CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

Everything is an argument. :(

I am looking forward to when this season is over and people get a breather from this game, then starting over fresh with Madden 25. I really enjoy this league and hope it sticks around.

[quote name='Superstar']Everything is an argument. :(

I am looking forward to when this season is over and people get a breather from this game, then starting over fresh with Madden 25. I really enjoy this league and hope it sticks around.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Like I said before, I feel like a lot of it just stems from frustration with the game. There are a few areas where I think this game improved on Madden 12 (pass trajectories, defensive players having their backs turned, contracts/salary cap, etc), but when you counter that with what they screwed up (no defensive assignments, squib kick glitch, no onside kick warning, can't change playbook without retiring coach, contract exploits, etc), I think it made for a more frustrating experience...especially when you're talking about removing features that were already there. Yearly iterations of games should be building off of what was already there. Two steps forward, two steps back is literally spinning your wheels.

[quote name='slofton']Everything is NOT an argument! You're completely wrong!

:)[/QUOTE]

LMAO...I'm just going to go with everyone being wrong except me. That sounds like a winning platform. ;)

[quote name='slofton']Also. Revis to the Bucs! Whoo! Revis/Goldson/Barron secondary. I'm stoked.[/QUOTE]

If revis is back to normal thats a very dangerous team to pass on

HA! You can tell how over this game I am. I was starting to wonder why my opponent hadn't contacted me yet. I finally got around to looking who I play...and it's CPU Green Bay. Damn you, computer! Send me a message next time! :rofl:

I've only played one human opponent this season. That was in week 1. I played the CPU Packers, Minnesota on autopilot, and the Detroit game was simmed. I have the CPU Rams this week, and the CPU Colts next week.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I've only played one human opponent this season. That was in week 1. I played the CPU Packers, Minnesota on autopilot, and the Detroit game was simmed. I have the CPU Rams this week, and the CPU Colts next week.[/QUOTE]

What a creampuff schedule. ;)

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What a creampuff schedule. ;)[/QUOTE]

Shit. With the way I feel about the game now, I'd would've already quit if I'd had to schedule games every week up to now. I can barely find the motivation to play the CPU games.

Saints over the Bucs 31-21 in a real close game. Difference maker was at the end of the 1st half after I picked him off I forced a bad throw that he returned to my 4 yard line and ran a TD in with Wilson before time expired. Also couldnt recover the onside kick I needed late. Ah well.

GG Superstar!

Games left:

Redskins/Browns (9:30 tonight)
Titans/CPU Packers
Vikings/Cardinals (any word?)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I like the helmets. The jerseys aren't too bad, I guess. I think they'd look better without that Jags patch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, minus the patch, I think the jags new unis look pretty good. And I'm usually pretty tough on unis. The two-tone helmet is odd, but I think it will grow on me.

I need to see more of the Vikings and Phins unis before I say more, but from that pic, they look like way too much of the same. Atleast JAX looks like it went for a true makeover. I do commend Miami for trying a new logo though.

[quote name='GamerDude316']Saints over the Bucs 31-21 in a real close game. Difference maker was at the end of the 1st half after I picked him off I forced a bad throw that he returned to my 4 yard line and ran a TD in with Wilson before time expired. Also couldnt recover the onside kick I needed late. Ah well.

GG Superstar!

Games left:

Redskins/Browns (9:30 tonight)
Titans/CPU Packers
Vikings/Cardinals (any word?)[/QUOTE]
Been super busy, haven't contacted him and he hasn't contacted me. Sim it.

[quote name='perdition(troy']As long as all games are done hopefully someone is on and can tell me who the lions play[/QUOTE]

Packers (frankysox)

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']Have to put my daughter to bed. Then I'll be advancing us.[/QUOTE]

Alright just wondering. ...obv. no rush....wasn't trying to be pushy

[quote name='DVO21']Bengals send
WR Rishard Matthews Age 24 Overall 76
contract length 4 years with 2 years remaining Bonus: N/A
2014: 490K
2015: 530K

Catch 87
CIT 86
Spec 83
RTE 75
Release 85
Speed 86
Accel 84

Bengals cap space 11.30 million

Texans send
WR Denarious Moore Age 25 Overall 80
contract length 4 years with 1 year remaining Bonus: N/A
2014: 550K

Catch 87
CIT 75
Spec 95
RTE 76
Release 77
Speed 94
Accel 95

Texans Cap Space 10.45 million

Texans Reasoning: looking for a WR with better hands and mostly CIT doesnt care much for speed.

