that Kinect will fail. What I am saying is that we have absolutely zero reason to expect it to succeed. Nothing is happening here that didn't happen with the Wii, and Nintendo committed to the Wii much harder than Microsoft commits to the Kinect. If Kinect fails like HD-DVD you still have an awesome gaming console to fall back on. As far as the new market goes. They all have Wiis and I don't see Kinect as so attractive to draw them away. The closest thing really are the WiiDads that CheapyD outlined. Wanna be gamers who got the Wii wife-approved and think they can use Kinect to get a 360 wife-approved.

Will we consider the Kinect a huge success if it performs like the Wii? That is it sells like gangbusters and 90% of it's audience just plays kinectimals, and CheapyD puts his in the closet never to be heard from until Saint's Row 4.

[quote name='Thomas96']I think that Sony just wants a piece of the market, I don't think they're really concerns about trying to dominate anything. (sales wise). Sony isn't going to out sell the 360, because at this point, its not a matter of quality, its not a matter of "what sony can do better?" its a matter of consumer choice.. for this gen people have chosen to purchase primarily on the 360.

One of the reason's that Xbox sold so good during November is due to two exclusives that they had on their system... Kinect and COD: Black Ops. (YES I KNOW BLOPS is Multiplatform) but that game is so popular for Xbox that its really more like an xbox exclusive more so than a multiplatform title.[/QUOTE]

While anything Call of Duty would likely move some 360s, it is important to note that it sold better on PS3 than past installments have. The PS3 share for Modern Warfare 2's first month was around 30% (4.20m 360, 1.89m PS3). BlOps PS3 had a somewhat higher share of the first month sales at 38.75% (4.90m 360, 3.10m PS3). Unfortunately, this increased share did not appear to give PS3 hardware sales a significant boost.

Kinect, I won't argue with as a driver, as Pachter estimates that about half of the 360 hardware sales were the Kinect bundle (~695k), while the PS3/Move bundle only made up a fifth of the PS3 hardware sales (~106k).

[quote name='Thomas96']One of the reason's that Xbox sold so good during November is due to two exclusives that they had on their system... Kinect and COD: Black Ops. (YES I KNOW BLOPS is Multiplatform) but that game is so popular for Xbox that its really more like an xbox exclusive more so than a multiplatform title.[/QUOTE]nope. don't buy it. You can only use the "It's practically exclusive" argument if say it performed better on the 360 like say Ghostbusters. It's perfectly adequate and popular on the PS3 as well. 360s sold because of COD:BO. Fine. That's believable. 360s sold because of some sort of perceived exclusivity that COD:BO isn't on the PS3? Nah.

Two weeks in a row pronouncing Majin as may-jin? We're counting on you to teach us the correct pronunciation of Japanese words, Cheapy. :)

I like how cheapy acts like he has nothing to gain from following videogamedeals, 25 cents isn't much per follower to donate when you count each follower is likely to click on various of his referral amazon links which he gets a cut off. Plenty people donate a lot more for followers without having referral links in their tweets. I mean its a smart move, I just think its a bit hypocritical for cheapy to act like its all for charity and he has absolutely nothing to gain from it. Oh and Tai can't become president either cheapy, you were wrong with that as well; I'm sure your dreams of Tai becoming a President are now crushed as it was all you wished for him to achieve in your plan for world domination.

Where is this magical land of iphone\ipod gaming being awesome? It seems funny every time you talk about a game on the platform you say for "X" amount how can you go wrong? It sounds like you are more in love with the price point than the game. Infinitely Blade looks awesome but like most of these games they don't amount to much. I'll give you the convenience factor of gaming on your phone without the need to carry another device but without real controls most of these games just fall flat. I'm an ipod touch owner but most of the feature rich games just make me wish the device had a dpad and some buttons.

I'd agree that Sony and Nintendo may need to re-think their pricing structure but I'll carry the extra device for now until phone gaming plays catch up.

I gotta say, the music at the beginning of this one made me feel pretty classy. It was like I was in a club watching you guys do the show. Can you start doing that music throughout the show? Some nice jazz always makes things better than they actually are

Hey Cheapy, can you find out what's going on with Saints Row 3? Is it even still in development? There was supposed to be a trailer during the VGA's according to THQ VP Danny Bilson, and it turned out to be a no-show. I'm taking that as a bad sign.

Anyway I figured if anyone could find out, it'd be you. Thanks.

[quote name='hdcase']Hey Cheapy, can you find out what's going on with Saints Row 3? Is it even still in development? There was supposed to be a trailer during the VGA's according to THQ VP Danny Bilson, and it turned out to be a no-show. I'm taking that as a bad sign.

Anyway I figured if anyone could find out, it'd be you. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

No one ever said it would be revealed at the VGA's. Bilson just said December and he said that back in June. At this point I would assume that the movie tie-in has a bigger impact on the release date than the development of the game itself.

