CAGcast #63: A Dish Best Served Cold

enjoyed the show, like always.
i'm almost done with Phoenix Wright 1, and i'd LOVE to win the second one!

Hey Cheapy & Wombat,

I've been in the game development industry for nearly 6 years now, getting my start at a large publisher's QA and now producing my own original IP at a developer me and a few colleagues started up. Having said that, it is a bit frustrating to listen to your otherwise-excellent podcast only to hear that you guys don't always know how the behind-the-scenes stuff actually works. In this case, how the first party certification process actually works. Please feel free to contact me if you ever have any industry-specific questions, as I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Great show again, keep up the entertaining work!

So you got the Revoltech Prime but not the Dante?
ACTFIG-114.jpg

Edit: I would be a Meerkat

[quote name='Corvin']Not at 8+ hours per download.[/QUOTE]

True I have to agree with that point, But its still moving in the right direction.

Great show!

I own a PS2 and have absolutely zero interest in a PS3. The price tag is just absurd. Combine that with Sony's arrogance and the situation can't be good.

Its hard for me to imagine any of the 'next-gen' consoles becoming 100+ million sellers.
  • PS3 - Cost is way too high to achieve mass appeal and the exclusives seem to be dropping like flies.
  • Wii - Great party system right now, but will there be the 3rd party support to give this system the legs for the long haul? Also as someone who owns a HD TV, the lack of HD is a real let down.
  • Xbox 360 - Great system and xbox live is great for anyone looking for online gaming. But zero support from Japan makes it hard for this console to stay #1.
I think the Wii holds the most potential to tap that very lucrative 'non-gamer' market. I think the 360 and PS3 will continue to see a ton of ports to each other. It might be the only way to make games profitable.

btw, Phoenix Wright 2 please :)

~Longshot

p.s. more Knight Rider music

[quote name='Hired.Geek']Cheapy, and Wombat as always enjoyed the show. I noticed that Cheapy dropped the F-Bomb once, making it hard for me to listen to the show at work. Nothing like the 1UP show, but I was just saying I really enjoy listening to the show at work and that makes it a little hard since I have to keep the volume way down.

Before I get into my rant here, I would like to say I am hoping to win SOCOM II Fire Team Bravo for the PSP. And I am still waiting to see a tall, bald Mii show up on my Mii Channel.

Console manufactures need to do a lot more to keep their customers coming back to them as repeat customers. While I think all three of the major players made significant improvements to address the concerns of previous versions of their consoles, there is still allot more work to be done.

First off Microsoft I think has done a great job in making PR people like Larry Hryb, Trixe, and others available to answer questions and get information out to consumers. If problems arise with the console or the LIVE service I think they have been fairly quick to act on that. One good example was extending the warranty of the 360 to one full year and giving retro refunds to customers who have already had to pay for 360 repairs that happened inside of the year time line. Another thing they are doing to keep customers is continuing to update and upgrade their online service. Adding demos, and game trailers as well chat feature in and out of games is a really good feature. The one area that they have completely dropped the ball in is backward compatibility. They told us that they were working hard and that most major titles would become backward compatible, and with the companies history of keeping programs backward compatible with previous versions of Windows I believed them. In reality they started out strong getting a number of titles backward compatible every few months, but now they have all but dropped off in that effort. This is a massive disappointment to me, and I think it really re-enforces the idea that in Peter Moore’s mind playing older XBox games is not that important since it does not make more money for his company. Overall on XBox LIVE I play with allot of people who were previous owners of the XBox 1. I think Microsoft has addressed one of the biggest complaints from their last generation console, and that is it only has shooters. I think Microsoft has really tried hard to recruit new developers and create games for all sorts of gamers.

Second off Sony, well what do I say here. With the first two consoles they had I think they really had the idea of customer services down pat. They continued to create a product that was almost completely backward compatible, and creating remarkable gaming consoles that gamers and developers loved. Now enter the PS3, and it seems that they have lost all sight of customer service. The PS1 & PS2 games run on the PS3 which is a considerable step up from Microsoft’s attempt at backwards compatibility. But this time around they did not do quite as good of a job as they did in previous consoles. Sony on the other hand is not quite as accessible to consumers and press. They really need to send a PR person around with every Sony executive, and the second they start to say something stupid, the PR person should smack the executive in the back of the head. Perfect example is the giving away $1200 for any PS3 that has been sitting on store shelves for more then five minutes, that should have resulted in a sever open handed smack to the head. I think Sony has listened to the complaints of the last generation console and improved the graphics, and shall I say started down the path to an online gaming strategy.

