CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

[quote name='Konfusion']Ravens beat Raiders 14-13. This was a close game all the way. It looked like I was in for another season of road woes as the Raiders returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. I struggled on my first couple possessions until I broke a 69 yard TD run. That ended up being my rushing total for the day as my line struggled to keep B.J. Raji out of the backfield. Luckily I was able to hold the Raiders to 2 field goals the rest of the way including a critical goal line stand where they had a 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line. Joe Flacco and my first round draft pick bailed me out at the end with a short TD pass to take the lead with around 30 seconds left. My defense didn't give up a lot of yards, but I was disappointed by all the dropped interceptions in the first half. I think I had around 5 of them, 2 of them were likely touchdowns. The Raiders returned the favor though by dropping a few in the second half. There was only 1 turnover all game and it was in the final seconds as Archie Urban heaved the ball into a crowd downfield.

I also wanted to add that the Raiders have a fullback as their #1 and #3 TE on the depth chart. I know fullbacks were not specifically discussed as not being able to be put there, but it has the same effect as putting TEs out wide when looking at his chosen personnel for the next play. It would show 3 RB or even 4 RB plays instead of showing there was 1 or 2 guys lined up at TE. It wasn't a big problem for me, but if we aren't allowing TEs out wide, I don't think this should be allowed for the same reason.[/QUOTE]

Yeah GG. That goal line stand you had was huge.

I didn't know that it listed it like that, I ran the same thing the second half of last season so I'm surprised no one told me before. The only reason I had him as a TE is that was his position in college and his catch rating is an 81. His route running is like 50 something since he's listed as a FB. He's hurting my team more than helping but I followed him as a player in college so I like having him there. I can switch him out though, not a big deal.

[quote name='Yo Soy El Tiger']i will gladly change it...if i auto reorder my depth chart welker is moved to the third down back[/QUOTE]

Who cares about auto reorder? No reason to have a receiver as a running back.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Yeah GG. That goal line stand you had was huge.

I didn't know that it listed it like that, I ran the same thing the second half of last season so I'm surprised no one told me before. The only reason I had him as a TE is that was his position in college and his catch rating is an 81. His route running is like 50 something since he's listed as a FB. He's hurting my team more than helping but I followed him as a player in college so I like having him there. I can switch him out though, not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I understood why you had him there after looking at your other options at TE. Like I said, it wasn't a big deal for me. I was just saying that the reasons the TE isn't allowed to be played at WR also apply to this situation. I'm not sure where they are lining up and if it says you are in a 3 RB or 4 RB set, I'm not sure where they are lined up and what play to call to counter it.

[quote name='KasterDB']Who cares about auto reorder? No reason to have a receiver as a running back.[/QUOTE]
i dont think you understand what im saying...i played one preseason game and didnt notice he was back there...second i didnt check my depth chart before i played that game...i checked my depth chart after the game and he was there....i didnt cheese it or anything i threw to him twice in the game when he was in the position because i run alot of screens

[quote name='Yo Soy El Tiger']i will gladly change it...if i auto reorder my depth chart welker is moved to the third down back[/QUOTE]

Welker is shown as your #2 third down back. I don't think it should be allowed either way.

[quote name='Konfusion']Welker is shown as your #2 third down back. I don't think it should be allowed either way.[/QUOTE]
and foster is #1 correct?....250yrds rushing he gets a little tired

either way i will change my depth chart...hitting auto obv. makes people upset

[quote name='perdition(troy']I've never seen that play in my playbook =/

And welker as the 3rd down back makes absolutely no sense. Ah w/e though it'll get figured out at some point. I'm surprised we have so many people still active at this point though that's for sure. The warmer it gets the less I'm caring lol[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slofton']There's some plays that automatically put them there. I think the Lions has a similar package.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Yo Soy El Tiger']i run the lions playbook[/QUOTE]

There is no formation in the Lions playbook that puts a WR in the backfield. There is 1 Shotgun formation called Split Lion that puts a TE in the backfield, but formations like that aren't exactly rare.

[quote name='Konfusion']Yeah. I understood why you had him there after looking at your other options at TE. Like I said, it wasn't a big deal for me. I was just saying that the reasons the TE isn't allowed to be played at WR also apply to this situation. I'm not sure where they are lining up and if it says you are in a 3 RB or 4 RB set, I'm not sure where they are lined up and what play to call to counter it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm gonna switch him out so I don't run into a problem with this later on.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok...what you guys are saying is conflicting, lol. I get what GamerDude is saying...but I don't know why the game would do something like that. That's almost like automatic contract restructuring...essentially allowing you to get out of the final year of a player's contract (ie. the most expensive year) by offering an extension...thus putting him back at year one (ie. the cheapest year). For this to be true, the salary for the player getting the extension in the current season would probably drop several million dollars though. Is this what we're seeing?

