CAGcast #69: Where the Elite Meet

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD and Wombat discuss the Xbox 360 Elite, a potentially annoying in-game advertising possibility, new releases, and the latest gaming news. We also answer your questions from the CAGbag, announce the 80s Karaoke Contest winner, and much more!

Sponsored by Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories for the PS2.
Click here for details on our 80's Karaoke Contest!

Download - 94 minutes, 43MB

Past CAGcasts

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast69.mp3[/media]

Show Linkage/Notes
:

Damn you Wombat, you misunderstood my comments (the off-hand reference to the complaints about you Wii bashing last week). You said a game not out yet doesn't count when you said the Wii only has minigame collections. The issue was not that comment but that you guys both said NOTHING was coming out any time soon - and the Super Paper Mario release is imminent. I figured it was worth at least a mention (so, anyway, thanks for mentioning it this week, though you managed to diss it anyway). THAT was what I was referring to. And you guys put us down for our listening comprehension skills (another off-hand comment about one of my posts where I mixed up Cheapy and Wombat's positions on GTA vs Madden ;)).

Also, Cheapy, not a single person here thought you LITERALLY meant every person played either GTA or Madden. (Well, I hope not anyway).

And just to provide some proof (on the SPM issue), here's my post back then. Sure, other people complained too so maybe you didn't mean me ;)
[quote name='me']
Yeah, I have to say it irked me a bit when they talked of all the bad games coming out for the Wii and that nothing good was coming out until the next MARY-oh and they made it sound like that was Galaxy. WTF? Super Paper Mario is just a few weeks away here...
[/quote]

At least it prompted Cheapy to look at the videos though. Here's a little more in depth look at the game - sounds like it will be the next "big thing" on the Wii to me:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776339p1.html

And (thanks to Daroga in the SPM preview thread):

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160934

Highlights:
"To play Super Paper Mario is to know what an epic, many-layered adventure it sends you on."

"Super Paper Mario always seems to have been neglected by Ninty's Promotional Megamachine in favour of its starry-eyed neighbour, Super Mario Galaxy. But know this: Super Paper Mario is easily brilliant enough to make you forget that there's even another Mario game on the way."

"It's visually dazzling. The colours are so sharp you may just cut your eye open on them." (To counter Cheapy's comments about the graphics not looking so hot ;))

"Simply: it's brilliant - and one of the best games we've ever played."

OK, maybe a little overboard there, but my point is that this is a HUGE release for the Wii, probably the best since (and maybe including?) Zelda. Hardly a collection of lame minigames. This is one of the last few games I have on preorder - nothing this year on the 360 interests me enough to preorder.

Different topic: The Elite. I'll probably get one, but only because I haven't bought a 360 yet. I don't think I want to wait until Oct/Nov for the 65nm chips.

However, how do you know it won't have the quieter drive? These are becoming standard on the very latest premiums. I would assume that these would also be standard on the Elite. Of course, till I hear something specific (or see pictures showing the BenQ tray) then I'll wait and see. If it doesn't AT LEAST have that I'm not getting it.

Great show this week guys, I completely agree the 360 elite is a ripoff. Hope those new processors/cooling units make an appearance before june 5th(Mass Effect!).

Looks like cheapy's appearance on the Joystiq podcast was deemed too bald for podcasting, as episode 3 instead discusses more recent issues with Xbox 360 Fanboy's Richard Mitchell.

http://www.joystiq.com/category/podcasts/

Regarding the discussion of download-only games in the future:

It seems to me that this would be absolutely catastrophic for CAGs.

Reasons:

1. No clearance sales, ever.
2. No Gamer Gift Card, Google Check Out deals, etc.
3. No ability to trade in/sell a game you no longer want
4. The inevitable issues of hard drive crashes...

I can see how this would be good for the game companies, but it would suck for the consumer. Remember prior to the PS3 launch when Sony was discussing "locking" a game to the console it was first played on, eliminating the sale of used games? That idea was thankfully not enacted...

