CAGcast #296: Mark, The Ninja

You guys need to play Double Dragon Neon immediately, loving the game so far.

Also if you have a Walking Dead Episode 3 for ps3 up for grabs that would rock :D

Excellent show guys. Interesting note, I had never heard of Audioboo before, so thanks for introducing me to that. I went back and listened to most of Cheapy's old boos. The Komachi Krazies boos were funny. Great review of Papo & Yo too, I think I'm going to have to check that out. I had no idea that's what it was about.

[quote name='Thevoiceinyourhead']Cheapy I agree with you on Bane's voice, it seemed very odd.[/QUOTE]

I also agree, but its an improvement over Wombat's normal voice. Actually, Wombat does a badass job of doing the voice!

I really enjoyed the Cagcast this week. I think all of you do a great job and I appreciate everything that you do for the site. Having two kids of my own, it's always fun listening to your stories.

I played episodes 1 & 2 of The Walking Dead. I loved them both. I would love to win a copy of episode 3 for XBLA.

Cheapy, you should check out The Walking Dead comics. You can get them for your iPad.

I watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi last week. I highly recommend it.

I hope there is a NHL season this year. Maybe the Flyers will play with some "jam" out there this year?

[quote name='Wombat']We started doing the bets a year ago, when we did I talked about Fantasy Focus and that it was their idea. I wasn't trying to do anything shady, more of an homage to a show I enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Being in a league with Wombat, I think it's safe to say he just downloads but doesn't listen to the fantasy focus podcast.

One this week's show the Thrifty Guys at Cheapassgamer.com discuss $800 sushi dinners, hired help (House Cleaners), and 3 week vacations to Vancouver.

And shipwreck bashing the vita for the 20th episode in a row

:)

[quote name='skadave']One this week's show the Thrifty Guys at Cheapassgamer.com discuss $800 sushi dinners, hired help (House Cleaners), and 3 week vacations to Vancouver.

And shipwreck bashing the vita for the 20th episode in a row

:)[/QUOTE]

I also said I enjoyed playing Plants Vs. Zombies Pinball on the Vita.

If there's an application that says how many Twitter followers are fake ... maybe there's an application that tells you how many of your podcast listeners actually listen to your podcast (instead of believing you said something so they can argue with you).

[quote name='Wombat']A. Batman is always human, it's his ability to overcome that makes him great.

B. That isn't character development, it is a plot device and a lousy one at that.

C. The Dent Act stopped Organized Crime, but not all crime. It should not be above Batman to stop muggers and rapists

D. I don't have the codes.[/QUOTE]

A. He does, eventually.
B. I feel like you just wanted them to recycle something from the comics verbatim, and that's worse than bad, it's boring.
C. What an awesome Batman movie that could have been, Batman fighting muggers and rapists.
D. Give me a cookie.

This is specifically for Cheapy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rdIWKytq_q4

If he doesn't read this comment, Wombat or Shipwreck please put this on the outline to share with him :)

Seriously though, if Nintendo, MS, or Sony came out with a new console every year that was pretty much the exact same as the last one but very slightly better in a few ways and charged $600 for it, you would crucify them. Somehow it's ok when Apple does it, though.

Watched Melancolia on Cheapy's recommendation. I didnt find it depressing as much as confusing (how come Kirsten Dunst speaks without an accent but her sister has an english accent?)

If you want depressing, watch the director's cut of Butterfly Effect. That ending was one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in a movie.

Shipwreck,

Your beef with Batman is bogus. Quaid didn't have powers (other than super stretchy nostrils) in Total Recall, but you watched that. To me Superman sucks because he has too many powers and only 1 weakness.

Also, good job on the voice Wombat and can I please have a code.

I totally agree with Cheapy on Bane's voice. Through the whole movie, I just kept hearing him say things like "Smucker's Raspberry Jam." He sounds like he should be doing the voiceover for a Werther's commercial. So of course Wombat's impression was dead on. :p

There needs to be a video of shipwreck playing NBA Baller, somewhere.

I'll agree there should of been some type of talking companion throughout the game that he can interact with, hell the raven is there it should at least talk back.

Great CAGcast guys!

@Wombat your Bane impression got me rolling, you should 1/2 of the next show with that voice.

@Cheapy I'm surprised you didn't want to wait till after the apple conference to make this show, don't worry since there are reports that about 1/2 of Americans were disappointed with the news of the Iphone 5

@Shipwreck you making NBA Baller Beats sound like so much fun, if i wasn't afraid of having the ball slip out of my hand and break my TV, I would of picked it up by now~

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Being in a league with Wombat, I think it's safe to say he just downloads but doesn't listen to the fantasy focus podcast.[/QUOTE]
Occasionally listens sounds about right. I do like the concept of making bets and bold predictions but Wombat using the same phrases seems wrong, a bit weasely even.

