CAGcast #276: My Back Hurts and I'm Doing a Podcast

[quote name='Wombat']Yes, then you are right, that is the canon. Still how she took over it is a large plot point, that I can see being confusing for someone who hasn't played the DLC. Which was more of the point I was trying to make.

I was also confused as you guys made it sound as though you still had the old Shadow Broker in your ME3 game.[/QUOTE]

In fairness to you, you said Ben Gilbert brought the point up. So he was the one who was actually wrong and you just believed him.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Then the same applies with the Arrival. Happened off screen, but it still happened and is now canon.

I think the main complaint is player canon. If they go into ME3 expecting the Shadow Broker as a mysterious character in space like a more secretive Illusive Man, then suddenly it's Liara...then that's a sudden WTF happened moment that isn't explained. Or at least I'm guessing it isn't explained.[/QUOTE]

They explain it in a "Oh yeah by the way I'm the Shadow Broker now" kind of way.

The arrival DLC you piece together as the game goes on. I think it's somewhere in the Codex as well.

It's pieced together pretty well for the most part. But having the dlc or not does not radically change the ME3 experience, which maybe some people were expecting.

WOMBAT

The New Orleans Saints are the best sports team in the history of the universe, everyone knows this

On top of that our head coach is suspended for the season, our gm is suspended for 8 games and we lost our 2nd round draft pick for the next 2 seasons.

Add a few $500,000 fines and pending suspensions for our some of our defensive players, what's not to love?

Join the WhoDat nation and help us find out who the Snitch is!

breesus+christ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@shipwreck

What day/days are you planning on attending MLG and do you intend to bring your Vita? My guess is if you bring your Vita you'll be able to figure out NEAR or--at the very least--witness NEAR explode upon checking in...

Cheapy you compared the ending of ME3 to an author who writes an ending to his book and I do not think you get the point. First I would like to say you need to beat the game before you comment about anything regarding the ending but with that said:

This was the ending of a TRILOGY. We were promised answers and closure for the entire series. This wasn't just one game. All us loyal fans got was a big shit on our faces with the promise of a new ending for $9.99. Fans are upset because and they should be upset because they paid $60 for a final ending to the trilogy and instead got a slap in the face instead.

If I go to a restaurant and order a burger and they bring me a taco instead, I am gonna complain about it. That is what Bioware pulled.

I agree with CheapyD on Robot Alchemic Drive being awesome, but I don't agree that a remake or sequel should be "westernized". Robot Alchemic Drive parodies a lot of the older robot anime stereotypes, so much so that the voice acting was intentionally terrible. I even recall a news reporter in the game having a ridiculously over-the-top Japanese accent. Anyway, it's a great game, and I recommend it to everyone if you can find a cheap copy at GameStop or something.
http://www.giantbomb.com/robot-alchemic-drive-rad/61-18060/

Good show.

I really don't wan to be a dick but...

You still giving away that copy of Naruto guys, I'd wouldn't mind taking it off your hands.

[quote name='metalmat']
Join the WhoDat nation and help us find out who the Snitch is!
[/QUOTE]

Warren Sapp said it was Shockey.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Warren Sapp said it was Shockey.[/QUOTE]

Eh I don't think a retweet from Warren Sapp is confirmation. It would not be a huge surprise if it was him but its nothing solid

When it comes to ME 2 DLC showing up in my ME3 game, it doesn't matter in my opinion. See, I went and bought ME 2 DLC and various points in time. What ended up happening is I would play the game as character X, but never bothered with the DLC with character Y because I didn't want to play it again.

As a result I played through ME3 without shadow broker DLC acknowledgement in ME3 and I was fine with it. They did a nice job explaining what happened and I was like "Oh that Drell I had no attachment to died" oh well. The only thing you are missing I'm sure is about 15-20 minutes of dialogue and war assets from all the ME 2 DLC put together.

The reason I'm sure that they did this is because of ME 2 on PS3 which had all DLC included on the blu ray disc except "The Arrival" DLC if I remember correctly. I bet they figured people playing on the PS3 would be like "WTF happened to so and so" Since it was part of the game for them. I like that they included the ME 2 DLC and don't worry about feeling left out on content because you didn't buy ME 2 DLC. The missions still happen, it's just that Person A or B isn't present just like the people who died during the suicide mission in ME 2.

[quote name='ZombieJeebus']Warren Sapp said it was Shockey.[/QUOTE]

The snitch was probably the Exchange server. The NFL probably requisitioned email archives and went through a discovery process to see if there was any evidence. Payton was quoted as telling coaches to have all their "ducks in a row", that sounds like something that came from an email.