What DVO is saying is the way it SHOULD work. Signing a player to a 6 year extension shouldn't change the final year of his current contract (without restructuring). If it actually does what GamerDude is saying, yeah, it's really lame to do that in the final season of the league. But I don't know that much can be done about it. Might as well just allow it and expect everyone to be offering their expiring contracts long-term deals.[/QUOTE]

DVO is correct about this. If you resign someone it takes over the next year. Last year when I re-signed Knowshon Moreno, he was being paid like 3M a year. I re-signed him to like a 3-yr 3M deal and it took over the next year. When I traded him the breakdown was something like:

2013 - 3M
2014 - 900K
2015 - 950K
2016 - 1.15M

The last year of his contract was still paid, and the new contract started the next year.

[quote name='scrub0bk']What the rule with WRs at running back? he had this screen play where he would have welker in the backfield as the RB and would just screen to him, either way i couldnt stop him but i just wasnt sure if that was allowed, casue if it is i might make some changes in my depth chart[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Konfusion']I also wanted to add that the Raiders have a fullback as their #1 and #3 TE on the depth chart. I know fullbacks were not specifically discussed as not being able to be put there, but it has the same effect as putting TEs out wide when looking at his chosen personnel for the next play. It would show 3 RB or even 4 RB plays instead of showing there was 1 or 2 guys lined up at TE. It wasn't a big problem for me, but if we aren't allowing TEs out wide, I don't think this should be allowed for the same reason.[/QUOTE]

Neither of these things is ok. This is the final warning on depth chart issues, guys. As Konfusion said, it creates...well, confusion (not to mention a completely unrealistic, unfair advantage). Defenses don't call their plays totally blind and just guessing what players are going to be on the field. If you have an offensive player at a position on the depth chart he shouldn't be, it's going to be a strike starting in week 2. As stated in the rules in the OP, it's one thing if a TE is your #6 receiver...or even your #2 fullback.

But having FBs as a #1 TE creates a problem (for arguments sake, I'm guessing that's not a position that can be edited can it? If it can...that would solve the issue). As for the 3rd down back, I think putting a receiver there is crap. It's cheesy and garbage...especially to run screen plays out of. If that persists, some people could just get a straight up boot. This league isn't here for people to be cheap as shit. It's called 3rd down BACK for a reason.

Again, I'll reiterate these are DEPTH CHART issues. Designed plays have been and will continue to be exempt. But if you're pulling cheap crap with your depth chart, the hammer is coming.

[quote name='Yo Soy El Tiger']and foster is #1 correct?....250yrds rushing he gets a little tired

either way i will change my depth chart...hitting auto obv. makes people upset[/QUOTE]

It would also be wise not to cop this attitude, or you'll find your time here very brief. So, you allowed MADDEN to control your depth chart...and you completely trust MADDEN to make fair and reasonable decisions? That doesn't just free you of any responsibility. It's your team. It's your lineup. Do you think it's reasonable to have a WR on your 3rd down back depth chart? That's the issue. Fix it. Don't let it happen again. Move on.

[quote name='Dark Rider']DVO is correct about this. If you resign someone it takes over the next year. Last year when I re-signed Knowshon Moreno, he was being paid like 3M a year. I re-signed him to like a 3-yr 3M deal and it took over the next year. When I traded him the breakdown was something like:

2013 - 3M
2014 - 900K
2015 - 950K
2016 - 1.15M

The last year of his contract was still paid, and the new contract started the next year.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's good. Not sure where Gamerdude was seeing the increase in cap room from then.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, that's good. Not sure where Gamerdude was seeing the increase in cap room from then.[/QUOTE]

I remember my cap increased from resigning Freeman to a new deal, cause I used that space to sign an extra FA last year during the season (somewhere around week 3 I believe). I'll have to check the numbers next time I'm on. I also saw that one of the Bengals players that DVO signed to a longer deal is now making only 360K this season when he was going to make closer to a million. And besides, if we're all agreed this is the last season (which seems pretty clear-cut to me), why even bother signing these guys to new deals?

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']It would also be wise not to cop this attitude, or you'll find your time here very brief. So, you allowed MADDEN to control your depth chart...and you completely trust MADDEN to make fair and reasonable decisions? That doesn't just free you of any responsibility. It's your team. It's your lineup. Do you think it's reasonable to have a WR on your 3rd down back depth chart? That's the issue. Fix it. Don't let it happen again. Move on.[/QUOTE]

Already fixed

[quote name='GpNinja']Anybody know a better way to contact matt? Still haven't heard back.[/QUOTE]

If you've PM'd him on here and messaged him on XBL, I can't think of any better way. Hopefully you hear from him soon. Not sure how many games we have left.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']If you've PM'd him on here and messaged him on XBL, I can't think of any better way. Hopefully you hear from him soon. Not sure how many games we have left.[/QUOTE]

I responded to his PM several hours ago, before that post was made. Maybe he's been having the same problem I have regarding PM notifications on CAG mobile. I explained that I signed off yesterday because, after the game disconnected, it said he was offline and so I moved on to other stuff. I also mentioned I'd be at a WrestleMania party today til about 8 P.M. Pacific. If he can play then (assuming we're not holding things up), great. If not, I guess it's Nate's call.