Besides the obligatory, "I would love a code", and I would. My favorite part was this:
[talking about Nintendo event]
Wombat: They didn't invite me.
Shipwreak: What!?
Wombat:They didn't invite me, I didn't get an invitation.
Shipwreak: You're the guy that's maybe gonna buy a 3DS and they didn't invite you?
Wombat: I know right, don't they know who I am?
CheapyD: ...yeah

As a sidenote, CheapyD, I got a email on my birthday from CAG on Sept. 8th (a day before yours it would seem) I forgot about that feature. It's actual a pretty nifty feature. Who thought that up, Super programer John? The best part is that it is just a simple text message, no crappy graphic of a birthday cake or balloons, etc... A nice simple, shoutout from CAG. Anyways, thanks.

I just got done watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi and I'm not sure what I think.
It is an interesting movie, and the guy has definitely fine tuned his craft, but I am unsure if he's a chef or just another overachieving self centered asshole in life. He seems to care about nothing more in his life but his WORK.

Would I eat there?
YES, but who wouldn't want to eat at such a re-known restaurant? It stinks of snobbery. Of "Look what I have done!"
It is still a very cool birthday gift from Mrs. Cheapy and I would remember it for the rest of my life. I don't blame you for bragging about the experience. I would have done the same.
But was it ART or a MEAL?
I was back and forth on this documentary.
At one point, this guy was the coolest badass M'fucker and I wanted to go work for him and become an apprentice.
Then, that dissolved into some sort of elite stinkshit lifestyle that the everyday guy like me will never experience.
I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm sure his food is delicious. Don't get me wrong.
Its obvious he's not serving a meal. He's displaying his ART.
BUT.
Its food. a meal. Something you'll experience a thousand times.
I can't get excited about that. No matter how good it tastes.
I would not devote my life to that. Its fucked up. Its a meal.
Its food. Not art.
... Maybe its Art. I'm confused.

Either way, I'm too poor to understand.

It's been too long. Wombat isn't as annoying as he usually is, not sure why, and I think a few of his (many) complaints were actually valid.

I watched the pilot for The Walking Dead show and it wasn't compelling enough to continue. The game however is absolutely brilliant, my friend has it and we played through the first episodes, can't remember the last time I had such an intense experience while playing a game. I'll gladly take my chances on a code.

Edit: I thought the ninja game they were talking about was about a Russian ninja named Markov.

Show Notes

5:15 PAX
9:00 Dark Knight Returns
15:15 Sushi
21:15 Moonrise Kingdom
24:15 Hunger Games
26:15 New Releases
26:15 NBA Baller Beats & buying Twitter followers
37:00 Double Dragon Neon
37:30 Tekken Tag 2
38:45 Joe Danger 2
41:00 NHL 2013
45:45 Anomaly Warzone Earth, Jet Set Radio HD, Red Johnson
47:00 Contests
51:00 NPD's
51:30 Darksiders II
58:45 Transformers Fall of Cybertron 7
1:01:45 Rock Band Blitz
1:05:30 Plants vs Zombies Pinball
1:08:00 Steam big screen mode
1:10:30 Terraria
1:12:30 Mark of the Ninja
1:20:15 Legasista
1:22:00 WiiU announcement scheduled & predictions
1:24:00 Apple stuff
1:29:30 Cagbag
1:31:00 Playstation All-Stars
1:33:00 CBS Boycott, Wombat's amnesia
1:34:30 Wombat & Japan
1:34:45 Last book read
1:40:00 TwitchTV

It's kind of funny you guys keep hyping up the 3DS. I haven't found much in the way of games since Mario 3D Land and Resident Evil Revelations. NSMB 2 looks like more of the same. I thought it was kind of funny how you were also happy about a Sony Certified tablet since the Vita will also be getting those games (PS Mobile) available for download. It was announced at Gamescom: http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...ized-games-android-playstation-certified-vita. So it will have those $2 games. I'd rather play a vita than a tablet with a controller tacked on to it. As for those almost as good as PS3 but not quite games; so far they are pretty great. If you are playing in your house maybe not, but on the go...I'm not complaining.

Good show though liked the added PAX bonus.

Enter me in for a code please. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show as always!

Shipwreck you should definitely watch the Nolan Batman movies. They are beyond good superhero movies, they are just great movies.

Also, I love to be entered in the Walking Dead contest!

Great show as always, enjoyed the Dark Knight talk and generally reflects my thoughts too. I'd also loved to be considered for the Walking Dead code too.

Hey guys, the last 10-15 minutes of the cagcast were hilarious. I want to hear more about Shipwreck's views on women. Also, did I hear it correctly when he said that 1Q84 was written by a woman?

