CAGLS: Madden 25 Fan's League! Season 3 Complete! Jets Win! Thanks Everybody!

I suggest giving us the ability to select guys we want to sign like in the Owner League. We have 100 points to bid on players, whoever bids the most for the player, gets to sign him. Once that's over, we have the ability to sign who we want. I don't like the idea of being forbidden to sign free agents.
What happens when multiple people bid 100 points? Random draw? That doesn't seem fair.

I suggest giving us the ability to select guys we want to sign like in the Owner League. We have 100 points to bid on players, whoever bids the most for the player, gets to sign him. Once that's over, we have the ability to sign who we want. I don't like the idea of being forbidden to sign free agents.
As much as I appreciate that idea being throw out there, it's something that I think most will be against. General consensus seems that people want the lesser teams to have first opportunity for the higher priority free agents, which does make sense and is 100% understandable.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens when multiple people bid 100 points? Random draw? That doesn't seem fair.
Not disputing your point, but we didn't have a single person bid 100. Highest bid was 80, most if the ties came from the minimum bids. I contemplated doing the tiebreak by team need but decided to go random.

As much as I appreciate that idea being throw out there, it's something that I think most will be against. General consensus seems that people want the lesser teams to have first opportunity for the higher priority free agents, which does make sense and is 100% understandable.
This. That's the conclusion they reached in the official league, and I think it's almost even more important here. I don't think disallowing free agent signings entirely is necessary (I just said I'd be ok with it...as I don't care one way or the other). The only thing I want to make sure of is that the system isn't being exploited. If you haven't played in a Madden league before, it might blow your mind the lengths people will go to to gain an advantage.

We've seen people offering maximum length contracts with the knowledge that the contracts are backloaded and the franchise would never last into those seasons, we've seen people cut and re-sign players, again to reap the benefits of backloaded contracts where the cost for the first few years is the least. It probably sounds lame, but there are many times I long for simpler days of just "this is your team...do the best you can".

Having said that, the only reason at all I wouldn't just do what the official league is doing of waiting until Week 4 of the regular season to do free agency (based on record) is just because we're going to have some CPU teams who could sign some of those players. By that same token, we're playing on All-Pro, which some have felt is "too easy"...so maybe giving those CPU teams a little extra help isn't a bad thing.

My number one priority over all else is just keeping things as fair as possible to everyone involved. It's hard to determine skill level before we get started (though, for those who have been in the league several years, we have a general idea)...so other than outlawing free agency (even temporarily) or just doing a random selection order and attributing any unfairness to "bad luck", I'm not sure how many other options there are.

I absolutely appreciate the input though. I'm trying not to rule unilaterally on these things...but it seems to be generally slow goings in all Madden leagues so far this year. Not sure why that is.

You could just create a new league N8 and we can all join again. But anyone who screws up again should go to the back of the waiting list.
Is this a vote for waiting on the next roster update then? If we're going to restart the league, I'd like to at least get a little more stable of a roster where depth charts aren't all screwed up and ratings aren't questionable.

Not disputing your point, but we didn't have a single person bid 100. Highest bid was 80, most if the ties came from the minimum bids. I contemplated doing the tiebreak by team need but decided to go random.
The only reason I made this point was because I would have bid 100 on one person haha

Is this a vote for waiting on the next roster update then? If we're going to restart the league, I'd like to at least get a little more stable of a roster where depth charts aren't all screwed up and ratings aren't questionable.
Absolutely. 1 extra week would help stable out rosters, maybe fill a few extra spots, and give the rest of the people who haven't even turned on the game a set deadline.

Hey guys. I have mulled over this for days now. I know that the Eagles were already taken, but I can not play in a fans league with a team that I could care less if a nuclear bomb hit the city (Houston). I know stat wise the Texans are a better team than the Eagles, but I can't play with a team I don't care for. I am not asking for the rules to be changed, but I don't want to spend my free time committing to something I wouldn't like to do. I already do that and it's called work. If the owner of the Eagles drops out or something happens, I would like to be a part of the "fans" league, but being tied to a team I don't care about is not for me. Sorry.

Honestly, I don't have a problem waiting until next week to start. I think the rosters will be a little bit more organized. I know for a fact that the Panthers are missing a couple of undrafted rookies. I am also hoping that their rating will go up based on their strong performance against Seattle.

Is anyone else still playing ultimate team? I wish they still had the all-pro packs. I have bought probably six pro packs and have gotten nothing over 84 OVR. Has anyone had any success with the pro packs? I did get a first round bye in the playoffs though. I have that going for me.