Back to games....I think anyone expecting a new ending to ME3 is sorely mistaken. Muzyka's announcement says nothing of the sort. Here's the exact quote:
"Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey."

That sounds like plugging plot holes (which are pretty damned big), and not constructing a new ending.

Wombat, you need to become a Carolina Panthers fan. The team was completely re-built last year and is in a place to make a play off run this year. A great coach, a quarterback with a lot of talent behind him, and after the draft, hopefully a beastly defense. Just wait, Panthers have a prime opportunity this year with the self-destruction of the Saints.
Plus, we have an awesome logo.

Carolina-Panthers-Logo.gif

Anyway, great show as always! Also, I would love to see "cheap thrills" come back.

Don't worry Wombat Tebow will screw up somehow with the Jets. Cheap nice reference of Equilibrium, and Wombat you need to see that movie

[quote name='Dark Rider']Wombat, you need to become a Carolina Panthers fan. The team was completely re-built last year and is in a place to make a play off run this year. A great coach, a quarterback with a lot of talent behind him, and after the draft, hopefully a beastly defense. Just wait, Panthers have a prime opportunity this year with the self-destruction of the Saints.
Plus, we have an awesome logo.

Carolina-Panthers-Logo.gif

Anyway, great show as always! Also, I would love to see "cheap thrills" come back.[/QUOTE]

You couldn't even post the new logo out of embarrassment. And calling Ron 'I'll give the Saints 3 free points' Rivera a great coach? For shame.

Wombat, you need to become a fan of the 18-time Off-Season Champions of the World Washington Redskins! Not only will your relationship be a long distance one since you live in New York (only having to go through heartbreak twice a year at most because they play the Giants), but we'll have a rookie QB incoming as well as a surprising hate for all things NFL Management related.

Reading all these arguments regarding Mass Effect as someone that hasn't played any of the games is surreal. I recently picked up the second game and have been looking for the first; however, given the nature of these discussions regarding DLC and the order in which to play them, I'm considering just not starting the games at all. In order to get the full experience, I not only have to buy DLC but play them in the right order and at the right time. I'm sure it's a worthwhile experience for those that have already played, but for an outsider like me, it sounds too strenuous.

Good to hear Shipwreck's thoughts on Kid Icarus: Uprising, though his brief description didn't really convince me one way or another about it. Is there going to be a full review by chance? I'm torn on the whole control issue. I'm not left-handed but I keep hearing that the on-foot levels are atrocious. Just hearing that you have to "spin the stylus like a globe" makes me scratch my head in confusion... and I have a globe.

Oh, and greatest show title ever.

The Lions are coming into there own. Especially after locking up Calvin Johnson and Stafford looking like a real QB. Join the band wagon now...that new wildcat should be interesting this year....NOT!

Also when Cheapy is talking to Tai, get your football talk in. Great show.

Also prediction all next gen console are going to be download only...say goodbye disk. You mine as well hop on the PC band wagon as well, lots of free-to-play games and already we don't need disk. Then maybe console won't hold the PC gamers back with there dismal graphics.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Reading all these arguments regarding Mass Effect as someone that hasn't played any of the games is surreal. I recently picked up the second game and have been looking for the first; however, given the nature of these discussions regarding DLC and the order in which to play them, I'm considering just not starting the games at all. In order to get the full experience, I not only have to buy DLC but play them in the right order and at the right time. I'm sure it's a worthwhile experience for those that have already played, but for an outsider like me, it sounds too strenuous.

Good to hear Shipwreck's thoughts on Kid Icarus: Uprising, though his brief description didn't really convince me one way or another about it. Is there going to be a full review by chance? I'm torn on the whole control issue. I'm not left-handed but I keep hearing that the on-foot levels are atrocious. Just hearing that you have to "spin the stylus like a globe" makes me scratch my head in confusion... and I have a globe.

Oh, and greatest show title ever.[/QUOTE]

I played Kid Icarus at WonderCon. You essentially "flick" the screen with the stylus like you would a globe to make pit turn around and aim at something offscreen. I can see it taking some getting used to.

First from the previous episode a correction for Wombat: the extra character in the Signature Edition of Dragon Age II (Sebastian) was available as a seperate day 1 purchase for $7. This has always made me wonder where all the people were bitching about that, but I guess the difference of being included for preordering early, vs. being free for a CE makes that much difference? Also something to note about Sebastian: all of his quests and how he interacted with the rest of the group, was covered in the strat guide for DA 2 while Javik is completely absent from the ME 3 strat guide.