Bengals Reasoning: i have alot of WRs just like Mathews slow with good hands so Moore would bring more speed to the WR Core along with opening the running game more for sproles.[/QUOTE]

Trade Rejected

The committee didn't think this was enough for Moore. We all know what speed does in this game. Matthews might have the edge in CIT, but Moore is also significantly better in SPC...so that kind of cancels each other out. Ultimately, the majority felt that Moore is a better receiver and the trade wasn't even.

And we have now advanced to Week 6. I'll tell you though, injuries still aren't on, lol. And here's the reason (and really why it's been easy to forget about them). I've been advancing from the website for some time now. And thanks to EA's hideous programming and web design, just like I can't put people on auto pilot from the website, I can't change settings from the website either.

Sooooo...the next time I'm in the game, I'm just going to turn injuries on...and whoever it affects, it affects. I should have just done it when I played my game earlier today...but I didn't think about it. Why? Because it's Madden in April. Due to this great error in service, I'll be giving you all a 20% refund on your monthly dues. ;)

Deadline for Week 6 games will be 4/27.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']And we have now advanced to Week 6. I'll tell you though, injuries still aren't on, lol. And here's the reason (and really why it's been easy to forget about them). I've been advancing from the website for some time now. And thanks to EA's hideous programming and web design, just like I can't put people on auto pilot from the website, I can't change settings from the website either.

Sooooo...the next time I'm in the game, I'm just going to turn injuries on...and whoever it affects, it affects. I should have just done it when I played my game earlier today...but I didn't think about it. Why? Because it's Madden in April. Due to this great error in service, I'll be giving you all a 20% refund on your monthly dues. ;)

Deadline for Week 6 games will be 4/27.[/QUOTE]

Are we advanced to week 7 yet?

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']We could just sim the rest of the season and see what happens, lol.[/QUOTE]

Hell no! Im actually doing decent! lol Once I start into my usual losing streak, then we'll consider this :D

I guess our reasonings didnt help doc good news is stephen hill who was worth nothing of trade value at one point in this league should be worth something now

Looks like Reggie got his third player of the week award for this year.

For anyone wondering, here's our immortals. Slowly they will fall, and we will pop champagne when everyone is beaten. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Ravens (5-0)
Giants (5-0)
Broncos (5-0)
49ers (4-0)
Bills (4-0)

[quote name='DVO21']I guess our reasonings didnt help doc good news is stephen hill who was worth nothing of trade value at one point in this league should be worth something now[/QUOTE]

Totally. The only difference being that Moore is actually a really good receiver. Has your new league started yet? :D

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Totally. The only difference being that Moore is actually a really good receiver. Has your new league started yet? :D[/QUOTE]

Has madden 25 been released

SPC means absolutely nothing. SPC just in the animation you see when someone does a not possible catch (the 10 yard dive or 15 foot jump). CIT is all that matters.

That's like comparing awareness and carrying.

[quote name='perdition(troy']SPC means absolutely nothing. SPC just in the animation you see when someone does a not possible catch (the 10 yard dive or 15 foot jump). CIT is all that matters.

That's like comparing awareness and carrying.[/QUOTE]

What Madden guide did you read that on?

About 15 attribute discussions and countless screw arounds with guys from the league. This is something that anyone in a madden sim league or on a trade committee should know and be aware of. Hence madden being more skewed towards CIT > CTH > SPC. Maybe if more people put time into learning what different things did they would have gotten better as seasons went on instead of getting worse from season to season. And I don't want to hear any no one had time for that bullshit. We are literally posting on a website about cheap games discussing fake madden football attributes.

Operation sports or Madden school are good sites for new players to use for reference for next years madden. Helpful communities and they will guide you in the right direction if you have questions or are trying to learn different things.

Here's my feeling on it...the constant discussion of "X stat doesn't matter', "Y stat is pointless", "Z stat is the only thing that is important" just disgusts me more and more with this series. All it proves is that EA doesn't put any effort at all into representing these players actual skill sets (which is why you see no name players dominate). It's just A + B = unstoppable. All we have to evaluate trades on is this numerical "value" system that EA claims affects how players perform. If that isn't reliable, then trying to evaluate it is a waste of our time.

And, of course, the guides and how to's are available to everyone. But I think you're a huge pussy if that's what you use as the basis of how you manage a video game football team. I'm just going to put that out there. It's basically a cheat sheet...and it's cowardly to be seeking out "the only stats that matter".

