CAGcast #317: Bo Knows Bows

Hey guys, don't worry about being to "old" to game. I am much older than Cheapy D and am as passionate about video games as I was when I was in my 20s.

[quote name='ILikePopCans']Jeff Gerstmann from GiantBomb said on his tumbler that the site would not survive if they did not do the paid subscriptions.

The owner of GiantBomb, before CBSI, sold GiantBomb and the other sites they made at the same time, to different companies too. I know he and the other dudes had complete control of who they were sold to.[/QUOTE]

Really? Wow, I didn't know that.

Also posting for GoW contest!

Loved the show. I am kinda happy Gears feels like a "different" type of game. I enjoyed Gears 3 but needed something to make it feel fresh again.

Never played Gears of War! before i am new to this type of game in sick and tired of playing good old call of duty! I wonder what it would to be like playing gears of war 1?

I'm curious what cheap would have done if he Mrs had to spend an extended time in the hospital, about tai
Also. To hear Shipwrecks take on the new gears as I just added an Xbox to the collection is was wondering if I could start there or should start from the beginning.

I don't want a Gears code, I just want to say how much I enjoy the CAGcast: I really enjoy it. I look forward to every episode. The three of you are great. I listen to a lot of podcasts but everything is put on hold for a new CAGcast. I've been listening and enjoying every episode since #1.

Also, the Tai thing made me think a little bit: would it be wise to train children to deal with being left alone in the home in an emergency? I think most 5+ year old children could deal with the thought of being left alone in an emergency. You would just need to train them that if they see this note then they need to stay in their bedroom for a little while. If nobody shows up after a certain time, call this phone number with this phone. It could work. Maybe I'll get the chance to try it some day.

And Tomb Raider is really great. I finished it on my PC with an AMD 7870 and the graphics are phenomenal. The gameplay was great as well. I found the bow to be the most fun quickly followed by the axe and pistol. The cover mechanic is great and it sure as hell better be ripped off by every other game from now on. I also liked that you knew a baddy was near by when Lara would draw her weapon and hunch down, rather than just spinning up some bit of music like most other games do.

Like the show, but maybe Wombat should play a game that's been released within the last twelve months. Is this comment sufficient enough to enter me in to the contest?

I have been using ABP for quite a few years now. When I see what the internet looks like without it, I find it really jarring.

When it comes to ads though, is there actually any difference for the site if I ignore the ads instead of blocking them? Even if I see an ad for something I want on a site that I like, I know I'm not going to click through that ad. I am more likely to just go to my usual shopping site directly to place the order. Often, I fill the cart and then come back to CAG to use the affiliate link so that CAG gets a touch of green. Why give all of the money to Amazon or NewEgg when I could give a cut to CAG? My loyalty is to CAG above all else.

Not going to pile on Cheapy, but I agree with this thread's levelheaded commenters. Glad it worked out and I hope Mrs. Cheapy is diagnosed and better before her next attack.

I'm about 2/3 through You Don't Know Bo. Thanks for the recommendation. No idea how I missed the Jackson craze as a kid. If you haven't watched it yet, the 30 for 30 on Steve Bartman and the furor surrounding the Cubs playoff loss in 2003 is really great.

Oh, and I've never played the original Gears so put me in for the contest.

Not having kids myself it's hard to say what I would have done in that situation but I imagine I would have just woken my son up and if need be had him miss school the next day. I'm actually shocked you even told the story knowing the kind of disdain it would elicit in the comments.

I thought Wombat and Shipwreck's digs for the rest of the episode were great though.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't mind the exclusive review as long as someone reviews a game before it's out. I'm getting tired of release-day embargoes for games. Every IGN review should be taken with a grain of salt anyway so having them give an exclusive review for something really doesn't hold a lot of weight in my decisions.

Cheapy you are goddamn stupid. You OBVIOUSLY must make your son watch BOTH Home Alone films if you were to ever leave him by himself. That ways he can fend for himself with junkfood, make use of any blow up dolls, befriend vagrants who will save him in the third act AND be able to make contraptions out of paint cans. That or just get him a real samurai sword.

I loved the 90's sports game discussion. Even the "watch this bitches" was about sports. I don't play many sports games, but it's way more interesting than ios or portable games. Where is the NCAA picks!?

I just got a 360, so I'd love gears!

Also, I just finished listening to the show. I have 2 kids (one almost 4, one 2 1/2) and I'm shocked that Cheapy left a 5 year old alone at night! I think Wombat is going to be correct that the issue is kidney stones (or my wife suggested Gall Stones... she's an expert since she just had her gall bladder removed!)

Keep up the good work guys.

[quote name='polly']Dear Tai,

Mama and Papa had to go away for a bit. We have totally not been kidnapped by mean bad guys or anything, so definitely don't worry about that. Just go back to sleep in your room where there are absolutely no monsters hiding in the closet.

Kisses,

Papa[/QUOTE]

LOL

PS - The gun is in the nightstand, but don't worry, you won't need it.