Also I can't wait for you guys to get done with the game so I can hear a podcaster's take on what I'll call for spoilers sake the S.I. theory about the ending.

Shadow Broker and Arrival have both been officially declared by Bioware to have happened regardless if you played them or not. If you don't play Zaeed, Kasumi, Firewalker, or Overload, those events never happen and they are not in ME 3 (the shuttle pilot and Freddie Prince Jr. have an argument in the shuttle bay at one point on Mako vs. Hammerhead and the shuttle pilot tells you the fate of the Hammerhead, while you run into the 2 main characters of Overload in distress call mission side quests, and Kasumi/Zaeed are in Citadel side quests and can be recruited as war assets.)

Good show, as usual, though I need to comment on Cheapy/his friends' views on Goichi Suda.

Suda is the CEO of Grasshopper. The fact that he conceptualizes many of the companies' games AND runs the company is a bit of a miracle. It takes a lot to come up with a game concept that works, but to do so while running the company must be insanely hectic.

He probably comes across as short-tempered or hard to work with because, well, he's the boss. He has to worry about the company as a whole, so of course he's going to make sure the games turn out as perfectly as they possibly can. The same things have been said about Shiguru Miyamoto, yet nobody calls him out on it, unless it's Satoru Iwata commenting on how Miyamoto is a perfectionist.

Cheapy's been bad-talking Grasshopper a few too many times now, and at first I could forgive it for being a matter of opinion, but now it's like he's trying to turn it into a running joke. It is, of course, all still a matter of opinion, but at least understand where those involved in your stories are coming from when you talk about them. Suda works hard for the successes Grasshopper has made, and he deserves better than this bashing you've started (especially considering, as far as you've mentioned in the podcasts, you don't play Grasshopper games, so really, you aren't one to judge them or the company anyways).

Grasshopper, as a company, and Suda, as a director/producer, will remain my favorites in the industry no matter what anybody says. When it comes to running the company and trying to get products made right, I would expect no less than being, at the very least, a bit tough in development.

About the Giant Bomb stuff:
In the last jar video, Jeff Gerstmann was saying at first they didn't want to take any money, gifts, trips, etc. from game companies so people wouldn't accuse them of being biased or influenced by those companies when it came to coverage or reviews of games on Giant Bomb. When they realized people were still coming up with insane conspiracy theories and accusing them of being paid by game companies to write certain things they said, "fuck it" and just decided to accept whatever the game companies gave them. Maybe that has to do with ads sometimes showing up or not showing up on the site. Also, I think they must have been doing at least somewhat well if CBSi decided to buy them up.

[quote name='Wombat']Yes, then you are right, that is the canon. Still how she took over it is a large plot point, that I can see being confusing for someone who hasn't played the DLC. Which was more of the point I was trying to make.

I was also confused as you guys made it sound as though you still had the old Shadow Broker in your ME3 game.[/QUOTE]

Personally I would think it would be nice when importing your character if something was DLC in previous games there would be some sort of summary if it involves a plot point in other games. I am a sucker and bought all DLC for 1 and 2 but can see how confusing and wonder what the hell a shadow broker was in 3 if you never played the DLC. They will never do it because from their view point they are probably still trying to make some money from it.

[quote name='Axersia']For the record, the language spoken in Sine Mora (which itself is Latin for "Without Delay") is Hungarian and not Japanese or gibberish. Seriously, what is it with you Americans and your inability to distinguish languages?[/QUOTE]
Another reason to be interested in it. But 360 only at least at the moment booo.

[quote name='super_ultra']About the Giant Bomb stuff:
In the last jar video, Jeff Gerstmann was saying at first they didn't want to take any money, gifts, trips, etc. from game companies so people wouldn't accuse them of being biased or influenced by those companies when it came to coverage or reviews of games on Giant Bomb. When they realized people were still coming up with insane conspiracy theories and accusing them of being paid by game companies to write certain things they said, "fuck it" and just decided to accept whatever the game companies gave them. Maybe that has to do with ads sometimes showing up or not showing up on the site. Also, I think they must have been doing at least somewhat well if CBSi decided to buy them up.[/QUOTE]

I think the huge drop in Gamespot's popularity post-Gertsmann Gate, plus IGN swallowing up 1UP and Gamespy, plus Vox Media gutting Joystiq's staff and creating a new site with lots of funding behind it, made CBSi realize they had to step up and Giant Bomb was the biggest acquisition that could be made.

