CAGcast #324: Still Breathing

I would never support a CAGcast Kickstarter.

But I would support a CAGexpo Kickstarter. Honestly, I think a lot of other people would as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't agree with Cheapy that Penny Arcade meets the Kickstarter guidelines. In the past they have turned down several podcast producers saying that a podcast does not meet their definition of a "product" and does not have a definite end (this included Leo Laporte who talked about it on a recent episode of TWIT).

There really is no question that what they are actually doing is asking for donations (which is also against Kickstarter rules) and that based on their prior experience thay have concluded that even paying a cut to Kickstarter they will make more money than by doing a direct appeal on their own web site.

PA obviously got really greedy after their last kickstarter and it's obvious that it's a cash grab. fucking assholes abusing their fans and the system.

Great show! Very good jokes about the Penny Arcade Kickstarter. Also, Wombat, the UnOp cast was hilarious! We appreciate you and ship doing the cagcast for free. You say its not alot of work, but it is 2 hours out of your Wednesday. Keep up the good work!

[quote name='donkeydrop']I don't agree with Cheapy that Penny Arcade meets the Kickstarter guidelines. In the past they have turned down several podcast producers saying that a podcast does not meet their definition of a "product" and does not have a definite end (this included Leo Laporte who talked about it on a recent episode of TWIT).
[/QUOTE]

The PA Kickstarter is for 20 episodes, 20-60 minutes each.

Wombat - I listened to the private dining experience story on the "other" podcast. Entertaining, amusing, and well told but I'll be damned if that shouldn't be the Urban Dictionary entry for the term "First World Problems". Your frustrations and anger were understandable however.

Late to the party.

I think Kickstarter is a disappointment. Crowdsource funding has so much potential, but Kickstarter is mostly people panhandling for entertainment endeavors or just stuff. Stuff can be nice. And I totally understand the importance of entertainment. People use it to recharge their batteries. No disputing that.

Looking over the most popular projects, right now, and nothing catches my attention. I would support a NASA kickstarter, since, ya know, the government doesn't care, and space exploration is neat and will become a necessity in the future. Or something like giving money to help someone with a terminal illness fulfill their last adventure. Things like this.

Could just be me, but I roll my eyes at Kickstarters for stuff like Zach Braff's film and the Veronica Mars film. And the Penny Arcade podcast panhandling is disgusting.

Just my two cents, tho.

Come on Cheapy.
'I'm sure they try to "exploit" everything for traffic. Why wouldn't you if you were paid per view?'
Are you saying all gaming articles have zero credibility than since all their doing is trying to "exploit" people? Money is not always FIRST in peoples minds; you seem to forget that quite often. Please don't make such blanket statements.

And keep up the good work.

The thing that seems more egregious than questionable Kickstarter subjects are these lowball goals that seem to just exploit the very spirit of the service where you set a reasonable goal to ensure you get the funding needed to actually complete the project. There was one indie developer that would've finished the game anyway, but set up a Kickstarter with a $1 goal to ensure that he'll get money for it anyway.

My experience with Kickstarter has been great so far as I've gotten the promised rewards for some of the projects and the others are progressing nicely with good updates every month or so to let me know what's up. You just have to know what projects you can reliably invest in and which would be best to wait on before you put down your money.

[quote name='ILikePopCans']Come on Cheapy.
Are you saying all gaming articles have zero credibility than since all their doing is trying to "exploit" people? Money is not always FIRST in peoples minds; you seem to forget that quite often. Please don't make such blanket statements.

And keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

ex·ploit

/ikˈsploit/
Verb
Make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource): "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology".

I really didn't mean it in a negative way! I didn't mention anything about exploiting people!

theanniversary.png

Based on the posts here, I found the Uninformed Opinions podcast page and will probably give ep 17 a listen:

http://uninformedopinions.libsyn.com

So Wombat's name is Stewart Nacht? And he claims to work in "sales"? With a name like that, I wonder how many confirmed kills he has and what his 00 agent number is.

If BatShip Consulting falls through, they could always switch to Goode Nacht (aka good night) Consulting.

Some show feedback for you guys. Don't allude to an interesting story and then not tell the story because Wombat already talked about it on his other podcast. I'm not in the least bit interested in his other podcast, but would have liked to hear what happened at dinner (especially since it was teased).

[quote name='KingWulfgar']Some show feedback for you guys. Don't allude to an interesting story and then not tell the story because Wombat already talked about it on his other podcast. I'm not in the least bit interested in his other podcast, but would have liked to hear what happened at dinner (especially since it was teased).[/QUOTE]
The other podcast is the story, there is maybe like 5 minutes in the beginning that is intro and expo then the rest is all wombat's story.
Just consider it free DLC for cagcast #324.

Ideally what Wombat should of done is given a short 1-3 minute summary of what happened and then said check out the other podcast for a more detailed breakdown of the debacle. Instead he spent a couple minutes mentioning how awful it was while not even taking 20-30 seconds of that time to list out at least one example.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ideally what Wombat should of done is given a short 1-3 minute summary of what happened and then said check out the other podcast for a more detailed breakdown of the debacle. Instead he spent a couple minutes mentioning how awful it was while not even taking 20-30 seconds of that time to list out at least one example.[/QUOTE]

It is a hard story to summarize. The entire unop podcast is me telling the story. I took me 32 minutes to tell it properly.

[quote name='Wombat']It is a hard story to summarize. The entire unop podcast is me telling the story. I took me 32 minutes to tell it properly.[/QUOTE]

The story was very interesting Wombat (and yeah, you did need all that time to explain all the intricacies). But I can't stand your co-host. Sorry, he just annoyed me ;).

