CAGcast #82: E3 & Earthquake Wrap-up Special

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Hear all about CheapyD's best E3 ever and this week's earthquake experience. 2 hours of E3 action, including your questions from the CAGbag.
Win a PS3 from Goozex & CAG and don't forget to take the CAGcast Audience Survey!

[media]http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast82.mp3[/media]
Download - 119 minutes, 55MB

Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes
(click the button below to expand):

Bonus Photos!

ScrewAttack: Stuttering Craig, James (The Angry Video Game Nerd), Me, Handsome Tom
screwattack.jpg

Me and Mr. Destructoid (Niero)
789680980_729d2a5037.jpg

Me and Ron (Destructoid.com)
815786177_54b9b91972.jpg

Kyle Orland (Joystiq, et al.), ????, Me, Alexander Sliwinski (Joystiq)
777078192_a72f9c10ff.jpg

Notice my limp-wristed talking style!

Wow that Goozex thing is cool! I'm going to actually sign up this time.

Can't wait to listen--congrats on out-digging Major Nelson!

CheapD looks possessed in that first picture with screwattack, the angry videogame nerd does too, even craig also looks possessed for that matter.

That picture is just creepy. I'm wondering am I the only one who thinks that?

[quote name='Cai']CheapD looks possessed in that first picture with screwattack, the angry videogame nerd does too, even craig also looks possessed for that matter.

That picture is just creepy. I'm wondering am I the only one who thinks that?[/quote]

You should have seen it before the red eye reduction!

[quote name='CheapyD']You should have seen it before the red eye reduction![/QUOTE]

I wanna see that devil version. You should also make a toilet tuesday video for screwattack featuring your Japanese toilet. Advertising Cag on another site is always a good thing.

I'm intrigued by Cheapy's ability to let certain games diminish his ability to like other games.

Edit: Why does Wombat care about MGS4's trailer not being gameplay? It's not like he's going to play it if it was gameplay. Also, gameplay was shown at TGS last year. Where Snake was rolling around in barrels, doing the worm, using his Octocamo, and shooting off of his back.

I want to enter in the Goosex competition for the PS3 as well ... but I live in South Africa ... Only Bermuda, US and Canada are allowed :(

Good stuff, as always. It seems to me that a lot of people are saying that Sony kind of "won" E3, but then with the faux price cut some of the steam was taken away. Will they be able to come back in the face of Microsoft's monster release list this fall/winter?

[quote name='thorbahn3']

Wombat has no memory: you discussed Metroid Prime 3's Augest release a few cagcasts ago, a live one I think.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding, old news there. The big news from Nintendo as far as I was concerned was the announcement of release dates for SSBB and Mario Galaxy - especially since everyone was convinced both (or at least one) would slip till 2008. You guys didn't mention those bombshells at all ;). (Though I kind of understand not talking about SSBB since they didn't demo it at E3 for some reason).

And way to piss on my parade Cheapy - I was getting really hyped for Metroid after watching the latest videos :cry:. Despite that, it is still my most anticipated game of the Fall. I really WANT to get into Mass Effect, but the shooter aspect of it is just not appealing to me. I want my RPG's to be RPG's :lol:. I mean, the story, the graphics, and the conversation elements all sound great, but I'm not sure I can get into the combat parts of it. It is strange that you find the shooter aspects of Mass Effect so appealing but didn't like the Metroid gameplay. Unless it comes out at the ultra-AAA level (with metacritic average scores in the upper 90's) I'm passing on that till a price drop. Same with Bioshock.

Did you get a chance to play Katamari for the 360? That, strangely enough, is my most anticipated 360 game this Fall. Yes, I have strange tastes (and they definitely don't line up with those of you and Wombat with your affinity for shooters and dislike of JRPGs).

I actually did play Beautiful Katamari...it's pretty much the same thing as the PS2 games, with no jaggies. The graphics aren't as nice as I had hoped.

[quote name='CheapyD']I actually did play Beautiful Katamari...it's pretty much the same thing as the PS2 games, with no jaggies. The graphics aren't as nice as I had hoped.[/QUOTE]

That's about the impression I got from the videos. Well, my kids were playing the PS2 one a few days ago and no jaggies is definitely a nice thing at least. It does seem from the vids that the objects clump to the Katamari in a more "realistic" way (if it isn't ridiculous to suggest such a thing :lol:) but otherwise the style is exactly the same. Since I loved the PS2 versions (and even the PSP one) I don't mind this game being a "more of the same" one bit. It will be nice adding achievements to the mix as well. That should provide more incentive to get the better times/Katamari sizes and such.

Good show, I was so bored since I woke up early that I listened to it twice while doing other things.

The new Goozex contest pisses me off, if I knew they were going to give away a PS3 I would have waited and not signed up during the "fair" DS promotion that thorbahn3 "won".

[quote name='rogueweapon']wow Cheaps, you look very happy in those pics. Probably because wombat wasn't there.[/quote]
I know I would be be happy knowing wombat isn't around. Anyways just started listening to the cagcast and I'm kind of disappointed about MP 3. I was hoping the gameplay would be good but I guess I was wrong, at least there is still SSB.