Hey guys. I have mulled over this for days now. I know that the Eagles were already taken, but I can not play in a fans league with a team that I could care less if a nuclear bomb hit the city (Houston). I know stat wise the Texans are a better team than the Eagles, but I can't play with a team I don't care for. I am not asking for the rules to be changed, but I don't want to spend my free time committing to something I wouldn't like to do. I already do that and it's called work. If the owner of the Eagles drops out or something happens, I would like to be a part of the "fans" league, but being tied to a team I don't care about is not for me. Sorry.
Well, that solves that issue, lol.

Seriously though, I appreciate your honesty, and completely understand where you're coming from. If it makes you feel any better, the guy who has the Eagles is a returning player who also played as them last year. So, it's not like some new guy just came in and snatchd them away from you. He's just been here longer. Simple as that. I'll drop you back down to the waiting list then, and make note of your allegience.

Honestly, I don't have a problem waiting until next week to start. I think the rosters will be a little bit more organized. I know for a fact that the Panthers are missing a couple of undrafted rookies. I am also hoping that their rating will go up based on their strong performance against Seattle.
All right...this seems to be the direction we're heading. Hopefully the estimate of Thursday wasn't just BS. It would make sense for them to do an "after Week 1" update though...as this roster definitely felt like a bit of a rush job.

Ran into some work issues so didn't get a chance to play madden before noon for the invite. Will get on soon, and post here when I do.

Just wanted to pop in and post this information I posted in the other leagues, I apologize if I am intruding or this gets marked as Spam :

We were considering doing a 3 on 3 type tourney / mini season type thing the idea was brought up by myself via groupme chat and is still fresh but its something extra to do and not pull any people away from here but just offer up maybe one game a week and some more Madden for those who love the game. I say once a week because it will be a little complicated getting six people online at the same time, but it would be fun none the less, if you are interested shoot me a pm once the reserve is met of people interested , I will create a thread. I am open to suggestions on how it can be done, it would also be cool if you have a headset and are willing to party up with your team if need be.

Just wanted to pop in and post this information I posted in the other leagues, I apologize if I am intruding or this gets marked as Spam :

We were considering doing a 3 on 3 type tourney / mini season type thing the idea was brought up by myself via groupme chat and is still fresh but its something extra to do and not pull any people away from here but just offer up maybe one game a week and some more Madden for those who love the game. I say once a week because it will be a little complicated getting six people online at the same time, but it would be fun none the less, if you are interested shoot me a pm once the reserve is met of people interested , I will create a thread. I am open to suggestions on how it can be done, it would also be cool if you have a headset and are willing to party up with your team if need be.
I appreciate the offer, but I just don't really have time for something like this. It's too bad EA hasn't promoted this mode more though. The NHL series has had online team play since the 09 game, even allowing you to create your own club and player, that you can progress and improve by playing to a set standard. They've also added leagues, playoff tournaments, etc over the years. We've had a CAG team playing that every week since 2008, and it's provided some great times. Madden's mode just seems way less thought out.

Oh really? I've been following the EA Madden Twitter and they haven't said anything about it. If that's the case, I'll get us set back up and invites sent back out as soon as I get my daughter down for her nap.
Follow @Donny_Moore, he is the roster guy for Madden

All right, the new league has been set up and invites are going out! There are still a couple odd things with the new roster, but we'll just have to roll with it. Depth charts are still not right. They're basically just slapped together based on the OVR of your players in that scheme. So, if your #1 WR takes an OVR hit because of the scheme EA has him in, he could be dropped to #4. It's dumb, but it's fixable. On the positive side, I have seen additional players who should be there, and the removal of players who shouldn't be there. So, this is probably as good as EA is going to do, lol.

When you join the league...MAKE SURE YOU CREATE A COACH

And in case you haven't caught it from the other leagues, you will need to go into league settings and make these changes for yourself:

Fill Roster: Off

Auto Swap: On

Ballhawk: On

Heatseek: On

We also still need a final ruling on free agency. So far, it seems like the idea is to just let the CPU have at it in the beginning, and do a round of draft style free agency based on record around Week 4 of the regular season. Speak up if you're adamently opposed to that or have a better idea.

Other than that, let's try to get everyone joined as quickly as possible. This took a bit longer to get started than I expected, and I'd like to get us through the pre-season as quickly as possible.

Personally, I'd like one round of free agency. However, since the best way to do it is probably going by team overall, I'm not staunchly in favor.

Unrelated, but I'm guessing we're bringing the trade committee back this year?

lol..

After accepting the league invite, I was creating my coach, and Madden froze on me. I logged back in and I am in the league for Dallas and my coaches name is "New Coach"

lol..

After accepting the league invite, I was creating my coach, and Madden froze on me. I logged back in and I am in the league for Dallas and my coaches name is "New Coach"
I can boot you and send you a new invite. Just don't retire from the league. That's what blacklists you from your team. I probably won't get a chance to do it until this evening though. Got a pretty busy Saturday today.

