CAGcast #269: Can't You Better?

1. Techno Viking
2. Guy from Masterchef that does 'buttery biscuit bass'
3. Tacgnol.

Oh...i'll go Rhyder White.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy seem almost uninterested on Starhawk.Didn't care if he got info wrong.Internet celebrities would be CheapyD,Felicia Day,Veronica Belmont,various game journalist, and youtubers.I would like the Ryder White DLC.

[quote name='banodyne']Cheapy and Wombat, you HAVE to let your kids play Happy Action Theater. Best game for toddlers on Xbox. My 4-year old and 16-month old baby couldn't get enough of it. Tai and Sabrina will become obsessed.[/QUOTE]

16 months and playing video-games..... oh boy there goes that kids brain.

Xbox360: Blood Bath Arena DLC please!

List of internet celebrities
1. CheapyD
2. Shipwreck
3. Olivia Munn
4. Wombat

Skyrim affecting Final Fantasy interest, Shipwreck? I doubt it. Two very different fan bases. Most jRPG enthusiasts stick with and support that genre.

I always imagined that the B-List internet celebrities would be the more well-known game journalists, such as Jeff Gerstmann, Adam Sessler, and Geoff Keighley. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what I'd put on the A-List. I was thinking maybe the Nostalgia Critic and the AVGN, and some of those YouTube stars.

I was going to comment on Wombat's data usage concerns that I've stuck to the 200MB plan and never went over it, but the irony is that I streamed the CAGcast over WiFi today and it looks like my phone disconnected when it went into lock mode. That's an extra $15 for this month. I've never had this problem, but I'm pretty sure it was because I was using Instacast.

Xbox 360 Ryder White Please!!!

List of internet celebrities
1. CheapyD of CAG
2. Craig of TV & LUST
3. RobMan of Happy Console Gamer

Could I get some-o-that PC Ryder White?!

Internet Celebs:
1. Shipwreck of CAG (certainly not because your likely to give out the codes)
2. Jessica "Robot" Chobot
3. Jim Sterling of Destructoid

Hey Wombat,
I use around 3.5 gigs a month on my phone, and that was before I had netflix. Just lots of Justintv then.
But, I was always streaming something 10+ hours a day. 2 gigs should be fine.
Check out Stitcher if you can, its basically Pandora, but for podcasts.
.. and Netflix of course.

I'd name some internet celeb's for a 360 code, but cindy margolis is the only one who comes to mind, and who gives a crap about her?

Hey guys. Loved the show! I think it has been going well for a while now and it feels like the flow is quicker than before. A couple of comments here:

I was kinda surprised about Chobot in ME3, and honestly, good for her. Females can't catch a break for shit. Betcha if they didn't put her in the cast trailer and just silently had her in there, people might have been shocked when they saw her name in the credits and go, "It knew it was her!" Haters gonna hate.

Maybe it's because I've been playing RPGs since the SNES era, but I've never come to terms with "JRPG." Back in the day they were all just RPGs. If anything, it should be changed to ARPG or western RPG. We were the ones who were straying from the original formula. Also, I'm pretty sure some gamers haven't come to terms with the style of characters commonly associated with eastern RPGs nowadays. Regarding FFXIII-2, it probably won't sell as much as the prequel, but in the long run, there are a lot of people like myself who like Final Fantasy for what it was rather than what it is.

To Cheapy - keep on with the Dead Island, but screw single player. Much like any other cooperative game, it's always more enjoyable with friends. Heck, even I'll play with ya! I'm up at crazy Japan times, yo.

My internet celebrities include James Rolfe, the wonderful Cross Counter team of Gootecks & Mike Ross, and pretty much all the gaming folks from CAG, Joystiq, and Giant Bomb.