I'm gonna start needing to do ecstasy and wearing more neon with the current run of 90's electronica intros Cheapy's been on.

I am just starting the episode, so I can only imagine that the continued Mass Effect 3 ending controversy is touched on. I have yet to buy it (like a true CAG, waiting for a nice sale), but all these complaints make it really hard to be excited for the game. It's times like these that I wish I didn't have any contact with the outside world, so that I could just form my own opinion on the ending (whenever I get to playing it). Not that I won't enjoy it simply because of what others are saying, but it does dampen the spirits. For some reason the ending of KOTOR 2 keeps randomly popping up in discussions of ME3's ending, usually being compared with how disappointing it was and parallels there (though maybe they are getting confused and thinking they were both made by Bioware?). Except I loved and still have fond memories of the ending of KOTOR 2, so I guess I should just stop worrying and finish the Mass Effect trilogy (once I can afford it, of course).

There is a theory out there basically saying the ending isn't what it seems to the naked eye, and the journey is so awesome if you're a fan I say go ahead and get the game when you can. I'm sure GS is going to flood with copies soon at $48/$43.20 used and Microsoft's store had it at $40 earlier this week, and I'm sure someone with have it on sale for $40 sometime in the next 2 months.

I just wanted to say in a spoiler free way, that in ME3 the academy mission was sort of a big deal for me. Maybe it is because of who I romanced in ME2 but that mission had a big impact on my game while for you guys it was sort of a throw away mission.

Oh and Wombat, get behind a real football team, The Steelers. I am from Pittsburgh but we welcome all outsiders to the winning team. No need for a sales pitch, other than the 6 rings which bling for themselves.

[quote name='Wombat']If you think the Shadow Broker is a "He", we have two different canons. Also Tebow has done ads for Focus on the Family, who are anti-choice & anti-gay marriage.[/QUOTE]

Please find one Anti-Gay Tim Tebow quote. Just one. Thanks.

[quote name='iwannadie']I just wanted to say in a spoiler free way, that in ME3 the academy mission was sort of a big deal for me. Maybe it is because of who I romanced in ME2 but that mission had a big impact on my game while for you guys it was sort of a throw away mission.[/QUOTE]

Like w/Shipwreck, it was a big deal for me b/c I've read the first 3 ME books and the academy director is a huge recurring character in those.

Thanks, bickle, for posting show notes.

I enjoyed the show, as usual. Having completely screwed up my back (and having had 2 surgeries), I'm sympathetic for Cheapy's pain. Hopefully it'll get better...but might want to see a doc or otherwise maybe start a gentle strengthening and stretching program. Or massage....

Never having played BioShock or ME, I guess it's hard for me to get worked up on the major drama in this thread so far. It's interesting, from a purely psychological standpoint, to watch it unfold though.

You guys are so mainstream. :/ Anything that isn't freaking Mass Effect or God damn Forza is just swept over. Thank God for Shipwreck, and he's not that far ahead of the rest of you. You guys are entertaining, (the only reason I still listen) but you should really consider catering to a wider audience.

Then again, Call of Duty is the best selling thing ever, and most people are drones, so in all honesty you're probably doing just fine.

/rant.

[quote name='Ravenhood']Good show, as usual, though I need to comment on Cheapy/his friends' views on Goichi Suda.

Suda is the CEO of Grasshopper. The fact that he conceptualizes many of the companies' games AND runs the company is a bit of a miracle. It takes a lot to come up with a game concept that works, but to do so while running the company must be insanely hectic.

He probably comes across as short-tempered or hard to work with because, well, he's the boss. He has to worry about the company as a whole, so of course he's going to make sure the games turn out as perfectly as they possibly can. The same things have been said about Shiguru Miyamoto, yet nobody calls him out on it, unless it's Satoru Iwata commenting on how Miyamoto is a perfectionist.

Cheapy's been bad-talking Grasshopper a few too many times now, and at first I could forgive it for being a matter of opinion, but now it's like he's trying to turn it into a running joke. It is, of course, all still a matter of opinion, but at least understand where those involved in your stories are coming from when you talk about them. Suda works hard for the successes Grasshopper has made, and he deserves better than this bashing you've started (especially considering, as far as you've mentioned in the podcasts, you don't play Grasshopper games, so really, you aren't one to judge them or the company anyways).

Grasshopper, as a company, and Suda, as a director/producer, will remain my favorites in the industry no matter what anybody says. When it comes to running the company and trying to get products made right, I would expect no less than being, at the very least, a bit tough in development.[/QUOTE]

I was a little surprised by Cheapy's comments, too. I don't know whether his portrayal of Suda is accurate, but it was worse than the hearsay Wombat said about Tim Schafer. Too bad no one else called him out on it.