Finally Nintendo, who I think has done the best job to date in keeping their customers over time. The Wii is virtually completely backward compatible with the Game Cube. It is very user friendly and has really aimed itself at offering something to all levels of gamers. I think they are leading the industry in trying to retain customers by creating consoles (DS & Wii) and games that appeal to all level of gamers. Gamers who are long time gamers can have fun with the console and some of the advance titles, while new gamers can start their journey on easy to learn games like Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Wii Play and others. Even the Wiimote is new and improved, but still holds to the basic design of the NES controller which was something that most gamers from previous generations may remember and feel more comfortable with. One thing Nintendo is completely falling on their face is the online. The GameCube had nothing, verybody complained about the DS friend code system, and now they are making the same mistakes on the Wii, and releasing a console that is only fractionally functional. They should have sold the system with combination component-composite cables similar to the way the XBox 360 premium did. And having the online functionality working out of the box would have been another thing that could have vastly improved the consoles release. Nintendo addressed the major complaint of the last generation in creating a product that is not just viewed as a toy for children, but as a console for all ages. We are starting to see quite a few games that are aimed at adult audiences.

Wombat’s comparison of minors selling games that are rated mature or adult only, to minors selling alcohol is not completely correct. You can be 18 and work in a bar as wait staff or a bartender, but you can not purchase alcohol until you are 21, at least here in the USA. Sorry Wombat it seems like someone is always working you and your comments over in the forums every week, and this week we all gathered around and I drew the short straw! But I do agree with Wombat in that it is pretty hard to take advice from a 36 year old full grown man, that still has a roommate (unless he is gay, then I guess his advice is just as qualified as anyone else’s. But man honestly just say it, it is nothing to be ashamed of).

To the guy who does not like the Wii Store music I say really? It honestly reminds me of walking around in a store and that cheesy music they play in the back ground.

As to the benefits of living in Japan, all I can say is the freakin hot women! WOW, it seems like every time I am seeing video of people standing in line for games or consoles there are tons of smoking hot chicks! That has got to be a super big plus. Cheapy, do you get hit on quite a bit? I had a friend in the army stationed there who told me that most guys over six feet tall can do very well at a bar in Japan? Not that I am saying you would do anything about it, but do you get a few offers? Maybe some little hotty wants to go home with you and Mrs. Cheapy since you have this huge open shower?

As for the customer service at the post office that is amazing. I can not get my mail carrier to deliver mail to mailbox if there is more than three inches of snow on the ground that is not shoveled clear.
[/quote]

Sorry HG, but the format was killing me.

Contest entry: Phoenix Wright 2

Good show as usual. Wombat's little editorial was very thought provoking, so much so that I think I'm going to have to CAGbag about it.

Man.....you have to post pics of all the toys your getting!
Id love to see your collection of stuff....

Id want Phoenix Wright 2 please :)

[quote name='bobthecat23']theres AFRIKA that game by the ppl that made shadow of the collosuus[/QUOTE]
Say what?

[quote name='Wombat']I don't take advice from a 36-year-old with a room mate.[/quote]
Damn straight. I was thinking the same thing.

I'd take Virtua Fighter 5.

First off Microsoft I think has done a great job in making PR people like Larry Hryb, Trixe, and others available to answer questions and get information out to consumers. If problems arise with the console or the LIVE service I think they have been fairly quick to act on that.

Larry Hyrb, Ozzymandais and Trixie are not PR people.

LMFAO @ "I don't take advice from a 36-year-old with a roommate." Classic.

Great show. A few comments:

Re: Crank. Hilarious movie--more of a dark comedy than an action flick. I watched it on BD and the extras are great. The whole thing was shot in HD (by the directors themselves) which explains the amazing look of the movie. The guys are nuts. They were hanging out of helicopters, getting pulled by motorcycles on rollerblades while shooting, and so on.

Re: Cooking Mama. "A collection of mini games that are not that exciting." Hello, and welcome to the Wii. ;)

Re: Customer Retention. I don't think game companies are viewing their customers as being a narrow demographic who are going to outgrow the hobby and move on. The ESA's own statistics completely contradict that. The average gamer is 33 and has been gaming for 12 years? Doesn't seem to be a transitory hobby.

Please make me the big Virtua Fighter 5 winner.

Thanks, dadeisvenm

Sorry about that, but that is what happens when you work for a company that has what I think is a Nazi War Criminal in hiding, in charge of monitoring Internet usage. I have to write all my comments in Microsoft Word, then quick copy and paste them into the webpage hit submit and quick exit.