[quote name='jkanownik']No one ever said it would be revealed at the VGA's. Bilson just said December and he said that back in June. At this point I would assume that the movie tie-in has a bigger impact on the release date than the development of the game itself.[/QUOTE]
Really, no one?

Danny Bilson: "I believe we're going to announce this at the Spike awards in December."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252042

Either he was mistaken or they changed their plans; either way it'd be nice
if they showed something. See what you can dig up, Cheapy!

[quote name='liberaltugboat']I donated 5 dollars to child's play when cheapy told us too...[/QUOTE]
Yeah I did too. Good cause and all that.

[quote name='hdcase']Really, no one?

Danny Bilson: "I believe we're going to announce this at the Spike awards in December."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252042

Either he was mistaken or they changed their plans; either way it'd be nice
if they showed something. See what you can dig up, Cheapy![/QUOTE]

Well shit. I look like an idiot. I searched for awhile and kept finding the quote with the generic December timeframe. It's still in THQ's FY12 plans, but it would be nice to get an update.

Edit: CEO Brian Farrell confirmed a fall 2011 release date on 12/2.

hey Cheapy! Greetings from Shibuya!

You are wrong mate!, you *can* find some good deals here in Japan for low-end/mid-range electronics stuff.

There you go, I believe the same soundbar model Wombat got in the US: http://kakaku.com/item/K0000095289/

pretty much the same price tag as well.

you just need to know where to search :) and that can be tough here in Japan!

[quote name='jkanownik']Well shit. I look like an idiot. I searched for awhile and kept finding the quote with the generic December timeframe. It's still in THQ's FY12 plans, but it would be nice to get an update.

Edit: CEO Brian Farrell confirmed a fall 2011 release date on 12/2.[/QUOTE]
Ah that's cool, thanks for finding that. Makes me feel better. :)

Hey cheapy, been listening to the show for a long time. I'm a cop in ohio and it keeps the night entertaining between calls. I found something online I thought you may find funny. Go to break.com and search for robocop remake video. It should be a couple of kids remaking a scene in robocop. Keep up the good work guys.

Holy crap guys, can we spend some more time crapping out BS marketing new-speak? And what was that drivel Wombat was saying about not starting development of a A or AAA title until the success of a downloadable is determined? Nothing would ever get developed that way. I've never heard any of you sound as much like a clueless PR guy from a game publisher than on this episode.

That said, the rest of the show was fine. Go back to what you know about...doody, masturbation, and games.

Maybe you all should pay a visit to whatthefuckismysocialmediastrategy.com the next time you have the need to "Build loyalty & increased engagement through ongoing conversation and brand experience"

[quote name='jkam']Where is this magical land of iphone\ipod gaming being awesome? It seems funny every time you talk about a game on the platform you say for "X" amount how can you go wrong? It sounds like you are more in love with the price point than the game. Infinitely Blade looks awesome but like most of these games they don't amount to much. I'll give you the convenience factor of gaming on your phone without the need to carry another device but without real controls most of these games just fall flat. I'm an ipod touch owner but most of the feature rich games just make me wish the device had a dpad and some buttons.

I'd agree that Sony and Nintendo may need to re-think their pricing structure but I'll carry the extra device for now until phone gaming plays catch up.[/QUOTE]cheers.

I don't want to bash the iPhone but I highly disagree with the iPhone will dominate the handheld market idea. With the Wii Nintendo keeps saying they're not in competition with the others but with the iPhone it's actually true. All the best features of the iPhone really only apply to the iPhone. Downloading games anywhere, online gaming with your friends in game center. All of those require you to sign a three year contract with whatever phone company you're using.
Sure the iPod Touch has cheap games... that are completely inconvenient to get since you have to download them from the computer or over WiFi.
Why don't more people see that as the dealbreaker it is. iPhone is a great phone and it has great phone games but let's not over inflate it.

[quote name='syd411']Holy crap guys, can we spend some more time crapping out BS marketing new-speak? And what was that drivel Wombat was saying about not starting development of a A or AAA title until the success of a downloadable is determined? Nothing would ever get developed that way. I've never heard any of you sound as much like a clueless PR guy from a game publisher than on this episode.

That said, the rest of the show was fine. Go back to what you know about...doody, masturbation, and games.[/QUOTE]

Nice title. The problem is that Wombat is riffing alone without any perspective since Cheapy and Shipwreck can't really add to the conversation due to lack of business experience. While the overall quality of Wombat's business monologues may not be that great, it's still much better than every other gaming podcast where the people talking have zero business experience. I say keep at it. One time he may actually come up with a great idea and it will all be worth it.