[quote name='Zaku77']You guys are so mainstream. :/ Anything that isn't freaking Mass Effect or God damn Forza is just swept over. Thank God for Shipwreck, and he's not that far ahead of the rest of you. You guys are entertaining, (the only reason I still listen) but you should really consider catering to a wider audience.

Then again, Call of Duty is the best selling thing ever, and most people are drones, so in all honesty you're probably doing just fine.

/rant.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has played Flower, it's time for you to move on also and start playing real games again. Besides, you're using such the mainstream trendy method possible to post your little rant. If you were really indie you'd have wrote your rant on a used post-it and stuck it to the back of a school teacher on her day off so that people could read it on the bus as she went grocery shopping before church, that would be anti-mainstream hipster cool. Shipwreck is about as mainstream as you can get, only he plays Everything in front of him and that doesn't make him a hipster hero, he plays skylanders....

[quote name='nateeasy29']Please find one Anti-Gay Tim Tebow quote. Just one. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

He appeared in an ad for FOTF, those actions are enough. Their views are his views. When/ If he says otherwise I will happily apologize to him.

I am totally sick of these defending Tebow comments. Wombat is right, unless Tebow says he's not anti-gay or anti-choice, he will be judged by his actions. He chose to appear in an advertisement for a reactionary Christian group, and because of that it basically makes him a spokesperson for the organization, including their views.

[quote name='Zaku77']You guys are so mainstream. :/[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with Battlefield 3 and Final Fantasy in his currently playing list. :D

[quote name='Axersia']For the record, the language spoken in Sine Mora (which itself is Latin for "Without Delay") is Hungarian and not Japanese or gibberish. Seriously, what is it with you Americans and your inability to distinguish languages?[/QUOTE]
I've read and heard this complaint thousands of times. Please consider that North America is about 2.5x the size of Europe with only 3 major languages (English, Spanish, French). We aren't great with other languages largely because of geography. One can go thousands of miles where everyone speaks the same language on this continent. In Europe, the language will change many times in a half the distance.

I finally finished ME3 today and I am really looking forward to the CAGCast's opinions. The ending was incredibly disappointing in my opinion and the internet hate in regards to it is surprisingly justified.

The ending is spoiled by numerous gaping plotholes and the absence of a payoff for your character's choices made across all three games.

I believe people cared about Mass Effect because of its well fleshed-out fiction and emphasis on player choice. Both are betrayed in the last 20 minutes and it makes me sad.

[quote name='Wombat']He appeared in an ad for FOTF, those actions are enough. Their views are his views. When/ If he says otherwise I will happily apologize to him.[/QUOTE]

Changing teams because of 1 person is crazy. If you don't like what he's saying give him no attention and ignore him like any other crappy commercial.

Wombat did an ad for Go Daddy. Go Daddy CEO kills elephants and leopards in Africa. Wombat supports that........... ( you can see where that's going, I know you don't)

Wombat believes for some reasons that words and beliefs are more powerful than actual actions. Idiotic speech and beliefs can be ignored and belittled.
There are retarded self-righteous christian fundamentalists on my school campus, I ignore their idiocy and go on about my day.

I find the actions of other Jets who were accused of and committed crimes (and sometimes got away with it because of who they are) more despicable and worthy of hate. Here's a quick list.

Domestic Violence
Assault
Sexual Assault
Aggravated Molestation
Statutory Rape
Felony Assault

I'm with Dark Rider, the Panthers bandwagon still has some good seats available for this year.

I was disappointed to hear Cheapy watches Jersey Shore, took some points off your board.

Overall, loved the podcast as usually, keep up the great work!

[quote name='bickle']Says the guy with Battlefield 3 and Final Fantasy in his currently playing list. :D[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but the two or three (outdated might I add) things in that, don't really speak for my 700+ games... Still, a funny bit of irony.

As for Wombat, aren't you a Jew? Why are you having some big issue with someone speaking out against homosexuality due to their religion? I'm not sure if you've read Leviticus anytime recently, but Jews aren't really okay with it either. Do you just pick and choose what parts of your religion to follow?

R.A.D ( robot alchemaic drive) is the shit hands down when it comes to giant robot games. thats a game they should have done a sequel or remake to and then added in move controls game would have sold like crazy. ive still got a complete copy of it myself might pick up a cheap ps2 at some point so i can play it again. hell it might make for a good vita game too.

bread's done
Back