CAGcast #'s 1-4

[quote name='dpac']Just to be sure, CheapyD, the start date you meant to say for the Radio Shack game offering was late August to early September, correct (and not late October to early September)? Yeah, it's minor, but it's something I caught while listening to the 'cast -- I even rewound the file to confirm. Anyway, nice wrap-up of this week's events (although tubtub originally posted the DS price drop on the evening of Friday the 12th, as opposed to Saturday or Sunday night as quoted). Hope you don't mind the feedback. :) Stay cool.

--Dan
[email protected]

P.S. Oh yeah, I was also the one keeping score on the Xbox(.com) 360 AV-cable story for Joystiq. Good stuff (but long):
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000387054928/[/QUOTE]

D'oh, I've been saying, "late October" several times a day, because that is when we're moving to Tokyo. It must be hard wired into my brain by now.

Thanks for the feedback!

Is it sad that the highlight of my week is getting the newest CAGcast every Friday? Yes? Ok, I thought so.

Seriously, these things are great. It's nice to hear intelligent discussion and not fanboy ranting. My only suggestion so far would be to announce some recent deals from the Gaming Deals forum each week. The annoucement in the first CAGcast about the new PS2 Greatest Hits was good material, so maybe one or two annoucements along those lines per CAGcast would be cool. Of course, I can also see the downside to this: Most deals are dead within a day or less of being announced, so they really wouldn't be applicable come Friday. Ah well.

Please keep the CAGcasts coming, because I am addicted. Great job, you guys.

shut the shaq-fu up thorbahn3. don't listin to the cagcast if your going to nit pick every error, go watch CNN. Maybe Cheapy will give you two months off your CAG membership for the problems.....oh wait this site is free! Ungreatful jerk.

This third CAGcast is definitely the best. I wish I had more time to stay on top of all the new developments in the gaming world, but I don't. That's why it was great to hear you guys summarize what's coming with the Xbox 360 and other events, even though some gamers may already have known about them.

Also, I have to say Cheapy and Wombat displayed some great chemistry in this third installment. The back and forth bantering sounded polished and even, dare I say, professional. Well done, and keep 'em coming.

I have one suggestion. Most of the news on the CagCast is available on the front page or heavy talked about in the forums. I would like to hear less of this news, and more opinion. Is it a good or bad thing RadioShack.com is entering the game market? How long will it last? etc.

#3 was a good CAGcast...but it needs more Cowbell (or at the very least, more soundboard).

It's all about raising the production value

I enjoyed the longer airtime in this 3rd CAGcast, though maybe that was more dependent on so much big news...anyways great podcast!

Thanks for the continued feedback...

We are going to record this week's show tonight. Anything specific you want to hear discussed?

[quote name='CheapyD']Thanks for the continued feedback...

We are going to record this week's show tonight. Anything specific you want to hear discussed?[/QUOTE]

I think you guys should just read the entire GameRush thread verbatim. Oh, and be sure to make up voices for everyone too. Keep up the good work.

I'm 6 minutes into Cagcast four and loving it already.

First Cheapy, to clarify what I said about opinion. As a hardcore CAGer (I check the site about 10 times a day; Can't miss a deal!), I'm already aware of most of the news elements. What I love to hear is you guys cut up a deserving target- Best Buy, The outragous 360 Bundle prices, Crap game of the week, etc. That kind of stuff is great to listen to, it's informative and funny. This show seems like a step in the right direction.

I also like the occasional cuss word in the program. Thanks JimmyMac for taking the first step.

I new idea. At the end of every show play a snippet or two from a game. Cag'ers will have to guess the game...Winners get announced on the next show. Who doesn't want to get mentioned on CAGcast?

Great Job Guys! Thanks for all the work that goes into the show; We really appreciate it.

I kept waiting for Jimmie to give Wombat a purple nurple, but was sorely disappointed.

Edit:

"What's the deal with the new Xbox bundles? 81 cents, 95 cents, what's the deal with the cents!"

seinfeld_jerry_240x260_052820041524.jpg

Good work guys, I definately enjoyed this one the most. I liked the fact that Jimmie Mac was on there this time. I was dissapointed when you said you're going to skip the CAGcast for next week. :cry:

Good job you guys.

Jimmie reminded me of the guy in the window on the Tom Green Show. Just there to add a quick quip.

Wombat, superb performance.

[quote name='evilmax17']I kept waiting for Jimmie to give Wombat a purple nurple, but was sorely disappointed.