[quote name='Matt Young']I responded to his PM several hours ago, before that post was made. Maybe he's been having the same problem I have regarding PM notifications on CAG mobile. I explained that I signed off yesterday because, after the game disconnected, it said he was offline and so I moved on to other stuff. I also mentioned I'd be at a WrestleMania party today til about 8 P.M. Pacific. If he can play then (assuming we're not holding things up), great. If not, I guess it's Nate's call.[/QUOTE]
I am free all night and tomorrow. So I can play whenever you can.

Vikings beat CPU Packers 34-16. All Day picked over 170 yards and 2 TDs, giving him 100 career touchdowns. Percy Harvin and Matt Schaub also played well.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Tomorrow is the deadline and this league will end in June anyways so I don't think there is a problem broseph[/QUOTE]

What time is the deadline midnight?

[quote name='perdition(troy']When all the games are done that day. If its midnight then midnight. If everyone is done before then awesome. That's how it's always been.[/QUOTE]
Is everybody done? Lol

thanks for the clarification, and no hate towards yo soy, he would have beat me without those plays for sure, but if that was something legal i would be doing it because it has an advantage and if everyone is doing it then id be as well

[quote name='perdition(troy']No clue Ive only been on played my game and got off[/QUOTE]

Oh crap ya everybodys waiting on us.

I had your cell number on my old phone but not this one. That would have made things easier, heh. I can play roughly 10 minutes after WrestleMania ends, which will be at or before 8 Pacific/11 Eastern. What do ya say?

[quote name='Matt Young']I had your cell number on my old phone but not this one. That would have made things easier, heh. I can play roughly 10 minutes after WrestleMania ends, which will be at or before 8 Pacific/11 Eastern. What do ya say?[/QUOTE]

I do whenever you can ill pm you my number again

[quote name='scrub0bk']thanks for the clarification, and no hate towards yo soy, he would have beat me without those plays for sure, but if that was something legal i would be doing it because it has an advantage and if everyone is doing it then id be as well[/QUOTE]

None taken. ..good game

I think me and matt deserve game of the year for that game. The lead changed like 3 times with under a minute left I hope I don't have to play another nailbiter like that. GG

[quote name='Dark Rider']DVO is correct about this. If you resign someone it takes over the next year. Last year when I re-signed Knowshon Moreno, he was being paid like 3M a year. I re-signed him to like a 3-yr 3M deal and it took over the next year. When I traded him the breakdown was something like:

2013 - 3M
2014 - 900K
2015 - 950K
2016 - 1.15M

The last year of his contract was still paid, and the new contract started the next year.[/QUOTE]

Just to take another look at this, I went back and double checked the numbers this morning and I'm pretty sure thats not right. Lets take a look at Von Miller's contract for example: In my online Skins franchise that I started before joining this league and then lost interest in a few weeks into the season, Von Miller's cap hit on the team salaries page for the 2014 season is $6.86 M. Now if you go look at the team salaries page in our league, Miller's cap hit is only $3.89 M after you signed him to this new deal. Considering there should have been no circumstance that restructured his contract beforehand since he hasnt relocated, he should be entering the last year of this deal and making the $6.86 M. So unless you want to tell me the game randomly decided to pay him $3 million less, something is off here.

For another example, look at the Bengals with Darren Sproles and Jermaine Gresham. Sproles is now going to make 970K this year (970K for a 93 OVR HB? Real NFL :roll:), and Gresham will make $2.11 M. In my Skins franchise (which should reflect most real NFL contracts as of the start of this league), Sproles' 2014 cap hit is $3.63 million, and Gresham's is $4.15 million. Even if you wanna chalk Sproles up to his numbers getting messed up cause of the trade, you still gotta look at that and think paying your starting HB whos a 93 OVR 970K is pretty silly. And Gresham, again, unless the game randomly decided to pay him $2 million less, it seems pretty clear that resigining these guys definitely affects your current cap numbers.

[quote name='JoelyPoley']I don't understand why anyone cares if we resign our players and its effect on the cap space.[/QUOTE]

Ya i dont get it either we have done it every season why does it matter now?

