CAGcast #253: The 2011 Tokyo Game Show Show of Shows

I think most parents try to refrain from purchasing a phone for their kid as long as possible.

If i get a new iphone, i will certainly not be giving my old one to my 4 year old daughter. She can get any DS device she wants, but she'll have to wait till she's at least 12 before she'll get her own phone.

BTW: Audible carries Opie and Anthony rebroadcasts. So if you are a fan, it's a good way to pick up a show here or there.

Wombat, you should try the Move Sharpshooter while it's cheap at Game Stop. I don't think Shipwreck did it justice in his description. I'm left handed, and a couple of years ago (before I had yet purchased a Wii), you alerted me to the issues of playing FPS games with the Wii as a lefty. Like you, I struggle aiming with my Right hand and can't get my head around controlling movements with my right thumb. The Sharpshooter by its design allows for you to control movements with your left thumb while still letting you aim with motion control in a totally intuitive and natural way. I won't disagree with Ship that it isn't very well balanced and is heavier in the front, but if you brace it against you with the shoulder stock, that's less of an issue. Besides, we're left-handed and therefor put most of the weight in our dominant hand anyway. Don't get me wrong, it's still not nearly as easy to control movement in a FPS game as it is with a standard controller, but for a different, arcade-like experience, I think the Sharpshooter works pretty damned well.

Ship, you should try to keep your movements small while using the Sharpshooter. As long as you keep the Move pointed somewhere on-screen, it's not too hard to control. It's the big jerky movements and the pointing off the side of the screen that usually causes me problems.

Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying the shows. Keep 'em coming!

[quote name='shipwreck']I make it sound like a Galaxy Tab, because it's an apt comparison. Check this out.

Galaxy Tab Dimensions: 7.484 in x 4.742 in x 0.472 in
PlayStation Vita Dimensions: 7.2 in x 3.289 in x 0.73 in
[/QUOTE]

If it's an apt comparison, it's only apt in showing how much bigger the Tab is. Check the width of the devices. A 1.5 in difference in width is a big difference in a portable device.

Regardless, both pics show that the difference between the Vita and the PSP is nowhere near how it's getting hyped on the Cagcast.

[quote name='bickle']If it's an apt comparison, it's only apt in showing how much bigger the Tab is. Check the width of the devices. A 1.5 in difference in width is a big difference in a portable device.

Regardless, both pics show that the difference between the Vita and the PSP is nowhere near how it's getting hyped on the Cagcast.[/QUOTE]

The PlayStation Vita is 23% larger in volume than a PSP2000/3000. I already think the PSP is large for a portable device and it has hindered the usefulness of it to me. There are numerous situations where I have left the PSP at home because it's cumbersome to carry around - especially if you have it in a case of some sort to protect the screen/analog stick. If you want to take the Vita with you, you either need to wear clothes with much bigger pockets than I do on a daily basis or you are going to have to take a bag/backpack/purse to carry it in (much like you'd need to with a Galaxy Tab).

It's a half inch longer than a PSP and a half inch wider than the PSP. IT IS BIG.

Great show guys, and thanks for the free audiobook hook-up.. 20 hours of Neil Gaiman's American Gods should keep me company while waiting for the next CAGcast.

Keep up the great work!

Portable gaming is at an ALL time high right now and will continue for a long time, but its not because of the 3DS or anything sony makes. Smart phones are the Future of gaming. My friend has a 12 year old son... Guess what he wanted to buy? IPOD touch and not a DS. You know what my 5 year old plays in the Car, IPOD touch. You know what adults play? Iphone games. Wombat is, well Wombat again for thinking this. My guess is the Comic book nerd doesnt understand cuz he doesnt have an Iphone or a daughter who can play games yet. Hardcore gamers and ages 6-11 will pick up the new portable systems. Anyone past puberty or casual gamers will all play games via Cell Phones.

[quote name='Kosh']Wow, more misinformation from the Cagcast.

It's not, it's actually the same, 3-5 hours.[/QUOTE]

The misinformation would be declaring the Vita has the same battery life as the 3DS before the Vita ever gets into the wild.

[quote name='shipwreck']The PlayStation Vita is 23% larger in volume than a PSP2000/3000. I already think the PSP is large for a portable device and it has hindered the usefulness of it to me. There are numerous situations where I have left the PSP at home because it's cumbersome to carry around - especially if you have it in a case of some sort to protect the screen/analog stick. If you want to take the Vita with you, you either need to wear clothes with much bigger pockets than I do on a daily basis or you are going to have to take a bag/backpack/purse to carry it in (much like you'd need to with a Galaxy Tab).

It's a half inch longer than a PSP and a half inch wider than the PSP. IT IS BIG.[/QUOTE]

I think Sony goofed and should have made the Vita even bigger. iPad sized. See the Wii U controller.