Edit:

"What's the deal with the new Xbox bundles? 81 cents, 95 cents, what's the deal with the cents!"

seinfeld_jerry_240x260_052820041524.jpg
[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:now thats classic lol

It's annoying as hell sitting there hearing Cheapy and Wombat make fun of the PS2's launch lineup. Sure, looking back it's crap, but when Fantavision first came out, don't even pretend that you weren't like "Those are the best damn graphics i've ever seen in my life". Give me a break, it was great at the time.

[quote name='Scorch']It's annoying as hell sitting there hearing Cheapy and Wombat make fun of the PS2's launch lineup. Sure, looking back it's crap, but when Fantavision first came out, don't even pretend that you weren't like "Those are the best damn graphics i've ever seen in my life". Give me a break, it was great at the time.[/QUOTE]

I concur. I am probably one of the few that to this day still enjoy Fantavision, though it was originally overpriced. Fun game, simple concept, a blast with friends.

Ah, its driving me nuts, I can't put my finger on what video game tune the remix at the beginning of the show is from, I just know it was a NES game I played a lot of, hmm, oh ya, its that NES motorbike game where you have to dodge left and right to avoid barrels or something right? Arg, what was the name of that.

I like that trivia idea, just make it "Name that Old-School Video Game Tune."

Edit: Dug through my pile of NES games and found it, Mach Rider right?

Oh, and great job guys, it gets better every week.

[quote name='Scorch']It's annoying as hell sitting there hearing Cheapy and Wombat make fun of the PS2's launch lineup. [/QUOTE]

I thought that was great. They made a good point, no matter how shitty the games; you will buy the new hardware. Does anyone remember the Dreamcast launch, three of the titles, Blue Stinger, Hydro Thunder, and Ready2Runble didn't work...

I like looking back on Video Game History, Maybe I'll tell my amusing stories of the Dreamcast or PS2 Launches...

I can't believe the PS2 launched with that crap. I thought Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec was a launch title. Guess not.

I think the lineup with depends on the first six months to a year. Final Fantasy X moves a lot of units, no? Like I'm sure the was GTA: Liberty Stories will move PSPs and Nintendogs is moving DSes.

[quote name='rallen']I thought that was great. They made a good point, no matter how shitty the games; you will buy the new hardware.[/QUOTE]

PSP, anyone?

[quote name='Scorch']PSP, anyone?[/QUOTE]
The PSP had the one of the strongest system launches (portable or home console) compared to anything else in the past decade.

So, yeah, not sure where you're going with that one.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']The PSP had the one of the strongest system launches (portable or home console) compared to anything else in the past decade.

So, yeah, not sure where you're going with that one.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was great. They made a good point, no matter how shitty the games; you will buy the new hardware

A launch consisting of, for the post part, rehashed bargain bin titles.

apparently, you guys missed the most recent addition to the gamestop bundle choices. head on over to gamestop's site and check out "THE OMEGA" bundle. it's only $2000.

i like the section about the importance of launch games, but i think there is more to it. sure, the ps2 had a pretty lame lineup, but at the time, sony had a massive following so it didn't really matter. for other companies, at other times, in other situations, i think the quality and variety of the launch titles is very important. i think the 360 is a good example of this. i know that a lot of people would not be willing to throw down $400 for the system and more money for games if there wasn't at least one game that they absolutely had to play, and i think the 360 launch has several different high profile launch games in various genres that are single handedly getting each of their audiences to lay down the cash.

XBox 360 Game...........................Most Recent Installment For Current Gen With GameRankings Score
Perfect Dark Zero........................Perfect Dark (94.3%)
Project Gotham Racing 3.............Project Gotham Racing 2 (92.9%)
Call Of Duty 2..............................Call Of Duty for PC (91.6%)
Oblivion.......................................Morrowind (89.3%)
Top Spin 2...................................Top Spin (87.9%)
Tiger Woods 2006.......................Tigerwoods 2005 (87.1%)
Madden 2006..............................Madden 2006 for XBox (86.8%)
NHL 2K6......................................NHL 2K5 (85.9%)
Ghost Recon: AW........................Ghost Recon 2: SS (84.8%)
Need For Speed: MW..................Need For Speed: Underground 2 (81.4%)
Tony Hawk: AW..........................Tony Hawk: THUG 2 (84.0%)
NBA 2K6......................................NBA 2K5 (84.0%)
Quake IV.....................................Quake III Arena (83.2%)
Dead Or Alive 4...........................Dead Or Alive Ultimate (83.1%)
Amped 3......................................Amped 2 (82.2%)

