CAGcast #269: Can't You Better?

I'm surprised that the Jessica Chobot/ME3 things seems to be wrapped in a lot of controversy. It's not like Bioware doesn't have a habit of picking women to put in games. Mass Effect 2 had a character modeled and voiced by Yvonne Strahovski. Granted, she's an actual actress compared to Chobot, but like Cheapy said, I doubt she would have been picked if she wasn't good enough.

As for the internet celeb thing, mine are pretty much just youtube guys: Chris Smoove, FreddieW, Peter Chao, FPS Russia, and Simon & Lewis from the Yogscast.

Finally, PS3 plz. :D

I also love how the cagcast summary is just about the last 3 minutes of the show ;)
yeah it took me 3 hours to finally finish the cagcast... 20 hour workday... boooooo

2 Gigs of data on an iPhone go fast if you are watching a bunch of youtube videos or streaming audio. I'm over every month on data. I'll reluctantly pay $10+ for more internet and when the new iPhone comes out I will go to Sprint? Unlimited data with a shitty network, is it worth it?

[quote name='4nik8tor']Hey Wombat,
I use around 3.5 gigs a month on my phone, and that was before I had netflix. Just lots of Justintv then.
But, I was always streaming something 10+ hours a day. 2 gigs should be fine.
Check out Stitcher if you can, its basically Pandora, but for podcasts.
.. and Netflix of course.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rogueweapon']2 Gigs of data on an iPhone go fast if you are watching a bunch of youtube videos or streaming audio.[/QUOTE]

That's all it boils down to. Streaming. If Wombat is going to use Netflix, Pandora, i♥radio and the like, then yeah, 2GB will go fast. 2GB is fine for normal every day functions including downloading apps and games. I'd say just stick to personal mp3's, podcasts and gaming on the commute and there's nothing to worry about.

Personally, I'm on Unlimited but my wife is not. I have Wi-Fi set every place we go (home, work, friends, family, even popular restaurants, etc), so neither of us are doing anything data intensive over 3G. That way if she's out and wants to pull up YouTube, download an app or stream something I don't have to fret about going over.

Looking at the past 18 months of usage, my biggest month was 286mb. :lol: So I could save money by dropping the unlimited, but I know I'd curse myself the day I did.

I have to say that it's hard to make a list of internet celeb's. I only think of only a few that was able to take much advantage of it and became really big. So in this case if they are known outside of video gaming genre's and other genre's they should be considered A list. B List should be highly known in certain communities and genre's or creators of websites. Whether that be Video Games, Health & Fitness, or Couponing etc. C List should be ranked by notable to a certain group but not "B List" notable. D List should be comprised of ones that are bottom feeders or that just have been around for awhile and just do not seem to get the momentum to propel themselves to more internet stardom.

So here is my list:
A List: Perez Hilton, Mark Zuckerberg
B List: Jessica Chobot, Major Nelson, Chad Vader, Many more Youtube stars
C List: Penny Arcade Guys, Cheapy D
D List: Wombat, Shipwreck

As for the code Shipwreck I would like a PS3 version if possible ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yea Nestle Crunch! Crackle and Crunch need to make it happen. More Crackle Shipwreck! (sure to be confused with "more cowbell")

I'm interested in the ps3 versions of the dead island dlc codes. Also, yet another wonderful cagcast that I listened to about 3 times already over the weekend OTW to work.

I love you guys! Especially Wombat cause his sense of humor is similar to mine.

Kudos to Cheapy and Shipwreck for being excellent minions to Wombat's wretched hive of scum and villainy. If I had one wish, it's that each episode would be 90 minutes or longer just so I can listen to more real-life antics between you three.

Thanks for everything and see you next week! ~Fairy Leviathan / Crystal Sea Fate

Thanks so much for another great show!
Internet celebs that I am familiar with include: Major Nelson and Cheapy D and Shipwreck!
I loved Dead Island and would love to play the DLC on PS3 please!

A-The Penny Arcade guys, PAX baby
B- Felicia Day
C- Wombat P

and if I could get either of the xbox codes taht woud be awesome

Cheapy, I bought saints row, its shaq-fuing awesome! Is the season pass worht the $20?

Picked up dead island too. Shipwreck, a 360 code would be awesome!

Great show guys!

Nice show guys. The intro made me laugh for some reason, even though I've heard that song a 100 times. Also, Dead Island DLC for the 360 por favor!