Corvin,

While their official titles may not be Public Relations and their departments are not directly under Public Relations. They are people who interact with the public, and offer answers, solutions.

Great podcast once again guys! Cheapy, how soon till you run out of space in your tiny Japanese living unit to house all of your dolls, I mean action figures? Please put me down for Virtua Fighter 5. Keep up the great work!:bouncy:

1) Virtua Fighter 5 is my choice... I like punching shit.

2) This is the third consecutive week that Wombat's been entertaining to listen to. Maybe this is a permanent improvement? Either way, it makes the show much more enjoyable to have less obnoxiousness (word?) and a lot more humor than before. So keep up the good work.

3) What I found kinda funny was Wombat's rant about how we should have a game set in Africa... by the time he was talking about "untapped potential," I was halfway expecting him to say "We should've carved up this African cake years ago..." Just a thought... Ah, imperialism.

4) Again, I really, really want VF5

Anyway, Great show.

For you Wombat:
If I was any animal, I would be a duck. I think itd be a cool to be able to quack I guess or something. I would enjoy to recieve Phoenix Wright 2 for my brother who hopefully passed his LSAT.
-G$

Edit: Brainiac is awesome, but if anyone likes cars, the BEST show for it is this British show called Top Gear. It's also hilarious.

[quote name='lebowsky']Wow, if Nintendo's arrogance is limited to not supplying component cables (which the PS3 also doesn't do) and providing "crappy batteries," they are doing pretty well.[/quote]
Actually, they're pretty arrogant to the press to even help them do their jobs, covering games. The Tretton cover feature in EGM (which Cheapy should read because the quotes were said over a month ago) was supposed to be a roundtable discussion with Peter Moore and Reggie, but Reggie refused to do it at the last minute, so they just went with Tretton for this issue and are trying to get the other two for the next two issues.

I'll put my hat in for Killzone again.

Thanks for the review of Cooking Mama. I hope that someday my Wii collection expands beyond Zelda and Excite Truck, both purchased on 11/19/06. I'll take Virtua Fighter 5, please.

theres been a few games i can recall with levels set in africa. one of the doa games had an african level as i recall where you fight surrounded by animals. and an old neo geo top down racing game had an africa level.

all in all the only game id want to see set in africa is a marvel game based on the black panther that would be a sweet ass game.

and as far as disney world keeping repeat business its easier for them to do so since vacation places liek that are an institution. its somethign that everyone who goes can find soemthign to do especially nowdays whith adult and children areas. disney doesnt need to do much to keep peopel coming theyre the pinnacle of what theme parks are supposed to be and as such whether they chaneg and evolve or not they can gaurantee 50 percent to 60 percent repeate business.

peopel went when it first opended and loved it so when they grow up and have kids of course they want their kids to experience it. theres that kind of right of passage that come with places liek that when youve gone you go , you love it and you want to share those memories you had with your own kids and grandkids so yeah in that sense they will always have people coming in.

videogames arent somethign everyone can get into. thats what nintendo was hoping to change by selling their gamecube 1.5 and making overly simplistic and repititive games for the masses. they wanted to make the decision fo whether to get their system over the others easier by having a lower price point and a mixture of lame games for the non gamer or passive gamer and their usual staples with some new things sprinkled in to keep the hardcore and regular gamers coming.

and youre right all the game companies have gotten cocky especially sony but they were more interested in beating microsoft than putting out a system thatd sell. they wanted to load in all the bells and whistles and before they knew it what they created cost too damn much which i think is why they are pushing blu ray movies so much.

playing dvds on the ps2 is what sold that sytem to alot of folks and theyre hoping to do the same again but at 600 pluss bucks its not worth it not even for the games.

i think as far as older gamers waning on gaming its a micture of lazy game development ( ie the lackluster level of improbements you see in game franchises like tony hawk or ea sports games)

the market being flooded with crappily slapped together movies games

and the high ass system prices you see today.

the smart money is on most people either keeping or buying a ps2 and waiting till the other consoles drop prices because the ps2 still has the best games library right now and theres plenty of games to be bought and played to keep you busy for years on end especially if you never owned a ps2 before.

Phoenix Wright 2 hookup maybe?

As far as retaining gamers goes, I'm interested but am a late adopter when it comes to consoles. The most expensive I have ever bought was $179 for an Xbox and waited for $100 for my Cube and PS2. I think what gaming consolses don't give us is much value for the money at launch. I don't really play often and can wait for hardware bugs to be worked out and prices to drop. I'll pass until the Wii or Xbox 360 can be had for $200 or less and have plenty of $20 games. By that time, It will be clear which I want to own and which maybe Ill get later. Otherwise I'm happy with my last gen stuff and DS. Hell, I plan to pick up God of War this weekend and I'm sure it will give me just as much pleasure as Resistance or Gears of War would.