that list isn't complete, but it covers no less than 7 genres, and with each previous game being so highly rated, if gives fans of those genres a lot to look forward to. we're not dealing with fantavisions, eternal rings, and x-squads. these are popular, highly rated games with from established franchises. so, i guess what i'm getting at is...although i liked the part of the show discussing the importance of launch titles, as well as the part talking about xbox 360 bundles, i really do believe people are going to be pleased with this launch lineup. everything listed above is a sequel, but add to that kameo, a game i believe will score no less than 85% on gamerankings when all is said and done, as well as gun and condemned, and i think there are a lot of great games to look forward to. you guys say that it's mostly just a bunch of sequels, which is true, but they are sequels to games that were loved by a lot of people...we're not talking about fusion frenzy 2 or anything.

when i think of the games coming out this fall for all of the systems, and i try to narrow it down to the ones i want most, several of them are on xbox 360, which is enough for me to pick it up at launch.

[quote name='trent82']apparently, you guys missed the most recent addition to the gamestop bundle choices. head on over to gamestop's site and check out "THE OMEGA" bundle. it's only $2000.

i like the section about the importance of launch games, but i think there is more to it. sure, the ps2 had a pretty lame lineup, but at the time, sony had a massive following so it didn't really matter. for other companies, at other times, in other situations, i think the quality and variety of the launch titles is very important. i think the 360 is a good example of this. i know that a lot of people would not be willing to throw down $400 for the system and more money for games if there wasn't at least one game that they absolutely had to play, and i think the 360 launch has several different high profile launch games in various genres that are single handedly getting each of their audiences to lay down the cash.

XBox 360 Game...........................Most Recent Installment For Current Gen With GameRankings Score
Perfect Dark Zero........................Perfect Dark (94.3%)
Project Gotham Racing 3.............Project Gotham Racing 2 (92.9%)
Call Of Duty 2..............................Call Of Duty for PC (91.6%)
Oblivion.......................................Morrowind (89.3%)
Top Spin 2...................................Top Spin (87.9%)
Tiger Woods 2006.......................Tigerwoods 2005 (87.1%)
Madden 2006..............................Madden 2006 for XBox (86.8%)
NHL 2K6......................................NHL 2K5 (85.9%)
Ghost Recon: AW........................Ghost Recon 2: SS (84.8%)
Need For Speed: MW..................Need For Speed: Underground 2 (81.4%)
Tony Hawk: AW..........................Tony Hawk: THUG 2 (84.0%)
NBA 2K6......................................NBA 2K5 (84.0%)
Quake IV.....................................Quake III Arena (83.2%)
Dead Or Alive 4...........................Dead Or Alive Ultimate (83.1%)
Amped 3......................................Amped 2 (82.2%)

that list isn't complete, but it covers no less than 7 genres, and with each previous game being so highly rated, if gives fans of those genres a lot to look forward to. we're not dealing with fantavisions, eternal rings, and x-squads. these are popular, highly rated games with from established franchises. so, i guess what i'm getting at is...although i liked the part of the show discussing the importance of launch titles, as well as the part talking about xbox 360 bundles, i really do believe people are going to be pleased with this launch lineup. everything listed above is a sequel, but add to that kameo, a game i believe will score no less than 85% on gamerankings when all is said and done, as well as gun and condemned, and i think there are a lot of great games to look forward to. you guys say that it's mostly just a bunch of sequels, which is true, but they are sequels to games that were loved by a lot of people...we're not talking about fusion frenzy 2 or anything.

when i think of the games coming out this fall for all of the systems, and i try to narrow it down to the ones i want most, several of them are on xbox 360, which is enough for me to pick it up at launch.[/QUOTE]

WTf? :lol:

Too long. Around 20 minutes is best. Jimmiemac was great, did hear a little bit of an echo in the beginning too. You also forgot to mention that the DS launch was kinda like the PS2's: Feel The Magic and Mario 64 were the only good ones.

I see CheapyD remembered that retarded Dracula remark which made me smile.

And the last thing I must say is that you should hold off on the Xbox 360 and PS3 talk for a couple cagcasts. You have talked about it a little too much lately. Maybe something on the GCN's holiday line up or lack of and thoughts on the PSP and DS.