Xbox 360 ver. of Arena DLC please! Arigatou~

I helped reach 2,700,000 downloads! nice
xbox dead island
internet celebrity doug benson. "hey everybody"

I think a person's idea of Internet celebrity will vary per person. We all have different interests. I think Cheapy would be a high "B"-level Internet celebrity. Someone on a podcast, like say, Weekend Confirmed or the Giant Bombcast will say something like "Oh, yeah, of course I know Cheapy D. I love that guy."

That's celebrity. Plus, how many people (in general) can say they've been featured in Forbes? Cheapy's fortunate enough to make a living off what he does on Internet. That's legit stuff.

Anyhow, regarding other people who became celebrities solely based on Internet presence, I think YouTube celebrities (e.g., that Ray William Johnson guy, Kassem G, etc.) would be "A" list. Those people have leveraged their fame into TV commercials, TV shows, and legitimate career opportunities.

Just my two cents. (This isn't a contest entry, by the way.)

P.S. UFC 143 is today. Diaz-Condit has Fight of the Year potential. Here's the CAG MMA thread. ;)

Cheapy I agree with you 100% on Twisted Metal. Graphics suck, controls suck, network for online sucks. That game is going to bomb like Resistance 3 did. Only the Jaffe fanboys are hyping that game up, it is terrible.

internet celebrity: the angry grandpa

ps3 version

I'm with Wombat on his SoulCalibur V review. It is a fun game with some of the most impressive visuals of this generation, but the story mode is ass. However, I did like the character creation on this game. Sure, you don't get to choose your individual moves like in a wrestling game (and I can see why that could be a problem in a fighting game), but the level of character customization is pretty in depth.

The core gameplay mechanics are the same 8-way-run style from the previous games, but they made a lot of changes like a pretty useful sidestep feature, more responsive blocking, better defensive options (no more awkward parrying!!!) and new EX and Super moves - as well as some minor tweaks to the character move sets (goodbye, Critical Finishes!). With that said, I think the game feels way more streamlined and accessible than SoulCalibur III and IV - which is great for those of us who love the original SoulCalibur and SoulCalibur II. Also, the game has one of the best online components you could ever find in a current-generation fighting game. The lobby system is great, the netcode is amazing, and you can even create rivalries by selecting other players from all over the world. This means that whenever you get online, the matchmaking system looks for those players you have marked as rivals and then you have a bigger chance to face those players online, which adds to the whole competitive aspect of the game.

The game feels a lot more balanced and fun than SoulCalibur IV, which is awesome because the only good thing about Soul Calibur IV was the tower mode. Still, it could have benefited from a better story mode - like having a short storyline for each of the characters, or maybe integrating all the cast on the storyline instead of focusing on a handful of characters. Anyways, it is the best Soul Calibur that has been released since SoulCalibur II, and while we could say that Mortal Kombat 9 raised the bar for storytelling in fighting games, SoulCalibur V has laid out what should be the online standard for all future fighting games.

Xbox 360 please

My Internet celebrities are the ones who go on to be included in games, like cheapy, including Felicia day and Jessica chobot. Though cheapy wins for being in the game as himself.

For show feedback, I'm new to the podcast, but went back to find your thoughts on dark souls. Seems like you weren't giving it much love. Any additional thoughts or playtimes these many months later? Keep up the great work guys.

Great show guys. My feedback.
1. Cheapy is a B list Internet celebrity
2. Nelson, Stepto and the rest of MS are a bunch of douches for not getting a handle on these hacking/banning issues.

360 DLC

Wombat has to have moved into the Internet celeb list after last weeks twitter blow up.

PS3 DLC
Thank you for recommending "The Eliminators", the movie that has robots, cavemen, and kungfu. Guys you HAVE to make Cheapy watch this movie.
Internet A-list: Penny Arcade Dudes, Rooster Teeth, Felicia Day, Major Nelson

I gotta say, CheapyD's idea of a Burnout Paradise-like game set in the Twisted Metal universe sounded brilliant. And I'm not even a Twisted Metal fan, but that would be an great new direction for the series.