It's another way of showing that you care more about winning than you do about participating in a community league that is meant to be for fun. The problem, of course is that SOMEBODY is going to use these things...and then it becomes an "if you can't beat em, join em" situation. But again, it doesn't make me feel good about running that kind of league. I can tell you, I don't use these cheat guides. Is that why I'm not as competitive as I could be? Maybe. But I'm not playing a "paint by numbers" football game either.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
But I think you're a huge pussy if that's what you use as the basis of how you manage a video game football team. I'm just going to put that out there. It's basically a cheat sheet...and it's cowardly to be seeking out "the only stats that matter".
[/QUOTE]

Oh man... A thousand times this. I checked out one of those videos once, and it was five minutes of a guy going on about how the only stats that manner for cornerbacks are speed and height, and that shitty CBs with those ratings will outperform guys who should be better every time. It made me even more depressed when I realized he was right, and that this game really is just that simplistic at the end of the day.

Hold up, learning what attributes and skill matter and the putting XP points toward that is cheating? What the fuck? So we are all supposed to stare into the distance and dump points into awareness because it raises your overall? And bv you don't need a guide to know speed matters. But I'd rather have Haden then someone with 99 speed and 6'5 personally I don't believe the all speed all height view of madden attributes still matter

But whatever I don't give a shit I'm not having an argument about madden attributes or if the point of a league is to get better or not. You can keep talking to yourself if you want to. You play games to get better and have fun, to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're playing a shitty game where people are told to boost 3-4 attribute categories to dominate everybody, yes. How do you not see that this shit ruins the game? There was a similar problem in UFC 2009...where people could make fighters who were like a 99 in everything. It made everyone ridiculously fast, ridiculously powerful, etc. It was like playing with superheroes...and it wasn't any fun at all.

Now, Madden isn't quite to that extreme...but the fact that at least half of the attributes are said to "not matter" hurts the game. It just becomes a dick race to get players with SPD, ACC, CIT, MCV, PRS, etc. I'm not saying you SHOULD put points into awareness. I'm saying you should HAVE to. It shouldn't be possible to dominate the game with a player with an awareness of 10. And seeking out websites and advice on how to abuse it to the fullest ruins the game for everybody.

I think the larger point was that EA should be able to make a game where the best NFL players are also the best Madden players. But that's not the game we have, which is an indictment of the simulation. Scrubs can be stars based solely on one or two attributes, call it the Jeff Demps effect, so well named for a guy who seems unlikely to ever see a single NFL snap.

I don't think it's "cheating" to seek out the right attributes and to advance those, but I do agree that I wish we had a game where doing that wasn't a) necessary or b) a significant competitive advantage. Perhaps I quoted the wrong portion of n8's post to reflect that.

I do too BV but you we are stuck with what we got. I will tell you I'm tired of facing nickel man press, I don't remember the last D I played that wasn't running that. I'd prefer simplistic attributes that spelled it out for everyone just straight up but we will never get that so we are stuck relying on people guessing what different attributes do in forums like this one.

[quote name='bvharris']Oh man... A thousand times this. I checked out one of those videos once, and it was five minutes of a guy going on about how the only stats that manner for cornerbacks are speed and height, and that shitty CBs with those ratings will outperform guys who should be better every time. It made me even more depressed when I realized he was right, and that this game really is just that simplistic at the end of the day.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem I have...both of our leagues were created under the premise of being honorable, respectful, replicating real football, etc. Then the competitive aspect comes into it...and people start looking for areas where they can gain an advantage. Some of it is legitimate (learning how to read a defense, mixing up playcalling, seeing the field better, etc). But then some of it is just shady and underhanded (figuring out how to get the AI to act stupid, finding which no name players will perform like stars, dirty plays, etc).

Some offences are definitely worse than others, and honestly, a lot of it is things that just SHOULDN'T WORK if the game were programmed properly (same can be said of the NHL series...these games pretty much encourage cheesing and exploits at this point). But it is depressing to see what becomes the majority of people looking to win as a result of a flaw in the game, rather than their own increase in skill.

Obviously, that's going to be a point of contention. But when you look around the league and see these crazy abnormalities of tight ends and running backs at the top of the receiving charts, or see no name, practice squad players winning MVP awards, it ISN'T because you're just "da bomb at Madden".

You can justify it any way you want, but you're still the beneficiary of a poorly designed game. And sadly, it's most likely going to always be there, as the low hanging fruit for people to grab for easy success. At the end of the day, all we're left with is an honor system of people shaping their roster and running their teams without needing to fall back on "Maddenisms" for cheap success.

Not that there's any kind of surefire answer for this stuff...but just that thought has me considering doing a fantasy draft for next year. I'm just not sure if that would make things worse, with potentially allowing people to shape their entire team around these "key attributes" from the get go. Really, I just wish EA would make a better game.

bread's done
Back