Cheapy, before getting a Japanese core system remember that SOME 360 games are region locked. This also means that some games could be region locked in the future. So, if you're tihnking about getting a core system, I suggest doing some research as to which games are region locked and which ones are not.

Sorry to hear about your 360 CheapyD. My day 1 launch 360 is still kicking like chicken, (I even blast all the dust out of it once a week here in Afghanistan).

Signed up for the Goozex ps3 prize! :roll:

Quote:
Microsoft's representative at E3 in a press conference dedicated exclusively to details about live hinted of a major update coming this October to Xbox live. He stated that something really big would instore for October dashboard update. CheapyD, who was an attendee at the press meeting tried to get some more details from the represetatative but all he acquired out of the rep was that is would be bigger than just a dashboard update - more on the scale of Video Marketplace "Huge".

From the impressions I get from the E3 Cag Cast, it seems that the gaming industry is in a really strange place. Pokemon is the largest system mover? Little Big Planet impressing bald, Jewish men the world over? What happened to catering to the most hard core of hard core gamers? It’s like the hard core market has become irrelevant almost overnight.

I turned from hard core to casual with the release of the 360, as it coincided with the birth of my son. Suddenly, I have about 20 minutes of free time a day and just as many free dollars a week.

As a journalist, Wombat should do a little more homework. Reading other journalist's reports of press conferences isn't valid enough. He should have watched the press conferences, they were definitely accessible.

I took the survery at work so i'll listen to podcast tonight. Also Goozex sign up page is strange I screwed up the 1st time , you need to put the coupon code in the bottom of the page , but they don't really show you that part because it says continue before that. So that page needs to be made a little better.

Loved the show , but I felt like Wombat was a little to didn't care leave me alone I don't want to do this at the moment kind of show. He had nothing to say about the press confrences and he kept being like a child on xbox live. I love Wombat and everything , but he was acting a little to immature. If it wasn't for Cheapy moving along the show I would have had the biggest headace. I can't say anything bad about Cheapy though you kept the show on track and great.

CheapyD, SONY also had a games arcade at E3. If you listen to 1up Yours E3 Podcast ep. 3 they mention the SONY game room was empty. I guess it was out of the way and nobody found it.

Hey Cheapy, you might want to reconsider buying a new 360 and putting your old HDD in it. Only your profile will be able to play the XBLA games you purchased, other profiles will only be able to play trial versions.

I did the same thing, called MS to get points for all the games I bought so I could redownload them, and they said I needed to prove that my old system was returned to a store. I was unable to do so, and my girlfriend has been pissed ever since because she can't play Astropop on her profile (her fav game).

[quote name='ma']Looks like the Angry Video Game Nerd doesn't drink Rolling Rock in real life.[/QUOTE]

It's free beer and I doubt they had Rolling Rock on tap.

[quote name='Jackal888']CheapyD, SONY also had a games arcade at E3. If you listen to 1up Yours E3 Podcast ep. 3 they mention the SONY game room was empty. I guess it was out of the way and nobody found it.[/quote]
Yeah, that is true. I never made it there.
The Microsoft one was more centrally located.

[quote name='ma']Looks like the Angry Video Game Nerd doesn't drink Rolling Rock in real life.[/quote]They didn't serve Rolling Rock.

Wombat didn't watch the ShaqFuing Press Conferences?

...Whats the point of him?

I watched the damn press confrences, FULLY.

Dissapointed... Should have had someone else on for this CAGCast.

I for one am a big big Wombat fan. I can't imagine the Cagcast without him. I have even grown to like how bitter and jaded he is, and like that he's critical of the games industry.... but holy fucking shit he was negative in this episode. It seemed like it was his sole mission to rain on Cheapy's E3 parade and E3 in general. E3 should be an occasion to rise to for videogame podcasters and I got the sense that Cheapy was trying so hard to do so but Wombat only served the purpose of bringing him down.

Wombat it's videogames your talking about. Lighten up buddy.

Why is everyone always bagging on Wombat? He's the color commentator, not the news crew. Jeez. He brings the funny. Straight up news reporting is dull, throw in a Vagina Clown comment from time to time and it makes it more listenable.

[quote name='evilpenguin9000']Why is everyone always bagging on Wombat? He's the color commentator, not the news crew. Jeez. He brings the funny. Straight up news reporting is dull, throw in a Vagina Clown comment from time to time and it makes it more listenable.[/quote]

He was VERY negative this cast.

"Mass Effect? Whats the point!"

Man...

I think it's funny Cheapy said he found everything else more of the same after playing LittleBigPlanet. At least until he started talking about fps's for the 360. :roll:

Darknessbear, you are comparing a regular gameplay screenshot from a ps2 ratchet game with rail grinding screen shot from ps3...not exactly a fair comparison. Of course the PS3 version is going to look better. I'm just saying, the difference during the actually gameplay isn't that huge.

Also, I think wombat just wanted me to explain "the point" of Mass Effect, as in, the story, gameplay, etc...I know it is a game he is very much looking forward to.