[quote name='io']Damn you Wombat, you misunderstood my comments (the off-hand reference to the complaints about you Wii bashing last week). You said a game not out yet doesn't count when you said the Wii only has minigame collections. The issue was not that comment but that you guys both said NOTHING was coming out any time soon - and the Super Paper Mario release is imminent. I figured it was worth at least a mention (so, anyway, thanks for mentioning it this week, though you managed to diss it anyway). THAT was what I was referring to. And you guys put us down for our listening comprehension skills (another off-hand comment about one of my posts where I mixed up Cheapy and Wombat's positions on GTA vs Madden ;)).[/quote]

I was away on a business trip last week so I didn't get a chance to listen to the "Meat Spin" podcast until yesterday and never got into the podcast thread to post or read the comments. Now that I have heard last week's podcast and I'm up to the Super Paper Mario point of this week's podcast, I have to say I, too, am getting annoyed with the "coverage" the Wii is getting.

First of all, if you are going to discuss Super Paper Mario based on comments that were in last week's feedback thread, do some actual fucking research on how the game works. At least Cheapy got the RPG/Action elements sort of correct, but every review of the game tells you exactly how it controls - the Wiimote is held sideways like an NES pad. Motion controls are only for special functions and are not a core part of the gameplay. As far as how SPM looks, well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it looks fantastic. If you haven't played the previous Paper Mario games, maybe this game will not be your cup of tea, but it is the biggest game coming out on the Wii since Zelda, IMO.

This so-called drought that the Wii is having is the same exact thing that the Xbox 360 went through last year and that the PS3 is seriously going through right now as well. I know you guys bitched about the 360 at this time last year, but you also seemed to forgive Microsoft a lot more than Nintendo.

[quote name='lebowsky']I was away on a business trip last week so I didn't get a chance to listen to the "Meat Spin" podcast until yesterday and never got into the podcast thread to post or read the comments. Now that I have heard last week's podcast and I'm up to the Super Paper Mario point of this week's podcast, I have to say I, too, am getting annoyed with the "coverage" the Wii is getting.

First of all, if you are going to discuss Super Paper Mario based on comments that were in last week's feedback thread, do some actual fucking research on how the game works. At least Cheapy got the RPG/Action elements sort of correct, but every review of the game tells you exactly how it controls - the Wiimote is held sideways like an NES pad. Motion controls are only for special functions and are not a core part of the gameplay. As far as how SPM looks, well I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think it looks fantastic. If you haven't played the previous Paper Mario games, maybe this game will not be your cup of tea, but it is the biggest game coming out on the Wii since Zelda, IMO.

This so-called drought that the Wii is having is the same exact thing that the Xbox 360 went through last year and that the PS3 is seriously going through right now as well. I know you guys bitched about the 360 at this time last year, but you also seemed to forgive Microsoft a lot more than Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in regards to Paper Mario, as of this posting the game in not available in stores, so to disuss it as a viable option for Wii usage right now would be a false statement. When the game becomes available to masses next week, I know I would be happy to discuss it, until then it does not count as a great game for the Wii because no one can play it. Its the same reason we don't discuss Mass Effect as being a great game for the 360 or Ratchet and Clank as being a great game for the PS3. To sum up wait a week, if we dont sing its praises then, then you can bitch

I guess I missed the part where it said in the contest rules that only poorly conceived parodies were likely to be considered for the karaoke contest. Not even giving DarcyDoo an honorable mention? That's cold.

And as far as in-game advertising goes, I don't think all of it is bad. There's nothing wrong with "The Coca Cola Cup" being offered as a downloadable course, tourney, or level in a golf, soccer, or some other sports game. Or if a Coke bottle appeared as a log-rollable type object in Little Big Planet? Or if I could roll up a Ford F-150 in my katamari ball for a good dose of extra mass? Or if the CAGcast was a downloadable, streamed, updated "talk radio" station in my Ferrari in Grand THeft Auto 4. It just has to be in a fashion that doesn't slap you in the face or break the game. But I agree with Cheapy -- the first time I summon Chester Cheetah in an RPG to finish off a bad guy, I'm out of here.