I can boot you and send you a new invite. Just don't retire from the league. That's what blacklists you from your team. I probably won't get a chance to do it until this evening though. Got a pretty busy Saturday today.
If you can do that, thanks. I didn't retire or anything. Take your time - I am doing some work today anyhow.

Thanks!

13 of 24 people have joined. Still waiting on:

Twick87

Panoramic15

swift fix

KasterDB

bfauble83

scrub0bk

dr0ppinl0adz

mvp828

KingofOldSchool

sicsonic

lyric706

Sending out a mass PM to these guys. Hoping we can get everyone in as soon as possible.

13 of 24 people have joined. Still waiting on:

Twick87

Panoramic15

swift fix

KasterDB

bfauble83

scrub0bk

dr0ppinl0adz

mvp828

KingofOldSchool

sicsonic

lyric706

Sending out a mass PM to these guys. Hoping we can get everyone in as soon as possible.
I joined up with my coach. did it not work?

I joined up with my coach. did it not work?
I'm not seeing you on there. The league was recreated yesterday with the new roster update though. So, yeah, you'll need to do it again if you're referring to the original league that was set up with the opening day rosters.

Just a little FYI about my experience with injuries in this madden. In one seasons my QB broke his collar bone the first game, came back 8 weeks later and broke is collar bone again. Then came back 8 weeks later and broke his toe in the playoffs. Out for another 8 weeks. Anyone else had this issue? Three broken bones in one season.

sorry i havent been able to get on again. i will try to tonight but i cant guarentee due to work and the baseball game im going to tonight. but tomorrow for sure, sorry if i'm holding anyone up

18 people have joined the league. That still leaves 6 who haven't.

Panoramic15

swift fix

scrub0bk

KingofOldSchool

sicsonic

lyric706

I'm strongly considering just putting a deadline on this of tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11:59PM EST. At that point, we'll get things moving in the preseason, and if people's teams make moves or do things they don't like, then that's just the way it goes. As most people know, this league advances every four days. So, if people are having trouble just accepting an invite over a four day stretch, they need to get their ass in gear.

Superstar, you've also been booted and re-invited. I also noticed that DVO21 also had "New Coach" for his guy. I wasn't sure if he had a similar issue or what, but I just went ahead and booted him too. So, DVO, you've also got a new invite waiting. If that was intentional or you just didn't care about your coaches name, sorry. It's just such a pain in the ass to get back to that menu, I wanted to get it all taken care of at the same time.

So did we decide what we're doing for free agency?
After talking it over with a few people, I basically feel like there are two options.

A) We close off free agency to human teams until Week 4 of the regular season, at which point (depending on how many high profile free agents are left), we do a round of drafting based on record.

B) Since we have no real way of determining skill at this point, and using team OVR or cap space isn't any more arbitrary, we use a random number generator to do a round of free agency drafting immediately. Even if we did this though, it's really not something I want to hold us up any longer for. So, basically, this would be, you can sign a guy when it's your turn...but if the CPU snatches up players in the meantime throughout the course of us advancing through the preseason, that's just the way it goes.

Ultimately, I don't care much about the players available in free agency. It's mostly past their prime former stars who have high OVRs that don't always translate to success in Madden. Sure, they can provide depth, but it's nothing to write home about. And like I said, my biggest objective is not holding things up anymore than we already have. Everybody can feel free to vote for A or B though, haha.

Are there any openingsin this league?
I'm a pretty big cleveland browns fan and go to most home games. I was in the league last year and know I had some people question my ability. This mainly due to an outstanding team I was fortunate enough to recieve

Seems like it. In that case, would anyone be opposed to pitfallharry's suggestion of just simming the preseason? (with injuries off, of course) I wouldn't suggest that in subsequent seasons when there are new rookies to try out and big cuts to make. But for this first season, we should be pretty familiar with what we have...and since it's just the default roster, we've been able to test our team out offline if need be. Would anyone mind this?

There are still 5 people who haven't joined (though one is DVO21 who I booted/re-invited due to the "New Coach" thing). Of the others, Panoramic15 and sicsonic haven't been on CAG in days (last I looked, they hadn't even read my original PM from 9/14). And swift fix and lyric706 have seen the PM and just not joined yet. And none of them have seen the PM I sent 24 hours ago. I understand people are busy. We all are. Either way, this train is rolling out of the station tonight. You can either get on or catch it at the next stop. Your seat just might look a little different then, lol.

My only other thought about preseason, is I'll have to leave at least a 24 hour period at some point because most rosters have more than 53 players (Titans have 59), so you'll need to make your cuts or the CPU will do them for you. If people want to go ahead and make their cuts now, feel free. I just want everyone to be aware of this.

bread's done
Back