[quote name='jedijeff']I think it's funny Cheapy said he found everything else more of the same after playing LittleBigPlanet. At least until he started talking about fps's for the 360. :roll:[/quote] You will see...Bioshock will bring the thunder. I don't think we've seen atmosphere and style like this in a FPS yet. Other games have tried, but Bioshock delivers.
I guess you got me on Halo 3, though.

Jeeze, cheapy, first we have the same birth-dates, and now our 360s break at the same time? I think we were separated at birth.

Anyway, since my 360 is waitng for its coffin to arrive, I think i'll join Goozex and hopefully win a PS3. I've been looking for a new trading site anyway.

Good CAGcast, but I'm unfortunately going to have to jump on the "hate Wombat" bandwagon for this particular episode. If you have a show that is centered around video games, I don't think it's asking much to set a few hours aside and watch the press conferences; especially when this weeks show is focused on said conferences.

I understand it can be hard when you have to go to work, but I work and I'm going full time at school and managed to watch all three conferences. You owe it your listenership Wombat, even if you think the conferences are boring, watch them for the sake of the CAGcast.

Wombat likes Cheapy to read things to him or talk about what he saw so he can give his opinion. Is he Jaded? Maybe. I'm Jaded too, sometimes things get to the points where it's more of the same and it's all just blah and hard to get motivated about games.. Besides, he also has a life and a wife. Gotta to give the furry bastard a break.

Nothing will ever be perfect, but using your voice and showing how you feel things are being crappy, bad, or being negative is a way for people to try to get things going in the right direction.

I'm not defending him either, since the few times he has responded to me, he acted like I was a nobody and it was a chore to write something to me... I didn't appreciate that.

Just my thoughts. Agree or disagree, I don't care.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']He was VERY negative this cast.

"Mass Effect? Whats the point!"

Man...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't asking what s the point of playing the game, I genuinely wanted to know the storyline as I wasn't super familiar with it and was hoping Cheapy got some insight at the show. I wasn't being negative in slightest. As far as not having the time I guess my best excuse would be spending a portion of my week at my in-laws internetless house at east for my wife's birthday. And yes Mrs. Wombat will always come before a videogame press conference.

eh kinda meh, but you guys are allowed a so-so show every once in awhile.

Wombat seemed pretty uninterested and eh we kinda already heard about all the games Cheapie talked about even before E3 happened. Plus, at least for me, hard to get too excited about games that are even 3 or 4 months away and hard to get excited about trailers and too many gushing over how good games look.

[quote name='Wombat']I wasn't asking what s the point of playing the game, I genuinely wanted to know the storyline as I wasn't super familiar with it and was hoping Cheapy got some insight at the show. I wasn't being negative in slightest. As far as not having the time I guess my best excuse would be spending a portion of my week at my in-laws internetless house at east for my wife's birthday. And yes Mrs. Wombat will always come before a videogame press conference.[/quote]
Thanks for clearing it up, don't mean to be hard on you.

But you should have atleast made that clear, I felt like you were kind of ragging down on gamers, you seemed like Jammie Kennedy during the Activision Confernce.

It seemed like you were just "to good" for the Press Conferences and E3.

[quote name='CheapyD']Darknessbear, you are comparing a regular gameplay screenshot from a ps2 ratchet game with rail grinding screen shot from ps3...not exactly a fair comparison. Of course the PS3 version is going to look better. I'm just saying, the difference during the actually gameplay isn't that huge.

Also, I think wombat just wanted me to explain "the point" of Mass Effect, as in, the story, gameplay, etc...I know it is a game he is very much looking forward to.
[/quote]
Ok ok, the Mass Effect thing was taking out of context by me, but thats because I was listening to that part as I typed. There were some other prime examples! That, I fail to have on hand.

And the Ratchet screens, I guess I agree it isnt the same thing, so let me try again:

rc2ps2.jpg

rc2ps3.jpg

Which is which?! :roll:

Comparing the FMA/Character Model from the Original

ratchet_081402_9.jpg

rc4ps3FMA.jpg

ALTHOUGH, I will agree that Ratchet animates fairly similar to the original games thus making it seem like its graphically similar but its just that the animations where so simplistic and WELL DONE in the first RC1 that it is hard not to match them in RCforPS3.

[quote name='Wombat']I wasn't asking what s the point of playing the game, I genuinely wanted to know the storyline as I wasn't super familiar with it and was hoping Cheapy got some insight at the show. I wasn't being negative in slightest. As far as not having the time I guess my best excuse would be spending a portion of my week at my in-laws internetless house at east for my wife's birthday. And yes Mrs. Wombat will always come before a videogame press conference.[/quote]
Hey, that's a fine excuse, but to my defense you didn't say anything regarding that on the 'cast. It was more or less "Hey Wombat, did you watch bleh and blah?" your response was practically "Nope, they bore me", hence my post saying that even if they are boring you owe it to your listernship.

So my mistake, now I don't have to be on the "hate Wombat" bandwagon, thank jebus.

"So the main character is like Green Lantern?"
"He's kind of a space cop . . ."
"Green Lantern's a space cop!"
"HE'S NOT GREEN LANTERN!"

bread's done
Back