CAGcast #63: A Dish Best Served Cold

[quote name='bobthecat23']theres AFRIKA that game by the ppl that made shadow of the collosuus[/QUOTE]

ugh, no, fumito ueda's team is NOT making afrika.

anyhow, as for my comment:

Wombat, i was born in south africa, and i was intrigued by your suggestion of using it as a setting for games.

i've lived in the US most of my life, but i've been back quite a few times throughout. thing if, you just couldn't make a game that didn't involve the possibility of killing widlife, or witnessing racial and/or political tension. if you did, specifically the latter, it would insulting to the reality of it, just to ignore everything and make it just another setting for a game.

the only way around it is something like halo, which sets a level in a different time and place of africa. at which point it may as well not be africa.

it's just a tough thing to get around, though i'm certainly open to ideas.

Here's an area that needs to be exploited (from Wombat's South Africa comment): The US South. White folks in the south. There's a market I'd like to see a game set in.

Here's a try for Pheonix Wright 2.
Then again, if I get something else somehow, I'll take it. Cheap-asses first axium: free is free.
Keep up the excellant show.

[quote name='vosos102']Here's an area that needs to be exploited (from Wombat's South Africa comment): The US South. White folks in the south. There's a market I'd like to see a game set in.[/QUOTE]

Redneck Rampage doesn't count ?

Hey guys,

I use to work for Sony and Sega as a senior tester in the UK, I now live in Japan so I know a little about testing. So to hear wobat say 'do companies really test a game twice', I felt obliged to send my comments and help clear up the subject.

This is just one example...

Say a game is developed by Team 17 but published by Sega for the Sony PlayStation 2, well the game would have been tested by both Team 17 and Sega at the same time, the Sega testers would work in a team of say 6~10 (depending on the title) people. The bugs found by Sega would been written up into a report and sent to Team 17. Team 17 would go through the bug report addressing the worst (100% crashes, Sound corruption, Graphic corruption) bugs or the bugs that might failure the product once submitted to Sony. Team 17's and Sega's testers would then get new code and test it again to see if the bugs had been fixed or to find new bugs that the fixers may have caused. While testing a product you must always be recording the game you're testing, this can be used as evidence of a bug. It could help the dev-team fix the bug (sometimes the programmers can identify the problem just by watching the video) by showing them the exact problem or it could help the tester recreate the bug.

After the Sega test team had finished with the product making sure all the major bugs had been flushed out, SEGA would then submit it to Sony for Approval. The Approval testing is a minium of 100 hours depending on the size of the game.

Sony phase one of testing is to see if the game responds correctly (with the correct messages and Copyright info) while controllers, memory cards etc are removed during different stages of the game. Manual proofing is also done in phase one, making sure all text is spelt correctly and Icons and trademarks are all present. But the most important thing during Phase one testing is TRC (Technical Requirements Criteria), this the game fails any of these requirements the game is failed.

While in phase one of testing the product will also be in phase two, this process is where the testers try and break the game by doing things that normal players wouldn't think off. Full play-throughs are also completed during test, using all character or vehicle unlocking everything that game has to offer. If any problems are found during these processes the game will be failed and a report sent to the publisher explaining the reason, along with detailed info on how the problems are caused and duplicated. The developed will then have to address the problems in the Sony report, when the developer thinks that they've address the issues and fixed them problems testing starts all over again. This process will repeat until the game is approved by Sony.

There is a lot to testing a game it's a very complicated process...something I think most people are not aware off.

I'd like Virtua Fighter 5 for the PS3.:lol:

Cheers,

DJmizuhara

Another good show

Total Overdose was a respectable game....for the $4 that I payed for it during the summer CC Clearance, but that is besides the point. ;)

Wombat: I would be a Llama

Put my name in for Phoenix Wright 2. Thanks.

I think a game based on the movie ZULU would rule. It could be an rts or first person spear game. Wipe out an entire British army with nothing but spears.

PSP is getting better and homebrew is not the best thing you can say about that platform.

I would like killzone for the PSP.

first time listening to the cagcast, pretty interesting & informative. i will be listening from now on!

also would love to get a copy of Virtua Fighter! :applause:

I would love to win Phoenix Wright 2(lawyer boogaloo) because nothing good has come out for a while! Ugh, I hate these lean game months after the holidays!

Wombat - Play Elebits if you haven't yet! If I could be any animal, I would be a bear to hibernate through the video game drought of winter...

Robgas

Hey Wombat,
I enjoyed your information on the Disney business book. The business and marketing side of Video Games is a favorite topic of discussion of mine. One of the best Marketing/Sales/Business books I've read so far is Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion-Robert B Cialdini (ISBN 0-688-12816-5). All CAGS should read this book, it has a great chapter on discounts that has changed the way I buy things.

Please put my name in for Phoenix Wright 2. Thanks You.
I just finished the first one and enjoyed it greatly.

I'd like Killzone.

Great show, as usual. I've listened to the podcast, and have been signed up for the forums for a long time, but never posted. Does this fix my "lurker" status? ;)

PS: Wombat - since Cheapy and I are about the same height, I too would be a giraffe.

Good CAGcast as always guys. I would like The Warriors for PSP.

More importantly, I like hearing more PSP talk even if it's just in relation to a giveaway. I hope to hear Wombat's view on Rachet and Clank size matters, as I know he likes the R&C games.

I also enjoyed watching Crank too, I couldn't believe the interesting scene with Jason & Amy Smart towards the middle of the movie no details so that I don't spoil it. Here's my lottery ticket for Socom2 for the PSP.

About the difficulty of games, did we forget that games used to be a lot harder. I mean most of the games between Atari2600 and up to the Playstation 1 were really hard to beat (except RPGs). I remember playing Contra, Mario Bros, TMNT what have you and never being able to beat it. You had X number of lives and if you failed it was over but we kept trying. Now with all the saving, it has made games easier and us more spoiled (maybe). Virtua Fighter 5

Although it's not really required... if I could be an animal, I'd be a squirel. For... I guess no real reason.

In the unlikey event I win, I guess I'll take VF5 (since the other games I either have or don't have the system) - hopefully EBGames will let me exchange it for a Wii game.

yes the games get tested twice and often times the games are getting tested 3 times. 1 the development studio test team, 2 the publishers qa team, 3 the console's test team (microsoft, sony, nintendo, etc.) for certification.

Phoenix Wright 2

killzone liberation for the psp please.

since we have a mrs wombat thread. why not have mrs cheapyd start one also.

I agree that Crackdown seems sort of half-assed... I do plan on buying it, and thoroughly enjoy the gameplay itself, but the world that you play in on the whole sucks. I oughta look into Phoenix Wright 2 along with it... ;)

warriors for psp would be great

You know I actually the cagcast I listen to it while I play WoW

Another spectular show CheapyD! I wish I got the sound toys you got, especially the red one that loops! Keep up the great work! Also, the animal I would like to be is a monkey,;) I would like VF 5!

abrams.JPG
Another spectular show CheapyD! I wish I got the sound toys you got, especially the red one that loops! Keep up the great work! Also, the animal I would like to be is a monkey,;) I would like VF 5!

[quote name='presario']
abrams.JPG
Another spectular show CheapyD! I wish I got the sound toys you got, especially the red one that loops! Keep up the great work! Also, the animal I would like to be is a monkey,;) I would like VF 5![/QUOTE]

Cheapy with hair :rofl:

Anyways, great podcast and keep up with terrific work.

Virtual Fighter 5 plz

bread's done
Back