Anyone else having trouble downloading this? I've tried to get it off of the main page as well as through itunes, but I can't get it either way.

[quote name='PRMega']Anyone else having trouble downloading this? I've tried to get it off of the main page as well as through itunes, but I can't get it either way.[/quote]

I was having trouble with itunes so I closed itunes and opened it again. It worked after that. If that doesnt work just try a couple of times.

[quote name='PRMega']Anyone else having trouble downloading this? I've tried to get it off of the main page as well as through itunes, but I can't get it either way.[/quote]

I have been trying myself, even so far as to reboot so that iTunes would be fresh...no luck for me yet.

[quote name='Wombat']Maybe I wasn't clear enough in regards to Paper Mario, as of this posting the game in not available in stores, so to disuss it as a viable option for Wii usage right now would be a false statement. When the game becomes available to masses next week, I know I would be happy to discuss it, until then it does not count as a great game for the Wii because no one can play it. Its the same reason we don't discuss Mass Effect as being a great game for the 360 or Ratchet and Clank as being a great game for the PS3. To sum up wait a week, if we dont sing its praises then, then you can bitch[/quote]

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough. I never said anything about your opinions of SPM or whether it was a viable reason to use your Wii again, I was just perterbed at the lack of any kind of research (other than watching a couple videos) by Cheapy before discussing SPM on this week's podcast. Cheapy obviously talked about it because of comments in last week's podcast thread, yet he doesn't seem to really know anything about the game other than "it doesn't look that good," and "who knows how the motion control will work."

As far as not discussing unreleased games in terms of whether they will be "great" games or be a viable reason to use a console, I really don't agree with you. I bought my Wii based almost solely on Zelda. I knew the pedigree of that series would make purchasing a Wii worth my money. I also knew that Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl would be coming out in the future and that they most likely would be great games.

I guess as a Wii owner, I think that the system gets dumped on more than the others. Maybe PS3 owners would disagree since Sony gets it's share of grief. It just seems like every week there is talk about how the Wii has no games, when in fact it has a bunch, (they may just not be games you want to play) while the PS3's meager list of titles is all but ignored.

If you want the Wii to be like the DS, give it a year or so. The DS's lineup was a barren wasteland for the first 6 months at least. I remember it well, I got one a month after lauch and was stuck with the Metroid Prime Hunters demo and Mario 64 DS for a very long time.

EDIT: Nice music choice on the intro Cheapy. Blaster Master was one of my favorite NES games.

Thanks Cheapy & Wombat -- the karaoke contest was a lot of fun and I'm glad to have been introduced to Singshot. I will, as suggested, rerecord & see if I can't get the microphone to cooperate better.

I await further directions; should I go ahead and PM my address to Wombat?

Thanks to Rockstar, too, of course!

theq87, Congrats for winning, you really nailed the song. And listening to it described exactly how I felt a few days after I bought my PS3.

Cheapy, Are you crazy? Having Layalia Keighly one of the hottest women on G4Tv talk about the CAGCast will probably get more eyes on your website then posting a giant billboard on Time Square! WOW, Cheapy in black face thank god…..I do not know what to say…..but if you must continue to travel down this path to insanity can you do the whole CAGCast doing it in black face and imitating the Rev. Jesse Jackson and preach the news of Cheap Ass Video Games with fire and brimstone in your voice? Kind of like Rev. Jesse Jackson did, when he read Green Eggs and Ham on Saturday Night Live.

WOW, the Honey comb song. The memories! I guess it proves that Cheapy and Wombat are at least in their late twenties to early thirties!