Hmm, internet celebrities.

Well, lets look at objectively in how we compare to what people would consider normal celebrities and derive some universal guidelines.

A List - People who have had over a length of time a large popular following. I would say to make the A list you would need to have ventured into the mainstream media relatively often, be that through movies, TV shows, magazines or conventions. Also included in here would be people who have been both successful and popular in mainstream media as well as online media.

Examples: Penny Arcade Guys, Leo Laporte, Felicia Day, Will Wheaton, Mark Zuckerberg

B List - People who are very well known in a specific niche genre on the internet. They may have had a passing note in mainstream media from time to time but are largely know by their dedicated genre and fan base. Often thought of in relation to a specific website. I would say that most of the popular podcast groups would fall under this heading.

Examples: Rooster Teeth chaps, Cheapy and crew, Jonathan Coultran, Giant Bombcast guys.

C List - The one hit wonders of the internet. Often occurs due to a sudden uptake of a meme or attaching of mainstream media note. Largely forgotten in a few months never to rise again.

Examples: Rebecca Black, Star Wars Kid

From what I could find, the full size krackel bar was discontinued sometime between 1998 and 2006 (reports vary). Apparently it had something to do with a change in chocolate formula which would have forbade them from continuing to put "milk chocolate" on the wrapper due to a reduced cocca butter content.

Oh and if any PC codes happen to fall my way that would be pretty cool.

Wombat should've jumped at the opportunity to lose weight at hundred dollars a pound. I don't care what tax bracket your in, thats a deal. Its a shame wombat didn't seem interested. Especially considering his constant dieting.

Why do people keep saying Penny Arcade? That is not a person, its a brand. Most people have heard of Penny Arcade in the gaming community, but can the same people name one or both of the guys behind it? If so than they deserve to be in the higher ranking, if its just the brand recognition than the brand is more famous than the brand's creator. So if a Brand is bigger than its creators, is that really making them A-list celeberties? Marc Zuckerberg was overshadowed by facebook but when the movie came out he became well known. So now many people can tell you who Mark Zuckerberg is, but before that he was just a creator overshadowed by his creation. Same goes with twitter, it's huge but many people do not know who the creators are. Twitter as a brand will be on the A-List but the creators are not known all that well so they can fall lower on the list.

Wombat, regarding your talk on The Darkness II, have you read any of the Darkness comics? I've only read the one trade that was $5 (Darkness: Accused? I think that's what it was called). If you have read more, anything you would recommend? I've read my share of Witchblade. That's a pretty good series from what I've read.

Oh, internet celeb. How bout that Maddox guy who had that blog "Greatest Page in the Universe" or whatever that lead to Alphabet of Manliness book?

PS3 please. :)

Do you think wth Vita games being in the SEN store for 10% less then retailers that Retailers will try to sell the game at a discount during week 1 sales? I am very curious on what the trend will be with new Vita games and how the games sell on the shelves versus the online store.

[quote name='Davestation']Why do people keep saying Penny Arcade? .[/QUOTE]I think once you make a Time Top 100 list you can safely be called A list.

Penny Arcade writers Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, better known as their alter-egos Gabe and Tycho, have made Time Magazine’s Top 100 Most Influential People for the year 2010, joining the ranks of Barack Obama, Conan O’Brien, Oprah Winfrey and others.

A List - Major Nelson, Angry Video Game Nerd, Red vs. Blue
B List - Veronica Belmont, Penny Arcade
C List - Cheapy D
D List - Wombat

I am interested in the Dead Island code. Playing through Xbox 360 co-op now.

[quote name='Clue']I think once you make a Time Top 100 list you can safely be called A list.[/QUOTE]

Penny Arcade writers Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, better known as their alter-egos Gabe and Tycho, have made Time Magazine’s Top 100 Most Influential People for the year 2010, joining the ranks of Barack Obama, Conan O’Brien, Oprah Winfrey and others.

Not necessarily, they got recognized for their work. I agree they do great work with PAX and Child's Play; however, we are talking about overall celebrity. With that thinking when one wins the Nobel Peace Prize they become a celebrity? I can only name one Nobel Peace Prize winner out of many.

Their work is great and many gamers have heard of Penny Arcade, but not all of them can actually name the creators. Even in the Time quote that you provided they had to reiterate who Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins are. If you have to reiterate who someone is is that necessarily an A-List internet celebrity?