Great to see Shipwreck doing reviews again. I enjoy reading reviews from someone who is enthused about games, not just looking for page hits.

Also, I'd love that Gears code. I never played the first one.

A flipside to your discussion about possible ad buy early reviews is the Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. Review copies were not sent out, yet the game has been available to purchase (or redbox) for nearly two and a half days, is reportedly only 4-5 hours to complete, and yet reviews are still completely absent from most major gaming websites. I wonder if that would still be the case it if was released by some two-bit publisher and not a major advertising force like Activision.

Regarding the missing co-op play on Lego City Undercover - it's actually somewhat of a directive from Nintendo. They warn that having 2 or more gamepads in the same proximity could actually mess up their signals to the console. Pretty crazy to think about, and most likely the reason why they haven't been selling extra controllers and instead forcing us to use WiiMotes whenever couch co-op is involved.

I have no problem with ads. I have a problem with ads and anything else running scripts behind the scenes on a website I am browsing.

I don't use adblock. I use Ghostery that blocks anything that tracks my web activity. It just so happens that these ads are running scripts that track my activity so they are blocked. Currently, it shows me that 7 tracking scripts are running on CAG now (including social networks and google analytics).

Target your ads to the site. I still get ads served to me on reddit and other sites that aren't blocked because they aren't running scripts behind the scenes. Don't call me an asshole when your ads are blocked for invading my privacy, serve the ads in a non-invasive way and you will get your fucking money.

I block 360 dashboard ads because they hamper the experience. They delay the loading of the dash and cause stuttering when switching between the tabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough call for taking Tai or not. Not sure if I'd want to take my son and traumatize him with his mother being taken away in an ambulance or to keep him at home and traumatize him with being left alone. Looking at the end result of the evening, Cheapy was correct, but he just got a bit on the lucky side.

Personally, I'd have probably woken the child and we would have had a very long night.

As for adblock and websites, the internet is vast and to paraphrase "if you close down one site, two more will take its place." I'd have to do this when hunting down manga I would read online, for different reasons of course, but still the end result is you can find another site for your needs, you just have to put in some work to find a replacement, but they are there.

Tai made his parents disappear. I was actually mentioned on this week's podcast. Made my day, and my week. Possibly my month. March kinda sucks.

Why can't I find the new Tomb Raider in your search engine? They seem to all be older versions of the game. Are there no deals on this game?

[quote name='tomshelley']Why can't I find the new Tomb Raider in your search engine? They seem to all be older versions of the game. Are there no deals on this game?[/QUOTE]

Search for "Tomb Raider (2013)".

Very much agree with Wombat. The first people to complain about a website's demise are the ones who ad block. I wouldn't see anything wrong that if a site detects you're using an ad blocker that it redirects you to a page saying, "Sorry, that's how we stay in business."

I was just browsing Netflix and came upon that Bo Jackson documentary. I watched it and it was pretty good. I totally remember Bo Jackson, but I knew nothing about the guy. I remembered he got injured young, but didn't remember the hip replacement or comeback.

At first when I heard Cheapy say he left Tai, I was shocked like a lot of people. To play devils advocate, However I thought it strange that Mrs Cheapy wouldn't say, let's bring Tai. Just possible in Japan they have a different way of handling this situation, and I haven't been to Japan but I would imagine America is more dangerous in terms of crime so we never ever leave children alone here. Also doesn't Tai have a phone? Then he could call in case he woke up. I did laugh at Shipwrecks comment about taking his cats to the hospital.

Anyway I hate ads but I also no longer buy newspapers or magazines because everything is online. And yeah they slow things down but if the site is free, I won't care because that's beer money. Good show and like comments on Gears

Honestly I don't think Cheapy did much wrong by leaving Tai. Maybe it's because I'm not a dad yet, but like he said, what's the worst that could happen? He was only gone a few hours anyway. He knows how to use a phone, and the note was left for an explanation. Better to let the kid sleep.

Overall, a very memorable episode. I do have one question though: Does Shipwreck or anyone else on CAG have a list of movies that y'all have suggested on "Watch this Bitches"? I can't keep up with it all from week to week, and you guys have some good recommendations. I got my whole family into Searching for Sugar Man and they loved it.

EDIT: Wow, after reading more responses in this thread, I've noticed people are freaking the fuck out about Tai being left home alone for a few hours. It's not like they went on vacation or something. Wow. Just wow.

what works for me:
when you see the spinning circle, press the guide button. move over to "recent" and access your games and apps from there. this should solve all of wombat's problems considering all he mentions using it for is skyrim, pinball fx 2 and netflix. all 3 can be accessed from the guide. i hope this gets read on the cast because this seems to affect a large number.

Great episode guys. I love the discussion about ads and gaming sites. Every major gaming site has had layoffs over the last three years. I do use adblock, but I do disable it on certain sites because I want to support them. I wonder if some people think even though an Ad is block on the user side that the site still gets credit for it.