[quote name='adawg555']Xbox 360 DLC.
And Internet Celebrity A-Listers: DeStorm, FPS Russia, and Chris Smoove are my Top 3.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of any of them.

when I think of A list internet celebrities I think of Leo Laporte. no I don't want a dead Island code either.

PS3 code for Ryder White please!

As for internet celebs, I think for me it would just be guys from the gaming sites I follow - CAG, Giant Bomb, Chris Grant/Justin McElroy, Colin Moriarty, Jeff Green, etc...

Anyway, decent show as always. Everyone in my area is sick because of the crazy weather we are getting as well.

I agree with the comments on twisted metal, It should have really been a cheap downloadable game only. I managed to get into a few nuke games, and while I really had a blast with it, I couldn't see myself playing it enough to be worth the $60. I'm already having way more fun with the gotham city imposters beta and the full version of that is only going to be $15.

I'm not excusing Microsoft, but I don't think Wombat understands the difficult position they are in. The amount of hacking/ cheating is massive and the hackers have become incredibly good at social engineering techniques. Hackers will literally call 100x per day trying to get that one CS rep that they can manipulate and they then exchange information about which techniques work with particular reps. If Microsoft allows the regular customer support staff any control over account access and unbanning decisions then they will end up doing more harm than good. EA found this out the hard way with this year's FIFA.

As a result the decisions have to be made by technically knowledgable people who can investigate server records and see what is really happening. Having those peope sit and filter out 100 calls from cheaters for every legit call would be incredibly costly. The end results is the current situation where direct access to someone with authority to unban accounts is very limited.

fuck this Internet Celebrity list. Wombat, Shipwreck and Cheapy are A list in my book. Next year at PAX, there's no way I'm waiting in line for Major Nelson or IGN. But I'd line up to see a CAG panel/live podcast, that's for sure. Just like I lined up to see the Weekend Confirmed show with an all star cast including Jeff Green and John Davison.

Really enjoyed the show this week!

I'm up for a PC code in the giveaway.

Hey, just started listening and listened back to the 2011 awards. I really like the podcast. I wish there was a little more time spent on new releases. I think Soul Calibur should have been treated much harsher. I got Final Fantasy XIII 2 for very cheap and have only played 2 or so hours. The story isn't hot but the production value on this game and the opening are better than anything in XIII. I played that one all the way through and again the opening is much more exciting. I think the $20 credit for this game and getting it for $30 or so on glyde in the first week are amazing deals. Why is this month so big for games? I am building credit towards the vita and want to know if it makes sense to abandon the 3ds before the inevitable 2nd analog audience segmenting update? I am going to trade in my FF XIII 2 when I am done in a month for the $30 credit regardless and have about $60 credit. I have a lot more PSN content than anything with nintendo and can probably get $100 to $125 for the 3ds still.

On the awards last year. I am very happy someone mentioned Deus X and Dragon Age 2 got some hate. Agreed with much of what was said. I did like uncharted 3 a lot though, there were some frustrating parts and I was expecting more a more shocking story but the 3d was great on the new playstation monitor and my tv and the co op mp is still sweet. The competitive mp kind of sucks though and isn't a 10, the competitive mp bugged me much more than the campaign. I can totally see though where it would be very difficult if you don't do well with sniping in fps'. There was also just a little bit too much Drake falling through things for me and agree after 3 games it is borderline stale.

I also think you should discuss what Nintendo and Sony losing so much money means for games being cheaper/ less cheap / and how to best support them while still trying to get best value. To me everyone should support PS+, what a great service and the PSN outtage seems so tiny compared to the XBOX live mess. In no way did XBOX or whatever team who gave him the system and games did they do enough. They should have given him all the new releases this upcoming year, 4000 points at least, and an ungodly amount of swag. That was an ordeal and XBOX came off looking really cheap to me.... to the point I trying to support Sony and just how many free games they gave away to everyone effected or not. I am not a fanboy of either I support videogames in general and the best games not a system or specfiic company.