Entertaining show as usual. I thoroughly enjoyed Wombane's guest appearance and I think he should make regular appearences on the show from now on :)

Also, I'm interested in the Walking Dead contest!

[quote name='subw00ter']Hey guys, the last 10-15 minutes of the cagcast were hilarious. I want to hear more about Shipwreck's views on women. Also, did I hear it correctly when he said that 1Q84 was written by a woman?[/QUOTE]

Whoops, I guess the dude who wrote 1Q84 was a dude. I get confused easily when the audiobook reader is a different gender than the author.

I almost gave up with the audio glitches in the 'live' portion, but glad I did not.

Maybe the Transformers game will be easier to justify if you pretend you're playing in the first part of the first episode in Gen 1?

And I wouldn't mind an XBLA code for Walking Dead.

[quote name='4nik8tor']I just got done watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi and I'm not sure what I think.
It is an interesting movie, and the guy has definitely fine tuned his craft, but I am unsure if he's a chef or just another overachieving self centered asshole in life. He seems to care about nothing more in his life but his WORK.

Would I eat there?
YES, but who wouldn't want to eat at such a re-known restaurant? It stinks of snobbery. Of "Look what I have done!"
It is still a very cool birthday gift from Mrs. Cheapy and I would remember it for the rest of my life. I don't blame you for bragging about the experience. I would have done the same.
But was it ART or a MEAL?
I was back and forth on this documentary.
At one point, this guy was the coolest badass M'fucker and I wanted to go work for him and become an apprentice.
Then, that dissolved into some sort of elite stinkshit lifestyle that the everyday guy like me will never experience.
I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm sure his food is delicious. Don't get me wrong.
Its obvious he's not serving a meal. He's displaying his ART.
BUT.
Its food. a meal. Something you'll experience a thousand times.
I can't get excited about that. No matter how good it tastes.
I would not devote my life to that. Its fucked up. Its a meal.
Its food. Not art.
... Maybe its Art. I'm confused.

Either way, I'm too poor to understand.[/QUOTE]

I felt almost the same way when (I think it was Cheapy) recommended The Invention of Dr. Nakamats.

He brags about having over 3,000 patents, but then as you watch the movie you realize that 90% of them are impractical quirky junk that only he would ever use. Because he is over the top eccentric. I feel sorry for his family, like the scene where he refused his birthday gift and told them to exit the room and try to give it to him again.

He isn't just eccentric, but delusional. Says he will live to 300. Talks to his dead moms ashes (which he hangs in his living room overhead), but says she never died.

As for super hero movies, Shipwreck should hold his head in shame. He has time to see a reremake of Spiderman instead of The Dark Knight? Talking about the 2nd one, awesome movie. And none of that ONE HOUR+ origin story crap that we've seen countless times. I can't understand why anyone wanted to see Spiderman (again, it's just another origin story).

I would love an XBLA Walking Dead code
I've been playing NBA Baller Beats. The Kinect tracking works great. You can't trick it. A crossover dribble is not a crossover between the legs dribble. Sometimes you have to dribble between your legs from the front and sometimes from the back. It knows.

Edit: Just got this tweet from the developer: "Leaderboards should be part of the next content update - definitely was in the plans"

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't listened yet, will do that with yardwork tomorrow.

Not podcast related, but Cheapy (or anybody who knows Japanese) it isn't that easy by the pictures. Which is the flush button? I suspect it's pink or salmon.

$400 SUSHI???? Almost 1G for dinner for two? Holy Shaq! Did you leave a tip? I like my sushi with everything on it and a lot cheaper :)

[quote name='Kazaganthi']As for super hero movies, Shipwreck should hold his head in shame. He has time to see a reremake of Spiderman instead of The Dark Knight? Talking about the 2nd one, awesome movie. And none of that ONE HOUR+ origin story crap that we've seen countless times. I can't understand why anyone wanted to see Spiderman (again, it's just another origin story).[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of Jeff Gerstmann who loved Inception, loved Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, but would rather watch Torque than see any of the Nolan Batman movies.

I'll take a code for 360, though either system is fine.

Cheapy....why didn't you just order NHL13 on PS3? All PS3 games are region free!

[quote name='Kazaganthi']I felt almost the same way when (I think it was Cheapy) recommended The Invention of Dr. Nakamats.

He brags about having over 3,000 patents, but then as you watch the movie you realize that 90% of them are impractical quirky junk that only he would ever use. Because he is over the top eccentric. I feel sorry for his family, like the scene where he refused his birthday gift and told them to exit the room and try to give it to him again.

He isn't just eccentric, but delusional. Says he will live to 300. Talks to his dead moms ashes (which he hangs in his living room overhead), but says she never died.