As for the Wii Browser I am of the understanding that it will continue to be free until sometime in June, and then after that you will have to pay for it.

I agree with Cheapy that the odds of these Devil May Cry fans actually not buying the game was about as realistic as Wombat claiming he was going to wait to download the Oblivion Shivering Isle expansion pack. And this whole polluting the blood lines of the game by bring it to other consoles are just Insane Sony Fanboys who want to have some reason to justify buying a PS3. Obviously they should spend less time playing Devil May Cry and spend a little more time learning to spell, or at least learn how to use a spell checker.

I think Wombat is right, that Wii developers need to look to the DS for inspiration. Developers need to stop shoveling Waggleware ports from the 360 and PS3, and start thinking about the odd quirky games of the DS. These are the games that seem to be launching the DS sales, so it stands to reason they would do the same for the Wii. I had to laugh at Wombat’s comment about JetPack being kind of impulse buy that you purchase because of extra points you have. Too bad it came out the same week that the Oblivion expansion pack came out, probably not to many extra points sitting on too many accounts now.

Wombat does have a point that developers that want to give away content on XBox LIVE costs Microsoft money in down load bandwidth. So here is what I propose. For all of us paying $50 a year maybe Microsoft could give some of that content for free, and then charge silver members a very small fee say 20 to 50 points depending on the size. That way Microsoft still makes a little bit of money for server costs and bandwidth.

In game advertising is something that I have mixed feelings about. As long as it is not obnoxious it is not bad. Take the Splinter Cell series. Axe body spray, Nokia, and Dodge were placed very well. You noticed them but they did not over power you. Now Rainbow Six: Vegas and Crackdown I thought there were still allot of extra ads. And for god sakes change it up a bit. In Crackdown I saw so many ads for Dodge I do not think I will ever buy one I am so sick of looking at them. I would pay another $60 if someone wrote a hack so that the rocket launcher or any weapon would actually show environment destruction to the billboards in the game! If advertisers wanted to sponsor a specific piece of the game that would be OK buy me. But once I am in the game I do not want to see any reference to the product unless is applies. So to continue the idea of the Coke Cola Battle Axe. If at the Marketplace I saw the Coke Cola Battle Axe for Oblivion, and downloaded it that is fine. Even if the axe is Coke Cola red, that is fine. But no logos and no name references in game. Advertisers will get benefit by me telling my friend how effective the Coke Cola battle axe is some specific aspect of the game.

When it was brought up that next gen systems may rely more on download or streaming content only, this scares me. If I buy some crappy game, how do I sell it to get rid of it? Or some game that actually only takes six hours to complete with no replay value, now I am out $80 (and do not kid yourself they will raise the price again!). Now I can not even trade it in and recover part of my investment. You know developers are itching to find a way to get rid of used game sales, and this actually scares me a little.

Honestly Ms. Cheapy you got to get a video of Cheapy in his black underwear and a red sheet or table cloth doing his 300 impression.

[quote name='Wombat']Maybe I wasn't clear enough in regards to Paper Mario, as of this posting the game in not available in stores, so to disuss it as a viable option for Wii usage right now would be a false statement. When the game becomes available to masses next week, I know I would be happy to discuss it, until then it does not count as a great game for the Wii because no one can play it. Its the same reason we don't discuss Mass Effect as being a great game for the 360 or Ratchet and Clank as being a great game for the PS3. To sum up wait a week, if we dont sing its praises then, then you can bitch[/quote]

Wombat, what do you mean it is not a viable option to review a game that just came out this week? Why can’t you and Cheapy do a Tom Cruise Mission Impossible style break in to Nintendo steal two copies of the game and have the review ready for us the week of release?

It will just take time for the Wii to get great games. IT's really no different than in any other console or handheld. AT the same time, let's face facts. Western 3rd party developers didn't bet the farm on Nintendo going into this console generation. The GC was in last place here in NA and well what do expect?