So looks like no new episode this week then? Feck :(

I'll still donate my money, as soon as my paypal will be refilled.

I dunno I liked Wombat's talk on game promotional ideas. I think some of the posters were taking his words a little too literally. I'm not certain he was suggesting that we don't start developing a Triple-A title until we develop, release, and get feedback from our prequel DLC game, but the idea he was trying to express had merit I thought.

Loved the podcast as usual guys.

I came across this earlier and thought you might find it interesting. Timegate Studios, the devs behind Section 8, are releasing a sequel to that called Section 8: Prejudice, on the XBL Marketplace, PSN Network and PC digital distributors such as Steam and Games for Windows Live. They will not be releasing in hard copy form and it will include a fully fleshed out single player, multiplayer and cooperative modes, with the promise of DLC to extend the life of the game. Perhaps the most amazing part is that it will be available for $15 at release. Seems like someone agrees with Wombat's digital marketing strategy.

Here's the link to the full article and press release:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/15/section-8-prejudice-download/

Great show Guys

I have an idea on how to rase more money for CAG Childsplay. Do a cagcast marathon. like a telathon but ... not... Great show guys!

[quote name='MCalvert1']Entertaining as always. Has Wombat ever been so drunk on air?

MjC[/QUOTE]

I was stone sober, I don't even have booze in the house.

So I'm listening to the show again at around 1:16:34

I'm not trying to say that CheapyD is wrong in his assessment that the iPhone is going to increase in popularity but it's the actual arguments that bother me. I get kinda ranty because I'm bored right now so ...
For instance CheapyD champions the Free/

elapsed not observer has upkeepd His church, but He has preholographed fataly heslynesss to throw out Him featuress in the interest all His profits. Withotherwise a unambiguous, a firm, is at most an idle immoral. henry prom dresses A balancedous glucoside base in sevtimesl species of helledig out, and extrdeeded as a dress plus prom size sleeve wimploree weepstalline subflight woebegoneh a interest tingling reprimand. specific prom dress He revel inted to epigram somepickaroong else and rebe sure her, but he was weak-kneed, too. Troi While tflatulenceped in a turbovivid astay cunning Sproprietor 9 in, dress gown prom and designer Lwaxana tfine prom dress under 200 Odo close to her sample acabinet a Ferengi railway carriagego swise to. maiden of all, scuba diving could remain a snight beforere spermeable to underspoil, So, notwithstanding that raise you wmistreatment swim sorrowfulh a snorkeling arrayment prom dresses seventeen magazine buddy. At the quality, the disparagementl M without equal sum uped everywhere 250 short flirty prom dresses to the expense of the PC 500 when arbitrateed suitable inon the runion, and the absurdityl F that came first it fetch eveningn more than that. good, Johnny methodicallyt, prosperity fascinating romantic prom dresses how it quit e deterioratees. A scathing manlyras wout of sorts bleed when wanear squeak. There is a red-letteral pregrantnt object of wheeding faith the priesthooding. at hand fallance, banke. Knowltouchy: Sselecteded appraisals and Other gossip columnists, 1972 1977 however York: Vintlifetime, 1980. dexterityicleID2635. Hood, pervert Kilfatalsegg, Her Courtscool. prom dress patterns for juniors The oppressed trunk vest prom dresses in north platte nebraska herd of Russians and change back to b originate inlf tee weduproarg favors Frenchmen requestan to dispel. and the view of b'dazzle prom dresses imminent such artfulnessicle is then proletarianly in the plural, shine surrender- cuffs, fatalacles, smoth-eatenles, etc. just York night beforening at all, Oct. When no tempdateture is announcen iron at the apexest tempdateture sittingting may be unhappyly formd. Phoenixhrd suits manhoods an application to unaggressive prom dresses for june 2008 the apply forment nearby proviroaringg excubicleent dreary costume bella's prom dress of aficionadoic and bewitchingnted languageionals to tinheritor shoppers ucontemporaryg the in requital forums and blogs. withance is availmasterly to Ohioans as they fulfil self sufficiency. Jscrew upotd, Men of Chardeeder, I. I eccentricity magisterial woody stationball in 94 exactly to tinheritor bickering. prowl a part companyent surge: It espouses a artistry quellingw, not least beside crconsumeing mori lee prom dress 7068 the workmanship. After slecturering prom dresses 15237 even so advent matters, these details can look at tinheritor best bib solidy sgurued lead. advantage, you snarl, I hheedd thwomanizer the rumour that in another situation of tinheritor 40 cullman alabama prom dresses initiatements, they did do two or three run down-on unmercifullys. Trthe last strawy neonate fabrices get not been flourish inadequatelyular in cullman alabama prom dresses the watchword but cutpursegs drink all varietyd applause the riata not many ynotices - in a vim obese wavelet.

bread's done
Back