For upcoming new releases do you see syndicate mp being busy enough to warrant the credit deal at amazon? what game will hold its value best coming out in Feb? It seems like some games did better than others from the holiday season. I.E. rayman origins did horrible (thanks no online mp) vs something like skyrim, saints row 3, or mario 3d land. Also what game will lost its value or be on sale quickest (including vita and vita games) Whatever you do, keep up the good work and thank you for the site. Thanks!

[quote name='adawg555']Xbox 360 DLC.
And Internet Celebrity A-Listers: DeStorm, FPS Russia, and Chris Smoove are my Top 3.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Curufinwe']Never heard of any of them.[/QUOTE]

I assume they're all YouTube stars since I know FPS Russia and Chris Smoove are since I watch them. Don't know DeStorm, but FPS Russia shoots real big guns in open farm areas to showoff their destructive power, and Chris Smoove does commentaries for Call of Duty and NBA 2K.

Stuttering Craig
CAG

I honestly have no idea who Veronica Belmont is other than Cheapy mentioning her in one episode about her having double dragons.

The Chobot discussion: I did listen to IGN's old Girlfight Podcast where Chobot was a frequent guest. She was a big fan of the game as well as other people on the show. Also I think she primarily works for G4 now, and she just does a couple of videos for IGN. I agree with the guys I don't see the big deal with her being cast.

I have not read the original post so I can't comment on the specifics of that case, but when Microsoft restores your account they do say check your profile/bio to make sure nothing has been tampered with.

Entertaining podcast as usual.

Internet celebrities: Nathan Barnatt, Jeff Gerstmann, the McElroy bros, and of course CAG.

Ryder White for PC please.

The whole notion of celebrity makes my stomach turn honestly. A lot of these artificial celebrities just whore themselves out for numbers of subscribers/followers/whatever. A lot of those "youtube" stars come to mind doing asenine crap and uploading waste of bandwidth content. That Fred guy or whatever comes to mind, I'm sure the number of followers and notoriaty gives him celebrity status. Although I probably feel the same way about other "real-lfie" celebrities like most reality tv stars.

Thanks for the show, especially talking about Amalur. Think I'll avoid it on console since I really do not have any space on either console, maybe wait for a price drop on PC.

I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for PC Dead Island DLC. Thanks.

Xbox 360 Ryder White. Congrats on the listeners. I still remember things from the early days like shit shoes, Wombat's Guitar Hero one thoughts, and how you guys were amazed by Gun for the 360 because it was the first 360 game you had ever seen.

As far as internet celebrity, I think you have to have gotten your celebrity from the net and only the net.
A: Rebecca Black, Charlie bit me, honey badger, Double Rainbow guy
B: Angry Video Nerd
C: CheapyD

Great episode! I agree, Cheapy should totally invest in THX, then put Wombat in charge.
PS3 please.
Internet celebs: Ray William Johnson /Chris Hardwick/Shipwreck.

I like to listen to the CAGcast, while going to bed. It always helps me fall asleep. I always fall asleep when when Wombat rants/tells a boring story or when you guys talk about new releases (that you don't care about).
Great show.

I'm honestly really enjoying Final Fantasy XIII-2. I've already put like 9 hours into it in two days. I haven't even put that many hours into Skyrim, which I have owned for a month and a half. I think I need some linearity in my RPGs such as Final Fantasy and somewhat the Mass Effect series. I've tried Fallout 3 and Skyrim and neither capture my interest. I prefer when the director of the game sets a pace of events that they want the player to see, and not just a big open world.

Also, definitely buy a gaming computer Cheapy. You can plug it into your TV with an HDMI cable and most games are plug-and-play with the 360 controller, so the experience should be pleasant if you prefer couch gaming. Also, if you've seen the Steam sale and Amazon digital download threads, then you are aware of how insanely cheap PC games are compared to console. Not to mention that it would probably be far more convenient for you since you live in Japan and can avoid importing.

bread's done
Back