Cheapy was in a tough spot there. It is especially tough when you do not have a support system close by. My mother was a single mom, and I distinctly remember a time where she left a note because she had to run out. I am pretty sure I was older than five, but the idea is the same. I think in the day and age where there are 10 hours of local news everyday spewing every horror store imaginable on a constant loop the idea leaving your kids alone is the worst thing imaginable.

I mean kids a few years older than Tai come home everyday, and latch themselves in until their parents come home.

I grew up in Kansas City when Bo Jackson played for the Royals, and it was a fun time watching him play. I know what Shipwreck means when he talks about Bo having fans outside of KC; I have a cousin in ND who was collecting Bo Jackson trading cards. Come football season though, Bo was a traitor since he played for the Chiefs' #1 rival. Thanks for the recommendation Shipwreck; I look forward to see this documentary.

Great show this week. I especially liked the advirtising segment, as any discussions when two of the cast members disagree always makes for an interesting discussion. It's also a topic I was interested in and I knew wombat has a job in the field so it was interesting as I agreed with Shipwreck as an idealist, but I also agree with wombat as a realist because while I'd rather not have ads or subscriptions ever, I also realize people need to get paid to make content. After destructoids adblock message I had taken off adblock and I don't really miss it and I like knowing that the various webcomics and news sites I visit will get revenue to stay afloat. I don't think wombat was necessarily "right" in that subscriptions are the only future of the interenet and if you don't like it tough luck, we have yet to see how any of this will pan out. In any case great cagcast, I hope we can get interesting discussions like this in the future. :applause:

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Honestly I don't think Cheapy did much wrong by leaving Tai. Maybe it's because I'm not a dad yet, but like he said, what's the worst that could happen? He was only gone a few hours anyway. He knows how to use a phone, and the note was left for an explanation. Better to let the kid sleep.

EDIT: Wow, after reading more responses in this thread, I've noticed people are freaking the fuck out about Tai being left home alone for a few hours. It's not like they went on vacation or something. Wow. Just wow.[/QUOTE]

You will understand when/if you're a parent. The worst thing that could happen is death. Not likely, but the risk (chance of outcome happening times the severity of the problem, as we measure things in the software world) is too high. The chance is low, but the severity is enormous.

As Wombat said, they live in an apartment and a neighbor could easily have started a fire. Or an earthquake could happen (probably not kill Tai, but frighten him horribly). Or any number of other things.

In my opinion, all the comments in this thread are justified. I have two sons, btw: one is almost 6 and the other is 2.5.

Don't miss the 30 for 30 "The Birth of Big Air" about Mat Hoffman. Easily the best of the bunch (though the Bo Jackson one and "Broke" are a close second and third). If you had even the most fleeting of interest in BMX in the late 80s & early 90s, you'll be creaming in your pants. It's so well done it's ridiculous with a fantastic story to boot. Even the BMX laymen I've shown it too have been fascinated. Again, watch this bitches!

Entertaining show guys, while listening I had to check how long it was because it just seemed to keep going on! More longer episodes wouldnt hurt! As for cheapy leaving his child home alone for a few hours, its not the smartest course of action. However, to read here that its criminal and cheapy could go to jail is beyond ridicilous. Cheapy made a decision that in this case was best for all parties involved, and it all worked out fine. Cheapy obviously trusts his son very much.

As for the adblock discussion, I feel a bit conflicted. I to use a adblocker, but I whitelisted the sites I frequently visit, such as cag. More and more people are going to use adblock, so I think its wrong for wombat to blame the user for sites going out of business. Why are these people using adblock is the key to solving this puzzle. Make ads and run scripts that people are willing to put up with, instead of forcing people to disable their adblocker. The ads on cag are not intrusive and very simple, so I dont mind seeing them. The ads on destructoid however...

Ow, and I would not mind getting that code!

I love this podcast.

Nothing at all wrong with leaving the boy asleep. The only reason I even mention it is that I just glanced over the ridiculous posts from the moaning minnies earlier in this thread.

The reason I'm posting here is to take up the discussion on the show about adblockers and the threat to journalists.

The reason I always use adblockers is that on a site I was browsing there was a banner advert for one of the Scream movies. It started playing loud terrified screaming and also had some unpleasant graphics.

I upped all my security settings and installed noscript, ghostery, adblocker, etc.

No more surprises.

One problem with subscriptions is that the columnists I like the most are on different websites. Three of the main ones don't currently need subscriptions anyway: Bon Lefsetz, Theodore Dalrymple and John Dvorak. One of them, the War Nerd at nsfwcorp.com, does. That site just went to a subscription model and I have been considering whether I am prepared to pay $3 to read a few articles a month.

I do love reading that guy's columns, but there is just so much other great stuff out there I don't have to time to read.

I will probably pay the $3, but there are very few websites and writers that couldn't be easily replaced. Maybe I would only pay for him and for Dalrymple.

Thanks for doing the show.

https://twitter.com/linksfromtokyo

bread's done
Back