As for super hero movies, Shipwreck should hold his head in shame. He has time to see a reremake of Spiderman instead of The Dark Knight? Talking about the 2nd one, awesome movie. And none of that ONE HOUR+ origin story crap that we've seen countless times. I can't understand why anyone wanted to see Spiderman (again, it's just another origin story).[/QUOTE]

I might have to watch that one.
The Jiro one is good, its just that I'm not sure if he runs a resturant or an art gallery.

Will the real Lex Luthor please stand up! Yeah, $400 a person....WOW! I trained in Japan a couple of times in the late '80's while working for the Hillsboro, OR location of Fujitsu (no longer there). We flew into Tokyo and then took the train to....does Cheapy know his Japanese business locations? We took the train to Nagano where Fujitsu was (is still?) located. Thru the course of our training we would meet some of the restaurant owners and our hosts would set up a special dinner night. We would all pay a set price (usually a fair deal but by no means any big discount) and get an extremely nice Japanese dinner made for us. But, at no time thank goodness did it cost $400!!!! We did that a fee times as our Japanese hosts showed us that they loved to eat, drink, sing and just all around have a great time. I still have a special Nagano Olympic pin. This was a limited pin given out as they were either still in the middle of the bidding/campaigning to get the Olympics there or had just won it ( can't quite remember). Sorry that was so long winded (and for some boring). But, I wanted to share and it brings back great memories. I would love to go back before my time is up. And, on a side note, played the Mark of the Ninja demo. It never ceases to amaze me how creative people are. At first you think 2D side scroller....ho freaking hum. But, it was very fun and they added collectible elements to the game, gadgets and a nice mix of stealth and attack. Hope I posted in time to have a chance to win! See Ya' guys! PS. Will Shipwreck be coaching basketball again this winter? Do you have higher coaching aspirations? Even if just upper high school?

I'm a podcaster myself and I am wondering how you guys are able to get away with doing a 2 hour long podcast? Most people do not have the attention span to sit at their computer and do a two hour show.

I have an issue with this week's Wombat math. When Wombat was complaining about the lack of variety in Darksiders II, he claimed that there were "lots of different permutations" when I believe he meant to say there were "lots of different combinations". Permutations take into account order, while combinations do not. So in this case, Wombat was implying that there was a significance to the order the items were equipped in, which I don't think is correct.

Also on a tangent, I'm very happy that Telltale's The Walking Dead is being well received. I've enjoyed their games for a long time now and I'm ecstatic for their success.

This whole Wii U makes me nervous. I feel like it's is trying to compete with an older market. What's the value of a sooner-than-later game lineup having of ports of games that are months old? I can see waiting for Wii U sale numbers to see if a port is worth it. What I am really trying to say is "What, no bad ass version of Zelda up front? Instead I get to play Call of Duty or Mass Effect 3... again?"

I know those are great games, but not something I would start with. Am I missing something?

Awesome pic!

Saw one copy of baller beats at my target as well, lol I checked the ball when I did and yup it was aired up, so I thought it was funny when Shipwreck confirmed air in the ball!

The way ya'll raved about mark the ninja, I now have to check it out.

And I know I'm late, but my wife watches along as I play walking dead too on ps3 and haven't picked up episode 3 yet, she's been asking about it, any codes (if on ps3) left?

[quote name='shajek']I'm in the extreme minority that believes that TDKR gets worse the more it is looked at. I walked out of the theater extremely disappointed and my dislike of the movie only grows.[/QUOTE]

Well, that makes two of us :D Three if you count the guy that writes Film Crit Hulk. The Dark Knight was just such an awesome movie, and it seemed like Nolan just checked out on Rises and cashed his check. The sound mix is probably the worst I've ever heard in a non-amateur film. I can't remember any other film where I couldn't hear some dialogue because it was getting drowned out by the score.

I tried the demo of Mark of the Ninja. I liked it, but wasn't really blown away. Is it a good representation of the game? Or does it get more intriguing later on?

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a 360 Walking Dead code.

I have a suggestion for future CAGcasts. This goes back a couple recent episodes where Cheapy was misunderstood, making comments about the iPhone. You should have a segment with the CAG bag called "I said this, you heard that...bitches.". People dont hear what you say, they hear what they want to hear. Anyway...it was entertaining hearing you defend yourself from these boneheads. I'd love a code for walking dead on e Xbox. I haven't played any of them but I'm ready to pick them all up. I can't decide if I want the iOs version or the Xbox version.

ok guys, i believe wombat when he says he doesnt get skidmarks in his underpants. cheapy and shipwreck, you two need to learn how to wipe your assholes better. It's shocking to hear that both of you were surprised to hear wombat doesn't shit his pants. you two are grown men, there's no excuse to have stains in your underwear. you go wombat! with the clean ass!

bread's done
Back