Another great podcast, guys. I'm new to the forums, but have been listening for a while ;)

Put me up for The Warriors for the PSP, please :)

Oh, and I'm definately a lemur :D

Playing Phoenix Wright 2 would be more fun than listening to Wombat ramble on about his job. If you won't just come out and say what you do, I really don't want to hear about it. Also, that long winded speech about repeat console customers felt like 2 hours of the most boring radio ever. Otherwise love the show.

Most games are passed through two levels of testings, sometimes more. Development houses have a few part time testers on site to test specific features on interim builds of games. This allows the dev team to receive quick feedback on new features and/or new bugs that may pop up.

The majority of the testing is done separately by a dedicated test group during the beta and final phases of a game's development. Game developers will (ideally) send revisions of a game to the test group every couple of weeks. It is during this process that a game's flaws are exposed and reported. Note that I said exposed and reported. Developers don't always fix the bugs that testers find and they RARELY listen to suggestions to improve gameplay flaws.

In some cases, as with Third Party Sony developers, a third phase of testing is involved. Sony Third Party testers are given a very short time to DEVOUR a game and expose the bugs that developers were too lazy to fix, overlooked so they could make a milestone, or their producers are trying to slip under the radar.

Long winded but it should help you understand the process. Just keep in mind, TESTERS RARELY HAVE A VOICE so you can't blame shitty/buggy games on the testers.

Whatever guys, Total Overdose was pretty decent for a cheap GTA clone. What other game lets you cross the border illegally, guns blazing, killing CIA agents, and you're still the good guy. I thought it was hilarious. The soundtrack was pretty good too.

I'd still like Phoenix Wright 2.

And I'd totally be a liger.

Video companion now in OP
UPDATED with Knight Rider phone crap
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPKyITQbFLU[/media]

Killzone for PSP is still available right?

On the subject of customer retention: Developers/Publishers do this by doing sequels. The idea of a sequel is that it's similar to the first but with a new story and improvements. Just look at Capcom - I'm guessing the people who keep buying their games are not first time buyers especially the older properties like Megaman, Street Fighter, or even the ghosts n goblins. And also take note of the success of RE and how that spawned Onimusha (similar experience but totally different at the same time) and then they took another step and made DMC. Same story with Rockstar with GTA and the sales success of Bully (marketed as a GTA clone).

It's harder for the console makers to build that relationship with consumers because at the beginning of every next gen system it's all about what the system can do and what it brings with it i.e. exclusive content and like all tech which is the best deal. The PS2 was successful because gamers thought that Sony would end up with the best games/support versus it's competition - Sega's Dreamcast (Sega never really got good support for any of their systems). And once the PS2 dominated the market - consumers kept going back to it even after their original PS2 got a DRE.

Sony's "failing" this time because magazines keep emphasizing the costs of game development and how games will not stay exclusive anymore. This is in the head of gamers so the 360 this time looks like it's the better deal (why pay the extra $100/$200 for the PS3?) Short of it: Console makers depend on third party - Disney/Disneyland doesn't.

I whole heartedly enjoyed this ep. I am so sick right now and lying in bed listening to it relieved my boredom for a bit. Btw, put me down for Virtua Fighter.

Great show as usual .

That Lucky Poo is the shit !

1st of all Disney is not perfect .
There's no 800 number to make reservations , I find that rediculous .
That being said I'm a lifer . My family used to go every year when I was in grade school . I went there in '97 and returned in '98 for my honeymoon .
I'm overdue to go again and I will , but where else am I going to get a Disney-like experience ?
That's mainly why people go back , what choice do they really have ?

I guess from a business standpoint they're pretty enviable , but they're not perfect . They have exclusive characters & things to do , not unlike certain consoles have exclusive game franchises that affords them to be arrogant [Sony I'm looking at you] .

Nice video companion , I like the idea of it .

Maybe if we are lucky CAGcast # 100 could be a video podcast !!!!

Your Windows Movie Maker skills will have certainly leveled up by then , just make sure there's the usual audio version as well .

Also abolish the black text color . It's uselessness has been proven in this thread .
While we are on that why does the box/pulldown for colors have an "A" on it ? Shouldn't it have a rainbow or RGB on it ?

Put me in for Phoenix Wright 2 , for my currently dormant DS .

bread's done
Back