Most of the things probably won't leave the house or car or surrounding area anyway. Why be stuck with a portable device that doesn't fit into your pockets anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely have time to comment on shows but I had to come back to express how much the arguments or "discussions" like the one on that show are why I listen to CAG. While I mean no offense to Cheapy and I do enjoy hearing from him and Shipwreck. This is yet another episode where Wombat once again proves he is the voice of the people. Everything he said about the 3DS vs the iPhone is everything I've been yelling at Cheapy thru my headphones for numerous episodes. I know how much everyone hates long ranty comments so I'm just gonna once again say thanks to Wombat for giving volume to my voice on the show, two thumbs up and say great show good sirs. great show

[quote name='trip1eX']The misinformation would be declaring the Vita has the same battery life as the 3DS before the Vita ever gets into the wild.[/QUOTE]

You must live in the same cave as CheapyD.

I feel like it's apt to bring up the 'post-desktop era' that Steve Jobs thinks he's created. He hasn't, because that's ridiculous, but I feel like it's the future Cheapy D sees (at least partially)

I could write a lot on how I feel about the misinterpreted 'iPhone Revolution' but I'll stick to games.

The market is different now, not because of smartphones but because of misdirection. Sony competes in many fields, many more than Apple does, actually, and that's probably why they can't pump out a new PSP or PlayStation every year. It's much more difficult to compete with a cell phone because phones are essential to our everyday lives (and Sony makes and sells just as many phones as Apple does), so the point of competition is a little biased. Very few to zero people buy an iPhone with the thought of it playing games, or having an indepth gaming experience. Most people who I see playing games on their smartphones play the same assembly of simple cell phone games we were playing five years ago. Even if games like Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds and Infinity Blade have changed the way we see that, it still doesn't change the masses. I want to say it again, Very few or zero people buy iPhones so that they can play those games.

Similarly very few or zero people buy handheld gaming systems for functionality beyond playing games. The issue is that this space has become very awkward. High-end gaming systems are expensive (not as expensive as high-end smartphones though) and have somewhat limited functionality. Sony has tried amending this space with the Xperia Play, but I think this is all still misdirection.

Honestly, I don't care if my PSP or DS can browse the internet or have amazing graphics, but Sony and Nintendo know people want that. Sony knows that people wanted streamlined consoles and experiences. Perhaps they went about it wrong but they gave us the PSP Go. Nintendo knows social networks are all the rage and so they added StreetPass. The issue these hardware developers have run into is keeping the price low. It's okay to have a $800 smartphone because any service provider will subsidize most of that price in trade of you paying for their service. This is why you can buy an iPhone for $100. However, Sony and Nintendo can't do that since there is no dedicated market. No one wants to buy a $100 PSV so they can pay $50 every month for some service.

But at this end, I don't know where to go personally. Is the mobile gaming market dead? No, certainly not. Android and iOS show us a very lively market that is developing and evolving. Will we see another 3DS or PSV in five years? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet on it. Sony has already shown their interest in making high-end Android-gaming Smartphones. Will that succeed? I don't know, but Tommy Refenes has one, and that's good enough for me.

Also, I agree with Shipwreck on the size of the PSV. I own a device that has a 3.2" screen and an Archos 5 with a 5" screen and the difference is huge. The PSP is quite large, even after numerous revisions. The PSV is even larger and it just sounds like a small TV.

Sorry for the late reply, just now listening to the show:

As the biggest Cyclops and Emma Frost fan on CAG and in the history of the VS. System trading card game, I was disappointed, but not surprised at the horrible performance January Jones gave from Emma Frost. Any Mad Men fan knows she's the worst part of that show and she was also the worst part of this movie and was only cast as Emma as she had the body and hair color.

Emma is suppossed to be cold, but also coniving, seductive, and out for herself, at least at that point of her character's development. Every opportunity January was given to show these traits she just came off as a wet fish. I sent an angry tweet at her Twitter account and was made fun of by my friends. FYI she's hasn't updated her official Twitter since Mad Men season 4 came out on DVD/BR.

Wombat, Pixie has become the new "this is the young character to showcase the trials and tribulations of growing up a mutant" in the last few years. Also Pixie in the comics is caucasian. She's basically Jubilee/Shadowcat 2.0 as those 2 characters have their own problems now
(Jubilee is a vampire and Shadowcat saved the earth by phasing a planet killer bullet she was stuck inside through the earth but couldn't phase back to solid form essentially "killing" her only for Magneto to find the bullet going through space and bring her back to Earth but only as a living ghost.)

Also I think the Move sales are part of Sony's Long Live Play campaign as Amazon now and KMart next week are doing similar deals. The sign at Gamestop also has the Long Live Play campaign slogan on it.

And you forgot to mention White Knight Chronicles II in the new releases section.

bread's done
Back