[quote name='JoelyPoley']I don't understand why anyone cares if we resign our players and its effect on the cap space.[/QUOTE]

Because its a really lame way to magically gain millions in cap space in the last year of the league? Cap space that suddenly lets you trade for a player you couldn't afford before, or in the case of guys resigning without bonuses you can duck out of their cap penalty if you trade them? Because it makes the finances Aspect of this league even more of a joke than it already is? If people want to do it thats their business but let's at least acknowledge that it's fucking cheap shit to pull in the final year after all the talk we had about contract restructuring.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Because its a really lame way to magically gain millions in cap space in the last year of the league? Cap space that suddenly lets you trade for a player you couldn't afford before, or in the case of guys resigning without bonuses you can duck out of their cap penalty if you trade them? Because it makes the finances Aspect of this league even more of a joke than it already is? If people want to do it thats their business but let's at least acknowledge that it's fucking cheap shit to pull in the final year after all the talk we had about contract restructuring.[/QUOTE]

Decaf bro

Dsmn bro calm down... explain to me how its any cheaper than signing players to huge contracts u wont have to pay on later becuz there wont be more seasons. And its not like people knew its not like it was anyones intent and its nothing we can do to change it now and the players still have there bonus.

I still don't think you're correct, at least not from mine and DVO's experiences. However, If you are, what's the worst that can happen? I am now able to sign two extra 65 OVR Cornerbacks?

Sorry, guys. I fell asleep on the floor in my daughter's room last night trying to convince her to sleep in her crib. Now, my body is reminding me how old I am and that I shouldn't be sleeping on floors, lol. Ugh...anyway, we've advanced to Week 2!

Deadline will be 4/11!

[quote name='GamerDude316']Because its a really lame way to magically gain millions in cap space in the last year of the league? Cap space that suddenly lets you trade for a player you couldn't afford before, or in the case of guys resigning without bonuses you can duck out of their cap penalty if you trade them? Because it makes the finances Aspect of this league even more of a joke than it already is? If people want to do it thats their business but let's at least acknowledge that it's fucking cheap shit to pull in the final year after all the talk we had about contract restructuring.[/QUOTE]

I get your point, but I'm sorry, man. I just don't think it's physically possible for me to regulate ONE MORE bullshit loophole with this league. If contract extensions are broken, they're broken. It's basically just another friendly reminder that you're playing an EA game. And even if this is annoying, at this point, team's have already done it...and it is what it is.

I don't think it's such an egregious offence that a huge stink needs to be made about it. You could argue that this is Madden's actual version of "contract restructuring"...star players redoing the final year of their deals so their teams can be more competitive. The dollar amounts may not be 100% authentic, but at least the concept is.

And not that this really plays into it much at all, but this was posted as well:

[quote name='DVO21']EDIT: is there any chance at all of another season in league? i know the plan is not to do that but if theres enough people that want to maybe we still could.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I just don't know if there's going to be time, mathematically. I doubt I'll want to play all the way up to the launch of the next game...maybe EXTREMELY casually. But I really wouldn't be putting in much effort at all at that point.[/QUOTE]

That's really just one of those "never say never" things, but teams carrying about business as normal won't hurt. If we get to the end and have 10 people who want to just see how their team has grown, I'm not going to forbid them from playing.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']I get your point, but I'm sorry, man. I just don't think it's physically possible for me to regulate ONE MORE bullshit loophole with this league. If contract extensions are broken, they're broken. It's basically just another friendly reminder that you're playing an EA game. And even if this is annoying, at this point, team's have already done it...and it is what it is.

I don't think it's such an egregious offence that a huge stink needs to be made about it. You could argue that this is Madden's actual version of "contract restructuring"...star players redoing the final year of their deals so their teams can be more competitive. The dollar amounts may not be 100% authentic, but at least the concept is.

And not that this really plays into it much at all, but this was posted as well:

That's really just one of those "never say never" things, but teams carrying about business as normal won't hurt. If we get to the end and have 10 people who want to just see how their team has grown, I'm not going to forbid them from playing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get that. I just think its stupid that we can allow this kind of contract restructure and ban others. The Bucs have some RETARDED contracts that I would love to cut and restructure so I can make other moves but we disallowed that, yet teams can easily free upwards of $5 million by resigning guys in their last year and that's allowed.

this is my 1st season but i dont foresee and issue with me not wanting to complete another season. With the new consoles expecting later this year, im not sure when I'll be buying the new system so I may not even buy the new madden until I would buy the new console, so with that said I am not worried about the launch of madden 25 until I make a decision on the next system, but thats just me.

[quote name='jbake_11']this is my 1st season but i dont foresee and issue with me not wanting to complete another season. With the new consoles expecting later this year, im not sure when I'll be buying the new system so I may not even buy the new madden until I would buy the new console, so with that said I am not worried about the launch of madden 25 until I make a decision on the next system, but thats just me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is totally just you, lol. I think most people in here don't even plan to get the new system any time soon. And this league will definitely move on to Madden 25. And most of us have been playing this game since August. The last thing I want is to be feeling burnt out on football the day Madden 25 comes out.

bread's done
Back