So I wish gamers weren't so ADD and didn't act like little Chicken Littles unless there's a AAA game coming out every other day months after launch. The huge sales of the Wii almost guarantee developers have since done a 180 and now have Wii projects up and going.So patience young sun.

Elite 360 is lame. Makes the PS3 look good. And the Wii even cheaper. HDMI is better, but kind of like $10 million is better than $9 million.

[quote name='trip1eX']It will just take time for the Wii to get great games. IT's really no different than in any other console or handheld. AT the same time, let's face facts. Western 3rd party developers didn't bet the farm on Nintendo going into this console generation. The GC was in last place here in NA and well what do expect?

So I wish gamers weren't so ADD and didn't act like little Chicken Littles unless there's a AAA game coming out every other day months after launch. The huge sales of the Wii almost guarantee developers have since done a 180 and now have Wii projects up and going.So patience young sun.

Elite 360 is lame. Makes the PS3 look good. And the Wii even cheaper. HDMI is better, but kind of like $10 million is better than $9 million.[/QUOTE]

If the DS is any indication, developers could really jump on the bandwagon for Wii. Still 3rd party software sales tend to be rather sluggish on nintendo home consoles, and the ones that do tend to sell well are licensed fare. Only time will tell.

the ps3 is starting to look better to me especially since now i know you can put in your own harddrive but the price still needs to drop considerably. but that halo 3 helmet box set is a freakin stupid idea. games are too damn expensive on those new systems already why pay 130 bucks to get a lame toy helmet? man this gen of systems is just so damn depressing and too much of a headache when it comes to figure out which to purchase. i miss the simpler times.

Im suprised that CheapyD is not interested in getting a Elite. It upscales your DVD's via HDMI. Do you only have have one HDMI slot on your TV? I can recall in many podcasts your gripe about ps3 and its lack of upscaling, well you could go and get the elite instead.

I would put this title in the 90% of the great podcasts you guys have done.

The PSP is too expensive. The $200 PSP is worse than the 360's core. Especially when it doesn't come with Memory that makes it cost more than the $250 model when purchased. With the 360, at least adding the HDD adds up to the cost of the more expensive units, without the bonuses.

Once again, I must summon the Pronunciation police, as it's pronounced Bro-Lee. I am picky about it. But, since it was answered extremely quick, I guess I can let it slide this once.

I was kind of going with the large amount of titles at launch in an arcade like setting with my question. Like the Virtual Console's launch (17 or 19 titles), but new games instead of old games.

I dub this podcast a 8.95 out of 10. It didn't get any higher because of the large amount of (Insert title of that game Wombat loves too much) mentions.

I am all for comedy in most shape and forms,but a black face joke is a sign of bad taste. I am glad Wombat stepped away from the joke.I know you are in Japan where you are insulated from the racial divide in the US but even you know that was not a good move. What is next? Cheap Jew jokes? Lazy Mexicans? Slant eyed asian jokes? Cheapy you have to do better than that.

IT's bs too that MS discourages developers from offering free content. IF a game, like GoW, sells 3 million plus copies then Epic & Ms can afford to reward those gamers with some free content.

Evan6.jpg

Wouldn't you know... the only pictures that I found of Cheapy where he's smiling with a big gaping smile is when he has a Robocop toy in his hand. I'm serious!!! This guy Loves his Robocop!!!:applause: (Handler on left, Cheapy on right)

cheapyvshandleriv4.jpg

[quote name='Worseley']
cheapyvshandleriv4.jpg
[/quote]

Ha ha, why didn't I see the resemblance before!

Anyhoo, the whole SPM controversy is getting blown out of proportion. I think SPM looks pretty good and I'm interested to see how well the Wii-specific controllers work with this platforming gameplay. I think the developer is making a good effort at trying something different with that type of genre. Although the flipping direction thing was already done by Treasure with Silhouette Mirage on the Saturn, the technology is there to make more of the pseudo 3D stuff that the game apparently tries to take advantage of. As Wombat says, I'll wait to see what they say after the game actually comes out.

