CAGcast #63: A Dish Best Served Cold

[quote name='H-Town Info']Cheapy with hair :rofl:

Anyways, great podcast and keep up with terrific work.[/quote]
When was that taken and why is it I feel that some college fight song should be playing "here come the read, white and blue....da. da.. da...da.da.da.da...."

Hey Cheapy, Wombat

I love the show, been a fan for a good while now. If I win the contest I'd like to have Virtua Fighter 5,(ps3) I'm getting married this Saturday, Feb 17th, and me and my wife to be would be proud to have it as a Wedding Gift!

Wombat you made a good point about Customer Retention.

Companies have to retain their customers because children don't buy games, but young adults do, and young adults will be the primary consumer of future products for their children. The industry has matured to a point where Customer Retention will be a factor. When we're 40 we will be buying games for children, grand children. The video game industry can generate substantial revenue for MS, Sony, and Nintendo, and all companies intend on making games on a long term basis. I think that Microsoft knows this and that led them to giving the xbox a year warranty, because before it was only 6 months.

Bad customer service and poor products can lead to class action lawsuits (which is what could happen with Microsoft), just like with Sony (and their issue of overheating w/ the ps1) No company wants to be in the news in regards to a lawsuit where their product is deemed faulty. Luckly in the days of the ps1, information didn't spread as much as it does nowadays.

Great show you guys! Wombat, great discussion on the show. Being a former retail manager I read and tried to examine industry standards to keep customers as well. I agree with you completely and this is the reason why companies like Sony may be hurting itself in sales. Sometimes you try to do so much or take for granted the customers loyality in this day and age to keep sales going.

Sony during the PS1 days catered to the "older" gamers. Many games of today have their "edgy" side to it thanks to Sony letting programers create games with deeper story, drama and at times for better or worse..lots and lots of blood. This seems to have left their intentions though. They need to become again more atunned to the older comsumer because simply, the 20 something gamer of today is the 40 something game player tomorrow. Sony may learn (if the PS3 after a while gets a following) what made them succeed in the past.

So good discussion Wombat.

Virtua Fighter 5 is my request.

Wombat FAILS at New Super Mario Bros. That shit made me sad. Additionally, Crank is indeed a masterpiece, and I mean that in all sincerity.

Now, give me some delicious PW2...or crackdown. That wasn't listed, but I want it anyway, in fact, Give me Phoenix Wright 2 AND Crackdown.

great show. I agree with the difficulty setting for Rainbow Six Vegas. I'm currently playing it co-op with my brother over live and I'm loving it.

Phoenix wright 2.

actually I would like to be an eagle, I'm too old & cynical to want to be a phoenix. but I would like to be a eagle. protected from hunting, get to fly all over & scope out me dinner from the trees !

Great show guys. I still can't believe do a show in one sitting.

I am interested in Virtua Fighter 5. I don't have PS3, but this might convince me to get one.

This was definetly one of the best episodes as of late. I can't really point to anything specific but I really enjoyed it.

As for the contest, Killzone: Liberation would be excellent.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it was just this one episode but something seemed to be up with Wombat's mic. Cheapy's been sounding good but Wombat, ehhh not so much. Get on a deal for one! I'd be a Liger playing Virtua Fighter 5.

Also, Idiosyncrasy really was a horrible movie. I mean, it could have been a TV special with how short it is. Dead on with how it pales in comparison to Office Space.

I'm not sure if it was just this one episode but something seemed to be up with Wombat's mic. Cheapy's been sounding good but Wombat, ehhh not so much. Get on a deal for one! I'd be a Liger playing Virtua Fighter 5.

Also, Idiosyncrasy really was a horrible movie. I mean, it could have been a TV special with how short it is. Dead on with how it pales in comparison to Office Space.

Listening to the CAGcast and watched the SmackTalk video review. High fives all around.

If I am selected, toss me Phoenix Wright 2. My DS feels ignored ever since I brought home the Wii.

Oh, and for Wombat's satisfaction, I'd be a . . . monkey.

I'd be a dolphin. I never was a good swimmer so living the life of a dolphin would be pretty nice.

As for the contest, once again, SOCOM FTW.

Wombat, your ruminations on the bald-faced hubris of the gaming industry was inspired! The thing I most enjoy about the CAGcast (after, of course, the belching and the mooching) is the independent-mindedness of you and Cheapy. That’s why I don’t bother listening to the more “mainstream” gaming podcasts; you two only owe allegiance to the CAG community, and therefore you’re more inclined to tell it like it is, or, at the very least, the truth as you see it. I know we ground-level CAGs subject you both to a good bit of mockery, but I, for one, appreciate the flashes of insight that pepper the podcast.

I would like a copy of the new Phoenix Wright.

Also, I would be a squirrel.

Great podcast so far like always. I will listen to the second half on the way to work tomorrow. Also, I would like to request Virtua Fighter 5 since I do not want to spend any more money on games since I got to save up to graduate college this December.

great podcast as always :whistle2:D loved the Cooking Mama review Cheapy, wasn't sure if it would be worth getting on the Wii

oh and put me in for Killzone please ^_^

Another great show this week.

Phoenix Wright 2

I'd be a monkey.

Gotta disagree with you though, Wombat, Sony and MS may have crappy customer service and not care at all about their consumers, but Nintendo actually has good customer service. Just ask anyone who has had any problems with their DS, their service blows away the competition. Nintendo may not be the best when it comes to other areas (*cough* online gaming *cough*) but their customer service is solid.

I think Wombat raised a very interesting topic with his comments on customer service, and judging by the amount of feedback generated in this thread, I am not alone in finding the topic interesting. I wish he had given us a bit more info about the points raised in the Disney book so we could think about parallels to the game industry.

That said, Cheapy was pretty dismissive of Wombat's topic. One week he bitches that Wombat doesn't prep for the show, and then when Wombat does bring something to the discussion, Cheapy threadcraps on it. I know Cheapy often sounds a little annoyed with Wombat, but jeez, didn't you learn anything from "Terrence and Phillip: Behind the Blow"?

If I'm lucky, I'd like Phoenix Wright 2.

good show. Had a quick suggestion. I was thinking maybe you guys could start a thread or something asking what people want to be discussed about stuff you two don't think is much important. I mean mainly the Wii and Ps3 and what people want to hear about them. I dunno, im kinda drunk so screw it.

Phoeniz Wright 2

Another classic and hilarious CAGcast,thanks again for the entertainment while I'm suppossed to be working :D Phoenix Wright 2 please! Keep up the great work guys!

Enjoyed the show, thanks for the Cooking Mama Wii review, Cheapy! I have the DS version and was wondering if it would be worth getting, guess I'll wait awhile when it's $20 or less.

Phoenix Wright 2

Customer service eh? Nintendo has for as long as I can remember had fantastic customer service. I used to be an annoying little snot before the N64 came out and I'd call their customer service line all the time and force them to tell me everything they new about the new system. No matter how many dumb questions I asked or how much I irritated them they were all always SO NICE. Everything I've ever heard about them fixing / replacing systems has been very positive. Remember when they offered to replace your DS even if it only had one dead pixel? Nintendo may trick us all into buying the same games over and over, but no one can say their customer service isnt fantastic.

edit: I talking strictly customer support here. There's no doubt that Nintendo has been arrogant with choices they have made as a company at times.

Also, the music in Hotel Dusk is fine. I was listening to the games sound test today and didn't understand why you guys were making fun of its music.

Anyways, love the show. :)

VF5 plz!

bread's done
Back