Another test is if one of the two creators where walking down the street alongside Mark Zuckerberg who would the general public recognize more? I would think that the mass would recognize Zukerberg over either creator.

Celebrity is defined as a famous person and being well known. Mike and Jerry are known more for their work instead of their celebrity. I like what they have done, but once again their work is A-List witch over shadows them themselves. If they had a movie about them like "The Social Network" than that would help them become A-List.

Awesome show guys! The only internet celebrities I like to meet are CheapyD, Wombat, Shipwreck and James Rolfe.

A list internet celebs? I don't think they exist. An A lister is someone who guarantees box office, someone a movie is designed around. I can't think of anyone who would qualify in the internet world.

I would love the Dead Island Arena DLC in Xbox 360 format please.

Some a-list internet celebs

Matt Drudge
Leo laporte
Major Nelson
Jeff Jarvis

B-list
Cheapie d, bloggers etc

C/d list
Flash in the pans like Rebecca black

Xbox 360 please

I don't believe the internet really has A-listers. Pretty much people are only known in their own respective arenas. Even the most fervered internet hoopla goes fizzle when put into the "real world" (for example, Snakes On A Plane).

So, I'd max out the list at B+.
CheapyD definitely entered B- territory with his own Saints Row DLC. Children across the world now wonder "who is the weird bald guy with the cool car?"

I'd like a shot at the BloodBath Arena DLC for 360.
I have no interest in the Ryder White stuff... No Co-op & No Achievements? No thanks.

Hmm, aside from the CAGcast crew, which I would put in the low B, high C list...

Rebecca Black
Tay Zonday
Justin Bieber... (I know, I know, but he did start on YouTube)
Nima Numa kid
Light saber kid

PS3 please

Krackle, I think I have seen it on its own before, sort of like nestle milk chocolate bars int he red wrappers, very hard to come by. XBOX 360 please.

If you're still giving away codes for the Dead Island DLC, I'd love the Xbox 360 version please.

As for the internet celebrities, I would consider A-List to be anyone that most internet savvy people would know by name alone, so maybe someone like Perez Hilton. B-List would be someone that people might recognize the name but you have to give them a little indication who they are, so someone like Rebecca Black ("Friday" song). Sorry Cheapy, that leaves you at C-List underneath Perez Hilton and Rebecca Black.

Great show as always guys, keep up the laughs.

Hey Ship,

Have you played the new Tropico 4 DLC? Just wondered if it was any good. Not sure if there would have been time for that outside Skyrim however

Great show as ever guys

[quote name='Davestation']Not necessarily, they got recognized for their work. I agree they do great work with PAX and Child's Play; however, we are talking about overall celebrity. With that thinking when one wins the Nobel Peace Prize they become a celebrity? I can only name one Nobel Peace Prize winner out of many.

Their work is great and many gamers have heard of Penny Arcade, but not all of them can actually name the creators. Even in the Time quote that you provided they had to reiterate who Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins are. If you have to reiterate who someone is is that necessarily an A-List internet celebrity?

Another test is if one of the two creators where walking down the street alongside Mark Zuckerberg who would the general public recognize more? I would think that the mass would recognize Zukerberg over either creator.

Celebrity is defined as a famous person and being well known. Mike and Jerry are known more for their work instead of their celebrity. I like what they have done, but once again their work is A-List witch over shadows them themselves. If they had a movie about them like "The Social Network" than that would help them become A-List.[/QUOTE]I see where you're coming from. On this, we'll need to agree to disagree. To be honest I could more easily point out the two of them than I could Zukerberg.

I think in respect to the two of them, they are the brand so the two things become interchangeable. Opposite of say Twitter where the idea/technology isn't thought of as associated with the developers.

1. Jeff Gerstmann
2. Ship & Wombat
3. Hiroko Minamoto

I'd love the 360 Version of Dead Island DLC

i haven't read the whole thread so if someone already brought this up then i'm sorry, but i'm not sure how you can have your own convention(s) in your name, that is attended by 10's of thousands of people and not be considered A list. just my $.02

[quote name='kodos64']i haven't read the whole thread so if someone already brought this up then i'm sorry, but i'm not sure how you can have your own convention(s) in your name, that is attended by 10's of thousands of people and not be considered A list. just my $.02[/QUOTE]

Can you name the old dude that runs the Oscars? Dude gets up on stage and gives a little speech that is seen by billions. Surely he's a celebrity.