And wow, Cheapy, you've sure been getting around this past week! Just saw your Destructoid podcast appearance and will be checking that out after I listen to this. I like how CheapyD is headlined while Wombat is mentioned only in a tiny blurb after the jump.

Good insight on the Elite--people expecting the smaller chips to be in this one are, as you say, probably just some months off. I can see price drops or revamps or a combination of the two by the holidays.

Wombat, I always appreciate your insights, but your in-game ad idea is just evil. See Bill Hicks regarding what all marketing people should do.

You know you've made it when the largest Internet game blogs send you long letters telling you you're wrong and you've pissed them off.

Good show, don't get overexposed! ;)

bwa ha just started listening to Destructoid. Nice nice nice CAGcast parody. I like how you both sounded like you were reading a script. Oh wait, you were reading a script! Still, pretty funny for those in the know...

great show as always...however I'm VERY dissapointed in the vice city contest. I thought it was a Karaoke contest...not a parody contest. THe person who should have won, was the person who song the song listed with the lyrics listed (at least for the most part) and "the judges" found the most entertaining. I REALLY hope you do this again, but have a set of rules.
-bob

[quote name='Worseley']Wouldn't you know... the only pictures that I found of Cheapy where he's smiling with a big gaping smile is when he has a Robocop toy in his hand. I'm serious!!! This guy Loves his Robocop!!!:applause: (Handler on left, Cheapy on right)

cheapyvshandleriv4.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wait, you mean those are 2 different people? :rofl:

There's no SPM "controversy" - just a little back-n-forth here. And once again, Wombat, it isn't that you guys didn't REVIEW the fucking game that isn't out yet. It is that you specifically called out the drought of Wii games until Super Mario Galaxy comes out (and we don't even know when that is, but it is at least several months away!) when another potentially excellent Mario game was coming in mere weeks. THAT was my point.

Anyway, don't get me wrong - other than compounding that one minor quibble by commenting on it again, great show ;)!

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Oh I wasn't kidding guys. I want that Rail Fan segment![/quote]

I agree with you. There are a ton of railfan games for the PSP Cheapy could review or talk about.

Man, Wombat I really wished Cheapy would of got pissed you said Shema and then he called you by your real name. That would of Pwned!

As for in game ads in Oblivion, why can't I fight the Keebler elf in a downloadable content quest.

BTW I found a preview for next week. O,ky!!!

cheapyvshandleriv4.jpg

I gotta disagree with Wombat on his views of the DS vs Wii.

I remember when I got the DS and the first whole year it was out it was mostly just GBA ports and nothing fully using the system to it's best abilities, making me think I made the wrong choice in purchasing it.

That's totally different now, and I think the same can still happen to the Wii and I'm really hoping that it does happen.

[quote name='Jackal888']I am all for comedy in most shape and forms,but a black face joke is a sign of bad taste. I am glad Wombat stepped away from the joke.I know you are in Japan where you are insulated from the racial divide in the US but even you know that was not a good move. What is next? Cheap Jew jokes? Lazy Mexicans? Slant eyed asian jokes? Cheapy you have to do better than that.[/quote]

Cheapy, I am quite disappointed at your "Black Face" comments. I've listed to your podcast for some time and have always gotten hints of bigotry from you. I've looked past the numerous times that you've used the "n" word because unfortunately it has become part of the cool slang language. However, your "Black Face" comments and imitation were enough to make me stop listening to your most recent podcast.

Wombat, thank you for not participating in that racist segment.

Guys, the karaoke contest was brilliant. I'm upset at myself for not participating, but that was some quality entertainment.

Wombat's Burrow was, um, well, er, one of the weirdest things I've recently heard.

And Fuzion Frenzy 2 is easily the worst game I've ever played [for 90 minutes to gather a mess of achievement points].

bread's done
Back