I don't understand the guffawing (yes, guffawing) about the Penny Arcade kickstarter.

Honestly, it's not so different than a "name your own price" sale that Steam or individual developers occaisionally hold, where the product is sold for whatever the purchaser wants to pay.

Only this time, a select few are purchasing the product for the crowd to enjoy.

That is why kickstarter is used instead of buying the finished product through Steam or iTunes: so that the product can be crowdfunded while granting access to everyone, instead of only those who donate.

While there certainly is a debate as to whether Penny Arcade could or should provide this product for free, that argument unfortunately comes from an "entitlement" standpoint ("Penny Arcade makes so much money, therefore I should get something for free").

In the end, there's nothing to be upset about here, as Kickstarter is being used as it was intended to: crowdfunding a product into existence.

I get it, you guys hate PA. Why must you keep bringing them and their kickstarters up. I personally like their site and yours. Every time you bitch about them it like hanging out with a friend who hates your other friend and does nothing but complain about them.

I have a little bit of insight into at least how one of the in-game advertising companies operated (not sure if they're still in business).

This company provided a lightweight advertising engine to the developers that inserts the advertisements into the game and track metrics about the users viewing the advertisements (things like if the advertisement was only partially seen, if it was a viewed for more than 3 seconds, etc.). These metrics are reported to the advertisers via a web portal (statistics, bar graphs, etc.).

I believe the in-game ads in Rainbow Six: Vegas used this system.

I loved the show guys. It was great.

You guys mentioned that in order to play XBox Live Indie Games (aka Community Games) the user has to be online. I don't recall where I heard this, so I may be totally wrong, but I was under the impression that the requirement to be online in order to play Indie Games was in order to satisfy the ESRB (software ratings board) rules, not as DRM. I think Microsoft is encouraged or required to have every game rated by ESRB. However, none of the Indie games are reviewed or rated by the ESRB. To get around this restriction they require the user to be online in order to play any of these games and categorize the game as an "online game" where "Online content is not rated by ESRB". It's a loophole of sorts. At least that is how I understand it.

But the Pebble Watch works Inside AND Outside!!!
That was hilarious.

Regarding the kickstarter topic:
I have never paid for a podcast. However, because I love the CAGCast so much, I always try to contribute somehow. Usually it's donating to the CAG Child's Play drive during the holiday season. I figure it's something that you guys want listeners to do and it's for a good cause. However, the more controversial/questionable stuff I hear about PA, the more I wonder if the charity CAG associates with should be something other than Child's Play (due to its relationship with PA). If you guys asked for a few bucks to cover costs (pay for games to review, etc) , I would consider it, but I'm also happy that you don't.

Wohh exactly what I was searching for, thanks for posting . "Study men, not historians." by Harry S Truman.Rattling wonderful information can be found on blog.
kredyt bez bik przez internet Any time you heed words over actions you ignore reality and do so at your own perilYou have mentioned very interesting points ! ps decent site. "Recompense injury with justice, and recompense kindness with kindness." by Confucius.
chwilówka na dowód Recommeneded websites......Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors.........you may have a great weblog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?
chwilówki online I like this website very much so much wonderful information. "We cannot swing up on a rope that is attached only to our own belt." by William Ernest Hocking.This is certainly a good time to wind down along with relax! I are crazy about this time of season! Thank you for the uncomplicated read. I shall be undoubtedly back with regard to better.
kredyty chwilówki This is a topic that is close to my heart... Thank you! Where are your contact details though?These shoes are comfortable and easy to get used to. I noticed a decrease in how much my belly sticks out after just a day of wearing these while I shopped. So I am glad it helps me rather painlessly build my core strength. I am surprised at the width of the shoe. I wear a EE to EEEE width usually, but was able to fit comfortably into a medium width. I tried them on in a store before ordering them right here, just to be confident. They are a bit pricey, but in this case worth it.
chwilówki bez biku Hey There. I located your weblog making use of msn. This can be a really well written article. I will be certain to bookmark it and come back to read far more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.This is the proper blog for anybody who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its virtually exhausting to argue with you (not that I truly would want...HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!
kredyty bez bik dla zadłużonych It was a pleasure discovering your site this morning. I arrived here right now hoping to discover something new. I was not frustrated. Your ideas upon new strategies on this subject matter were helpful and a terrific help to me personally. Thank you for creating time to write down these things as well as sharing your thinking.Just a smiling visitant here to share the love :), btw great style and design .

Count me as one of the people that paused the podcast to download Uninformed Opinion #17 to get the story. As my post total will show you, I'm more of a lurker, but I did want to express my gratitude for you all providing so much entertainment over the years. Thanks for all of the stories, opinions, and fun gents!

I'm also a listener to Unop podcast, and did hear the full story. I can understand it would be difficult to do, but perhaps a 1-2 rehash could have been okay.

Either way, I always enjoy CagCast.

finally got around to finish. forgot what happened in the beginning of the show.

did listen to wombat's other podcast just to hear his story about dinner.

I wonder what Penny Arcade does with that Kickstarter money, like how's the accounting work for that? If they aren't pocketing it, they probably donate it under the guise that they raised X amount for a good cause when they just mislead everyone.

style of film in LA? never played it though. can't believe shipwreck or cheapy didn't know immediately.

gaming communities and online communities use nicknames/handles/etc even when meeting in person from what I've heard from friends in some gaming scenes.

bread's done
Back