Don't suppose there is a free key going for PC version of Ryder Whyte anymore. Wasn't able to post when I 1st signed up :( . Internet celebs..... I have no idea as I don't follow any unless you count CAG :p

1st off, congrats on 4 million downloads and on January being such a sold month for you guys!

as for internet celebrities i dont really care to know any unless theyre on youtube so i cant really give you a list there.
id love the dead island codes for the 360 though!

[quote name='kodos64']i haven't read the whole thread so if someone already brought this up then i'm sorry, but i'm not sure how you can have your own convention(s) in your name, that is attended by 10's of thousands of people and not be considered A list. just my $.02[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Corvin']Can you name the old dude that runs the Oscars? Dude gets up on stage and gives a little speech that is seen by billions. Surely he's a celebrity.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Corvin on this. Even if there where 4 million individual people downloading that is only them listening to it once in a 5 or so year span in time. That in itself is unlikely and I have probably downloaded 75 of them, so the people that subscribe to the show is actually much less than 4 million individuals. I have no idea how many registered users Penny Arcade has but lets give them 4 million as well for this experiment.

Now the United States has a population estimate of 311.6 Million people. So to give the CAGcast or Penny Arcade the benefit of the doubt I am going to say there are 312 million people in the United States and they have 4 million loyal listeners weekly or registered users. That is only 1.28% of the general United States population. That is not A-List at all...and trust me that's just a fraction of the almost 7 billion people in the world. After all we are talking internet celebrity here and every address starts off world wide web dot.

To me I think of the Cagcast as A-List in my household and my kids think they are A-List because I provide that illusion for them. However, when my kids go to school I have provided them with a social awkwardness by giving them the illusion that the CAGcast is A-List material when in all actuality the CAGcast is not. So when it comes time for ice breakers and talking about what you like, all the other kids will be talking about Elmo or Spongebob and they can all relate. Than my kid is going to get up there and talk about taking huge shits and big ass chains and no one, not even the teacher will know what he is talking about. After that my kid will be alienated from all social groups in his school because I thought it would be fun telling him that the CAGcast is A-List and everyone knows them.

[quote name='Davestation']I have to agree with Corvin on this. Even if there where 4 million individual people downloading that is only them listening to it once in a 5 or so year span in time. That in itself is unlikely and I have probably downloaded 75 of them, so the people that subscribe to the show is actually much less than 4 million individuals. I have no idea how many registered users Penny Arcade has but lets give them 4 million as well for this experiment.

Now the United States has a population estimate of 311.6 Million people. So to give the CAGcast or Penny Arcade the benefit of the doubt I am going to say there are 312 million people in the United States and they have 4 million loyal listeners weekly or registered users. That is only 1.28% of the general United States population. That is not A-List at all...and trust me that's just a fraction of the almost 7 billion people in the world. After all we are talking internet celebrity here and every address starts off world wide web dot.

To me I think of the Cagcast as A-List in my household and my kids think they are A-List because I provide that illusion for them. However, when my kids go to school I have provided them with a social awkwardness by giving them the illusion that the CAGcast is A-List material when in all actuality the CAGcast is not. So when it comes time for ice breakers and talking about what you like, all the other kids will be talking about Elmo or Spongebob and they can all relate. Than my kid is going to get up there and talk about taking huge shits and big ass chains and no one, not even the teacher will know what he is talking about. After that my kid will be alienated from all social groups in his school because I thought it would be fun telling him that the CAGcast is A-List and everyone knows them.[/QUOTE]

I thought the question was A list "internet" celebrities, not A list celebrities in general. I translated internet celebrities to mean "geek" celebrities, so that could be a bad translation in my part. If we are talking general celebrities I don't think any geek celebrity would be even close except for Wil Wheaton just because of tNG.

I think Wombat was in the right in spending some time discussing the whole issue with the 360 account banning, it was nice to see the issue resolved, and some good points were made. Issues with MSFT Customer Service led me to ultimately switch over to a PS3, even after the issue was resolved with Microsoft.

As for a B list internet celebrity, how about the Epic Meal Time guys?

I'd like to be thrown in the hat for a PS3 version of the Dead Island DLC, please.

bread's done
Back