[quote name='Scorch']It's annoying as hell sitting there hearing Cheapy and Wombat make fun of the PS2's launch lineup. Sure, looking back it's crap, but when Fantavision first came out, don't even pretend that you weren't like "Those are the best damn graphics i've ever seen in my life". Give me a break, it was great at the time.[/QUOTE]
sorry scorch ps2's launch was shit. hell i got a ps2 8 months after launch and there still wernt that many great games out, it wasnt until sept 01 that the ps2 began picking up steam.

[quote name='rallen']They made a good point, no matter how shitty the games; you will buy the new hardware.[/QUOTE]

No, I never buy anything at launch because 1) I hate paying full price, 2) I know the launch games will be trash and 3) I'll be too busy buying clearance games for last generation's systems. Enjoying blowing all your credit (or God forbid cash) on the new systems, games and accessories. I'll join you in about a year or two. :D

#4 was excellent.

I got an idea for #5.

Let the CAGs have an idea about the scarcity of the 360 on launch date.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=9890&filter= says there 10 million units worldwide after a year or so, but is there any data on how many units will be around at launch or the percentage of units that will be NTSC?

I know "flipping is wrong", but eBaying a console or two for 100% profit would be hard for anybody (even a diehard CAG) to ignore.

I have enjoyed all the Cagcasts thus far but the last 2 have been better than the first 2. I liked that they were longer as well. #4 didn't even seem like 30 minutes. I love how everyone is complaining about statements you guys made when all along you keep saying they are your opinions. Anyway keep it up these are great.

I thought the look back at the launch titles from the PS2 and Xbox was an interesting idea, but you guys didn't go to far in depth on the non-Halo games that were actually good (Project Gotham Racing & Dead Or Alive 3 for example). I think the PS2 sold so well initially on the promise of the franchises that would come out. Metal Gear Solid 2 was getting advertised and previewed pretty heavily back then and people were also looking forward to the next Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. This will be the same with the Xbox 360 regardless of the launch titles. People are going to be looking forward to Halo 3.

I also hope I never have to hear Wombat compare Fusion Frenzy to Intelligent Qube ever again. Fusion Frenzy is actually a pretty good party game that involves a lot more than just rolling around in American Gladiator balls (that's just one of many mini-games). Intelligent Qube is an excellent puzzle game where you trap cubes to make them disappear. They really have nothing in common except for some bright colors.

It was an interesting Podcast to listen too though, and you guys are doing a good job at mixing it up and coming up with a "format". I like the half hour length, but JimmieMac's skype was pretty bad in places. Overall, this was the best Podcast so far as it branched out a little from what can just be found on the front page of the site. I think this is a good path to take.

[quote name='shipwreck']

I also hope I never have to hear Wombat compare Fusion Frenzy to Intelligent Qube ever again. Fusion Frenzy is actually a pretty good party game that involves a lot more than just rolling around in American Gladiator balls (that's just one of many mini-games). Intelligent Qube is an excellent puzzle game where you trap cubes to make them disappear. They really have nothing in common except for some bright colors.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback, and I agree about the comparison comment, I should have been specific, the look of the games always seemed simliar to me, the colors and player models, but thats about it, personally I think I just like to hear myself talk, ;)

For the rest of you out there, great comments so far, I dont know why I like it when so much when people disagree with us. I take it mean that some of you actually care about, not just the show, but games as a serious medium. And thats what its all about really, oh and fart jokes, gotta have fart jokes

I think the PS2 was able to sell w/o many really huge launch titles because of the PlayStation name and the promise of future titles. I mean, sure, the PS2 had Madden 2001 and SSX, both of which were fantastic games, but there weren't THAT many great games initially. Gran Turismo 3 did come out in about mid-2001, which by itself justified my purchase of a PS2. Twisted Metal: Black, Dark Cloud, Onimusha, and Klonoa 2 were all great games that came out around the same time. And then, of course, there was the Fall 2001 lineup, which kicked all kinds of ass:

Ace Combat 4
Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
Frequency
Grand Theft Auto 3
Ico
Jak and Daxter
Metal Gear Solid 2
Silent Hill 2

So there ya go.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Too long. Around 20 minutes is best. Jimmiemac was great, did hear a little bit of an echo in the beginning too. You also forgot to mention that the DS launch was kinda like the PS2's: Feel The Magic and Mario 64 were the only good ones.

I see CheapyD remembered that retarded Dracula remark which made me smile.

And the last thing I must say is that you should hold off on the Xbox 360 and PS3 talk for a couple cagcasts. You have talked about it a little too much lately. Maybe something on the GCN's holiday line up or lack of and thoughts on the PSP and DS.[/QUOTE]

agreed

bread's done
Back